8,500 sold so far tonight

saints_is_the_south

From David Luker:

about 8,500 so far.

Was very busy yesterday, and just the same today.

Difficult to predict what the final gate would be, as the walk-up for such games can be very unpredictable.

We do, however, have many collections and we would advise all supporters to get here as early as possible to save queuing time.

David Luker

Head of Supporter Services

Hopefully it will get up to atleast 10k, can't see much more than that. Disappointing given the low ticket prices, can't imagine Birmingham are bringing many though.

To be fair it just shows the amount of 'paper fans' this club once had. When we were in the premiership you could guarantee 30k + for a prem game and about 22k+ for a cup game. If (when) we do get back to the premiership they’ll all come crawling back.

You going tonight then?

To be fair it just shows the amount of 'paper fans' this club once had. When we were in the premiership you could guarantee 30k + for a prem game and about 22k+ for a cup game. If (when) we do get back to the premiership they’ll all come crawling back.

I have a ST but i'm not going tonight. I find it hard to get excited about this competition unless we're in the quarters.

So no different to just about every other club in the country then?

Didn't we get over 20k for a game at a similar stage of the competition last year? Anything around 10K would be terrible.

It was the year before against Yeovil when we had about 20k. If anyone on here is 50/50 about going tonight, you definitely should after we played so well on Saturday.

The low attendence is much more to do with how far the League Cup has fallen from grace in recent times more than a reflection on the club, fans, etc. If anyone thinks it'll be a poor show if we 'only' get 10k to the game then take a look at how many Palace got for their home match in the last round, 3,000!!

The low attendence is much more to do with how far the League Cup has fallen from grace in recent times more than a reflection on the club, fans, etc. If anyone thinks it'll be a poor show if we 'only' get 10k to the game then take a look at how many Palace got for their home match in the last round, 3,000!!

Good point I suppose.

Fair point. Ipswich had less than 1500 for their 1st round game.

There are two factors in play regarding the poor attendances in the Carling Cup this season.

Firstly, there are a number of Championship teams who are using the competition to either experiment or give match practice to a number of fringe players. Fans (quite rightly, in my opinion) regard that as not taking the competition seriously enough, and therefore think it's not really worth shelling out for tickets when it's effectively going to be a reserve team game.

Secondly, given the current economic climate, the vast majority of people are having to cut back on their non-essential spending. Given the choice of a league game where you can pretty much guarantee both teams will field their best available line-up or a cup game where one or both sides might change all 11 players to give people a game, it's not hard to see which one they'd choose, even though the price is higher for the league game. If I was in the position where I had to choose one or the other but not both, I'd go to the league game.

If the Premier League teams were to start taking the competition more seriously, that would filter down to the better teams in the Championship. That would probably resurrect the attendances to a certain extent, but the overall cost of going to games on a regular basis is, in my opinion, the main problem.

For what it's worth, here are the attendances from Round 1:

Coventry 3-1 Aldershot - 9293

Forest 4-0 Morecambe - 4030

Sheff United 3-1 Port Vale - 7694

Wycombe 0-4 Birmingham - 2735

Bournemouth 1-2 Cardiff - 3399

Brighton 4-0 Barnet - 2571

Bristol City 2-1 Peterborough - 5684

Bury 0-2 Burnley - 4276

Crystal Palace 2-1 Hereford - 3094

Charlton 0-1 Yeovil - 6239

Chester 2-5 Leeds - 3644

Crewe 2-0 Barnsley - 2492

Dagenham 1-2 Reading - 2360

Derby 3-1 Lincoln - 10091

Exeter 1-3 Saints - 6471

Gillingham 0-1 Colchester - 2566

Grimsby 2-0 Tranmere - 1858

Hartlepool 3-0 Scunny - 2076

Huddersfield 4-0 Bradford - 8932

Ipswich 4-1 Leyton Orient - 1477 :shock:

Leicester 1-0 Stockport - 7386

Luton 2-0 Plymouth - 2682

MK Dons 1-0 Norwich - 6261

Macclesfield 2-0 Blackpool - 1631

Millwall 0-1 Northampton - 3525

Notts County 1-0 Doncaster - 3272

Preston 2-0 Chesterfield - 5150

Rochdale 0-0 Oldham - 5786

Sheff Weds 2-2 Rotherham - 16298

Shrewsbury 0-1 Carlisle - 3337

Southend 0-1 Cheltenham - 2998

Swansea 2-0 Brentford - 5366

Swindon 2-3 QPR - 7230

Walsall 1-2 Darlington - 2702

Watford 1-0 Bristol Rovers - 5574

Wolves 3-2 Accrington - 9424

Even some games, which you would consider a "big" game for the home team and at least one of the two teams has a reasonably big following (e.g. Wycombe v Birmingham) have attracted very low attendances.

For what it's worth, here are the attendances from Round 1:

Coventry 3-1 Aldershot - 9293

Forest 4-0 Morecambe - 4030

Sheff United 3-1 Port Vale - 7694

Wycombe 0-4 Birmingham - 2735

Bournemouth 1-2 Cardiff - 3399

Brighton 4-0 Barnet - 2571

Bristol City 2-1 Peterborough - 5684

Bury 0-2 Burnley - 4276

Crystal Palace 2-1 Hereford - 3094

Charlton 0-1 Yeovil - 6239

Chester 2-5 Leeds - 3644

Crewe 2-0 Barnsley - 2492

Dagenham 1-2 Reading - 2360

Derby 3-1 Lincoln - 10091

Exeter 1-3 Saints - 6471

Gillingham 0-1 Colchester - 2566

Grimsby 2-0 Tranmere - 1858

Hartlepool 3-0 Scunny - 2076

Huddersfield 4-0 Bradford - 8932

Ipswich 4-1 Leyton Orient - 1477 :shock:

Leicester 1-0 Stockport - 7386

Luton 2-0 Plymouth - 2682

MK Dons 1-0 Norwich - 6261

Macclesfield 2-0 Blackpool - 1631

Millwall 0-1 Northampton - 3525

Notts County 1-0 Doncaster - 3272

Preston 2-0 Chesterfield - 5150

Rochdale 0-0 Oldham - 5786

Sheff Weds 2-2 Rotherham - 16298

Shrewsbury 0-1 Carlisle - 3337

Southend 0-1 Cheltenham - 2998

Swansea 2-0 Brentford - 5366

Swindon 2-3 QPR - 7230

Walsall 1-2 Darlington - 2702

Watford 1-0 Bristol Rovers - 5574

Wolves 3-2 Accrington - 9424

Even some games, which you would consider a "big" game for the home team and at least one of the two teams has a reasonably big following (e.g. Wycombe v Birmingham) have attracted very low attendances.

Puts things in perspective. Makes you wonder how long this competition will remain viable for if even CCC fans dont want to turn up. Bit surprising tho considering there is still a UEFA cup place at stake.

Puts things in perspective. Makes you wonder how long this competition will remain viable for if even CCC fans dont want to turn up. Bit surprising tho considering there is still a UEFA cup place at stake.

Personally. I think they should abandon the current format, dissolve the Affiliate Member's Cup too (The Johnstone Paint's trophy) and simply have a 'Coca Cola Football League Cup.' A competition for all clubs outside of the premiership. The bonus being entry into a playoff for Premiership admittence.

The playoff consisting of 3rd through 6th in the league, 17th in the Prem and the 'Football League' Cup winners.

How many Football League teams realistically have a chance of winning it though? In general, you'd say the three who were relegated from the Premier League the previous season might have a chance if they get a very favourable draw, but that's about it. More to the point regarding the UEFA Cup place is that the runners-up DON'T get the place if the winner has already qualified for either the Champions League or the UEFA Cup through the league or the FA Cup. That's why the FA Cup is still attractive to most of the Premier League teams, because even if they don't win it, just getting to Wembley will more than likely get them into Europe.

The likes of Everton, Newcastle, Man City, etc, should really be using the Carling Cup as their best chance of getting into Europe. Realistically, it's going to be a lot harder for them to qualify through the league, so I don't understand their attitude towards the Carling Cup.

The only time you get a decent attendance in the early rounds are when there's either a local derby or a lower-league team at home to one of the bigger Championship teams.

Exeter don't normally get much above 4500 for league games, but drawing us brought in an extra 2000. If Sheffield Wednesday had been drawn at home against a non-Yorkshire team, there's no way they'd have got 16k.

Personally. I think they should abandon the current format, dissolve the Affiliate Member's Cup too (The Johnstone Paint's trophy) and simply have a 'Coca Cola Football League Cup.' A competition for all clubs outside of the premiership. The bonus being entry into a playoff for Premiership admittence.

The playoff consisting of 3rd through 6th in the league, 17th in the Prem and the 'Football League' Cup winners.

So in theory a newly promoted from non league, League Two team could be in the Premiership after winning a few "one off" cup games?

Thats silly if you ask me.

An interesting idea, but in true "turkeys voting for Christmas" fashion, I really can't imagine Premier League clubs voting in favour of a potential 4th team being relegated.

I do agree that the Johnstones Paint Trophy should be scrapped, although alongside the playoffs, it's the only realistic route for League One and League Two teams to get to Wembley. However, the attendances in that competition are pathetic. Bournemouth will probably get about 1500 (if they're lucky) against Bristol Rovers next week - the corresponding league fixture last season drew in 6867.

A nice idea although it would be a silly idea if a team from league two made it up to the prem just because of a few cup games and secondly if the team that was 17th in the prem won it then only two championship teams would be promoted but three would still be relegated and the premiership would only have 19 teams in it.

Just to confirm that we do have many collections for tonight. Probably 2-3 times more than a normal league game.

We would advise anyone collecting a ticket to come down as early as possible (ticket office one). We have now stopped taking bookings via the telephone and online so this isnt made any worse. Apologies if this causes anyone any inconvenience.

I'm over from Florida so really excited by my first trip to watch the 'Total Soccer', sorry 'Football'.

Warning to all. The last game i saw was at home vs Plymouth. I hope tonight fairs better. Equally hope i'm not a jinx.

So in theory a newly promoted from non league, League Two team could be in the Premiership after winning a few "one off" cup games?

Thats silly if you ask me.

If you want clubs taking it seriously. THAT would do it. Far from silly. The likelyhood of a league 2 team winning it anyway would be low. And if they did, well, it's the 'magic' of the League cup. ;)

A nice idea although it would be a silly idea if a team from league two made it up to the prem just because of a few cup games and secondly if the team that was 17th in the prem won it then only two championship teams would be promoted but three would still be relegated and the premiership would only have 19 teams in it.

Thus eventually leaving the big four to fight it out on their own.

Yes, better correct that to the team in 18th.