Northam End to be home fans only + safe standing (new updates)

CSA96

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

Having been to most away games for the last few years i have no faith in our support not being embarrassing dins, in fact at multiple aways this season i've moved away from the library bantz weirdos, and the less said about the noddies that started doing "the poznan" at arsenal away the better

Can you remind me how I can avoid being an embarrassing din? I really don't want to look bad in front of the other fans 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The idea of fan zones and improving the 'experience' for fans with things to do outside the stadium is a good little idea.

Keep those young kids coming, who'll hopefully develop into long-term supporters as adults.

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

Having been to most away games for the last few years i have no faith in our support not being embarrassing dins

Everyone has their own way of supporting the team, probably a fair chance there's plenty of our travelling support who would have a similar opinion of you.

26 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Why aren't they putting in safe standing for the away fans? 

Would seem an obvious thing to do as part of the changes, perhaps we aren't bothered about the safety of away fans 😅

There will be some safe standing in the away end. Don't think it'll be the whole away section though.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

Why aren't they putting in safe standing for the away fans? 

Would seem an obvious thing to do as part of the changes, perhaps we aren't bothered about the safety of away fans 😅

They are.

Just trying to catch up with this thread so apologies if I've missed a response on this already!

Love my seat in Block 15 which is soon to become part of the family stand. Are we gonna get told that we have no choice but to move if none of our groups season tickets are kids ones? We wouldn't switch to the Northam as one of ours is a concession and doesn't want a standing seat, and moving to the Kingsland/Itchen centre would be a big price hike for us so doesn't leave us many options. Really wanted to stay where we are but have a feeling that if it's a family stand we may not be able to...anybody know the answer to this already? I know the club will announce it in the coming weeks but if we need to move I'd like to start thinking about it now 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Leighsterrr said:

Just trying to catch up with this thread so apologies if I've missed a response on this already!

Love my seat in Block 15 which is soon to become part of the family stand. Are we gonna get told that we have no choice but to move if none of our groups season tickets are kids ones? We wouldn't switch to the Northam as one of ours is a concession and doesn't want a standing seat, and moving to the Kingsland/Itchen centre would be a big price hike for us so doesn't leave us many options. Really wanted to stay where we are but have a feeling that if it's a family stand we may not be able to...anybody know the answer to this already? I know the club will announce it in the coming weeks but if we need to move I'd like to start thinking about it now 👍🏻

I'd of thought you would have to move from the family stand.

Maybe the equivalent priced seas will be available in the remaining seated areas of the Itchen/Northam and/or Kingsland/Northam corners, but I doubt it. Possibly the Chapel stand will be the `lower cost' stand, but more likely the safe standing Northam will be seen as the new lower cost option and everywhere else will be regular prices. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'd of thought you would have to move from the family stand.

Maybe the equivalent priced seas will be available in the remaining seated areas of the Itchen/Northam and/or Kingsland/Northam corners, but I doubt it. Possibly the Chapel stand will be the `lower cost' stand, but more likely the safe standing Northam will be seen as the new lower cost option and everywhere else will be regular prices. 

I'm in Block 16 so I'll also be in the Kids Zone.

One option is to move into Blocks 17 - 21 but presumably a lot of the people from 22 - 28 (the new away seats) may also want to move there.

I don't think that many of the current Chapel and Kingsland residents will want to stand as they tend to be a bit older.

• Like 1

Now womens football is so popular does this mean the birds in the crowd will start following their own team and leave the terraces back to the lads like how it should be?

• Haha 4

I’ve still not had an answer about whether there will be a net between blocks 28 (away fans) and block 29 (older home fans) !

If there is then I will have to squeeze past 28 seats to get in, out and go for a piss at half time ! There will be no option because one end will be blocked off !

Also need to know in advance which roads to the south will still be available to us !

Sent an email but no response so far…

4 minutes ago, Monk said:

Increased singing, buzz and general away day vibe as opposed to seating I suppose. 

Guessing the 😐 face is down to you getting paid to work at a certain club down the road 🤣

I'll probably make a beeline for safe standing as my back hurts if I sit down in stadium seats but I'm also curious if it will be priced competitively or are they going to charge more for the privilege of leaning against a bit of aluminium.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

I’ve still not had an answer about whether there will be a net between blocks 28 (away fans) and block 29 (older home fans) !

If there is then I will have to squeeze past 28 seats to get in, out and go for a piss at half time ! There will be no option because one end will be blocked off !

Also need to know in advance which roads to the south will still be available to us !

They don’t do replies ! Woeful service

4 hours ago, eurosaint said:

You would hope they're pulling out a "column" of seats from the away end to fit a barrier. 

43 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Instead of responding to 20,000 individual emails they’ll probably release the information at some point so people can work it out. 

A set of FAQ's would be the least they could do !

14 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Per the club's FAQs (linked above), the segregation will be in block 28.

17 hours ago, Leighsterrr said:

Sadly we have to move.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Unlikely, as I've always understood it UK stadium design regulations do not permit any seat to be more than 14 seats away from an exit aisle

17 hours ago, eurosaint said:

I'm in the same boat as you - literally.

This from FAQ's:

Away coaches will now be parking on Melbourne Road meaning home fans will be directed away from using Melbourne Road or accessing the stadium on the Kingsland/Chapel corner.

If you currently use this route, you’ll be directed along Marine Parade or you'll need to use one of the other entrance points to the stadium. 

Perhaps they'll now move coaches for ferry and station to Northam end.

4 minutes ago, Gru said:

I'm in the same boat as you - literally.

This from FAQ's:

Away coaches will now be parking on Melbourne Road meaning home fans will be directed away from using Melbourne Road or accessing the stadium on the Kingsland/Chapel corner.

If you currently use this route, you’ll be directed along Marine Parade or you'll need to use one of the other entrance points to the stadium. 

Perhaps they'll now move coaches for ferry and station to Northam end.

Any coaches going to Southampton Central could probably be switched to Britannia Road where the away coaches currently park, but I'd imagine it makes sense for the ferry ones to remain at the Chapel end, there are coach parking spots on Chapel Road that make it quick and easy to get away and in the right direction. 

5 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Any coaches going to Southampton Central could probably be switched to Britannia Road where the away coaches currently park, but I'd imagine it makes sense for the ferry ones to remain at the Chapel end, there are coach parking spots on Chapel Road that make it quick and easy to get away and in the right direction. 

Was wishful thinking really. 

Presumably fans leaving the Kingsland will be forced to turn right and make a circuit of the stadium to access coaches parked in Chapel Road.

Not great if pushed for time and/or not very mobile.

7 minutes ago, Gru said:

Was wishful thinking really. 

Presumably fans leaving the Kingsland will be forced to turn right and make a circuit of the stadium to access coaches parked in Chapel Road.

Not great if pushed for time and/or not very mobile.

Got to be a way of segregating down Melbourne Street - can imagine there's a lot of people in the Kingsland who would go that way, and blocking it off will only increase the pressure on the bridge in the Northam/Kingsland corner. Put the coaches in the crescent bit of Melbourne Street, allowing home fans in the Kingsland to still use the main road to exit the area, and home fans from the Itchen/Chapel can use Marina Parade if they are travelling in that direction.

4 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Got to be a way of segregating down Melbourne Street - can imagine there's a lot of people in the Kingsland who would go that way, and blocking it off will only increase the pressure on the bridge in the Northam/Kingsland corner. Put the coaches in the crescent bit of Melbourne Street, allowing home fans in the Kingsland to still use the main road to exit the area, and home fans from the Itchen/Chapel can use Marina Parade if they are travelling in that direction.

Yeah, I hope you're right.

17 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

They don’t do replies ! Woeful service

try using "Corporate box hire" in the subject line. That seems to grab the eye.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, stevegrant said:

Everyone has their own way of supporting the team, probably a fair chance there's plenty of our travelling support who would have a similar opinion of you.

Probably think i'm dull at aways these days, tend to drink nowhere near our fans, turn up before kick off, watch the game, don't really join in with many songs as i hate the constant dirge of pompey/library songs, then go back to the pub.

I think i've spent more time talking to home fans on away days than our own fans in recent years.

• Like 3

On 18/04/2024 at 14:15, Chez said:

Anyone actually been to a game with safe standing? What's it like? It obviously doesn't offer the same thrills and experience as the packed terraces, but does it lend itself to more singing, more confidence to start a song, make an anonymous comment...

Its fab, Chelsea and Spurs were excellent occasions and a far better way to watch football. So much more room plus you have your own crossbar. Use to have to get the ground seriously early to get that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Unlikely, as I've always understood it UK stadium design regulations do not permit any seat to be more than 14 seats away from an exit aisle

Some people just need their imaginary problems so they have something to moan about.  Imagine the whingefest the nimbies must have had when we moved from the Dell to St Mary's and everyone had to change their seats and their routes to the ground. How did we ever manage to get through that?

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

You shouldn't have told him that. Some people need their imaginary problems so they have something to moan about.  Imagine the whingefest the nimbies must have had when we moved from the Dell to St Mary's and everyone had to change their seats and their routes to the ground. How did we ever manage to get through that?

we all decided on where we would go, the archers moved to the northam, under the east to the itchen north and the milton to the chapel (as a rule), it was actually pretty easy and most people were happy. Though a lot of people (myself included) mourned the Dell, as nice as St Mary's is/was it's never had the soul of the Dell due to the fact that it's a bowl and the seats are much further away from the pitch and the noise not so held in the ground.

As for the route i did feel for pubs like the Fitz that lost most of the revenue that kept them going, in fact a fair few of those pubs have no gone completely as a result of the dell closing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

You shouldn't have told him that. Some people need their imaginary problems so they have something to moan about.  Imagine the whingefest the nimbies must have had when we moved from the Dell to St Mary's and everyone had to change their seats and their routes to the ground. How did we ever manage to get through that?

Rumour has it that some never did, apparently they can still be seen wandering around Hill Lane and Archers Rd every Saturday afternoon

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

we all decided on where we would go, the archers moved to the northam, under the east to the itchen north and the milton to the chapel (as a rule), it was actually pretty easy and most people were happy. Though a lot of people (myself included) mourned the Dell, as nice as St Mary's is/was it's never had the soul of the Dell due to the fact that it's a bowl and the seats are much further away from the pitch and the noise not so held in the ground.

As for the route i did feel for pubs like the Fitz that lost most of the revenue that kept them going, in fact a fair few of those pubs have no gone completely as a result of the dell closing.

There was still a fair bit of debate, the Archers was a bit of a split in the end with a fair number picking the back of the Chapel for the first season but then most of them moved to the Northam after that when it became clear they were very much in the minority. It wasn't anywhere near as straightforward as you make out. It worked itself out after a year or two, but without anything physical to work with at the time (remember that 3D model that everyone got shown as an approximation of what your view would be like? :lol:) and relatively few of the fanbase using forums, communication and organisation was difficult.

1 hour ago, stevegrant said:

There was still a fair bit of debate, the Archers was a bit of a split in the end with a fair number picking the back of the Chapel for the first season but then most of them moved to the Northam after that when it became clear they were very much in the minority. It wasn't anywhere near as straightforward as you make out. It worked itself out after a year or two, but without anything physical to work with at the time (remember that 3D model that everyone got shown as an approximation of what your view would be like? :lol:) and relatively few of the fanbase using forums, communication and organisation was difficult.

the seating plans on here were a couple of years late pal.

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Need to make sure that this makes an appearance in this thread. It's only been a few weeks since it was last posted.

1705118.jpg?type=mds-article-962

Still our best shirt since 1885 tbf.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, macca155 said:

Its fab, Chelsea and Spurs were excellent occasions and a far better way to watch football. So much more room plus you have your own crossbar. Use to have to get the ground seriously early to get that.

& old Trafford 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, macca155 said:

No more limbs? I could get behind that. 

On 19/04/2024 at 08:53, trousers said:

Thanks for that, I obviously missed it and it does clarify most of my issues !

Sadly after more than 35 years as an ST holder I've decided to pack it in and get a membership in order to pick and choose when I go or don't go (also where I sit or don't sit)!

I totally accept that change suits some but not others so good luck to those you manage to get a satisfactory move 😇

For me standing will be better as get cramp in legs most games. The seats are ridiculously small with the gap fir seat in front not enough. Been in block 43, 13, 37 now 24. The corner views are much better not sure why can't buy in 39,39, 47,48 why just the block in red on map.

31 minutes ago, die Mannyschaft said:

For me standing will be better as get cramp in legs most games. The seats are ridiculously small with the gap fir seat in front not enough. Been in block 43, 13, 37 now 24. The corner views are much better not sure why can't buy in 39,39, 47,48 why just the block in red on map.

I agree, I'm 6ft 2 bloke and find it a squeeze sat down depending on who I'm next to, not enough leg room, find it much much more comfortable standing at games, think St Mary's must have been designed for the average fan being 5ft 8 and slim as width of seats isn't that big. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

If you want evidence it won’t work look at yesterday we had whole end good vocal support I thought yet we absolutely bottled it again.

money better spent on the pitch 

I sadly think the net result of all the changes will be lower season ticket sales and lower "attendances".

13 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I sadly think the net result of all the changes will be lower season ticket sales and lower "attendances".

Agreed piss off and move loads for what 3k? 
our focus should be on pitch get that right the noise and support will be there.

Not a crocked forward, not a wide man blocking youth like SAA, not wasted on a DCM the manager treats like shit.

The most important thing is the team and we again got recruiting wrong its why we were relegated 

• Like 3