Holiday tips for.... The Falkland Islands....?!

trousers

Yeah... you read the thread title correctly... Lady T does indeed have the Falkland Islands on her shortlist for our annual holiday this year.....! 

Anyone been? Any tips etc?

I've done some initial research on getting there.... basically two options..... an RAF flight from Brize Norton (via Ascension Island) or commercial flights via Chile....

Other than that, I've got a blank sheet of paper...

Edited by trousers

I've been to the Falkland Islands 18 times, it's an amazing place full of wonderful people and culture. There is an amazing Albatross sanctuary a great place to go if you like being shat on by big birds, and i'm talking about people with weird fetishish, lol. You can go to the 1982 war memorial, It's a great place for hiking and you can also see seals too. In fact the place is go great that if you google things to do in the Falkland Islands you'll find a website with a list of top 6 things but they seem to run out at 5 as 6 is just go exploring. Ignore the haters trousers and get yourself there. What's interesting is that i went to the Stanley city Brunch and sat next to someone who to the mayor who used to go to school with Kier Starmer, he said it was no wonder he defended Jimmy Saville and thinks some men can have a cervix as when they were at school Kier would often draw naked picture of people with boobs and willies, make of that what you will

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

A blank sheet of paper that also doubles as the top 10 things to do in the Falkland Islands. 🙂

Lol. Even the cruises which list it as a highlight only spend two days there out of 21 :) 

Pre pandemic Mrs Trousers wasn’t the only one https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/falkland-islands-tourism-flights-raf-latam-war-sao-paulo-a9165736.html

Previously you had to fly from Brize Norton but you could see if the Sao Paolo link survived the pandemic? 

Might be an opportunity - although pricey - to travel further south on the mainland over the Chilean border after a few days in the Falklands to see the Towers of Paine national park https://worldlyadventurer.com/torres-del-paine-national-park/

Alternatively https://www.swoop-antarctica.com/cruises/flights

Falklands themselves look a lot like the Outer Hebridies or Shetland scenically, which is very pretty, natural and just as windy. Easy to get away from it all though.

Edited by Gloucester Saint

If you’re a twitcher there are some interesting species, not just penguins.  The only place I have ever been where they had darts commentary on the radio, including the impromptu bar fight that broke out during the game.  It is certainly a one off and if you  are genuine world travel worth a visit.  Don’t miss the Cathedral with the corrugated iron roof.

1 hour ago, moonraker said:

If you’re a twitcher there are some interesting species, not just penguins.  The only place I have ever been where they had darts commentary on the radio, including the impromptu bar fight that broke out during the game.  It is certainly a one off and if you  are genuine world travel worth a visit.  Don’t miss the Cathedral with the corrugated iron roof.

Tha was an advert from the Falkland Islands Tourist Board
- Radio commentary
- Random violence
- Corrugated Iron photo ops

The Falklands: It's not just Penguins!

🙂

2 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Might be an opportunity - although pricey - to travel further south on the mainland over the Chilean border after a few days in the Falklands to see the Towers of Paine national park https://worldlyadventurer.com/torres-del-paine-national-park/

It makes a difference reading the title, than being asked by someone if you'd like to see them. 🙂

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, trousers said:

Cheers for all the replies..... it looks like I may have convinced her ladyship to go to New Zealand instead (coincidentally during next winter's New Zealand v England test series...!)

:)

wow, an entire thread just so you could boast you're going to New Zealand next year.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Cheers for all the replies..... it looks like I may have convinced her ladyship to go to New Zealand instead (coincidentally during next winter's New Zealand v England test series...!)

Oh you're going somewhere together?

I was waiting to ask where you'd managed to book, while Mrs Trousers was trapped, I mean holidaying, on the Falklands. 🙂

6 hours ago, trousers said:

That’s a relief, I was beginning to wonder who wore the trousers in the Trousers household.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been to any of the Caribbean islands away from the usual ones?

we’re fancying something a bit different next year looking at Aruba, Curaçao, Grenada possibly Antigua, Barbados or St Lucia although they are a little more common and we were really wanting something where we don’t know many people who have been as they always think they’re experts despite having probably spent two weeks sitting by a pool in an all inclusive. Son will be in secondary school by the so will needs to be summer holidays so any tips 🙏🏼 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

we’re fancying something a bit different next year looking at Aruba, Curaçao, Grenada possibly Antigua, Barbados or St Lucia although they are a little more common and we were really wanting something where we don’t know many people who have been as they always think they’re experts despite having probably spent two weeks sitting by a pool in an all inclusive. Son will be in secondary school by the so will needs to be summer holidays so any tips 🙏🏼 

Not really - by that I mean I went on a Carribbean cruise and visited a few but for hours not days. Grand Cayman was 'fine'. Got a friend whose family is from Trinidad and loves it. Several people I know have been to Barbados and love that. Dominica (not Dominican Republic) is supposed to be unspoilt   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I’ve been to nearly all of them. Our favourite was Antigua with Barbados very close behind.

I’ve just come back from a two week cruise on Star Flyer which is based out of Sint Maarten and I spent a few days there either side. On Antigua I grabbed a taxi and went across to Dickenson Bay where we had been several times. The beach is fabulous but sadly the resort that we knew so well is being reconstructed and not for the better. Nevertheless I sprinkled some of my wife’s ashes on my favourite rock at the north end. Antigua is a nice size with about 95,000 people.

Barbados has about three times as many so there is more going on and the reggae buses go everywhere cheaply.

Ease of getting there is the important thing and BA or Virgin fly to most of the ones with a British association.

St Lucia is a lot safer than it used to be but the airport is at the bottom and the transfer to the hotels in the north west can take over an hour and a half.

There are so many that I would be happy to talk them over with you. Send me a PM and maybe we can arrange a call.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Son will be in secondary school by the so will needs to be summer holidays so any tips 🙏🏼 

July and August are not the best times to visit the Caribbean. That is the hurricane season so choose your destination carefully. For example there are far fewer cruises then due to the prospect of hurricanes. Barbados is the most easterly Caribbean island and is less likely to be affected but even they are hurricane aware. 

July and August can also be unbearably hot and humid. Ironically many airfares (BA and Virgin) are higher in the summer even though it is not the best time to go. English winters are shit weatherwise. Why not wait for the school winter / spring holidays and go then?? 

• Like 3

thanks for the advice guys. We're a bit limited as for one it's an anniversary holiday so ideally would like to do it as close to the date as possible but agree earlier in the year would be better. I like the idea of Antigua 🙂 

On 19/02/2024 at 00:00, Whitey Grandad said:

I’ve been to nearly all of them. Our favourite was Antigua with Barbados very close behind.

I’ve just come back from a two week cruise on Star Flyer which is based out of Sint Maarten and I spent a few days there either side. On Antigua I grabbed a taxi and went across to Dickenson Bay where we had been several times. The beach is fabulous but sadly the resort that we knew so well is being reconstructed and not for the better. Nevertheless I sprinkled some of my wife’s ashes on my favourite rock at the north end. Antigua is a nice size with about 95,000 people.

Barbados has about three times as many so there is more going on and the reggae buses go everywhere cheaply.

Ease of getting there is the important thing and BA or Virgin fly to most of the ones with a British association.

St Lucia is a lot safer than it used to be but the airport is at the bottom and the transfer to the hotels in the north west can take over an hour and a half.

There are so many that I would be happy to talk them over with you. Send me a PM and maybe we can arrange a call.

Barbados been to a couple of times, once for the Test match in 2004. Amazing place, lots to do. West coast has the best beaches, closely followed by South. North coast beautiful eg Bathsheba in a more wild way.

Grenada truly the spice island, some great beaches, not as developed as Barbados

BVI gorgeous, Virgin Gourda and the Baths amazing for snorkelling. Nevis and St Kitts good for that too.

Dominica a good example of an unspoilt island, beaches are more volcano-like eg Canaries, stunning rainforest walking and such friendly people

Aruba has great beaches, very Americanised though. Curacao more unspoilt, Les’s beach but the Dutch influences more obvious there. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2024 at 15:16, Turkish said:

thanks for the advice guys. We're a bit limited as for one it's an anniversary holiday so ideally would like to do it as close to the date as possible but agree earlier in the year would be better. I like the idea of Antigua 🙂 

If you’re going July/August, I’d highly recommend Aruba. It’s a brilliant island, and completely off the hurricane path. Bucuti & Tara Resort - full of rich Americans but it’s located on one of the best beaches in the world if that’s your thing. 

We had to fly indirect via Miami but I think BA fly direct there now. 

Edited by LGTL

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

If you’re going July/August, I’d highly recommend Aruba. It’s a brilliant island, and completely off the hurricane path. Bucuti & Tara Resort - full of rich Americans but it’s located on one of the best beaches in the world if that’s your thing. 

We had to fly indirect via Miami but I think BA fly direct there now. 

The good news is that BA do indeed fly there via Antigua.

The bad news is that it’s BA.

Right then.... the latest destination that's wangled its way to the top of the Trousers destination shortlist is The Seychelles..... 

Who's been? Tips, hints, etc....?

One of these days we'll spend less time planning a holiday than we actually spend on holiday....!

16 minutes ago, trousers said:

Right then.... the latest destination that's wangled its way to the top of the Trousers destination shortlist is The Seychelles..... 

One of these days we'll spend less time planning a holiday than we actually spend on holiday....!

Never been but always wanted to.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trousers said:

Not been there but have been to the Maldives. It’s okay if you just want to chill, sit in the sun and swim but not a lot else to do. Better hurry up though before they disappear underwater through global warming.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Not been there but have been to the Maldives

Yeah, did consider the Maldives too but there does seem to be more in the way of excursions / day trips available on Seychelles, which is more up our street. 

• Like 1

Does your missus know she has fuck all chance of seeing a penguin?

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Never been but always wanted to.

This reads like those reviews on Amazon; "'I can't answer your question as I haven't bought this product".

On 19/02/2024 at 15:16, Turkish said:

We did Carribean cruise last year 40th anniversary loved it so much going back again. Loved the mud baths St Lucia , train around St Kitts , wife ran in Barbados running festival around Garrison Savannah race track get so close to horses , we loved Antigua it’s the real unspoilt we went to market area just so real.

Beaches are amazing so clear water if in Barbados head for Savvy beach

• Like 1

On 27/02/2024 at 16:17, Whitey Grandad said:

I really want to go but it’s trickier now that I’m on my own. Bounty Beach for me please.

P&O do have a number of singles that go although do uplift the cabins. You wouldn’t be on own is point as so many activities. Try 3-4 night one first Amsterdam Ventura is good one.

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

P&O do have a number of singles that go although do uplift the cabins. You wouldn’t be on own is point as so many activities. Try 3-4 night one first Amsterdam Ventura is good one.

Thanks for the advice. We had done hundreds of nights on cruises and a few hundred on P&O but they annoyed me a few years ago so we jumped ship to Princess.

In general you have to pay for the whole cabin which means that any companion goes for free. I did manage to find a ten night one back in November from Southampton to Civitavecchia which wasn’t too expensive for single occupancy. I did a couple of 7 night cruises back to back on Star Flyer in January in the Caribbean and their single supplement is not too bad.

I’m off on the Hurtigruten Coastal Voyage in a week or so and again, they have a reasonable price for singles.

I have just booked a 16 night cruise to Iceland and Greenland at the end of July and my 21 year old grandson is coming along to keep me company. This will be especially poignant as it was one that my wife and I were booked on last year before her illness overcame her and I had to cancel. She really wanted to go to Greenland and I shall probably take some of her ashes to leave there.

I recommend cruising to anyone and as you say, Ventura is one of the best of the P&O offerings. Once started it can be addictive. I have now done over 600 nights at sea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Thanks for the advice. We had done hundreds of nights on cruises and a few hundred on P&O but they annoyed me a few years ago so we jumped ship to Princess.

In general you have to pay for the whole cabin which means that any companion goes for free. I did manage to find a ten night one back in November from Southampton to Civitavecchia which wasn’t too expensive for single occupancy. I did a couple of 7 night cruises back to back on Star Flyer in January in the Caribbean and their single supplement is not too bad.

I’m off on the Hurtigruten Coastal Voyage in a week or so and again, they have a reasonable price for singles.

I have just booked a 16 night cruise to Iceland and Greenland at the end of July and my 21 year old grandson is coming along to keep me company. This will be especially poignant as it was one that my wife and I were booked on last year before her illness overcame her and I had to cancel. She really wanted to go to Greenland and I shall probably take some of her ashes to leave there.

I recommend cruising to anyone and as you say, Ventura is one of the best of the P&O offerings. Once started it can be addictive. I have now done over 600 nights at sea.

Brilliant I’m hooked too have a great time  in Greenland it’s in my list with Canada, Alaska and Iceland.

Sorry about your wife and know it’s hard when lose someone close. 
I love Arvia the new ship so much space and options on food and entertainment.

We did couple of short ones on QE and CM with Cunard loved the ships but gratuities etc take it to expensive level.

9 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Brilliant I’m hooked too have a great time  in Greenland it’s in my list with Canada, Alaska and Iceland.

Sorry about your wife and know it’s hard when lose someone close. 
I love Arvia the new ship so much space and options on food and entertainment.

We did couple of short ones on QE and CM with Cunard loved the ships but gratuities etc take it to expensive level.

Arvia generates strong views. Peter Boyd-Smith runs “Cobwebs” in Northam Road not far from St. Mary’s and is a frequent guest speaker on many cruises. He said it was the only cruise ship which he wanted to get off as soon as he got on. His shop is well worth a visit but check the opening hours.

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Arvia generates strong views. Peter Boyd-Smith runs “Cobwebs” in Northam Road not far from St. Mary’s and is a frequent guest speaker on many cruises. He said it was the only cruise ship which he wanted to get off as soon as he got on. His shop is well worth a visit but check the opening hours.

Yes it’s very marmite some like small ships like Arcadia and Aurora but I loved the choice of food, entertainment and space to get away from “Butlins” crowd gobby Mancs or as the comedian labelled them around the pool the seal colony! Loved Sindhu and Epicurean restaurant but also Quays , Olive Grove and 6th St Diner free ones too.

Although loved flying to Carribean I also love being on board ship from my house and on holiday in 20 minutes . Did 3 cruises last year just love the easiness of it .

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Yes it’s very marmite some like small ships like Arcadia and Aurora but I loved the choice of food, entertainment and space to get away from “Butlins” crowd gobby Mancs or as the comedian labelled them around the pool the seal colony! Loved Sindhu and Epicurean restaurant but also Quays , Olive Grove and 6th St Diner free ones too.

Although loved flying to Carribean I also love being on board ship from my house and on holiday in 20 minutes . Did 3 cruises last year just love the easiness of it .

We loved Aurora in its early format but they ruined it when they changed the wooden steamer chairs on the promenade deck to metal sit up ones.

”Gobby Mancs” are a serious problem on the Caribbean fly cruises with direct charter flights from the northern airports. Mind you, the golf club types on the Southampton departures can have their heads stuck up their arses too. 

That’s why we changed to Princess.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

there seems to be some very good deals available at the moment. We've just booked two weeks in Mexico last week of may first week of June and got 25% off. Plenty of other good deals on the TUI website too.

I’ve just come back from the Hurtigruten Coastal express from Bergen to Kirkenes and back. I went with an open mind and enjoyed it far more than I was expecting even though I hate the cold. Nearly 5000 km of watching the coastal scenery go past. At the northernmost point there was fresh snow up to my knees and it was lovely. Perfect for snowballs.

I went for a dog sleigh ride and also a snowmobile ride in the middle of the night. I even saw the Northern Lights for a short spell which wasn’t a lot but I was mesmerised. I shall go looking for them next winter too. Maybe Iceland or Canada.

I might go again next year.

• Like 3