High IQ

Glasgow_Saint

The scores vary wildly for me depending on the test, they're by no means very accurate in my experience as if they were I should be hitting the same bracket every time.

And herein lies the paradox. IQ scores are not immutable. In fact, they age and "go off" like food, and have to be recalibrated every few years, with a mean re-set at 100 (that's to say, whatever score an aggregate of people get, the mean is re-set to the average of their scores. Google "Flynn Effect" for an explanation of this).

I hate to break it to the geniuses on here, but it's likely that if you took an IQ test that was "fresh" you'd get around 100. Mensa tests do NOT count, and actually the only institution which regularly uses properly calibrated IQ tests in this country is the NHS.

So in reality, Glasgow has either been conned or sectioned.

And herein lies the paradox. IQ scores are not immutable. In fact, they age and "go off" like food, and have to be recalibrated every few years, with a mean re-set at 100 (that's to say, whatever score an aggregate of people get, the mean is re-set to the average of their scores. Google "Flynn Effect" for an explanation of this).

I hate to break it to the geniuses on here, but it's likely that if you took an IQ test that was "fresh" you'd get around 100. Mensa tests do NOT count, and actually the only institution which regularly uses properly calibrated IQ tests in this country is the NHS.

So in reality, Glasgow has either been conned or sectioned.

Quite correct. I'd also like to point out there is no single 'benchmark' test either. I've taken three different tests (long time ago), and did significantly better in the logical/math/analytical types against the verbal/linguistic/recall test. Didn't know the NHS used IQ tests though.

And no, GS, I'm not going going to tell you the results. As Verbal has said, they would be meaningless in today's context.

In case you're in any doubt, take a look at the present and past members if Mensa and decide if you would like to be part if that set. Clive Sinclair (I refuse to acknowledge his knighthood) was their chairman for 17 years. I rest my case.

There was a good TV docu-drama a couple of years ago about the rise and fall of Sinclair's company. I seem to remember it was quite enlightening and changed a lot of opinions about the man.

Im getting the hard sell...... tempted.com

British Mensa has over 21,000 members from all walks of life with IQs in the top 2%. Mensa aims to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity.

Mensa’s members use the Society to share their knowledge, their enthusiasms and their passions with like-minded people

Quite correct. I'd also like to point out there is no single 'benchmark' test either. I've taken three different tests (long time ago), and did significantly better in the logical/math/analytical types against the verbal/linguistic/recall test. Didn't know the NHS used IQ tests though.

And no, GS, I'm not going going to tell you the results. As Verbal has said, they would be meaningless in today's context.

In which case you probably did Ravens Progressive Matrices (RPM), which tests non-verbal reasoning and can be administered to just about anyone of any age, from very young children. The longer-standing Wechsler tests, which are more heavily linguistic, are really for adults only (and are on their 4th version now I think).

Anyone care to discuss emotional IQ? Given that this is a knee-jerk mongboard of football fans* who can barely post a single post without ignoring the subject completely and just slagging off other posters... could be fun? :)

* - not necessarily my opinion, more a conglomeration of others'...

Anyone care to discuss emotional IQ? Given that this is a knee-jerk mongboard of football fans* who can barely post a single post without ignoring the subject completely and just slagging off other posters... could be fun? :)

* - not necessarily my opinion, more a conglomeration of others'...

Fark off you scummer cant, why the fuck do you want to know my EQ? And Steve de Ridder was the best footballer to eva play for Saints FACT!

There was a good TV docu-drama a couple of years ago about the rise and fall of Sinclair's company. I seem to remember it was quite enlightening and changed a lot of opinions about the man.

Micro Men?

If you remember the early microcomputer wars - Acorn v Sinclair, this is a great drama. 1 hr 24 min.

I joined Mensa just after I left Uni. I seemed to move around the country a lot following the work and found the social meet-ups a useful way of making new friends quickly. This is in the days before Facebook. Early 90s.

Quite how good they were depended a lot on the people organising them. Great in Birmingham, very good in Poole (I actually met a nice girl I lived with for a while here), awful in Wareham.

I was the only person to turn up to a meeting in Wareham; not even the organiser showed up. I gave him an ear-bashing on the phone for that, and let my membership lapse shortly afterwards. This was about 15 years ago. I never re-joined.

On my travels I did notice that it was quite a good mix of professionals - dentists, pharmacists, lawyers etc - in the early 20s age group, but above 40 it seemed to be populated by people using it as their runners-up prize in life i.e. the professionals had moved on to other things.

Just got my results and i'm in the Exceptionally gifted range.

Anyone else got a high IQ like me?

115 to 129 - Above average; bright

130 to 144 - Moderately gifted

145 to 159 - Highly gifted

160 to 179 - Exceptionally gifted

180 and up - Profoundly gifted

I imagine you're nearer 160 than 179.

You might as well join Mensa. I expect there are quite a lot of benefits you can access if you are a member! Plus you can brag more.

One might think that bragging about my high IQ around the masses of people with lower IQ's would bring......undesirable results.

Thankfully I am socially and culturally advanced & very modest so never "brag".

One might think that bragging about my high IQ around the masses of people with lower IQ's would bring......undesirable results.

Thankfully I am socially and culturally advanced & very modest so never "brag".

Odd then that your persona on here is borderline retarded. Are you deliberately lowering yourself to fit in?

• 3 weeks later...
what an interesting post :lol: ;)

my IQ has been tested as quite high but I always saw that as just confirming that I was pretty good at IQ tests, nothing more

That's exactly what they show.

Did mine back in the late 70's and was invited to join. They certainly had their share of weirdos