Telling Porky Pies on Your CV......

Suhari

So, I have recently been made redundant. Ah well, onwards and upwards etc.

• Most recently I was with company A for 2 years - left due to redundancy
  • Prior to that with company B for 10 months - I was made redundant
  • Prior to that I did a full time MBA (1 year)
  • Prior to that with company C for 9 months - left to do the MBA (I was given a scholarship which halved the fees if I went in 2005, rather than 2006 as I had planned)
  • Prior to that with company D for 6.5 years
  • Prior to that with company E for 3 years

I am a little uncomfortable about having a few short-term roles on the CV; although I can show some decent achievements in each role, and left for genuine reasons (redundancy and scholarship, rather than being crap). Hence in interviews I can address this with confidence.

That said I am thinking about 'massaging' the time I was with company C, and making it 18-20 months. This would show slightly more stability, and not detract from other achievements. It is unlikely they would ever be used as a reference now: the company has changed hands and most of the old bosses have moved on.

My aim in doing this is purely to help get more interviews; I have only just started my latest job search, so am unsure if I will struggle to secure interviews or not.

I know there are some recruitment types who read the forum, and I wondered what your views on this would be? Clearly there are implications if an employer spotted my creative history making......but on the other hand it might be worth it.

Advice welcome!

No need to even think of being creative, your work history is fine and short term positions are commonplace so don't worry about it. More important you get your CV done properly and emphasise your good points ( if any ;) ) in an early paragraph.

This is a reasonable guide IMO which should allow you to do it yourself but absolutely essential you check the spelling and grammar !!!

http://www.cvcl.co.uk/writingcvs.htm

Oh I do disagree when they say 3 pages max, 2 at the very most. Employers don't have time or the inclination generally to read lengthy CV's.

Edited by chrisobee
Addition

Some pretty conclusive advice here - many thanks. My gut feel was to stick as is, but thought it worth floating the question out there.

I am very happy with my CV (thanks for the link Chrisobee), the only concern is the few short roles; perhaps this is more an issue for me than employers. Will put that out of my mind now.

I do like the suggestion in the link about just putting the years of employment rather than years and months though....might give it a go.

Cheers all.

What most people say on here is absoultely correct - don't put yourself in a position to 'fabricate' a few months more experience at a job; it's quite a considerable blag.

At least if you stick to your original (and truthful!) CV you'll be able to recount your history without too much trouble :-)

Some pretty conclusive advice here - many thanks. My gut feel was to stick as is, but thought it worth floating the question out there.

I am very happy with my CV (thanks for the link Chrisobee), the only concern is the few short roles; perhaps this is more an issue for me than employers. Will put that out of my mind now.

I do like the suggestion in the link about just putting the years of employment rather than years and months though....might give it a go.

Cheers all.

Welcome, would definitely opt for putting the years only, a fairly standard practice.

Good luck !

Lying on your CV is a serious business and it could cost you more than your new job.

IIRC it didn't do that guy on 'The Apprentice' much harm. he lied on his CV, got torn to shreds at the interview stage but still ended up winning.

IIRC it didn't do that guy on 'The Apprentice' much harm. he lied on his CV, got torn to shreds at the interview stage but still ended up winning.

Yet on the flip side it can have worse repercussions....

A woman who faked her qualifications to win a £23,000-a-year job has been jailed for six months. Rhiannon Mackay, the first woman in the country to be imprisoned for lying on a CV, wrongly claimed to have two A-levels and also made up references.

The 29-year- old, who used the fake CV to apply for 11 other jobs, held the post of capital projects administrator in the NHS from May 2008 until last October. But suspicions were raised about her performance and she admitted lying on her CV when challenged by bosses at Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust.

Plymouth magistrates heard the post required applicants to have at least two A-levels and Mackay, a former Royal Navy sonar operator, claimed she had two grade Bs.

When asked to provide a reference she forged a letter of recommendation and signed it using the name of her now husband, a chief petty officer.

Mackay, of Plymouth, admitted fraud by making a false representation and asked for 11 similar offences to be taken into consideration. She also admitted making a false instrument - the reference and a forged naval discharge certificate.

Last year Lee Whitehead, 44, was jailed for three months after he lied about his qualifications to land a top NHS job in Stoke-on-Trent. He claimed he had a doctorate and Masters degree when he only had a second-class science degree.

To be fair, a CV isn't a legal document, it's not quite the same as claiming you have qualifications you don't, forging signatures and getting into a position of trust where you're handling NHS budgets...

...not that I'd lie on a CV anyway.

Besides, 10 years later no-one cares if you worked somewhere for 3 months or 4, and the chances are you're not even going to remember properly.

Edited by The9

When I was a teenager I lost a pretty decent job for lying on my CV.

My Dad's mate had made up a load of exam passes on his CV years ago, and had got away with it. He went on to be a very successful businessman. I had English Language O level, but not Maths. I lied on my CV saying I had maths as well. I was offered the job subject to providing my certificates.

My old man went through the roof, which I found a bit strange because I only did it because his mate had done it ok.

I employ people now and only check the last few years, so my advise would be very accurate for the past 10 years, but further back than that it's not so important.

In my opinion, I would have your key achievements over the past 5 years (in whatever role) on the front page and the breakdown on the second. Try and quantify the key achievements as much as possible i.e. saved x amount introducing new initiative, you can put these under the heading:Where I have Added Value to an Organisation

If these are good, you will get an interview, where you can discuss each position/ reason for leaving in more detail.

Don't lie, just make sure that you review your cv through the eyes of a prospective employer (or get someone else to) and list out any potential questions they may ask or areas of concern. Then think through what answers you would give if they actually arise. Forewarned is forearmed.

One thing to consider. Any decent interviewer will probe around any answer that you give, so make sure that you have given it proper thought.

Suhari

Just do not go there

"That said I am thinking about 'massaging' the time I was with company C, and making it 18-20 months. This would show slightly more stability, and not detract from other achievements. It is unlikely they would ever be used as a reference now: the company has changed hands and most of the old bosses have moved on"

It only takes one white lie on your CV and you will be dismissed almost immediately.

Employers are now being more thorough on checking CV's and Applications.

Oh and I work in Personnel (I hate the letters HR)

PS Shame the Skates didnt do due dilligence on the people they employed, they might not be in the mess they now find themselves in

Don't lie, just make sure that you review your cv through the eyes of a prospective employer (or get someone else to) and list out any potential questions they may ask or areas of concern. Then think through what answers you would give if they actually arise. Forewarned is forearmed.

One thing to consider. Any decent interviewer will probe around any answer that you give, so make sure that you have given it proper thought.

Indeed though I have found it very useful to do some research about the firm if you get an interview and be ready to ask them a few pertinent questions as they'll invariably ask you if you have any questions !

Indeed though I have found it very useful to do some research about the firm if you get an interview and be ready to ask them a few pertinent questions as they'll invariably ask you if you have any questions !

That's good advice. See if you can suggest ways in which employing you is going to help their business.

Yeah, to be honest I would not do it. Apart from the fact that you will look like a plonker if found out, I believe that CVs are only useful for getting the interview in the first place. Once you are seated across from the recruiter it doesn't matter what is on the CV. Then is the time to let yourself shine.

Suhari, The best advice I can give you is at the top of your CV do a profile that gets all the best points about your abilities read by the person reading the CV's. In reality you only get 30 seconds to scan a CV when 40 or 50 of them turn up on your desk, I know from having been the person whittling them down. Always make it presentable, without any spelling mistakes (big no no, shows that the person hasn't paid any care and attention, and if he doesn't do it to get a job what will he be like in a job). Always get a second person to read through your CV, learn it off by heart so you will not get stuck if they quiz you on it. But as others have said do not lie as that is a sackable offence that you may not able massage out of your CV. Short periods of employment are not necessarily bad on the CV, and leaving because you wanted to further your education is not anything to be ashamed of, if not it's quite commendable as it shows that you have drive and ambition. Always show that you are a team player that is prepared to lead if required, listen to all advice, and take an active back seat if required. Always give praise when due, and if you have a team below you, especially on the shop floor take time to get to know them and walk the floor every day to speak to them even if it is to discuss last nights football results, what was on telly last night etc. They will appreciate you for it and not think you aloof and this will bring you respect from the floor.

Edited by mcjwills

It's never a good thing to lie on your CV. I did this once, & I was called for an interview with British Rail. I had told them I was an experienced signalman and had operated signal boxes all around the world, and had got the medals to prove it.

Excited by my credentials, they offered me the job on the spot. I started work the next day at Crewe. An hour later 23 trains had piled in to each other on Platform 1. Suffice to say I was sacked (although fair play to the union, they went on a nation wide 48hr stoppage over a Bank Holiday weekend in protest). I'm currently working as an air traffic controller (well nearly, it's my first day tomorrow!!)

Most large companies have some backend software, that automates a qualification checking procedure, criminal record etc. So it really isn't worth it.

The recruitment software is also pretty smart, but there are different ways to ensure you return with the highest score and top of the list of relevant candidates..... and the recruiters will only ever work with the top 10 - 15% (And never know you beefed your score up)

coolio. top school. i looked at warwick, went to a couple of the open days etc, was very good

Yep. Was my first choice. I looked at Said, Cass, and a couple of others.

Best year of my life: seriously hard work, and would do it again tomorrow if I could.