Charlie Miller mural

Fitzhugh Fella

Did anyone else notice the wall painting on the walkway over the railway line to the stadium which has a really fantastic mural depicting Charlie Miller the ex Saints player from the 1890s who is credited to introducing football into Brazil.

It really is a work of art and looks fantastic. I don't know who is responsible but it is worth a look if anyone is down that way - the likeness of Miller is uncanny and someone has gone to a lot of trouble.

Did anyone else notice the wall painting on the walkway over the railway line to the stadium which has a really fantastic mural depicting Charlie Miller the ex Saints player from the 1890s who is credited to introducing football into Brazil.

It really is a work of art and looks fantastic. I don't know who is responsible but it is worth a look if anyone is down that way - the likeness of Miller is uncanny and someone has gone to a lot of trouble.

We all commeneted on it but no idea who he was.....cheers FF

Charles Miller arrived in Brazil with a pair of boots, a book of rules and a football. When he reached Sao Paulo, he was shocked to discover that no-one knew how to play. So he marked out a pitch, gathered twenty young men, and divided them into two teams...Today, Brazil are the greatest exponents of the beautiful game, and Charles Miller has been all but forgotten.

Charles Miller arrived in Brazil with a pair of boots, a book of rules and a football. When he reached Sao Paulo, he was shocked to discover that no-one knew how to play. So he marked out a pitch, gathered twenty young men, and divided them into two teams...Today, Brazil are the greatest exponents of the beautiful game, and Charles Miller has been all but forgotten.

Have you been reading Futebol : A Brazilian Way of Life by Alex Bellos?

Believe it or not it was arranged through the local Police neighbourhood team - Sgt **** Partridge and some of the PCSO's from Northam, St Marys and Newtown. The art work was arranged with some Solent Uni volunteers ( who are my contacts) . I think it looks very good.

AHA Well done to all concerned.Back of the net!

A very very valid point.

The mural is very well done - tis a shame that is is largly hidden in the walkway - it would look great ona giant poster outside the ground.

Or in the Saints museum when Markus decides to provide it.

I haven't seen the mural myself and although it sounds good I think they should replace it with a drawing of a train.:rolleyes:

Yep, couldn't not notice it, very good indeed.

Yup. Saw it in passing through the press. Shame it's hidden away, would've been better in one of the concourses.

Hardly hidden away matey, there's a good few thousand that go over the bridge every game, not only that but the fans crossing are from every stand and not just the one stand if it had been put in a concourse!!!!

We were all impressed with it and knew who he was, also walked through the parks before the game on the way down from The Bedfords for a change, really impressed, clean, neat and blooming!!!

Hardly hidden away matey, there's a good few thousand that go over the bridge every game, not only that but the fans crossing are from every stand and not just the one stand if it had been put in a concourse!!!!

We were all impressed with it and knew who he was, also walked through the parks before the game on the way down from The Bedfords for a change, really impressed, clean, neat and blooming!!!

Your lot must be very knowledgable, I thought it was Bert Scriven !!!

A very very valid point.

The mural is very well done - tis a shame that is is largly hidden in the walkway - it would look great ona giant poster outside the ground.

Ajax have done something similar in the Amsterdam Arena.

When I was walking through on Saturday, I was hoping to see further progress made on it from the day of the Colchester game, but was saddened to see that someone had already attempted to deface it with a spray can, and written on it with a marker.

Why do people feel the need to destroy and deface, rather than build, create or just admire?

It is a real shame that there are such morons about who will jump at the chance to deface it. The paintings on the cricket building in Hogsland Park are also excellent, but have also been defaced. The trouble is, you are now getting a breed of grafitti artist who are acknowledged as being proper contemporary artists in their own right, people like Banksy and the local council at Bristol are considering that some of his work ought to be preserved. Well, as far as I'm concerned, I'd be happier if the local authority did their duty and eradicated his work which is what the local population pay their Council taxes for. If other yobs obliterated it, then he has no reason to be upset about it, does he?

It is a real shame that there are such morons about who will jump at the chance to deface it. The paintings on the cricket building in Hogsland Park are also excellent, but have also been defaced. The trouble is, you are now getting a breed of grafitti artist who are acknowledged as being proper contemporary artists in their own right, people like Banksy and the local council at Bristol are considering that some of his work ought to be preserved. Well, as far as I'm concerned, I'd be happier if the local authority did their duty and eradicated his work which is what the local population pay their Council taxes for. If other yobs obliterated it, then he has no reason to be upset about it, does he?

To be honest, there is a different between this:

banksy-bristol.jpg

And this:

076.jpg

its fantastic and its shows part of our history,would love to more wall paintings around the stadium.

part of the stuff in the painting was my idea as i was approached by one of the pcso's on it ages ago...once its is all finished it will be coated with anti-graffiti covering so any other stuff over the top will wipe off...and funny enough the hogland park artist is also working on the walkway...and he comes from a graffiti background

part of the stuff in the painting was my idea as i was approached by one of the pcso's on it ages ago...once its is all finished it will be coated with anti-graffiti covering so any other stuff over the top will wipe off...and funny enough the hogland park artist is also working on the walkway...and he comes from a graffiti background

Is it work by Mike Fibb ?

Hope it is finished soon so the protective layer can be put on.

Fair play to you - it looks great, hope the club take note.

great art and imagination ,fantastic idea ,congratulations to all of the artists.

Problem is, in the crush leaving the game there's so many people yer can't see it all! Yeah I knew the story, but it's a matter of scale - needs a larger 'canvas'.