Hysterical reaction to no news...

Unbelievable Jeff

I have read through both the '**** creek' thread and the 'Do we want Cortese back?' thread and I have got to say

What the actual **** is wrong with you lot?

If anyone from any other club read our board and the opinions of some people of a board who have yet to do anything that can be deemed as penny pinching, irresponsible etc, they would absolutely **** themselves. So we sacked 2 x Under 18's coaches. So what? Perhaps they weren't doing a particularly good job. Perhaps we want to re-structure the coaching team. I don't know, but bloody hell, it's not the end of the world is it?

Seriously, wait until the board actually does anything of note before you judge them. There are numerous things that need to be sorted out by the board, so lets sit back and let them do it.

- Pochettino's contract - Even though this is seen as something that needs to be sorted, he still has a year left on his contract. What does it matter if his contract is 1 year or 5 years - if a big club comes calling he will be off.

- Shaw bid - I guarantee there are negotiations going on behind the scenes, but £27m for an 18 year old LEFT BACK is incredible money. I don't give a **** if Cortese said he'd manage to keep him - I actually think that is a ridiculous decision for a player who could do a Jay Rod next week and never be the same again (not that I am saying that will happen to Jay Rod). He may not even fulfill his potential, football is littered with examples of young players that have never developed further.

- Lallana bid - Again, this will be being discussed, but I guarantee that we will not sell him for less than a ****-ton of cash. frankly, if a player like Lallana wants to play Champions League football, Cortese wouldn't be able to keep him either.

Yes, I liked Cortese as much as the next fan, but give this board a chance before you start getting hysterical about them. It seems that a lot of ou are partaking in the hysteria that the press is trying to create, which is really quite pathetic. We have just had one of the best seasons ever as Saints fans, but for some reason you lot are acting like we're down in League 1 again.

So, everyone, calm the **** down. The World Cup is coming up, where we have 7 players. Watch it with pride, and come back at the beginning of July when these small issues will have been resolved.

COYS

A lot of that is all valid talking points, wouldn't call any of it hysterical.

Wouldn't be much to talk about on a forum if we were just to sit back and wait until August.

I agree there wouldn't be much to talk about, and it's fine to discuss it, I just can't believe some of the reaction to NO NEWS. If we'd had bad news, or if there had been indications of complete mismanagement (which Cortese's last 5 months shows more of than the new boards last 5) then I'd understand, but all we're doing is getting ourselves worked up over rumour. Seems ridiculous to me.

I have read through both the '**** creek' thread and the 'Do we want Cortese back?' thread and I have got to say

If anyone from any other club read our board and the opinions of some people of a board who have yet to do anything that can be deemed as penny pinching, irresponsible etc, they would absolutely **** themselves. So we sacked 2 x Under 18's coaches. So what? Perhaps they weren't doing a particularly good job. Perhaps we want to re-structure the coaching team. I don't know, but bloody hell, it's not the end of the world is it?

Seriously, wait until the board actually does anything of note before you judge them. There are numerous things that need to be sorted out by the board, so lets sit back and let them do it.

- Pochettino's contract - Even though this is seen as something that needs to be sorted, he still has a year left on his contract. What does it matter if his contract is 1 year or 5 years - if a big club comes calling he will be off.

- Shaw bid - I guarantee there are negotiations going on behind the scenes, but £27m for an 18 year old LEFT BACK is incredible money. I don't give a **** if Cortese said he'd manage to keep him - I actually think that is a ridiculous decision for a player who could do a Jay Rod next week and never be the same again (not that I am saying that will happen to Jay Rod). He may not even fulfill his potential, football is littered with examples of young players that have never developed further.

- Lallana bid - Again, this will be being discussed, but I guarantee that we will not sell him for less than a ****-ton of cash. frankly, if a player like Lallana wants to play Champions League football, Cortese wouldn't be able to keep him either.

Yes, I liked Cortese as much as the next fan, but give this board a chance before you start getting hysterical about them. It seems that a lot of ou are partaking in the hysteria that the press is trying to create, which is really quite pathetic. We have just had one of the best seasons ever as Saints fans, but for some reason you lot are acting like we're down in League 1 again.

So, everyone, calm the **** down. The World Cup is coming up, where we have 7 players. Watch it with pride, and come back at the beginning of July when these small issues will have been resolved.

COYS

well said!!

I have to agree with everything you've said.

Aside from a (perhaps) naive statement about finances, I can't see anything to complain about from the current board.

With the current uncertainty (albeit created by outside forces), it is only natural for people to romanticise a steely eyed, determined savior. But in all honesty, like you suggest, it's much easier to say what you would do in the circumstance if you can't be tested on it.

A lot of that is all valid talking points, wouldn't call any of it hysterical.

A lot of it is. Hearing nothing new after a week and declaring that we're up a creek with no paddle and so on massively over the top.

Hodgson has said that he wants no talk of transfers in the England camp (whether this will be the case is a different matter) but the two players who have reportedly been the subject of big money bids are part of the exact camp that he has ruled out transfer talk from. They have the whole summer to decide where they will be playing football next season, but for the next month I would put money on them focusing soley on enjoying being part of the England set up for a World Cup in Brasil. They will be enjoying the experience and growing as players. They are both down to earth, and so will surely focus on the World Cup and then consider where they are at in terms of league action. Let's not forget that last summer they both signed new contracts, too.

Another talking point on here is the kit. The director of Veho has seen it. There is a kit. We just don't have the details on it, but that doesn't mean the club are hiding anything from us, they are probably putting together an advertising campaign for it for when it is released, and while our star players are away training with their respective International teams for the World Cup, they probably won't get a chance to do a photoshoot for a while and we will see it when it is announced. We are Southampton, we do have a kit.

Pochettino. Year left on his contract, and said in many press conferences that he has been planning for next season with us. Has a year left to run on his contract, what's the hurry to sign up on a new one when we have all summer until next season starts and he then has a further league year should he need it to decide to sign a new contract. Can't see him going to Spurs unless they make him an offer he can't refuse. He has a good set up here, and by looking at his interaction with players in photo's and videos - a great relationship with the squad. Spurs are in the Europa league, a competition he has said that he doesn't like. Much is made of the lack of managerial consistency at Spurs, too, the managers chair at Spurs comes with a built in trapdoor as he will knowas in the time he has been with us they have fired two managers. If he goes? It's not the end of the world, there are literally thousands of football managers in the world.

Announcements...well, whats the use in announcing that there is nothing to announce? It may put the fans minds to rest, but then you'd still get people coming on here and asking why there is nothing to announce...when there has been something to announce, we have been told: players out of contract, change of kit supplier, Gallagher's new contract. If they haven't announced that Pochettino has signed a new contract? It's still being negotiated. If they haven't announced that Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana have been sold? They haven't been.

Announcing things purely to put the fans mind to rest could be a dangerous tactic. If they say categorically that Shaw won't leave under any circumstances, and then Real Madrid come in and offer him 150,000 a week and 50m to us upfront and they sell him, fans will hold on to the "But you said you wouldn't sell him, you're a liar!" routine and use it as a stick to beat the club with.

So much of what has been posted on here in the last couple of weeks is reactionary, over the top and ungrounded fear and concern. Personally, I have loved it. Some posts have been gold, and I'm especially pleased that Alpine started so early this year so we can have a good old laugh all summer.

Edited by Beckenham Saint

A lot of it is. Hearing nothing new after a week and declaring that we're up a creek with no paddle and so on massively over the top.

Hodgson has said that he wants no talk of transfers in the England camp (whether this will be the case is a different matter) but the two players who have reportedly been the subject of big money bids are part of the exact camp that he has ruled out transfer talk from. They have the whole summer to decide where they will be playing football next season, but for the next month I would put money on them focusing soley on enjoying being part of the England set up for a World Cup in Brasil. They will be enjoying the experience and growing as players. They are both down to earth, and so will surely focus on the World Cup and then consider where they are at in terms of league action. Let's not forget that last summer they both signed new contracts, too.

Another talking point on here is the kit. The director of Veho has seen it. There is a kit. We just don't have the details on it, but that doesn't mean the club are hiding anything from us, they are probably putting together an advertising campaign for it for when it is released, and while our star players are away training they probably won't get a chance to do a photoshoot for a while and we will see it when it is announced. We are Southampton, we do have a kit.

Pochettino. Year left on his contract, and said in many press conferences that he has been planning for next season with us. Has a year left to run on his contract, what's the hurry to sign up on a new one when we have all summer until next season starts and he then has a further year should he need it to decide to sign a new contract. If he goes? It's not the end of the world, there are literally thousands of football managers in the world.

Announcements...well, whats the use in announcing that there is nothing to announce? It may put the fans minds to rest, but then you'd still get people coming on here and asking why there is nothing to announce...when there has been something to announce, we have been told: players out of contract, change of kit supplier, Gallagher's new contract. If they haven't announced that Pochettino has signed a new contract? It's still being negotiated. If they haven't announced that Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana have been sold? They haven't been.

Announcing things purely to put the fans mind to rest could be a dangerous tactic. If they say categorically that Shaw won't leave under any circumstances, and then Real Madrid come in and offer him 150,000 a week and 50m to us upfront and they sell him, fans will hold on to the "But you said you wouldn't sell him, you're a liar!" routine and use it as a stick to beat the club with.

So much of what has been posted on here in the last couple of weeks is reactionary, over the top and ungrounded fear and concern. Personally, I have loved it. Some posts have been gold, and I'm especially pleased that Alpine started so early this year so we can have a good old laugh all summer.

We haven't even had the Champions League final yet...so early.

Another talking point on here is the kit. The director of Veho has seen it. There is a kit. We just don't have the details on it, but that doesn't mean the club are hiding anything from us, they are probably putting together an advertising campaign for it for when it is released, and while our star players are away training with their respective International teams for the World Cup, they probably won't get a chance to do a photoshoot for a while and we will see it when it is announced. We are Southampton, we do have a kit.

Pochettino. Year left on his contract, and said in many press conferences that he has been planning for next season with us. Has a year left to run on his contract, what's the hurry to sign up on a new one when we have all summer until next season starts and he then has a further league year should he need it to decide to sign a new contract. Can't see him going to Spurs unless they make him an offer he can't refuse. He has a good set up here, and by looking at his interaction with players in photo's and videos - a great relationship with the squad. Spurs are in the Europa league, a competition he has said that he doesn't like. Much is made of the lack of managerial consistency at Spurs, too, the managers chair at Spurs comes with a built in trapdoor as he will knowas in the time he has been with us they have fired two managers. If he goes? It's not the end of the world, there are literally thousands of football managers in the world.

take a bow sir

And then we signed Osvaldo. Good point.

What is more hysterical?

Starting a thread bemoaning a 'summer of transfer inactivity' after we'd already signed Lovren and paid a club-record fee for Wanyama, and trying to heap the 'blame' onto Cortese?

Or people expressing genuine concern about ubiquitious press rumours of a player exodus, the direction and ambition of the club at board-room level, and whether or not our manager will be here next season?

What is more hysterical?

Starting a thread bemoaning a 'summer of transfer inactivity' after we'd already signed Lovren and paid a club-record fee for Wanyama, and trying to heap the 'blame' onto Cortese?

Or people expressing genuine concern about ubiquitious press rumours of a player exodus, the direction and ambition of the club at board-room level, and whether or not our manager will be here next season?

I see your point, they are both hysterical.

The forum would benefit from a few more positive posts or threads. Does anyone have any good news to report?

I do. I'm going to become a granddad for the first time sometime in the next two weeks. Can't wait.

COYS

Bit of a hysterical reaction TBH

COYS

Well said. Disagree about Shaw though, he will be a match-winner next season.

How many points does everyone think we will need to stay up next year ?

......haven't I read this question ...a few hundred times before ?.

So for the sake of the stats....many people see 40 as the safety limit, although I think one team did go down a while ago with even more, but in most seasons clubs can survive with 38 pts.

Simply.... a point a game average is normally enough........and a goal difference that doesn't exceed -10/-15.

Let's just wait and see eh?

Says the guy who brought you the 'who is to blame for the summer of transfer inactivity?' thread AFTER spending £20m last summer. Possibly the most 'hysterical' thread I can remember on here. If you'd have waited you would have been delivered the striker you were looking for.

You've still not given a reason why only you are allowed to be worried about the clubs transfer policy and others are slated for doing so. Bit of a strange one as nearly all press rumours this summer are negative about the club, whereas we had the lovely epithet 'ambitious' affixed to the club in most reports last summer.

Says the guy who brought you the 'who is to blame for the summer of transfer inactivity?' thread AFTER spending £20m last summer. Possibly the most 'hysterical' thread I can remember on here. If you'd have waited you would have been delivered the striker you were looking for.

You've still not given a reason why only you are allowed to be worried about the clubs transfer policy and others are slated for doing so. Bit of a strange one as nearly all press rumours this summer are negative about the club, whereas we had the lovely epithet 'ambitious' affixed to the club in most reports last summer.

A) I don't think any of us were delivered the stiker we wanted last year, do you?

B) Where did you ask that question? I admitted above it was a bit hysterical, like the reaction at the moment, so what's your problem? Surely I am in the best place to judge whether or not a reaction is hysterical, because I fell into the trap last year.

A) I don't think any of us were delivered the stiker we wanted last year, do you?

B) Where did you ask that question? I admitted above it was a bit hysterical, like the reaction at the moment, so what's your problem? Surely I am in the best place to judge whether or not a reaction is hysterical, because I fell into the trap last year.

a) The original thread was about a lack of signings in the striker position, so it is quite disingenuous of you to turn around and say that Osvaldo wasn't the striker we needed as though that was part of the point you were first making. Very easy escape route to take with hindsight. Personally, I was delighted with the signing (as I was already with Lovren and Wanyama) and I still think he has the attributes to succeed, were it not for his mentality letting him down. As it turns out we secured a top 8 spot - which you seriously doubted - largely without him.

b) Fair enough for admitting your reaction last summer was over the top, but I'm not sure why that puts you in the best place to ask 'what the actual **** is wrong with you lot?' and telling everyone to 'calm the **** down'. All a bit unnecessary. While there is a lot of crap being written about Saints in the media, there has to be some substance to the perennial rumours about Shaw, Lallana, and Poch leaving. Journalists like Peach and Blackmore wouldn't continually talk about it being a testing summer for Saints, accept the inevitability of Shaw and Lallana moving on, and describe the lack of communication b/w the new board and players, without any inside information. This time last year we had only new signings to look forward to and all of our key players signed up on long-term deals, yet you still got angry. Now it is frenzied rumour and speculation about all of our players and managers leaving, but you get angry with others. Are you a contrarian?

The forum would benefit from a few more positive posts or threads. Does anyone have any good news to report?

My son is getting married this weekend. So perhaps one day there will be another young Saints supporter

a) The original thread was about a lack of signings in the striker position, so it is quite disingenuous of you to turn around and say that Osvaldo wasn't the striker we needed as though that was part of the point you were first making. Very easy escape route to take with hindsight. Personally, I was delighted with the signing (as I was already with Lovren and Wanyama) and I still think he has the attributes to succeed, were it not for his mentality letting him down. As it turns out we secured a top 8 spot - which you seriously doubted - largely without him.

b) Fair enough for admitting your reaction last summer was over the top, but I'm not sure why that puts you in the best place to ask 'what the actual **** is wrong with you lot?' and telling everyone to 'calm the **** down'. All a bit unnecessary. While there is a lot of crap being written about Saints in the media, there has to be some substance to the perennial rumours about Shaw, Lallana, and Poch leaving. Journalists like Peach and Blackmore wouldn't continually talk about it being a testing summer for Saints, accept the inevitability of Shaw and Lallana moving on, and describe the lack of communication b/w the new board and players, without any inside information. This time last year we had only new signings to look forward to and all of our key players signed up on long-term deals, yet you still got angry. Now it is frenzied rumour and speculation about all of our players and managers leaving, but you get angry with others. Are you a contrarian?

There were perennial rumours in January that Poch and Shaw were leaving, as well as the club going into meltdown there and then. It didn't happen, so no, I don't take journalists/papers words for it. They may be right, they may be wrong, but until things start happening I don't see the point in banging the drum over and over that this board are sh!t and not communicating (even though we had a long, official, statement on Poch, transfers etc from Les Reed less than 2 weeks ago), that we are falling apart and that next season we'll be lucky not to be relegated.

One of my main points last season was that we needed the players in early so that they could partake in Summer training (our style of play is difficult to learn/adapt to) and so we could take advantage of our easy start to the season. Whichever way you look at it, we brought in Osvaldo too late to have the desired impact. that was one of my main points.

The stuff on here is laughable. People claiming the new board are useless and losing faith in them. What have they done wrong so far? They've issued a statement a few weeks back clarifying the position but it's not enough. Have we sold anyone for a pittance? No. How do people know that they aren't working on plans with poch right now for new signings and his new deal? How do people know they aren't working on transfers and new contracts for players? How do people know they haven't told Lallana and Shaw they aren't for sale?

What we do know is a bitter ex chairman has been feeding his pals in press lines and giving interviews about how much better it'd be if he was here. What's his agenda? One thing is for sure it's working, look at the hysteria on here.

The stuff on here is laughable. People claiming the new board are useless and losing faith in them. What have they done wrong so far? They've issued a statement a few weeks back clarifying the position but it's not enough. Have we sold anyone for a pittance? No. How do people know that they aren't working on plans with poch right now for new signings and his new deal? How do people know they aren't working on transfers and new contracts for players? How do people know they haven't told Lallana and Shaw they aren't for sale?

What we do know is a bitter ex chairman has been feeding his pals in press lines and giving interviews about how much better it'd be if he was here. What's his agenda? One thing is for sure it's working, look at the hysteria on here.

Completely agree, this place is in meltdown. I'm currently going through and saving some classic quotes from people for later...

There were perennial rumours in January that Poch and Shaw were leaving, as well as the club going into meltdown there and then. It didn't happen, so no, I don't take journalists/papers words for it. They may be right, they may be wrong, but until things start happening I don't see the point in banging the drum over and over that this board are sh!t and not communicating (even though we had a long, official, statement on Poch, transfers etc from Les Reed less than 2 weeks ago), that we are falling apart and that next season we'll be lucky not to be relegated.

One of my main points last season was that we needed the players in early so that they could partake in Summer training (our style of play is difficult to learn/adapt to) and so we could take advantage of our easy start to the season. Whichever way you look at it, we brought in Osvaldo too late to have the desired impact. that was one of my main points.

I'm not saying that we should take all journalists/papers word for it. Football journalism in this country isn't some sort of monolithic entity - you can see faults in a lot of aspects of reportage, while accepting that certain journalists, like Blackmore and Peach, might have more insights and info due to their connections at the club. Both have expressed concerns about the communication between the new board and players - Blackmore has even said that this has come directly from the mouths of several players themselves. I don't think it is therefore 'hysterical' to assume that there might be some substance to what has written been about the club. Don't think many have actually said we will be relegated on this forum either. Just find all the inflammatory talk of everyone else being in cloud-cuckoo land a bit hard to reconcile with you previously banging the drum 'over and over' about the summer of 'inactivity' last season. As for Osvaldo, who had already played under Poch at Espanyol in his pressing style, a pre-season might have helped but his failure was more to him being an arrogant mentalist than anything else. He thought he was too good for the club and consequently spent more time fixing his hair than bothering to integrate with the squad.

I'm not saying that we should take all journalists/papers word for it. Football journalism in this country isn't some sort of monolithic entity - you can see faults in a lot of aspects of reportage, while accepting that certain journalists, like Blackmore and Peach, might have more insights and info due to their connections at the club. Both have expressed concerns about the communication between the new board and players - Blackmore has even said that this has come directly from the mouths of several players themselves. I don't think it is therefore 'hysterical' to assume that there might be some substance to what has written been about the club. Don't think many have actually said we will be relegated on this forum either. Just find all the inflammatory talk of everyone else being in cloud-cuckoo land a bit hard to reconcile with you previously banging the drum 'over and over' about the summer of 'inactivity' last season. As for Osvaldo, who had already played under Poch at Espanyol in his pressing style, a pre-season might have helped but his failure was more to him being an arrogant mentalist than anything else. He thought he was too good for the club and consequently spent more time fixing his hair than bothering to integrate with the squad.

A few tweets from Adam in January....

- Saints FC boss Pochettino and key players to consider their futures again if Cortese walks - like last Summer - not good in a transfer window.

- Two likely outcomes to Cortese problem - he leaves, owners stick a chairman in and instruct someone to sell, or agreement signed 2 to 3 years.

- I think it will have a knock-on with players unless ownership take the bull by the horns very quickly.

- SaintsFC most urgent concern owner needs to deal with is keeping players on board during window - agents will have spotted an opportunity.

These are just a few, which you can see would fuel speculation/hysteria in January when nothing happened. Frankly, I'm afraid I don't believe everything he says. I believe Shaw is off, but there is no real problem with this. This is why I don't really give a **** about what the papers say - if you chuck enough **** at a wall some will stick.

I can't believe you think that joining towards the end of a window and not spending pre-season with the team matters. It matters massively. Players need to be brought in early or can take time to adjust, especially when it's a latin player coming to England.

At the moment Pochettino and Reed are planning player acquisitions ready for next season. Shaw and Lallana are off to the World Cup with the rest of the England squad. Why all the blind panic?

Just out of interest, what do you expect the club to be saying to the players? Cos I expect it will be the following.

"Business as usual, contract negotiations are on-going with Pochettino."

What more can be said when no decision has been made?

A few tweets from Adam in January....

- Saints FC boss Pochettino and key players to consider their futures again if Cortese walks - like last Summer - not good in a transfer window.

- Two likely outcomes to Cortese problem - he leaves, owners stick a chairman in and instruct someone to sell, or agreement signed 2 to 3 years.

- I think it will have a knock-on with players unless ownership take the bull by the horns very quickly.

- SaintsFC most urgent concern owner needs to deal with is keeping players on board during window - agents will have spotted an opportunity.

These are just a few, which you can see would fuel speculation/hysteria in January when nothing happened. Frankly, I'm afraid I don't believe everything he says. I believe Shaw is off, but there is no real problem with this. This is why I don't really give a **** about what the papers say - if you chuck enough **** at a wall some will stick.

I can't believe you think that joining towards the end of a window and not spending pre-season with the team matters. It matters massively. Players need to be brought in early or can take time to adjust, especially when it's a latin player coming to England.

At the moment Pochettino and Reed are planning player acquisitions ready for next season. Shaw and Lallana are off to the World Cup with the rest of the England squad. Why all the blind panic?

Just out of interest, what do you expect the club to be saying to the players? Cos I expect it will be the following.

"Business as usual, contract negotiations are on-going with Pochettino."

What more can be said when no decision has been made?

January really wasn't comparable to now and players were not openly talking about potentially leaving the club.

January really wasn't comparable to now and players were not openly talking about potentially leaving the club.

Why isn't it comparable to now? It was another time when there was going to be a meltdown and nothing happened.

I also have not seen any quotes saying that players want to leave either?