Northam End to be home fans only + safe standing (new updates)

CSA96

2 hours ago, franniesTache said:

I cannot think of a better argument for keeping the away fans where they are than this shite, the last thing we need is tinpot fancy dress ultras, and if they have to happen then keep them the f*ck away from us in their own little bit in the Northam

Don’t think it says anywhere about Ultras

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

Don’t think it says anywhere about Ultras

"Big crowd flags – like you see in the leagues of Spain & Italy! And why not? Think big!

Run a group of supporters who have a passion for stadium atmosphere? Free to commit time outside of matchday to meet and plan new ideas – new songs, flags, player entrance music – anything, we will discuss it! Sign below – lets meet."

Sounds a lot like noddy ultras nonsense to me

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

"Big crowd flags – like you see in the leagues of Spain & Italy! And why not? Think big!

Run a group of supporters who have a passion for stadium atmosphere? Free to commit time outside of matchday to meet and plan new ideas – new songs, flags, player entrance music – anything, we will discuss it! Sign below – lets meet."

Loads of teams have things like that without them feeling the need to wear all black, let off pyro and bang a drum. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

Loads of teams have things like that without them feeling the need to wear all black, let off pyro and bang a drum. 

Like who? Every single club that does it at the moment are doing the ultra's bollocks, Ipswich, Boro, Palace, Huddersfield, Arsenal all come to mind.

By all means try and organise a better atmosphere but the minute you give yourselves a name and wave stupid flags around you're on route to a drum and a prick with a megaphone.

2 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Just don't understand why anyone would have a problem with this. Big flags, tifo's etc look great, help the atmosphere and give the stadium a bit of identity. Many other clubs do it. If you don't want to be a part of it then fine but personally I'm bored of being sat in a silent, lifeless stadium and anything that might change that is a positive.

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

Like who? Every single club that does it at the moment are doing the ultra's bollocks, Ipswich, Boro, Palace, Huddersfield, Arsenal all come to mind.

By all means try and organise a better atmosphere but the minute you give yourselves a name and wave stupid flags around you're on route to a drum and a prick with a megaphone.

Or even a bell 😂

• Haha 2

I’m booked in to attend. 6pm 25th.

Lots of differing views on this forum as you’d expect. And I am finding myself agreeing with arguments on both sides!

As a Northam ST holder I’m glad at least I’ve got opportunity to hear the rationale in person before decision is made. 

6 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Are we going to start doing pre match corteo walks as well? All the rage at the moment 

Oh FFS I knew it would only be a matter of time before some of our bellend fans started this shite. What started off as good intentions from the club will undoubtedly be turned into a few fans trying to make themselves important. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

it’s about £120 cheaper not £20. That’s the whole reason behind it. We have the same view as those in blocks 38-40 and Itchen North. Why should fans have to pay more for an atmosphere? 

another reason was to be far away from people giving it large to the away end all game but that’s beside the point. 

You’re paying more for seats which are more in demand, which is exactly my point. If your beloved chapel kop takes off (it won’t), your seats will no longer be £120 cheaper. 

£120 split across 23 games is £5 a game give or take. Incredible anyone would reduce their match day experience for the sake of £5, which by the look of the numbers you’re getting, they don’t. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

You’re paying more for seats which are more in demand, which is exactly my point. If your beloved chapel kop takes off (it won’t), your seats will no longer be £120 cheaper. 

£120 split across 23 games is £5 a game give or take. Incredible anyone would reduce their match day experience for the sake of £5, which by the look of the numbers you’re getting, they don’t. 

By that logic then the club should make the Northam more expensive next year yh?

Crazy to think that our 3 goals on Saturday came at the end where the Swansea fans were and we scored none facing our own. Our performance was much better facing their support than ours too.

Almost as if which fans are behind the goal isn't as important as some make it out to be.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

Crazy to think that our 3 goals on Saturday came at the end where the Swansea fans were and we scored none facing our own. Our performance was much better facing their support than ours too.

Almost as if which fans are behind the goal isn't as important as some make it out to be.

You cannot extrapolate from a single fame to a whole season. 

8 hours ago, LGTL said:

Oh FFS I knew it would only be a matter of time before some of our bellend fans started this shite. What started off as good intentions from the club will undoubtedly be turned into a few fans trying to make themselves important. 

First we had the Yellow Day at Blackburn away circa 2005 and now this. If this new club initiative means we have to see Crab Lungs wearing a plastic fireman's helmet again then that's it, season ticket going in the bin.

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Would results have been better?

We've won 9 home games in a row, so let's say no they wouldn't be.

As previously covered, we finished 8th, 7th, 6th in Prem plus back to back promotions with the fans where they are.

Let's say, at best, it's completely irrelevant variable.

It doesn't really matter to me what is done but we should not be doing it in the belief we will win more because of it. Because we 100% absolutely will not.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is why the club are so slow opening additional blocks of the Northam when away teams bring small followings. We already know Huddersfield have only taken 1,400 allocation so open blocks 43 and 44 straight away to give fans the choice of buying there. Instead they wait for other parts of the ground to sell out first so additional Northam blocks just end up being last min purchasers rather than fans who actively want to be there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

As previously covered, we finished 8th, 7th, 6th in Prem plus back to back promotions with the fans where they are.

It doesn't really matter to me what is done but we should not be doing it in the belief we will win more because of it. Because we 100% absolutely will not.

Dunno how Arsenal went unbeaten a whole season when their home matches were played with away fans behind one of the goals.

Perhaps they'd have gone 2 seasons unbeaten at home had they been in a side stand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

Dunno how Arsenal went unbeaten a whole season when their home matches were played with away fans behind one of the goals.

Perhaps they'd have gone 2 seasons unbeaten at home had they been in a side stand.

Unless it’s the cup aways are in the corner at Arsenal. Liverpool had behind the goal there with the bigger FA Cup allocation recently…..and beat them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

What I don't understand is why the club are so slow opening additional blocks of the Northam when away teams bring small followings. We already know Huddersfield have only taken 1,400 allocation so open blocks 43 and 44 straight away to give fans the choice of buying there. Instead they wait for other parts of the ground to sell out first so additional Northam blocks just end up being last min purchasers rather than fans who actively want to be there. 

And now even more reason to make them available straight away as all half-season-tickets put on sale in December were completely snapped up. Demand will only increase from now ‘til end of season.

5 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Unless it’s the cup aways are in the corner at Arsenal. Liverpool had behind the goal there with the bigger FA Cup allocation recently…..and beat them.

They weren't at the Emirates during the unbeaten season which I was referring to.

Though interestingly they've not won the league since moving to the Emirates despite winning 13 in the 75 years before that.

You'd think they'd have been more successful since they got the chance to stick the away fans in a corner.

4 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Everton must have been flying in recent years given they have away fans down the side and with crap views, and Wolves too, man those two must be challenging for the title every season.

18 hours ago, JRM said:

Are we going to start doing pre match corteo walks as well? All the rage at the moment 

I find it hilarious how they make those videos of themselves stood in a tunnel to make it look huge and intimidating, then you see it from another angle and it's only about 20 nerds dressed in black with a drum 🤣

Can't imagine how shit our version would be, a bunch of spotty kids in the underpass by six dials singing pompey get battered whilst holding a flag with a skull of it... it would actually be more embarrassing than the palace nigels and their macaroni and pva posters 🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JRM said:

Be interesting to see if the club offer smaller allocations to opposing teams towards the end of the season if we're likely to sell out which you'd imagine we would be.

We're not obligated to give 3k so don't see why we would if we're capable of selling them all ourselves.

7 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Perhaps they had a whole end who could create the noise rther than a small bunch of home fans to one side. That is the problem our fans can be outsung by the away as we only have a part section.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CB Fry said:

wasnt the ground closed to fans due to covid in one of those periods

17 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Fair point. Our home record has been appalling all season with the away fans behind the goal.

I think people are talking more about improving the atmosphere a bit than it suddenly leading to us winning the champions league. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, EssEffCee said:

Be interesting to see if the club offer smaller allocations to opposing teams towards the end of the season if we're likely to sell out which you'd imagine we would be.

We're not obligated to give 3k so don't see why we would if we're capable of selling them all ourselves.

Exactly this. If having away fans behind the goal is so detrimental, why have we continued to give them an extra 800 tickets than required. Could argue it’s due to revenue but we are prepared to spend thousands re jigging the whole ground. Plus half the games there’s enough demand for home fans in 43 and 44 and will be for the rest of the season if we keep up current form. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

wasnt the ground closed to fans due to covid in one of those periods

No. We finished 8th, 7th, 6th, 8th in 2014-2017.

We finished 11th in 2020/21.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I think people are talking more about improving the atmosphere a bit than it suddenly leading to us winning the champions league. 

Well that's not true is it. Some are but there are lots of people are saying that that away fans behind the goal makes a big difference, it's literally been argued on this thread. Though no one has suggested anything about the champions league as far as I can see.

The atmosphere question is a different debate entirely which is a valid one but also remains to be seen. I don't anticipate that away fans will sing less in a corner but maybe our support will get louder.

Soon find out seemingly. I think it's more likely that our support's just a bit shit personally and we have a lack of songs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

Exactly this. If having away fans behind the goal is so detrimental, why have we continued to give them an extra 800 tickets than required. Could argue it’s due to revenue but we are prepared to spend thousands re jigging the whole ground. Plus half the games there’s enough demand for home fans in 43 and 44 and will be for the rest of the season if we keep up current form. 

It's a good point, only need to give 2000 in the Championship so in the run in let's keep block 43 for ourselves and put it on sale from the start, not as an overspill once ground sold out. 

Some teams like Huddersfield, Hull, Preston (latter two midweek) will barely bring 1000 anyway, better filling the end than leaving blocks empty. 

1 hour ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

Agreed mate. Made sense to a degree up to now but I think there's a good chance we'll come close to selling out majority of Saturday games now as long as we're in the top two hunt.

I'd prefer the EFL took the same view as the Prem really but as the rules state less we should take advantage imo.

On 23/01/2024 at 11:44, franniesTache said:

If it's something like Newcastle and their flag displays before the game then I'm all for it.

If it's like Arsenal and their 'ultras' then it's a hard no from me.

15 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

If it's something like Newcastle and their flag displays before the game then I'm all for it.

If it's like Arsenal and their 'ultras' then it's a hard no from me.

The Newcastle Wor Flags lot are now doing noncey "corteos" to st james park and banging drums. So they're exactly the same as Arsenal's Tarquin army.

Truth is you know our most embarrassing elements, like the Saint Rob bloke who's all over social media, will start trying to do our own "ultras" thing via this. I mean they all did the f*cking "poznan" at Arsenal away.

• Like 1

One of the issues in Northam is that many people stand - but not all. I can understand those people who paid for a seat but not being able to watch because of people standing in front of them being aggrieved . 

I can also see the bind saints are in by not enforcing the No standing rule in Northam. We basically all stand in a seated area not designed for “ safe standing”. It is potentially unsafe ( so is anything though..) but IF saints are going to allow standing then at the very least it should be designed fit ( and safe) for purpose. 

WRT to relocating away fans to a corner instead of behind goals - well if RM and players feel it disadvantages them  playing towards noisy away support I can understand Saints wanting to use every 1% of advantage, real or imagined, possible also to back him. Arguments about the positive impact of a SMS KOP etc are largely all about showbiz imo. It might look nice and I don’t know wether it makes SMS more or less suitable as a concert venue but it’s not got strong footballing justification imo. 

What interests me, from a social perspective, is if there is a big price difference. Our working class/ middle class support was always more vocal than the posh seats brigade. If safe standing is priced properly it would probably be filled by our traditionally noisiest fans every match - which should make atmosphere volume louder if nothing else . 

Just back. There were two meetings- one earlier today with mainly family and chapel Itchen ST and the one tonight more Northam etc. 

Very professionally handled. Three SFC management / director Present - really nice decent people - and 7 or 8 of us supporters in the 1885. Never seen the pitch from there or the Halo especially with the grass under special lights. Was awesome tbh and made me think that a splash out for a match or two might not be such a bad idea! 

Re the safe standing etc I’m Much better Informed as to the possibilities now - but will let saints release what they want to release from these focus group things onto website etc. Hopefully very soon. 

Very open minded conversations and tough questions asked but overall I came away genuinely excited at what-might-be. Cannot talk for others but certainly those two hours or so brought a smile to my face! 😇

• Like 9

The best move the club can make and show long term commitment is add a new 5,000 tier to the northam stand. You can then squeeze away fans into corner block upper and lower. But ground expansion isnt just about away fans. The club needs to act NOW on this because if flats are built alongside, I wonder if northam expansion would be allowed.  If Mr Parsons wants to make a name for himself, then this would be the road to take.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Just back. There were two meetings- one earlier today with mainly family and chapel Itchen ST and the one tonight more Northam etc. 

Very professionally handled. Three SFC management / director Present - really nice decent people - and 7 or 8 of us supporters in the 1885. Never seen the pitch from there or the Halo especially with the grass under special lights. Was awesome tbh and made me think that a splash out for a match or two might not be such a bad idea! 

Re the safe standing etc I’m Much better Informed as to the possibilities now - but will let saints release what they want to release from these focus group things onto website etc. Hopefully very soon. 

Very open minded conversations and tough questions asked but overall I came away genuinely excited at what-might-be. Cannot talk for others but certainly those two hours or so brought a smile to my face! 😇

This sounds like a CoT post, or fluff seen on LinkedIn

• Haha 1

In my view the success of this depends on the unexpected consequences of trying to engineer an enthusiastic home end. Most fans, season ticket holders at least, sit or stand where they do because they prefer the view and atmosphere around them be that loud or not so loud. Many fans in the Chapel  may not bear to be next to the away fans and might migrate to a similar view but at the Northam end, not whats intended. Some of  our more enthusiastic fans might not, for whatever reason bear to be anywhere but next to the away fans. Supporters along the side might prefer the view from where they are, so there could be a problem actually filling the Northam with the type of fan intended. In fact (as happened at the Dell) the Chapel could become more of a singing end than the Northam. In fact over 23 seasons there has been little appetite to create a singing area anywhere other than near the away supporters . I would also add that wherever they are, the away supporters will be loud as that is the nature of away support. I wish the scheme success but there obstacles that need to be confronted and overcome.

8 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

In my view the success of this depends on the unexpected consequences of trying to engineer an enthusiastic home end. Most fans, season ticket holders at least, sit or stand where they do because they prefer the view and atmosphere around them be that loud or not so loud. Many fans in the Chapel  may not bear to be next to the away fans and might migrate to a similar view but at the Northam end, not whats intended. Some of  our more enthusiastic fans might not, for whatever reason bear to be anywhere but next to the away fans. Supporters along the side might prefer the view from where they are, so there could be a problem actually filling the Northam with the type of fan intended. In fact (as happened at the Dell) the Chapel could become more of a singing end than the Northam. In fact over 23 seasons there has been little appetite to create a singing area anywhere other than near the away supporters . I would also add that wherever they are, the away supporters will be loud as that is the nature of away support. I wish the scheme success but there obstacles that need to be confronted and overcome.

That issue is something I know SFC are VERY aware of. Virtually the #1 challenge to resolve basically. Saints do have internal professional expertise ( from West Hams move & others) -  of the pluses and the cock-ups to learn from when moving ST fans from A to B inside a ground or indeed to another ground altogether - but fans voice vital to be heard first and foremost. There was much discussion in and around it from the fans present as you’d hope and expect. 

Edited by gio1saints

22 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Its a complete mess and simply not worth it 

3 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

The best move the club can make and show long term commitment is add a new 5,000 tier to the northam stand.

Aesthetically that would look a right dog's dinner. You can only really get away with having one towering stand along the side. Moot point though as ain't happening for the forseeable.

The only possible option for moving the away fans is to the Chapel/Kingsland corner as coaches could be parked on the industrial estate but it still gives a massive issue for getting them back for the trains. No easy solution. Where they are now is clearly the most suitable location.

To get over having to watch away fans bouncing around on the TV as they score another late winner (particular if we get back to the PL) I'd find a way to stick the TV cameras in the Itchen. And if the players and coaches on the home bench are pissed off copping an ear full of the away's volume put some new dugouts in the Kingsland.

In reality none of this is going to happen is it...

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Aesthetically that would look a right dog's dinner. You can only really get away with having one towering stand along the side. Moot point though as ain't happening for the forseeable.

The only possible option for moving the away fans is to the Chapel/Kingsland corner as coaches could be parked on the industrial estate but it still gives a massive issue for getting them back for the trains. No easy solution. Where they are now is clearly the most suitable location.

To get over having to watch away fans bouncing around on the TV as they score another late winner (particular if we get back to the PL) I'd find a way to stick the TV cameras in the Itchen. And if the players and coaches on the home bench are pissed off copping an ear full of the away's volume put some new dugouts in the Kingsland.

In reality none of this is going to happen is it...

I’ts a guesstimate on what Rupert said many moons ago, it was either 4 or 5k on the northam kingsland and chapel.

1 hour ago, SaintsLoyal said:

I’ts a guesstimate on what Rupert said many moons ago, it was either 4 or 5k on the northam kingsland and chapel.

4k Northam, 4k Chapel, 8K Kingsland.

4k on the Northam and nothing else would look fucking ridiculous.

Leicester put in plans to extend to 40k by extending their Kingsland equivalent (and putting a new swanky roof on it). Looked much more normal.

10 hours ago, Tom & Gerry said:

The fans in the chapel are hardly likely to move to the safe standing section at the opposite end though, which is the area that the club are creating specifically to improve the atmosphere. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

The fans in the chapel are hardly likely to move to the safe standing section at the opposite end though, which is the area that the club are creating specifically to improve the atmosphere. 

They might move to the seated area of the Northam. I don't know if they would improve the atmosphere there.

19 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

They might move to the seated area of the Northam. I don't know if they would improve the atmosphere there.

No, but the front half of the northam is hit and miss anyway. The back half is where the noise comes from already.

• Like 1

Few observations:

1. Very true about the back half is the noisiest part of Northam. It’s a myth ALL the Northam are massive singers 

2 At the FA cup match recently I was in the uncomfortable felt-guilty situation of being in Block 42 close to away fans but was standing as usual all match - except right behind me were a family of sit downers including a child who couldn’t see unless I and my son too sat down. What to do? 

3. In the proposed situation that the upper is standing - and likely still v noisy- and the lower is seated - and maybe less noisy, that  seated/standing thing “ might” not happen so often. Which seems an ideal compromise if those below happened to be from elsewhere in the ground. 
That the seated supporters are probably going to be less noisy  than the standing  supporters   And less likely to stand up all match and obscure your view it might not be so controversial a suggestion to encourage seated-preferring  season ticket holders elsewhere in SMS - specifically those who might need to move to make way for new away section - to relocate there. 
I think the positive aspects of the Red and White wall concept never mind it would look and sound visually fantastic including the holistic other stuff like enhanced fan zones improved under stand concession solutions etc would make a ST in the new Northam ( or discussed Markus) stand very desirable. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 3

• CSA96 changed the title to Northam End to be home fans only + safe standing (new updates)