Loads of new cuts

Batman

I was shocked to hear people abroad recieve winter fuel payments. The shouuld stop it before 2015/2016

I see a cypriot ex pat is aleady moaning. having a pop at osbourne that he has got a clue about the cost of air conditioning in the summer months

The expat need to get a life as the payment is called winter fuel allowance. I bet they have their own swimming in their back garden

I was shocked to hear people abroad recieve winter fuel payments. The shouuld stop it before 2015/2016

I see a cypriot ex pat is aleady moaning. having a pop at osbourne that he has got a clue about the cost of air conditioning in the summer months

The expat need to get a life as the payment is called winter fuel allowance. I bet they have their own swimming in their back garden

The poor dear.

I don't get the international aid thing either, we are borrowing billions each year just to send some abroad. Doesn't make any sense.

I'm not against the cuts in principle as long as there is some stimulation for growth and the rich are hit hardest. Totally agree with stopping the automatic pay rises, it's time public sector workers to accept what everyone else has. Their pensions should also be brought in line with the private sector as well.

I don't get the international aid thing either, we are borrowing billions each year just to send some abroad. Doesn't make any sense.

I'm not against the cuts in principle as long as there is some stimulation for growth and the rich are hit hardest. Totally agree with stopping the automatic pay rises, it's time public sector workers to accept what everyone else has. Their pensions should also be brought in line with the private sector as well.

Or the private sector brought into line with the public one?

Or the private sector brought into line with the public one?

Would be great if they could but to earn an equivalent of some doctors pensions someone in the private sector would have to accumulate a pension pot of more than £3.5 million.

The whole system is completely f*cked.

I know it is stopping in 2015 but £200m to India is just mental. They are a booming economy with a space and nuclear program ffs!

Seriously??!?!?!? Don't they all travel around with people hanging off of buses and trains as there is so little room for passengers! I dread to think what their space program looks like or is trying to achieve!

I know it is stopping in 2015 but £200m to India is just mental. They are a booming economy with a space and nuclear program ffs!

Seriously??!?!?!? Don't they all travel around with people hanging off of buses and trains as there is so little room for passengers! I dread to think what their space program looks like or is trying to achieve!

It's ok, here's a picture of their astronauts getting the train to their test rocket (seen in the background on the left)

p38x.jpg

Should teachers in the public sector be paid the same as those in the private sector as well then?

Their pensions should also be brought in line with the private sector as well.

Don't lump all public sector pensions into one bucket - Local Government schemes are self-funded, civil service, many NHS, and armed forces ones are funded by the state.

Don't lump all public sector pensions into one bucket - Local Government schemes are self-funded, civil service, many NHS, and armed forces ones are funded by the state.

That's great if they are self-funded, maybe all private sector workers should be eligible to join the same schemes then?

Aintforever do your research about the public sector re pensions , focus on other issues by all means . The ruling against Dumfries and Galloway has more serious consequences for the public sector . Two separate terms and conditions means female staff who had better terms and conditions can now claim various comparisons with former manual workers and vice versa . One of the most ridiculous court rulings ever . It will cost million and councils will now have to make staff redundant because of the millions that will be paid out in compensation . This is all led by the unions .

Also I'm involved with a case where the gmb and unison are loggerheads re the use of council vehicles to get from home to work . Gmb state the men should continue to use council vehicles as it is custom and practice but ignore the fact the biggest percentage of the work force are females . Bloody unions or should I say gmb

As a teacher/lecturer how can my salary be brought into line with the private sector and as my pension scheme is self funded it would be more apt if private pensions were run more like my scheme is and not the other way around?

As a teacher/lecturer how can my salary be brought into line with the private sector and as my pension scheme is self funded it would be more apt if private pensions were run more like my scheme is and not the other way around?

Enjoy your 6 week holiday must be at least 8 weeks since half term.

That's great if they are self-funded, maybe all private sector workers should be eligible to join the same schemes then?

Or the people (IE the unions) that keep banging on that they are "self funded" could take them over. Who would you want in charge of your "self funded" pension, a wicked uncaring Tory party hell bent on stealing it, or a union whose sole purpose is to protect its members?

I've no doubt that governments of both colours would.love to hand over the liabilities of these "self funded" pensions to the unions , in fact id wager that they would pay the unions millions to do so.

Everyones a winner, the unions protect their members final salary pensions, the members keep their final salary pensions and the tax payer doesn't think they are funding them anymore, so can't be misled by the wicked Tory press.

The Tories have done such a great job with their private sector/public sector rhetoric, they can basically propose whatever they like safe in the knowledge that one group of workers will relish in the discomfort of the others, regardless of the facts that a) each sector *needs* the other to exist and b) it'll be your turn next.

Surely what we should actually be focusing on, is that on the same day the latest swathe of cuts is announced, which will affect millions and save a total of 11billion, the Tories quietly announce that the budget of HS2 has increased by 10billion. So millions of people's lives will be made harder, and any benefit is instantly wiped out in the name of getting you to Birmingham 20 minutes faster. And this is purely the increase to the budget. And before a single metre of track has been laid. But hey, forget about that, let's ***** and moan because someone else gets a better pension. Because thats what's important.

The Tories have done such a great job with their private sector/public sector rhetoric, they can basically propose whatever they like safe in the knowledge that one group of workers will relish in the discomfort of the others, regardless of the facts that a) each sector *needs* the other to exist and b) it'll be your turn next.

Surely what we should actually be focusing on, is that on the same day the latest swathe of cuts is announced, which will affect millions and save a total of 11billion, the Tories quietly announce that the budget of HS2 has increased by 10billion. So millions of people's lives will be made harder, and any benefit is instantly wiped out in the name of getting you to Birmingham 20 minutes faster. And this is purely the increase to the budget. And before a single metre of track has been laid. But hey, forget about that, let's ***** and moan because someone else gets a better pension. Because thats what's important.

Amazing that the politics of envy works so well, isn't it?

Shame no-one really follows the threads. Didn't know about the HS2 budget increase, but I'm entirely unsurprised.

Winter fuel payments going to ex-pats is the sort of anomaly that is created when you have a very simple bar for qualification; the same thing is happening in reverse with Child Benefit. If you don't have proper tests, then you will always have them. If you do have proper tests, the testing regime could end up costing more than the anomalies you're looking to avoid.

What really irks me is that cuts are not inevitable, yet people think that they are. They're ultimately a sign of bad management over successive governments.

I thought investing in infrastructure projects was a good thing?

Or the people (IE the unions) that keep banging on that they are "self funded" could take them over. Who would you want in charge of your "self funded" pension, a wicked uncaring Tory party hell bent on stealing it, or a union whose sole purpose is to protect its members?

I've no doubt that governments of both colours would.love to hand over the liabilities of these "self funded" pensions to the unions , in fact id wager that they would pay the unions millions to do so.

Everyones a winner, the unions protect their members final salary pensions, the members keep their final salary pensions and the tax payer doesn't think they are funding them anymore, so can't be misled by the wicked Tory press.

The LGPS is NOT managed by the Government, it follows rules set out by Parliament, but is administered by regional groups of Local Councils.

http://www.lgps.org.uk/lge/core/page.do?pageId=100438

You mean the half term breaks that are taken up with report writing, teaching preparation, training, classroom preparation? After working generally a 10 hour day and then doing further preparation in the evening and at weekends? Not to mention parents' evenings, case conferences and running after school clubs.

And then probably using half the 6 week summer break to do even more of the above? Yeah it's an easy life, isn't it.

Yep, that one may work on the unaware but coming from a family full of teachers (5 current), having been a teacher myself and now running a business, it doesn't work on me. You get a lot of holiday, it is considered a perk of the job, I'm not complaining, just highlighting that you can't compare one thing that is different from the private sector and skip over another that is a perk.

Yep, that one may work on the unaware but coming from a family full of teachers (5 current), having been a teacher myself and now running a business, it doesn't work on me. You get a lot of holiday, it is considered a perk of the job, I'm not complaining, just highlighting that you can't compare one thing that is different from the private sector and skip over another that is a perk.

You mean teachers in private schools don't get 6 weeks' summer holiday? I thought private school holidays were more generous than state ones.

I get really fed up with this sort of envy. If you like their holidays, become a teacher. If you don't like the idea of trying to teach pain in the backside kids with one hand tied behind your back then don't. I couldn't do it, and if they get good holidays, then fair play to them.

Edited by Wade Garrett

That's not what I meant at all.

Though, in Japan they don't get all the hols, they still have to go to work each day even with no kids. As we both know, after a bit of experience, lesson prep and all those other things are done in a day or so. After that the teacher just sit in their classrooms, reading, doing yoga all sorts. It is really strange but culturally, they just can take all those long holidays, they'd feel guilty.

I get really fed up with this sort of envy. If you like their holidays, become a teacher. If you don't like the idea of trying to teach pain in the backside kids with one hand tied behind your back then don't. I couldn't do it, and if they get good holidays, then fair play to them.

I think your anger is making you a bit dumb here Wade. Firstly, as I said, I was a teacher... There is no envy.

The quote you posted was in response to VFTT saying his salary should be brought into line with the private sector. I took this as general jobs in the private sector not just teaching (as I took when I left). I was simply jokingly highlighting that the holidays are a massive perk and help to bring the salary inline with other private sector jobs requiring similar skills qualifications.

Edited by Tokyo-Saint
Iphone loves a triple L

That's not what I meant at all.

Though, in Japan they don't get all the hols, they still have to go to work each day even with no kids. As we both know, after a bit of experience, lesson prep and all those other things are done in a day or so. After that the teacher just sit in their classrooms, reading, doing yoga all sorts. It is really strange but culturally, they just can take all those long holidays, they'd feel guilty.

I agree with Tokyo, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

That is an excellent idea and one that would kill off both sides of the argument. Scrap all half terms, Xmas and summer breaks for the teachers in exhange for a standard annual leave allowance, some of which can be taken in the summer holidays and some during the year. This is a very common practise in many industries where staff agree to not take leave in certain peak times.

This would give teachers weeks on end throughout the summer with a completely empty classroom with no distractions (unlike the home/beach) to do their "report writing, teaching preparation, training, classroom preparation" as BTF says... It would be far more efficient for the school system and you could expect to see the quality of teaching improve as all material has been compiled in a learning environment, not at the pub (I know two teachers who do this LOL), not sat on the sofa drinking wine 1/2 watching TV, not in bed hungover FFS!

Surely this would have huge benefit to the teachers, all that down time in the classrooms to do their preperations, not only that, it would gain respect from the public who are getting very tired of the victim mentality of the teaching trade.

We are all in this together.

The LGPS is NOT managed by the Government, it follows rules set out by Parliament, but is administered by regional groups of Local Councils.

http://www.lgps.org.uk/lge/core/page.do?pageId=100438

But who funds it. You said it was self funded. My lad has a private pension, he pays in . I have a work one, i pay in and my company pay in. My wife has a NHS one, she pays in and the taxpayer pays in. I would be really interested in who pays into the local government self funded ones.

I agree with Tokyo, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

That is an excellent idea and one that would kill off both sides of the argument. Scrap all half terms, Xmas and summer breaks for the teachers in exhange for a standard annual leave allowance, some of which can be taken in the summer holidays and some during the year. This is a very common practise in many industries where staff agree to not take leave in certain peak times.

This would give teachers weeks on end throughout the summer with a completely empty classroom with no distractions (unlike the home/beach) to do their "report writing, teaching preparation, training, classroom preparation" as BTF says... It would be far more efficient for the school system and you could expect to see the quality of teaching improve as all material has been compiled in a learning environment, not at the pub (I know two teachers who do this LOL), not sat on the sofa drinking wine 1/2 watching TV, not in bed hungover FFS!

Surely this would have huge benefit to the teachers, all that down time in the classrooms to do their preperations, not only that, it would gain respect from the public who are getting very tired of the victim mentality of the teaching trade.

We are all in this together.

Maybe they could do their training during the "holidays" rather than during term time too? Inset days: yet another rubbish Tory idea.

Not self funded, thats not exactly true, funded by the tax payer. and in even further irony reliant like all pensions on some banker in London.

Not actually 'cuts' though, are they?

What would you call it when you have at least 10% taken from your budget for each of 5 successive years ?

Mind you, I loved the quote from GO about Pickles the Hutt being the 'model of lean Government'.

Edited by badgerx16