St Mary's not being used for RWC 2015

doubleonothing

The list of grounds for the Rugby Wolrd Cup in 2015 has been announced with the Amex getting the nod over St Mary's.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2287325/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-Football-grounds-make-quarters-venues.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Did you read the article? It would appear no-one else responding to this thread has either, as it doesn't say that at all.

A very misleading thread title and opening post.

Edited by Matthew Le God

But a spokesman for the 2015 Rugby World Cup denied the list was valid.

'That list is not at all true. It is entirely speculation,' he said. 'It is not the final list.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2287325/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-Football-grounds-make-quarters-venues.html#ixzz2MUGuD64l

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Did you read the article? It would appear no-one else responding to this thread has either, as it doesn't say that at all.

Even if it hasn't be chosen, I don't wish for it to be selected.

So I would say....

Good.

Even if it hasn't be chosen, I don't wish for it to be selected.

So I would say....

Good.

Why not? Can't see a reason why it would be a bad thing. Unless its the pitch issue, but then it would probably be a condition that the pitch gets replaced afterwards in any case.

I'm not a massive rugger fan but I reckon I'd have gone to a game or two at St. Mary's if we get it (although it does sound like we won't).

Why not? Can't see a reason why it would be a bad thing. Unless its the pitch issue, but then it would probably be a condition that the pitch gets replaced afterwards in any case.

I'm not a massive rugger fan but I reckon I'd have gone to a game or two at St. Mary's if we get it (although it does sound like we won't).

It is the pitch issue. Even a fresh pitch will still take time to 'bed in' as seen with other stadiums which have replaced pitches. Just keep it for football, much simpler!

It is the pitch issue. Even a fresh pitch will still take time to 'bed in' as seen with other stadiums which have replaced pitches. Just keep it for football, much simpler!

Most PL pitches get replaced every summer now anyway. And unlike Wembley which had huge problems, most pitches don't take time to bed in. Man United and other clubs have even replaced pitches during the season in seasons past. None of Man United, Newcastle, Sunderland, Villa from the PL deem it a problem, nor do the 7 Football League clubs who bid, so I don't see why we should.

Personally I think it would be good for the city.

Totally short sighted of most to argue that it would be a bad thing. How can it be a bad thing to have what is arguably the 3rd biggest world sporting event behind the Olympics and the Football World Cup? The profile it will give the city and our football club will be huge. If selected there would probably only be 3 or 4 games staged anyway so the arguement that the pitch would suffer is a red herring given that Dreading host London Irish every other week as did Watford, with Saracen's, until recently and Wycombe still do with Wasps.

Don't agree. The final choice of venue for south coast bids was between St Mary's and the Amex with a (as i understand it) very closely fought contest between the two. The RFU delved pretty deeply into both bids, but chose the Amex. Fair enough, St Mary's put up a good bid as i understand it. Shame, as it would have been terrific to have hosted some RWC matches. And before you ask, my source comes from Brighton FC.

Don't agree. The final choice of venue for south coast bids was between St Mary's and the Amex with a (as i understand it) very closely fought contest between the two. The RFU delved pretty deeply into both bids, but chose the Amex. Fair enough, St Mary's put up a good bid as i understand it. Shame, as it would have been terrific to have hosted some RWC matches. And before you ask, my source comes from Brighton FC.

You may well have a good source, but my point was this thread and the opening post is based on an article that does not say what the opening poster says it does.

The list of grounds for the Rugby Wolrd Cup in 2015 has been announced with the Amex getting the nod over St Mary's.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2287325/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-Football-grounds-make-quarters-venues.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The article even says...

"But a spokesman for the 2015 Rugby World Cup denied the list was valid. 'That list is not at all true. It is entirely speculation,' he said. 'It is not the final list."