Saints v P****y 2024/25 season

Daft Kerplunk

One benefit of this powder puff piss poor end to the attempt to get promoted is that we will get to play our local rivals twice in a year. Scarily, they’ll be fired up after being promoted and we will be stripped of talent off the back of a disappointing non-promotion season that for awhile looked promising. 

• Like 3

Nightmare scenario, I will happy with 95% possession and no shots on target and a win on pens if we get to playoff offs/final. Last time in same division 2 draws off skates helped relegated them so if we gave to play them let's hope same happens.

11 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

Do not bank on our bottlers beating the skates at Fratton next year,what a dreadful thought that is,but we really are a bunch of softies who fold under any sort of pressure.

Russell Martin had a 100% record against Cardiff as Swansea manager. He'd get them up for it for sure.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Russell Martin had a 100% record against Cardiff as Swansea manager. He'd get them up for it for sure.

I'm prefer a manager that "got the players up for it" in every game, not just the derbies... 

• Like 1

This is a definite positive if we stay in the Championship. No point having rivals if we never play each other.

The games are massive. Everything about them is huge for the fans living around here, many of who work with each other or have friends who support the other team. It's all anyone will talk about for weeks beforehand. Every other game just part of the journey to get to derby day.

Personally I can't wait for them to happen. 

20 hours ago, Block41 Saint said:

Imagine Bazunu dealing with the abuse from their fans🤢

I'm not sure about that. Given that he has the worst GK record in the division, maybe they'll give "agent Baz" a big cheer.

• Like 2

Their record in L1 has been very good this season which tends to suggest they’re already at Championship level. Think our 24-25 Championship team will largely consist of players that will more likely shrink away from a charged derby game. I’ve very little confidence that we’ll gain promotion and another season under Martin in the Championship is not one I’m relishing to be honest…can see an even worse season than this one and defeats to Pompey would just be intolerable.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2024 at 22:58, die Mannyschaft said:

Nightmare scenario, I will happy with 95% possession and no shots on target and a win on pens if we get to playoff offs/final. Last time in same division 2 draws off skates helped relegated them so if we gave to play them let's hope same happens.

The two draws against them also cost us the title. 

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

The two draws against them also cost us the title. 

Yep, going up in 2nd place was definitely as devastating to us as relegation was to them....

And they also won the David Norris cup, which they get to celebrate annually in an open top bus parade. There's simply no end to my jealousy... 

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Yep, going up in 2nd place was definitely as devastating to us as relegation was to them....

And they also won the David Norris cup, which they get to celebrate annually in an open top bus parade. There's simply no end to my jealousy... 

😉

Point being they go on about how much they’ve won like they’re Real Madrid and how little we’ve won, they claim they stopped us winning the title. I’d much rather have beaten them twice and win the league wouldn’t you?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

And the 6 points we gave Bristol City sent them down.

No ir didn’t they finished 9 points below Bristol city they’ve have gone down whatever our results against them. 

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Point being they go on about how much they’ve won like they’re Real Madrid and how little we’ve won, they claim they stopped us winning the title. I’d much rather have beaten them twice and win the league wouldn’t you?

Aye, but it still wouldn't have surpassed the glory of the David Norris trophy 

On 08/04/2024 at 00:56, Saint Fan CaM said:

Their record in L1 has been very good this season which tends to suggest they’re already at Championship level. Think our 24-25 Championship team will largely consist of players that will more likely shrink away from a charged derby game. I’ve very little confidence that we’ll gain promotion and another season under Martin in the Championship is not one I’m relishing to be honest…can see an even worse season than this one and defeats to Pompey would just be intolerable.

That's unlike you to be negative. You ok hun?

• Haha 1

On 08/04/2024 at 08:18, trousers said:

Aye, but it still wouldn't have surpassed the glory of the David Norris trophy 

Aha, what with all the excitement about the privilege of once again facing a local and traditionally lower-division side, I was wondering if there was a major trophy to be won. 

I'm with you on the perspective of 2012. Even though we drew with them last time, we were comfortably gliding towards promotion so it didn't exactly feel like a tragedy to give them a big nudge into the league below.