Christmas spending on children

Jillyanne

People should only spend what they can afford. It's easy receiving things, but not so easy paying for them. That said some people are just c/nts who have no problem receiving things and then not paying for them. This is all hypothetical of course...

People should only spend what they can afford. It's easy receiving things, but not so easy paying for them. That said some people are just c/nts who have no problem receiving things and then not paying for them. This is all hypothetical of course...

I disagree, surely this is not teaching children the value of money, example, my Stepson wants a MacBook, he already has a Laptop, X-Box, i-Pod, PS2 etc!!! FFS where does it stop?

I disagree, surely this is not teaching children the value of money, example, my Stepson wants a MacBook, he already has a Laptop, X-Box, i-Pod, PS2 etc!!! FFS where does it stop?

Tell him no. All kids need is a bike. Anything else is just a nine day wonder.

People should only spend what they can afford.

I agree that just because you can afford it doesnt mean that you should buy it. Im pretty strict with my two, but they are still products of their generation - in that its difficult to intill them a sense of valuing things and looking after them. Id rather spend money on going somewhere (eg West End show or even ski ing) than buyimng an elctronic box which is constantly outdated by the next one.

Tell him no. All kids need is a bike. Anything else is just a nine day wonder.

Absolute bollux. I know at least one kid on here who had a bike and bloody remote control car as well....

For the record, I spend loads on my kids at Christmas - they are spoiled rotten. I love Christmas, it's a time to separate the men from the toys.

Absolute bollux. I know at least one kid on here who had a bike and bloody remote control car as well....

For the record, I spend loads on my kids at Christmas - they are spoiled rotten. I love Christmas, it's a time to separate the men from the toys.

Surely spoilt kids = bloody annoying rugrats who want everything!!!

Say ok, here is a couple of hundred towards it as your Christmas present. Get him to ask anyone else to give cash instead and tell him to save the rest. Our nephews do this when they covert something unrealistic, and as a result save like demons to get it.

iPad2 for my daughter this year!!! Although TBH it is more of a family present as we'll all use it (me mostly). My daughter is spoilt rotten as she's an only child and only grandchild to a Mum and Grandma who love spending money on presents. It's all too much IMO to be honest. I don't agree that a spoiling a child makes them spoilt brats (if you know what I mean), letting them get away with things on a day to day basis does.

Personally I hate Xmas, a load of ****** if you ask me. The real farce is that my wife and I buy our own presents, wrap them up and open them on the day knowing full well what we've got.

iPad2 for my daughter this year!!! Although TBH it is more of a family present as we'll all use it (me mostly). My daughter is spoilt rotten as she's an only child and only grandchild to a Mum and Grandma who love spending money on presents. It's all too much IMO to be honest. I don't agree that a spoiling a child makes them spoilt brats (if you know what I mean), letting them get away with things on a day to day basis does.

Agreed. I've got no problem getting the kids decent stuff. They are doing their "jobs". They can fight like feck with each other in the house, but generally they're a credit to us whenever we're out as a family and are bringing home the bacon in terms of educational achievement.

If any of these things stopped, so would decent Chrimbo presents.

Personally I hate Xmas, a load of ****** if you ask me. The real farce is that my wife and I buy our own presents, wrap them up and open them on the day knowing full well what we've got.

I work with a bloke (boring Denis) who lives on his own and as such makes his own pack up for lunch, yet when he sits with us he opens his lunch box and goes "oooooh" in surprise before revealing some delicacy that he didn't expect.

Maybe he's opening someone elses lunch box

No it's his own lunch box packed by himself. He'll get a sandwich out and lift the bread to reveal something really interesting like a slice of cheese and some pickle and act like it's a surprise even though he made them 4 hours earlier. Some days he'll even have a scotch egg and that is a real talking point!

iPad2 for my daughter this year

I've got my eye on one of these for Lady Trousers. Did my usual trawl of the internet to find the best price but every retailer (bar almost none) has it on sale for the same price (£399 for the entry level model).

I assume this is because Apple effectively create a price cartel whereby they 'threaten' to withdraw supplies from retailers who don't stick to the RRP?

So much for free market competition....unless anyone knows of anyone 'reputable' selling it below RRP....

Now, how do I get down from this rather tall horse....?

I've got my eye on one of these for Lady Trousers. Did my usual trawl of the internet to find the best price but every retailer (bar almost none) has it on sale for the same price (£399 for the entry level model).

I assume this is because Apple effectively create a price cartel whereby they 'threaten' to withdraw supplies from retailers who don't stick to the RRP?

So much for free market competition....unless anyone knows of anyone 'reputable' selling it below RRP....

Yes we found the same price everywhere. However John Lewis do give a free 2 year warranty so we got it from there. Went for the 32Gb version as we will use it a lot for watching movies.

Yes we found the same price everywhere. However John Lewis do give a free 2 year warranty so we got it from there. Went for the 32Gb version as we will use it a lot for watching movies.

I'm already stretching my budget at £399 so paying an extra £80 for another 16 gig is probably the proverbial straw etc.

It galls me to pay an extortionate price for such a relatively small amount of storage - when you think you can buy c.100x that amount of storage externally for around the same price. Yet more profitering from our friends at Apple.

I'm already stretching my budget at £399 so paying an extra £80 for another 16 gig is probably the proverbial straw etc.

It galls me to pay an extortionate price for such a relatively small amount of storage - when you think you can buy c.100x that amount of storage externally for around the same price. Yet more profitering from our friends at Apple.

Of course you do have a choice from their competitors....not got a problem with paying for the 'best'...in my opinion they have to get top dollar while they can because somebody will produce something better very soon and then watch the prices plummet. Last year they did it themselves with the iPad2..thus ensuring that the profits they made on the first one enabled them to keep ahead of the game with their own product.

And I speak as someone who bought the first one for the angry one last xmas and will 'have to' buy the newer one this!

Of course you do have a choice from their competitors....not got a problem with paying for the 'best'...

I've not got a problem with paying more for the iPad brand. I'm simply highlighting that they they appear to make much more mark up on the bolt-ons to the entry level model than the mark up on the device itself.

I'd rather pay £80 for 1Tb of external storage and seletive sync films, music, etc from there to a 16gb iPad as and when required.

And don't get me started on the price for a 3G enabled iPad...who needs that when one has WIFI over 3G available...

Am I the exception to the rule? I'm like my Dad I think. If it works / does it job why get a newer one?

I've had my iPhone for 3 years now and I've got no need or desire to change it because it still does everything I want it to.

I hate the way the marketing tribes try to manipulate us into thinking that somehow we're to be admired less because we don't have the latest gizmo.

There's some footage of me in the 80's, aged about 8, unwrapping my presents one Christmas, and despite all the lovely presents I was given by my parents (who in spite of not having a lot of money always treated my sister and I very well presents-wise), I was most excited about opening a desk tidy. It cost my Mum about a quid, but at the time I thought it was a great present (from Father Christmas). I knew then I was going to be a geek, but it shows that money doesn't always buy the best presents.

I don't have kids yet, but I will, and they will be treated very well.

Am I the exception to the rule? I'm like my Dad I think. If it works / does it job why get a newer one?

I've had my iPhone for 3 years now and I've got no need or desire to change it because it still does everything I want it to.

I hate the way the marketing tribes try to manipulate us into thinking that somehow we're to be admired less because we don't have the latest gizmo.

I assume you still drive around in a 1976 Ford Cortina....? ;-)

(yes, I know modern cars are better than older cars in many ways but I guess the "new gizmo" freaks will be able to list as many efficiences in newer versions of the iPhone (for example) than older versions. For instance, I believe the battery is more efficient in later versions, thus iPhone users can single handledly save the planet by upgrading....)

;-)

I assume you still drive around in a 1976 Ford Cortina....? ;-)

(yes, I know modern cars are better than older cars in many ways but I guess the "new gizmo" freaks will be able to list as many efficiences in newer versions of the iPhone (for example) than older versions. For instance, I believe the battery is more efficient in later versions, thus iPhone users can single handledly save the planet by upgrading....)

;-)

No, I drive a 4 year old Mazda 3 and will do for the foreseeable future. And I only got that because I had to hand back my company car when I retired.

I wish I did have a 76 Cortina - or rather I wish I'd kept the one I used to have.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-APPLE-iPAD2-16GB-Wi-Fi-TABLET-SEALED-BLACK-/290627367973?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item43aabdb425

I may just have one myself

We don't get them anything specifically at Christmas any more, mind you they're pretty grown up now and those old studies are still costing us a fortune every year. Still one is in his last year (of 7) and the other only has 2 of 5 to go in the US.They'll come out of it with armour plated qualifications and no debt whatsoever which is better than some plasticcy crap on the 25th of December I suppose.As for the Mrs and I,well we haven't had a single gift from anyone for about 10 years now so I guess we won't be getting anything this year either.

No, I drive a 4 year old Mazda 3 and will do for the foreseeable future. And I only got that because I had to hand back my company car when I retired.

I wish I did have a 76 Cortina - or rather I wish I'd kept the one I used to have.

I can picture you in one like this.

Citroen%202Cv%20Dolly%20front.jpg

Yep, saw that EBAY seller in my internet trawl yesterday....lookign at some of the feedback it sounds like somone who sells "unopened" returns or American imports....

Whilst they get a high percentage of good feedback, I'll be keeping my bargepole in the garage for this one...

John Lewis are doing a "price match" offer on the iPad 2 today....not sure whose price they are matching but they've knocked £40 off.... http://www.johnlewis.com/Electricals/iPad+2+and+Tablet+PCs/Apple+iPad+2/View+all+Apple+iPad+2/20909/ProductCategory.aspx