Venting my Spleen

Channon's Sideburns

Right, time to put my viewpoint on the 'kit' situation.

But it's about more than the kit, so that's why I've started this thread. It's about what we 'accept' in life and what we don't.

The reason for this, is that online, on FB and Twitter since the new kit was launched, I've been considered a 'bedwetter' - rather interesting that term, seeing as most of those accusing me of such, appear to have just left nappies themselves...or are still in them, I can't tell.

Thing is, I don't blame them - all they've known is the desired 'Premier League Dream'....

There's a song by the Manics called 'If you tolerate this' - now that's about the Spanish Civil War. No doubt me referring to that song already has some of the youngsters screaming 'bedwetter'...still I'm only 38....the last time I wet the bed was after a particularly good night trying to drink enough Newcastle Brown Ale to get a Blue Star badge (I kid you not - no f'n WKD in those days..)..

Anyway.

I hate what this new kit stands for.

I 'tolerated' last season's 'ironic' play on 'red & white'.

I won't tolerate this blatant change of our club's profile by stealth - 'oh let's be clever, get them liking the all red by having an away white kit we never wear' routine - I can see right through it.

This new kit is a cop out.

And then it happens - all day today people have been queuing up like sheep to hand over £50 and, in turn, give their backing to a rebrand by stealth of OUR CLUB. Pics all over the club's twitter feed of 'happy people loving the new kit'...

I didn't tolerate Rupert Lowe coming back - I made my voice known, and also marched alongside people like Mary Corbett.

Yes, I'm an 'old school fan' - Saints have always been to me - red and white stripes. And I'm now meant to apologise for that????

A lot of the 'pro-all red' camp say 'support the club, not the shirt' - but that is BOLL0CKS.

It's a COP OUT.

You wouldn't have tolerated it under Lowe if he'd tried this stunt.

There's no point reaching the Premier League again - if you sell your club's soul.

Think of that as you hand over £50.

It's a flaming kit for christ sake. They wear it for 90mins every week. If people pay £50 it's up to them, it's not compulsory to buy it.

What on earth is the big deal? I don't get it. People getting worked up over the colour of a top doesn't quite register to me.

Sod it then, let's go back to L1, maybe L2, but at least we'll have our stripes.

Thing is, it's all about opinions! I have supported club since 74 and pretty much it is the club and players I support! FWIW, love the new kit, never a big fan of stripes, but here's the thing, we both still support saints! That won't ever change!

True thorpie. Stripes or no stripes, we all still share one thing in common - we support this club.

It's a flaming kit for christ sake. They wear it for 90mins every week. If people pay £50 it's up to them, it's not compulsory to buy it.

What on earth is the big deal? I don't get it. People getting worked up over the colour of a top doesn't quite register to me.

Sod it then, let's go back to L1, maybe L2, but at least we'll have our stripes.

So what were your thoughts when Cardiff changed their colours then? This is no different. But if you're comfortable with the change, that's fine.

I don't agree with it.

So what were your thoughts when Cardiff changed their colours then? This is no different. But if you're comfortable with the change, that's fine.

I don't agree with it.

I didn't really care, didn't really register to me as I don't support Cardiff.

Have we changed our colours? No, not really.

As others said, it´s opinions but understandable that we can feel different.

For me at this moment, I like the home kit, (will probably learn to love it). I already love the away kit and I understand why the club is making this transition from the stripes which I dont will come back in it´s old style.

But most important for me, I support the club, (the badge, players etc). That always trumph any other opinion of mine.

As others said, it´s opinions but understandable that we can feel different.

For me at this moment, I like the home kit, (will probably learn to love it). I already love the away kit and I understand why the club is making this transition from the stripes which I dont will come back in it´s old style.

But most important for me, I support the club, (the badge, players etc). That always trumph any other opinion of mine.

Why do you understand why they're doing it? There's absolutely no need to have done it whatsoever.

Why do you understand why they're doing it? There's absolutely no need to have done it whatsoever.

I think it´s safe to say it´s about a more global market. But that´s also an opinion of mine, maybe I´m taking things a bit for granted on that one.

Were there not enough kit threads already for you to vent.

Its a kit, in my opinion its so I can easily see the difference in the teams. And the kids seem to like the kit as they looked happy enough in them on the pics in twitter.

At the end of the day, this is the risk with foreign ownership of sorts. We have no say, we can't change what they want to do, they do what they want with our club.

The fact is that they're doing a damn fine job of running the show at the moment, are proving to be ambitious and are investing into the team and infrastructure. It would be slightly different if they weren't doing any of that, but changing everything willy nilly.

This is sometimes the sacrifice you take when you get taken over by foreign ownership. I think the question you all need to ask yourself is.........Would you rather be stuck languishing in L1 or the Championship with no investment, or back in the PL with a real ambition and opportunity to push forward - but with a red kit....?

Pretty simple answer for me. I want my club to be as successful as it can be with owners who share that ambition.

I'm with the OP, I believe this (albeit on a pretty insignificant scale in the grand scheme of things) is indicative of a shift in football culture where 'what customers want' is no longer of much relevence to business decisions. Fans of Southampton football club, (or Manchester Utd, Cardiff City, A.N Other FC) are not the lifeblood of the business any more. Whether we get gates of 30,000 or 3000, in the Premier League it doesn't matter and the same goes for shirts.

Surely, someone in the club must have looked at a range of designs for this kit and realised it wouldn't attract a 100% positive reaction. This means that someone else in the club has essentially said..."yeah, well **** 'em"

But it's about more than the kit, so that's why I've started this thread. It's about what we 'accept' in life and what we don't.

The reason for this, is that online, on FB and Twitter since the new kit was launched, I've been considered a 'bedwetter' - rather interesting that term, seeing as most of those accusing me of such, appear to have just left nappies themselves...or are still in them, I can't tell.

Thing is, I don't blame them - all they've known is the desired 'Premier League Dream'....

There's a song by the Manics called 'If you tolerate this' - now that's about the Spanish Civil War. No doubt me referring to that song already has some of the youngsters screaming 'bedwetter'...still I'm only 38....the last time I wet the bed was after a particularly good night trying to drink enough Newcastle Brown Ale to get a Blue Star badge (I kid you not - no f'n WKD in those days..)..

Anyway.

I won't tolerate this blatant change of our club's profile by stealth - 'oh let's be clever, get them liking the all red by having an away white kit we never wear' routine - I can see right through it.

And then it happens - all day today people have been queuing up like sheep to hand over £50 and, in turn, give their backing to a rebrand by stealth of OUR CLUB. Pics all over the club's twitter feed of 'happy people loving the new kit'...

I didn't tolerate Rupert Lowe coming back - I made my voice known, and also marched alongside people like Mary Corbett.

Yes, I'm an 'old school fan' - Saints have always been to me - red and white stripes. And I'm now meant to apologise for that????

A lot of the 'pro-all red' camp say 'support the club, not the shirt' - but that is BOLL0CKS.

It's a COP OUT.

There's no point reaching the Premier League again - if you sell your club's soul.

You say that you are 38. I am just about to become 64. I have been supporting Saints since the mid 50's and do you know what?....... I really can't get worked up about the kit either pro or anti. I want to see my club compete against the best. I want to enjoy watching them play and be successful. I am a great traditionalist in most things but the kit is not something that I can get upset about. I actually think that it looks good.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm with the OP, I believe this (albeit on a pretty insignificant scale in the grand scheme of things) is indicative of a shift in football culture where 'what customers want' is no longer of much relevence to business decisions. Fans of Southampton football club, (or Manchester Utd, Cardiff City, A.N Other FC) are not the lifeblood of the business any more. Whether we get gates of 30,000 or 3000, in the Premier League it doesn't matter and the same goes for shirts.

Surely, someone in the club must have looked at a range of designs for this kit and realised it wouldn't attract a 100% positive reaction. This means that someone else in the club has essentially said..."yeah, well **** 'em"

this is what I dont get

do you really, honestly believe someone at the club actually chose this design to spite the fans?

dont be ridiculous

if having an all red top again (like the 80s in parts) for this journey. I would still have snapped your hand off in 2009

we never hear from NC (and thank god for that) that much. about 5 times in the last 4 years. I doubt we will this time

when he does talk, the usual lot tend to slate him

Don't like the home shirt, won't buy it, and I'm entitled to that opinion - my support for the team, however, will never falter, ( mind you I wasnt a fan of last year's home shirt either ). The main issues I have with the kit are (1) it's just a generic cop out taken straight from Adidas' 'off the shelf' catalogue, and (2) I don't like the gold logo & badge. As for the away kit, it's not what I expected ( historically I've preferred the yellow & blue kits ), but then again away strips tend to be a bit 'off the wall', and it will probably grow on me.

What I want is a club that is wiling to spend £10 million plus on players and invest heavily in the academy and improve every aspect of the club (except the stripes!). Its a kit, its for one season, time to move on.

As long as the home colour is red (either all red or predominantly so) I don't give a big rats arse if there are stripes in it or not. If it changed to blue then I would get the hump, but since that is not the case - not bothered.

PS I never wear (or buy) replica shirts anyway. I think they look stupid - especially on middle-aged pot bellied blokes wearing shell suit trousers and trainers.

Edited by kpturner

this is what I dont get

do you really, honestly believe someone at the club actually chose this design to spite the fans?

dont be ridiculous

if having an all red top again (like the 80s in parts) for this journey. I would still have snapped your hand off in 2009

we never hear from NC (and thank god for that) that much. about 5 times in the last 4 years. I doubt we will this time

when he does talk, the usual lot tend to slate him

Ok tbf there's probably not any actual spite as such. I just don't think fans really matter that much to clubs as long as we all keep paying our sky sports subs. Kit sales are a tiny proportion of our revenue either way so you'd think that the club could at least give us a shirt that we (well 50% odd of us) wouldn't be embarassed to wear.

Ok tbf there's probably not any actual spite as such. I just don't think fans really matter that much to clubs as long as we all keep paying our sky sports subs. Kit sales are a tiny proportion of our revenue either way so you'd think that the club could at least give us a shirt that we (well 50% odd of us) wouldn't be embarassed to wear.

why would anyone be embarrassed to wear it. it hardly says "i have a small ****' on it. its not bright pink and green or what ever

its a red football shirt. we have done it before and will probably do it again.

I have to be honest, as much as it is only a kit, I won't buy it because of the design but also the price which takes the ****.

I don't identify the kit with saints, it changes every year and is a rip off. While the obvious solution is not to buy one, but while they sell in their thousands, clubs will continue to milk fans for all they can.

On top of that, despite the massive extra income clubs are getting this years, the prices are the same and even more at other clubs.

This season won't buy the shirt and won't go to many games because I don't like the direction things are going. But I think the point of football is that anyone can get involved play, or watch a game. Now though fans are made to feel (financially at least) that they cannot enjoy their passion.

Recently there was protest against ticket prices, I personally think more needs to be done and fans make an active point to try and make a difference.

The 125 kit made sense - it was part of our history.

Hell, even the 1985 kit was all red - but it made sense to recognise the club centenary.

Where's the relevance though of a sudden change to all red?

What's the reason?

Yeah ok, it's 'just a kit' - but what next? Are you going to accept any decision that happens because of the bloody league we're in?

That's my point - acceptance of decisions like this are a slippery slope - then five years down the line you'll be wondering why you didn't speak up.

Hell, even the 1985 kit was all red - but it made sense to recognise the club centenary.

What's the reason?

Yeah ok, it's 'just a kit' - but what next? Are you going to accept any decision that happens because of the bloody league we're in?

but it is, just a kit, though

if the cub renamed the ground, wonga-stadium and made us play in bright blue. that is a world away from having (again) an all red top

What's the reason?

It would be easier for me to answer that if I had any idea why you are so upset about the change in kit layout. It is because stripes is all you've known for the majority of your sporting life? Or is it something else? Because if it is something else and you are using the kit as a vehicle to rant about 'modern football' then you've completely missed the point and you should have boycotted the club or some nonsense like that the moment we got promoted to the Premier League.

Personally I have a preference for stripes as I am familiar with them and that are what I associate with Saints. But it is just a preference and it does not impact how I support the club or my view of it. The welfare of the club is the most important thing. Aesthetics like the kit don't really matter and the fact we've got such an emotive response to the new kit suggests to me that there is nothing else to moan about right now which is absolutely brilliant as far as I am concerned.

I think the shift has already happened and that it did somewhere between 2006-2010 with big tv deals, foreign owners with big big money coming into the game etc.

The thing for us is that we were in the lower leagues and it didn´t affect us until now when were back in Premier League. So this transition from being runned as a family type of club is shifting into a big business company now in front of our eyes and I think a lot of fans maybe aren´t ready for that yet but that in a few years more and more of us will be that.

Whether we like it or not is another question though.

If you don't like the new shirt, don't buy it; it will be the simplest way to register your protest. If the sales showed that the club had made a massive blunder in dropping the stripes, then they would have to take that into consideration when they come to design the next one.

Personally, I couldn't care less either way. All this talk about us not accepting it if Lowe introduced it is rubbish, as the situation with the ownership is totally different and Lowe and the board had to please the paying customers in order to keep our heads above water. Cortese and the Liebherrs can do what they like and generally have done extremely well so far in bringing success to the club that could only have been dreamed about before they came in.

Whenever I feel the urge to wear a Saints shirt, I'll get out the sash shirt, which to my mind is the best Saints shirt I've seen and that didn't have stripes (plural)

I don't agree with it.

There's no middle ground with some people - we haven't changed our colours, we have changed the order those colours go in. Fwiw I hate the kit as well, but I don't for one second believe we've sold the soul of our club.

I also genuinely believe that if sales are poor - and people actually contact the club to say why they haven't purchased - then they will move back to stripes, or at least do something different.

Personally not massively keen on the new kit but more for the fact its not in anyway just "ours". Having a kit template thats also worn by a league 1 club suggests a lack of originality in a way that wearing "the same stripes" as a Sunderland or Stoke just doesn't do. I really don't like the golden badge either seems to me that we should have won something before we go doing something that tacky. But then again I don't buy kits so I guess I won't be bothering anyone ;-) Certainly not going to stop me being there every other week cheering on the team!

why do people who have bought it have to be insulted?

People are like sheep - in general. Look at the queues outside an Apple Store everytime something gets launched. You see it everywhere.

Queuing up outside a Saints shop on a Sunday? That's their right if they want to - would love to hear why they've queued up though. Love the shirt, or just want to be one of the first to buy one??

People are like sheep - in general. Look at the queues outside an Apple Store everytime something gets launched. You see it everywhere.

Queuing up outside a Saints shop on a Sunday? That's their right if they want to - would love to hear why they've queued up though. Love the shirt, or just want to be one of the first to buy one??

Or is it their way to support the club we all love?

OK here we go, my turn to vent my spleen. (I accept opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they are equally important to each and everyone of us)

I have never liked stripes. Yes of course they are us, but I personally have never liked them. Hell we won our biggest trophy NOT wearing them.

I have bought far more striped shirts than I should have through the years and I have worn them proudly to games home and away, and hell, even to Test Matches in Aus & Pakistan. But I never LIKED them.

I never liked them because they look stupid anywhere EXCEPT a sporting venue. In fact I never wore a striped shirt EXCEPT at a sporting venue.

But over the years I wore plain away shirts down the pub or shopping, they never (to me) seemed naff, although I did HATE the sponsor logo.

Then came the Sash Shirt. I have worn that EVERYWHERE. I wear it to play golf, I wore it on TV with some of the biggest names when working at golf. I wore it on holiday, down the pub. I STILL wear it. It is a bloody great shirt, hell even Turk's favourite Ralph Lauren copied it (sort of).

Last season for much the same reasons I bought the white Away shirt. I have worn that everywhere (EXCEPT at matches - we lost the 4 times I wore it n match days so I was banned from wearing it to the pub & Norwich away). Christ I even blagged an Upgrade while wearing it on a flight home.

It looked OK with jeans, as in fact did the home shirt of last year when Mrs DP wears hers.

So I saw we were getting another RED shirt I wasn't THAT "angry", personally I would have preferred at least some "nod" towards stripes like we had last year (but understand the Business world & templates well enough to know that was a pipe dream).

But and here is the rub. Even though it is a plain shirt, IT STILL LOOKS NAFF.

Eric said it best when he asked why we had "ST's" wrapped around the arms. They are just NAFF. And then the gold lettering.

OK so I could understand that IF (as alleged) we were going to be carrying a globally recognised CLASSY brand such as Lotus, but with a Gold aap3 smiley? Really? I cannot see that enhancing THEIR brand image. Are THEY changing ALL their Letterheads, logos, business cards etc to Gold? Not from what I have seen on Twitter so far.

So we are left with this concoction that reflects SOMETHING WENT WRONG with the big plan. IF they can screw something up (in my mind at least) before the season has even STARTED, then that does NOT fill me with confidence about other big decisions that people will be making.

So, I actually wanted a plain shirt. But what we have been given is a crock of sh1t. OF COURSE kids love it. They don't understand our history, to them MLT is something their Dad talks about, they won't understand you lot going on about Keegan and Xerox either, so of course THE KIDS wanted the kit today.

To me it is a disaster that fails on every level.

Christ, I'd rather wear an old stripes shirt out clubbing next weekend than pay for this piece of naffness.

Yet again Phil you hit it bang on the head.

For me, it's about the acceptance of something that does look naff, and is exactly the same design as Bristol City's. Surely if we're in the 'dreamworld' of the Premier League, we'd expect something better?

I look forward to seeing Newcastle's supporters accepting a whole black home shirt. Oh yeah, even Mike Ashley wouldn't try that one..

OK here we go, my turn to vent my spleen. (I accept opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they are equally important to each and everyone of us)

I have never liked stripes. Yes of course they are us, but I personally have never liked them. Hell we won our biggest trophy NOT wearing them.

I have bought far more striped shirts than I should have through the years and I have worn them proudly to games home and away, and hell, even to Test Matches in Aus & Pakistan. But I never LIKED them.

I never liked them because they look stupid anywhere EXCEPT a sporting venue. In fact I never wore a striped shirt EXCEPT at a sporting venue.

But over the years I wore plain away shirts down the pub or shopping, they never (to me) seemed naff, although I did HATE the sponsor logo.

Then came the Sash Shirt. I have worn that EVERYWHERE. I wear it to play golf, I wore it on TV with some of the biggest names when working at golf. I wore it on holiday, down the pub. I STILL wear it. It is a bloody great shirt, hell even Turk's favourite Ralph Lauren copied it (sort of).

Last season for much the same reasons I bought the white Away shirt. I have worn that everywhere (EXCEPT at matches - we lost the 4 times I wore it n match days so I was banned from wearing it to the pub & Norwich away). Christ I even blagged an Upgrade while wearing it on a flight home.

It looked OK with jeans, as in fact did the home shirt of last year when Mrs DP wears hers.

So I saw we were getting another RED shirt I wasn't THAT "angry", personally I would have preferred at least some "nod" towards stripes like we had last year (but understand the Business world & templates well enough to know that was a pipe dream).

But and here is the rub. Even though it is a plain shirt, IT STILL LOOKS NAFF.

Eric said it best when he asked why we had "ST's" wrapped around the arms. They are just NAFF. And then the gold lettering.

OK so I could understand that IF (as alleged) we were going to be carrying a globally recognised CLASSY brand such as Lotus, but with a Gold aap3 smiley? Really? I cannot see that enhancing THEIR brand image. Are THEY changing ALL their Letterheads, logos, business cards etc to Gold? Not from what I have seen on Twitter so far.

So we are left with this concoction that reflects SOMETHING WENT WRONG with the big plan. IF they can screw something up (in my mind at least) before the season has even STARTED, then that does NOT fill me with confidence about other big decisions that people will be making.

So, I actually wanted a plain shirt. But what we have been given is a crock of sh1t. OF COURSE kids love it. They don't understand our history, to them MLT is something their Dad talks about, they won't understand you lot going on about Keegan and Xerox either, so of course THE KIDS wanted the kit today.

To me it is a disaster that fails on every level.

Christ, I'd rather wear an old stripes shirt out clubbing next weekend than pay for this piece of naffness.

Agree with this.

Anyway.

It's a COP OUT.

When you were a teenager, could you ever have imagined that you would be acting like a petulant and ignorant child in public at the age of 38?

Thing is, it's all about opinions! I have supported club since 74 and pretty much it is the club and players I support! FWIW, love the new kit, never a big fan of stripes, but here's the thing, we both still support saints! That won't ever change!

Totally agree.

Think it is arrogant to brand those who disagree with OP's opinion as 'sheep'.

If they want the kit their team, their idols will be wearing they are perfectly entitled to buy it without insult.

I've never been one to long for the past but of course if we were merged with skates, played in blue and were called Solent fa I would be ****ed off.

But I have had great times seeing saints in other than traditional red and white - 1976, 1980-85, 2010.

It is a red and white kit... Relax!!