Saints bid for Krychowiak of Sevilla?

Norm

His release clause is at around £22m. Any club that wants him will probably be expected to pay the release.

Even if we did activate his release clause, it would make little sense from a footballing perspective for the player to agree to come here.

We should pay it. Replace Morgan with a real top quality player.

Maybe we can't afford it? We will need to "replace" Toby despite not having received a transfer fee. Have already spent the Clyne money, committed £10m on Bertrand, numerous fees still being paid from last summer and the TG costs, plus paying off Osvaldo.

Perhaps the Morgan cash will need to replace him and Toby?

Besides, that player likely to only be bothered by a Champions League move, seeing as his team have that secured this season.

Maybe we can't afford it? We will need to "replace" Toby despite not having received a transfer fee. Have already spent the Clyne money, committed £10m on Bertrand, numerous fees still being paid from last summer and the TG costs, plus paying off Osvaldo.

Besides, that player likely to only be bothered by a Champions League move, seeing as his team have that secured this season.

Surely the Lovren money from last season was earmarked/ringfenced for a new CB (Gardos would have only taken a small bite out of that)?

Surely the Lovren money from last season was earmarked/ringfenced for a new CB (Gardos would have only taken a small bite out of that)?

Possibly, who knows? Just easy for people to talk about chucking €22m to a club as if it is nothing, when early business and interviews from Reed and Krueger have hinted at a lot less spend than last summer.

Perhaps the Morgan cash will need to replace him and Toby?

We've brought in the quantity to strengthen the squad. Now it's time to buy two quality players.

If you believe you have strong scouting and recruitment, there is no need to pay huge fees for players. I have no doubt that the £27m+ we get for Schneiderlin will be reinvested in the club, but that may be across a few players in different positions and / or in infrastructure. Of course we will need to invest in a quality replacement as we need to find someone as effective as Schneiderlin (or make the team as effective) but the reason the top clubs pay the premiums is that they can't afford to develop players via playing time and we are a club who can.

Given that Jay Rod is back and we signed Juanmi we are already stronger in the final third, together with Pelle, Tadic, Mane, and Long all settled at the club. I would expect us to be a better force in the final third this season. That relieves some pressure on the back four and the defensive midfield positions, where it will be a tough ask to be as good given the turnover of personnel. I think the team will evolve slightly in that respect.

Yes but Koeman joined the club in a summer when we had to pay £27m in transfer fees for players already at the club (Cortese back loaded the payment structures for them). So effectively we're even.

what do you mean by back loaded payment structures?

But I make it 110 in and 80 out since RK joined.Thats 30m up.

If only it was as simple as that. You've got wages to take into account, signing on fee's, and I imagine we've used some of it towards the facilities as well. So, we're probably level - or close to it. We haven't got this bottomless pit because of last summer, we reinvested pretty much all of that.

If only it was as simple as that. You've got wages to take into account, signing on fee's, and I imagine we've used some of it towards the facilities as well. So, we're probably level - or close to it. We haven't got this bottomless pit because of last summer, we reinvested pretty much all of that.

level in what? just transfers?

what about the ridiculous amount of TV money?

Yes but Koeman joined the club in a summer when we had to pay £27m in transfer fees for players already at the club (Cortese back loaded the payment structures for them). So effectively we're even.

Not sure where you got this from but if so, it would have meant less money spent in previous summers and a surplus carried over (to the extent there's a transfer kitty)..

level in what? just transfers?

what about the ridiculous amount of TV money?

Which is staggered, not just in one hit.

I think what was alluded to above is that the transfers we've made in recent years, such as Lovren, Wanyama, Osvaldo, Gaston - they were all structured based, so we still had to pay off a lot of those deals as well. I'm sure I read that we had to send a fair bit of money Lyons way after Lovren went, not just from remaining fee's, but also a sell on%.

what do you mean by back loaded payment structures?

Last summer we owed £27m in transfer fees for players already at the club (the likes of Lovren, Wanyama, Osvaldo etc.). It's quite common to stagger transfer fees over a number of years of course, but it just so happened that the way Cortese had managed the finances is that last summer we owed £27m in fees to other clubs. We had to account for that in our spending last summer.

Of course, even if we are break even it doesn't stop us spending as spreading fees over a few years means we can still spend this year (though not to the degree I others think we can), but when people talk about profits from transfer activity from last summer they have to consider that £30m hole we had to fill as well.

and for those that don't get it this is exactly why we will not be a top 6 club on a regular, if at all, basis!

No bottomless pit, club run as a business self supporting itself which is why we will always have to sell to bring in any really high quality established players who at best just replace the quality we have had to let go cos United, Arsenal, Liverpool and bloody Spurs come calling !

Last summer we owed £27m in transfer fees for players already at the club (the likes of Lovren, Wanyama, Osvaldo etc.). It's quite common to stagger transfer fees over a number of years of course, but it just so happened that the way Cortese had managed the finances is that last summer we owed £27m in fees to other clubs. We had to account for that in our spending last summer.

Of course, even if we are break even it doesn't stop us spending as spreading fees over a few years means we can still spend this year (though not to the degree I others think we can), but when people talk about profits from transfer activity from last summer they have to consider that £30m hole we had to fill as well.

but if we staggered our payments, on the face of it, does that not mean we paid little up front...?

anyway, just hope we get quality CB and a quality CM. Alderweired was quality, as is morgan. Almost impossible to replace them for a club like ours

Edited by Batman

Serious question. Does anyone know how the transfer money is paid? A whopping cheque straight away or phased payments over a period of time?

Depends really on the club, but in most cases you do see structured deals whereby it staggered over a few seasons, and added with goal scoring/international and appearance clauses before it hits a certain fee. I imagine only the likes of City, Utd, Madrid etc will buy outright straight up.

So that's why when you see we purchased Osvaldo for £14m (or whatever it was). We probably only paid about £4m down payment when we bought him.

Depends really on the club, but in most cases you do see structured deals whereby it staggered over a few seasons, and added with goal scoring/international and appearance clauses before it hits a certain fee. I imagine only the likes of City, Utd, Madrid etc will buy outright straight up.

I am sure I read somewhere (may have been here) that English football works on something 50% of the fee up front, rest over the course of the players contract etc. with negotiated add-ons.

Example, there is no way would have paid the quoted price for Osvaldo IMO

And it also means that the TV money we receive each summer isn't swallowed in one go when we buy a player but can be set aside to cover those staggered payments. Anyway, neither you or I is informed enough on the subject, so best leave it at that.

Edited by shurlock

And do we get TV money in one hit or is that phased over the season?

It's phased over the period of the contract, isn't it?

So this £4.5b deal (or whatever it is) will be phased to all clubs over the length of the contract, until it's renegotiated again.

Just imagine if you gave West Ham all that money in one hit, Jack Sullivan would have an orgasm.

And it also means that the TV money we receive each summer isn't swallowed in one go when we buy a player but can be set aside to cover those staggered payments. Anyway, neither you or I is informed enough on the subject, so best leave it at that.

Well I know the £27m figure is true as the club publicly acknowledged it twice last year.

But in terms of how Saints generally do things now, I obviously don't know.

I am sure I read somewhere (may have been here) that English football works on something 50% of the fee up front, rest over the course of the players contract etc. with negotiated add-ons.

Example, there is no way would have paid the quoted price for Osvaldo IMO

In England it used to be 50% up front, remainder by end of first year (not including add on obviously), whilst players signed from abroad was spread across the period of the contract. Perhaps that has changed, or perhaps I am mistaken.

Surely going to go in with a better offer for Krychowiak once Morgan moves on, must have been our top target for the postiion hence the first bid back in June.

But like then said in the March video they move on to there second choice target but with money not being a problem when Morgan leaves I can see us going back in for this one as he fits the same profile.

But I make it 110 in and 80 out since RK joined.Thats 30m up.

Yes because money received for transfers just goes into its own account and is ringfenced for transfers in and is definitely never spent on things like wages, training grounds, the academy etc. Just take what has come in, minus what has been spent on transfers, and we must have that money sitting around doing nothing.

Yes because money received for transfers just goes into its own account and is ringfenced for transfers in and is definitely never spent on things like wages, training grounds, the academy etc. Just take what has come in, minus what has been spent on transfers, and we must have that money sitting around doing nothing.

Not saying I disagree, but you can add 160-odd million in Premier league final position awards over the last 2 seasons to that number.

Monchi also spoke about Grzegorz Krychowiak's situation.

"I think the president and our vice-president have been crystal clear that the players who we consider important, which is the case of Krychowiak, are not going to leave unless their buy-out clause is paid.

"Those clubs that are interested in the player don't have to call Sevilla, they just need to pay the buy-out clause directly."