We dont "do" the big occasion

alpine_saint

Sorry, I would like to know the cause for optimism that some of you have about Tuesdays game. Seriously. Maybe some of that optimism would rub off on me and other doomsayers if you explain.

From my current perspective, Southampton Football Club choke big occasions. Always have. 1976 we were massive underdogs, JPT 2010 was just a nice memorable day out with little meaning - it didnt change anything.

The big games, the big crunch points, we always blow - as we did yesterday; a win wouldnt have secured the title, but would have made auto promotion nailled-on.

We've blown what may turn out to be the last 2 local derbies and therefore last 2 chances of revenge for that 4-1 in 2005.

We blew the 2003 play-offs

We dont "do" the big occasion.....

Tend to agree with you, especially in the current climate of gloom after last night, but:

wasnt Brighton away last season a "big occasion" ? or Orient away, Brentford away, Plymouth away ? Games with Huddersfield breathing down our necks.

To be fair, NA has experience of handling squads in promotion run-ins. Just hope his skills here don't desert him.

We stayed up a lot on the last day.

We beat Brighton away last season

We beat West Ham at home this season.

You take Blackpool out of the recent away games and our away form is really good.

I am a little more worried now, because of the goal difference, but if we win on Tuesday or next Saturday I will be much happier.

How can you have such a short memory; maybe you want to remind yourself of last season's run-in?

It must be exhausting to be so negative so often; I actually feel sorry for you if you've got nothing better to concern yourself with.

Oh, and we weren't in the play-offs in 2003.

Wtf? We were immense in the run-in last season. And any idea that losing to Derby on penalties under Burley has any bearing on our chances today is just nuts. There is no basis at all in fact for the OP's statement.

We were chasing until almost the very end of that run. Totally different kind of pressure.

Wrong again. 2007.

Fair enough. The disappointments have all become a big blur.

Doesnt detract from the point though. I also remember that season when we had the chance to go top 2 for the first time, at home against Derby, and flattered to decevie for the first half hour then before losing too.

It's just a nonsense whinge from a depressive. There is absolutely nothing in Southampton's history to indicate we will blow the run in. We might not get promoted - but this is not because of some absurd idea that the club doesn't "do" big occasions - for which there is not a single shred of evidence. Please lock.

There is absolutely nothing in Southampton's history to indicate we will blow the run in.

1948/49

But even then, what bearing does a season 63 years ago have on the Southampton team of today? Most of the current team's fathers weren't alive then, let alone the players. It is completely irrelevant, as is the playoff failure in 2006/07.

Edited by Matthew Le God

We have some pessimistic fans but you top them all. Let's hope none of the players read this bed-wetting drivel. I also hope that no supporter like you is at Peterborough on Tuesday. The players need support, not tension that they're going to choke, because then they actually will. Stop actually wanting us to fail. It was the same with you last season and the same again.

TOGETHER AS ONE (not that you'd believe it reading this forum).

Not gonna get drawn into the usual stuff, however I just want to ask alpine about one thing:

Nigel Adkins has a degree in Business & Finance, physiotherapy credentials, a graduation certificate from the LMA Applied Management course, his UEFA Pro Coaching badge, and finally, a Psychology Diploma.

He is also relentlessly positive. You may have noticed. This is because he believes, from all his experience and the qualifications above, that this is the right way to go and that garners a winning culture and psychology.

We currently sit in 2nd place, 3 points clear of third, with 3 games to play each, thank in no small part to the manager and his approach.

That is why so many people are positive and optimistic. Because he has shown that it works.

So, whilst you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, given the respective knowledge, experience and achievements of yourself and Nigel Adkins, most people, thankfully, choose to follow his approach, not yours.

Can you not see this?

Fair enough. The disappointments have all become a big blur.

Doesnt detract from the point though. I also remember that season when we had the chance to go top 2 for the first time, at home against Derby, and flattered to decevie for the first half hour then before losing too.

I think this is just another reactionary thread that will either go to about ten pages should we draw or lose at Peterborough or have a few 'shows what you know' posts and disappear if we win.

I can't see much to suggest we don't play well on the 'big occasions'. We played very well last night but Reading took their three chances. I think we all shouldn't let THAT detract from it. This has been a good season and it is not over yet by any means at all.

Not gonna get drawn into the usual stuff, however I just want to ask alpine about one thing:

Nigel Adkins has a degree in Business & Finance, physiotherapy credentials, a graduation certificate from the LMA Applied Management course, his UEFA Pro Coaching badge, and finally, a Psychology Diploma.

He is also relentlessly positive. You may have noticed. This is because he believes, from all his experience and the qualifications above, that this is the right way to go and that garners a winning culture and psychology.

We currently sit in 2nd place, 3 points clear of third, with 3 games to play each, thank in no small part to the manager and his approach.

That is why so many people are positive and optimistic. Because he has shown that it works.

So, whilst you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, given the respective knowledge, experience and achievements of yourself and Nigel Adkins, most people, thankfully, choose to follow his approach, not yours.

Can you not see this?

Roberto Martinez, another good example of the power of positive thinking. We all have a choice, accentuate the positives or focus on the negatives. Seems obvious to me which is more likely to encourage success but evidently some think otherwise.

I've just sussed it. You don't support any team really. You just make strange posts on all the forums to invoke a reaction.

Sorry, I would like to know the cause for optimism that some of you have about Tuesdays game. Seriously. Maybe some of that optimism would rub off on me and other doomsayers if you explain.

From my current perspective, Southampton Football Club choke big occasions. Always have. 1976 we were massive underdogs, JPT 2010 was just a nice memorable day out with little meaning - it didnt change anything.

The big games, the big crunch points, we always blow - as we did yesterday; a win wouldnt have secured the title, but would have made auto promotion nailled-on.

We've blown what may turn out to be the last 2 local derbies and therefore last 2 chances of revenge for that 4-1 in 2005.

FFS.....This guy Alpine really is an incessant doom monger and never ever gives it a rest....day after day after day....

God what a life and soul this man is...feel sorry for his close aquaintances..they must listen to his ramblings

on a daily basis.....

He craves failure to feed his addiction to gloom and despondancy....revels in it...he must do....

Careful everyone he will will drag us in to his world of misery..

Quelle surprise, another "look at me" post from our obese Austrian doomsayer.

Go and buy another pack of biscuits if that puts a smile on your face, and stop bringing everyone else down with your predictable, never-ending negagtivity and tedium

Edited by The Kraken

Another negative thread from the idiot.

Every village has one, as does every forum it would appear.

When we go up he'll instantly switch to stressing about how the current squad isn't good enough for the prem (just like it wasn't good enough for the champ) he won't allow himself any time to enjoy our success he'll just be expecting it to go horribly wrong sometime soon...

We have some pessimistic fans but you top them all. Let's hope none of the players read this bed-wetting drivel. I also hope that no supporter like you is at Peterborough on Tuesday. The players need support, not tension that they're going to choke, because then they actually will.

TOGETHER AS ONE (not that you'd believe it reading this forum).

Absolutely right !

wish you would choke on your daily big mac blubber belly then we won't have to read your insane drivel.