Adam Blackmore

Gemmel

Have sat on this for a while and make of it what you will....my brother's mate knows Daniel Levy well and last season, Levy told him that it is common knowledge on the Premiership owner/director circuit that Southampton FC is up for sale. I didn't disclose it on here. However I also taught the son of a Premiership club chairman who I got to know fairly well and he confirmed the same thing to me yesterday. He (and his wife!) also said that Cortese was a rude and downright obnoxious host, not exactly news I guess but this is straight from a Premiership chairman, we are for sale.

Premier League. Not Premiership. It was the Premier League when it was first established in 1992, it is the Premier League now (again since 2007 - so only the last seven years!!). Hard to believe any "facts" you put forward when you can't get the basics right (and yeah, you're not alone. I'm looking squarely at you now Mr Alan Brazil)

No one knows the payment structures of these deals, correct? If they're as bad as some have predicted then why would she sell everyone and not get the money up front? Getting it over 2 or 3 years doesn't help her.

yes it does it is added to the value of the club at sale or can be used as collateral to borrow money against!

. Anyone who is right now trying to throw a positive spin on it is sat with their head in the sand. Fact.

I've usually found on here that those who try and justify their opinions by saying "fact" after them, are mostly the ones with the least grasp the situation. This is especially true of all those who are prepared to make snap judgements before the start of the season and with another month to go before the transfer window closes.

Also, can you explain how somebody can be sat with their head in the sand. I'm pretty sure that it would be a physical impossibility.

I've usually found on here that those who try and justify their opinions by saying "fact" after them, are mostly the ones with the least grasp the situation. This is especially true of all those who are prepared to make snap judgements before the start of the season and with another month to go before the transfer window closes.

Also, can you explain how somebody can be sat with their head in the sand. I'm pretty sure that it would be a physical impossibility.

Detachable head.

Ask Lovren.

the 'wait until the season starts' excuse does my head in. Liverpool havent waited nor the majority of other clubs, and no other PL side has been decimated of their first team like us. It is bordering on incompetance that players who have been likely to leave for weeks/ months have not been lined up. Bed wetter i may be, but Iam not comatose either.

The warning bells started ringing for me months ago, and when Reed (?) mentioned McQueen Gallagher etc it became plain that the policy is to throw them in.

We have lost the major part of our goalscoring threat. Yes we have purchased 2 untried players in, one is 29! and never played PL. it is a nonsense and I do hope your trust in the board is well founded, from here and a lot of football fans away from our club are as bemused as Iam.

Window box?

Based on what? Why is it anymore unlikely than anything else that has gone on this summer?

Based on my believing he knows no more than rest of us. I'm not saying the club isn't up for sale, if I were her acting rationally I'd have sold it by now, but I don't believe it is up for sale, not formally anyway.

the 'wait until the season starts' excuse does my head in. Liverpool havent waited nor the majority of other clubs, and no other PL side has been decimated of their first team like us. It is bordering on incompetance that players who have been likely to leave for weeks/ months have not been lined up. Bed wetter i may be, but Iam not comatose either.

The warning bells started ringing for me months ago, and when Reed (?) mentioned McQueen Gallagher etc it became plain that the policy is to throw them in.

We have lost the major part of our goalscoring threat. Yes we have purchased 2 untried players in, one is 29! and never played PL. it is a nonsense and I do hope your trust in the board is well founded, from here and a lot of football fans away from our club are as bemused as Iam.

We don't have to wait until the start of the season to see the damage that has been done to team morale and the message we have sent out by selling Chambers. That will still be the case regardless of who we bring in.

We don't have to wait until the start of the season to see the damage that has been done to team morale and the message we have sent out by selling Chambers. That will still be the case regardless of who we bring in.
Lovren and MS are far more significant sales for us than Chambers. If we had been able to keep them and VW we still had a spine to the team, and some leaders. Replacing what Lovren gives us will cost more than 20m

Lovren and MS are far more significant sales for us than Chambers. If we had been able to keep them and VW we still had a spine to the team, and some leaders. Replacing what Lovren gives us will cost more than 20m

In the short term yes but not in the long term. Chambers will be worth far more next season yet it seems we are now prepared to sell our top players even before they have broken through in a big way.

Your sentiments are echoed in todays email from the Equaliser...

The team torn to shreds by the transfer window. Some pretty scary stats in there http://view.e.theequaliser.com/?j=fe8e15797d62067e71&m=fe981573716d067e74&ls=fe241c757c66007d701678&l=ff64107371&s=fe2915777162077f7c1270&jb=ff981576&ju=fe6a17717d6704787414&r=0

Although replacing Lovren numerically with a cheapo dutchman certainly won't cost us 20 million £. Whether the product will be of a similar quality remains to be seen. That's what we're doing you know, selling our better players and replacing them with cheap lookalikes from Holland and Dutch league. I've no ide if Koeman did that at Valencia, probably not.

yes... it must be easy to post like WT does and refute anything negative becoz there's still time to rectify it... perhaps an opinion based on losing our best 5/6 players wouldn't go amiss... for me it was always going to happen as soon as Cortese left...

Anyone who belittles what he achieved as our Chairman obviously prefers us to be playing in League 1.. which we may be again in the not too distant future.

Although replacing Lovren numerically with a cheapo dutchman certainly won't cost us 20 million £. Whether the product will be of a similar quality remains to be seen. That's what we're doing you know, selling our better players and replacing them with cheap lookalikes from Holland and Dutch league. I've no ide if Koeman did that at Valencia, probably not.

Koeman had a great side at Valencia. Still managed to botch things with Villa, Silva, Mata etc.

I think the fact that KL obviously doesn't want to sell the club is positive. She and her father have provided financial stability. With the state of money and football at the moment, this has to be admirable.

We might struggle a bit next year but as a club that isn't at the top table, that must be expected. And we are safe in the knowledge that our finances are sustainable.

Do you really believe over 100m will be spent on the club? also if we go down are finances are far from sustainable!

probably why he's so universally detested down that way then, oh and the reported 6 million € pay-off for being sacked probably doesn't help his case.

Won the equivalent of the FA Cup though. I reckon we'd all be happy if he managed that here then got sacked

Won the equivalent of the FA Cup though. I reckon we'd all be happy if he managed that here then got sacked

the cups are of little consequence in Spain, consolation prize for hard triers. Same as here in France, we even had an amateur club in the final a couple of years back.

KL banks 100m

Spends 40m on replacements

Gambles that koeman can keep us up to continue to bank TV money

Slow and steady investment over next few years

Always for sale at right price....club that is

spot on, except that more than 100 million will be banked. 91 million and counting from transfers alone as of today, not that we've received it all yet of course, When Morgan and Gaston go it will be up around 120 million. If you believe italian commentators we're even playing hard ball on Osvaldo, Inter want a loan, we want cash now.

the 'wait until the season starts' excuse does my head in. Liverpool havent waited nor the majority of other clubs.

Who is Suarez's replacement at Liverpool then? Likely he was to go for several weeks, but they have not replaced their one world class player yet, nor do they seem close to doing so

Who is Suarez's replacement at Liverpool then? Likely he was to go for several weeks, but they have not replaced their one world class player yet, nor do they seem close to doing so

Suarez is irreplacable... they are buying a variety of striking option to cater for it... please don't compare Suarez leaving Liverpool with our scenario... completely different.

Markovic I expect, was to be a double pronger with Remy but now that's gone tits up. Suarez 30 goals last season, SRL and Markovic need to get 15 each then.

They signed Rickie Lambert before they sold Suarez... he must be his replacement

Markovic I expect, was to be a double pronger with Remy but now that's gone tits up. Suarez 30 goals last season, SRL and Markovic need to get 15 each then.

Sturridge may get a couple! had not heard about Markovic, thanks, but they surely need to land him soon

Suarez is irreplacable... they are buying a variety of striking option to cater for it... please don't compare Suarez leaving Liverpool with our scenario... completely different.

Ah, but the post said Liverpool had not waited [to sign players...unlike us]. They have not signed anyone up front apart from SRL yet, who was always going to be in addition to the front two

But OldNick said "If we had been able to keep them"

Semantics rather than substance

yep you've got me there. Are you confident enough to go and get Morgan printed on a new saints shirt? Probably my wording confused the issue, not the first time for that! It is in the context if were able to keep the 3 i mentioned it was far more important than the sale of Chambers who like LS is mainly about potential. Wenger has messed up loads of young talent, and I dont believe Walcot Chamberlain or Wilshire are as good as they could have been, all opinion of course.

Ah, but the post said Liverpool had not waited [to sign players...unlike us]. They have not signed anyone up front apart from SRL yet, who was always going to be in addition to the front two
In the time we have sold 4 players we have purchased 2 and with more to leave. Liverpool has sold a player who is not the type you can do a like for like replacement. they have bought players who will strengthen the squad. It is hard to say what position Suarez plays, is he a number 9 or a number 10?

Jesus Christ, seriously. The Liebherr's have been notoriously quiet the entire time they've owned the club.

Why don't you just wait and see what happens over the next few weeks. We are rolling in it, have a great academy, good players remaining and a very well established manager with world class pedigree as a player. We are being linked with a lot of quality players and it could be a very exciting time.

I hope she doesn't read the forum and realise what a bunch of ungrateful bedwetters saints fans are in general tbh. She would sell up.

Yes, seriously, sonny. Just about the last thing you could ever call me is a bedwetter. If anything, I go too far in the other direction.

But Markus's silence resulted from the fact that Cortese did all the talking (a fair bit of which was "he's not for sale"), and Katharina has spoken before to set to rest any unease about the club or her intentions.

The longer she stays quiet now (because Reed's and Krueger's credibility are decidedly lacking), the more devoid of leadership and direction we appear to be. And the longer that continues, the more likely it is that she doesn't plan on being here long.

The messaging isn't just important for the fans but for players we're targeting - with less than three weeks until season start. Right now we look like a basket case, and I can't see too many quality targets joining us unless someone (other than Reed or Krueger) injects some positivity and direction.

If that viewpoint makes me a bedwetter, I guess I've crossed over into the dark side.

Edited by CanadaSaint

Replacing players who barely played for a miserable England WC team and dont want to be here with players who were key for the 3rd placed. Thats fine by me and if they're cheaper, even better.

Edited by buctootim

Yes, seriously, sonny. Just about the last thing you could ever call me is a bedwetter. If anything, I go too far in the other direction.

But Markus's silence resulted from the fact that Cortese did all the talking (a fair bit of which was "he's not for sale"), and Katharina has spoken before to set to rest any unease about the club or her intentions.

The longer she stays quite now (because Reed's and Krueger's credibility are decidedly lacking), the more devoid of leadership and direction we appear to be. And the longer that continues, the more likely it is that she doesn't plan on being here long.

The messaging isn't just important for the fans but for players we're targeting - with less than three weeks until season start. Right now we look like a basket case, and I can't see too many quality targets joining us unless someone (other than Reed or Krueger) injects some positivity and direction.

If that viewpoint makes me a bedwetter, I guess I've crossed over into the dark side.

Welcome to the darkside .....glad to have you on board as you always speak sense to me. How anyone can bury their head at this time and fail to see what is clearly wrong with this board baffles me but hey I guess thats what makes us all different. I appreciate all the Liebherrs have done but are in danger of undoing quite a large chunk of that now and lose any goodwill they have built up.

Far too many are now bandwagon jumping in the media and this need to be put to bed quickly. The one thing that the last 5 years has seen is dimished fan against fan (not all) that has now changed due to the recent actions - Chambers the catalyst really - most accepted losing the others.

The longer she stays quiet now (because Reed's and Krueger's credibility are decidedly lacking), the more devoid of leadership and direction we appear to be. And the longer that continues, the more likely it is that she doesn't plan on being here long.

Your general point makes good sense, but the suggestion that Cortese did a lot of talking to the fans?! Dont recall too much of that (apart from explaining how hard it was for him to fire Nige) and I do remember folks wishing he would communicate with us

KL banks 100m

Gambles that koeman can keep us up to continue to bank TV money

Always for sale at right price....club that is

Orr........she pockets the money, gambles that the youth are good enough - we go down, club is worth f*ck all due to having players who aren't good enough and not being a Prem side.

Your general point makes good sense, but the suggestion that Cortese did a lot of talking to the fans?! Dont recall too much of that (apart from explaining how hard it was for him to fire Nige) and I do remember folks wishing he would communicate with us

He didn't do much talking I agree but as fans were we ever uncertain about what direction the club was heading and what the goals were?

He didn't do much talking I agree but as fans were we ever uncertain about what direction the club was heading and what the goals were?

Do you not think they will save any positive / grand messages until we have signed a few more of our targets (and worked out if we can hang on to MS)? To do so now would be dismissed as empty talk / lets see the evidence / we want action, not words etc. If we land a few decent players the messages will have a lot more credibility

Do you not think they will save any positive / grand messages until we have signed a few more of our targets (and worked out if we can hang on to MS)? To do so now would be dismissed as empty talk / lets see the evidence / we want action, not words etc. If we land a few decent players the messages will have a lot more credibility

Perhaps, but right now our sales aren't even accompanied with any reasons as to why the players are sold etc. The club has a right to defend itself and try to manage the way it is portrayed in the media but the silence means it is a free for all in the media and the fans (including myself) are concerned.

True, but A) Cortese was a veritable chatterbox compared to the current 'leadership' recently, B) if Cortese said something you knew he meant it, and C) there was always a sense of direction about the club.

I haven't given up on this, but the longer Katharina stays silent the more doubtful I become that she's still committed and that we can get the ship righted for a decent season.

KL banks 100m

Trusts that koeman can keep us up to continue to bank TV money

(Always for sale at right price....club that is)

Is that a bad business model then?

Seems perfectly self-sustaining to me, in fact, that kind of annual income/retention would be the envy of every other PL club

(and every profitable business is always for sale to a willing bidder, just like every player is)

Is that a bad business model then?

Seems perfectly self-sustaining to me, in fact, that kind of annual income/retention would be the envy of every other PL club

(and every profitable business is always for sale to a willing bidder, just like every player is)

Not bad if it works....but it is a big gamble and which clubs have been successful by doing this

yep you've got me there. Are you confident enough to go and get Morgan printed on a new saints shirt? Probably my wording confused the issue, not the first time for that! It is in the context if were able to keep the 3 i mentioned it was far more important than the sale of Chambers who like LS is mainly about potential. Wenger has messed up loads of young talent, and I dont believe Walcot Chamberlain or Wilshire are as good as they could have been, all opinion of course.

Absolutely not. Your post will no doubt be correct if posted this time next week.

If Katrina was going to sell, why would she intentionally make us less valuable?

She isn't - the club is the bricks and mortar. Player contracts appear as liabilities, not as realisable assets. If I was selling the club, the best way to maximise the return is sell the best players separately. You wouldn't get an extra £100 million on the sale value of the club with the players still there, that is the point.