All things Labour Party

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

your beloved Brexit is sucking money away from the things that need it and will continue to do so for a generation.

No doubt you'll be happy to quantify that remark with the actual figures. And whilst you're at it, perhaps you can gaze into your crystal ball again and give us some other predictions as to our future prospects as a nation.

No doubt you'll be happy to quantify that remark with the actual figures. And whilst you're at it, perhaps you can gaze into your crystal ball again and give us some other predictions as to our future prospects as a nation.

Really, have you been in hibernation. The poor economic outlook, the chancellor’s declared Brexit contingency, the cost of the unnecessary and increasingly incompetent department for Brexit, the increasing need for the NHS to hire bank staff due to the exodus of EU staff, the need to plan for the £40m plus settlement. I know you leavers like to deny Brexit has anything to do with our economic problems but I am sorry whilst project fear may have overstated the problems we are facing and got the timescales wrong Brexit is having a significant and harmful impact on our economy and our nation.

How’s the brexit crystal ball of all will be rosy the other side of Brexit.

Really, have you been in hibernation. The poor economic outlook, the chancellor’s declared Brexit contingency, the cost of the unnecessary and increasingly incompetent department for Brexit, the increasing need for the NHS to hire bank staff due to the exodus of EU staff, the need to plan for the £40m plus settlement. I know you leavers like to deny Brexit has anything to do with our economic problems but I am sorry whilst project fear may have overstated the problems we are facing and got the timescales wrong Brexit is having a significant and harmful impact on our economy and our nation.

How’s the brexit crystal ball of all will be rosy the other side of Brexit.

The "need to plan for the settlement" doesn't make much sense. It's supposed to reflect existing budget commitments so should already be "planned for" and presumably will be paid in phases and not as a lump sum.

The "need to plan for the settlement" doesn't make much sense. It's supposed to reflect existing budget commitments so should already be "planned for" and presumably will be paid in phases and not as a lump sum.

It does when we were told the £350m a week would be available to spend, hence my statement about lasting a generation we also do not know what the final cost will be. Add to this the NI border problems, the setting up of new customs and border controls at ports and airports (more unnecessary cost) and I stand by my view Brexit is sucking money away from where it is really needed.

I thought that this was a thread about Jeremy Corbyn and the death of the Labour Party. There is already a thread about us leaving the EU, so if you wish to discuss that, Moonraker, why not do it there? Or else by all means discuss Corbyn's or the Labour Party's position on the EU here; if you know what that is. I think that they seek guidance on it from singing the Hokey Cokey.

It does when we were told the £350m a week would be available to spend, hence my statement about lasting a generation we also do not know what the final cost will be. Add to this the NI border problems, the setting up of new customs and border controls at ports and airports (more unnecessary cost) and I stand by my view Brexit is sucking money away from where it is really needed.

That's a whole bunch of other points. The "divorce bill" ought to be within existing spending plans, unless there is some absurd agreement to accelerate payment.

I thought that this was a thread about Jeremy Corbyn and the death of the Labour Party. There is already a thread about us leaving the EU, so if you wish to discuss that, Moonraker, why not do it there? Or else by all means discuss Corbyn's or the Labour Party's position on the EU here; if you know what that is. I think that they seek guidance on it from singing the Hokey Cokey.

Wes agree it has gone of track, I think it was the Budget post that altered course, back to Corbyn, don't trust him or his side kick MacDonald but it will not be the death of the Labour party.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think people overrate Jeremy Corbyn.

After all, he is a senior politician, don't question his principles or even his competence, but he is way past his prime and strength and has clearly been found as a consensual figure between the two real factions of the Labour party: Old Labour vs. New Labour 2.0 (currently under a purge to be replaced as Momentum).

While the Blairites have largely been replaced or selectively thrown into the back benches and the purge continues through different Councils and constituencies, the announced conflict between Old/Non-Metro Labour and Momentum, which already had its first flash points in the key Brexit votes in the Commons, has been put on hold in light of Conservative troubles with Brexit and their internal fights being well in the spotlight, but it will happen sooner than later, even if it survives a general election (which I doubt).

Corbyn is like the clueless great-uncle that a bunch of in-laws are trying to spoil to get a share of the inheritance, eagerly waiting for the fool to go. You can tell that by the smug faces of Thornberry, Starmer or Abbott behind him, who all know a lot more about the party than he can ever even think of asking.

Well I think people overrate Jeremy Corbyn.

After all, he is a senior politician, don't question his principles or even his competence, but he is way past his prime and strength and has clearly been found as a consensual figure between the two real factions of the Labour party: Old Labour vs. New Labour 2.0 (currently under a purge to be replaced as Momentum).

While the Blairites have largely been replaced or selectively thrown into the back benches and the purge continues through different Councils and constituencies, the announced conflict between Old/Non-Metro Labour and Momentum, which already had its first flash points in the key Brexit votes in the Commons, has been put on hold in light of Conservative troubles with Brexit and their internal fights being well in the spotlight, but it will happen sooner than later, even if it survives a general election (which I doubt).

Corbyn is like the clueless great-uncle that a bunch of in-laws are trying to spoil to get a share of the inheritance, eagerly waiting for the fool to go. You can tell that by the smug faces of Thornberry, Starmer or Abbott behind him, who all know a lot more about the party than he can ever even think of asking.

Have you seen the thread title? All the experts on here all agreed that Labour would implode and disappear as a political force under Corbyn. Now despite being shown up as clueless they continue to attack his personality, intelliegnce, whatever they can think of despite the party's continued resurgence. Quite ironic really.

Edited by Jonnyboy

• 1 month later...
Tories being best for the armed forces is one of the greatest myths in politics. History tells us the Labour party does more for the armed forces; only the Tories have ever made servicemen and women redundant and repeatedly cut numbers, from the mid 80's the Tories ordered no new classes of complex surface warship, acouple of OPV's was all they managed, the Blair government sorted out the AWD, Amphibious Capability (that is currently under threat from the Tories) and Carriers within 2 years of assuming office. Since 2010 all the Tories have done is cut and cut. No I don’t think Foreign Aid should be cut to fund the Armed Forces, it should not be a choice, we should fund both adequately, your beloved Brexit is sucking money away from the things that need it and will continue to do so for a generation. I will however say that I am not confident in Corbyn’s commitment to the armed forces, and that is the worry.
yeah. alright then

must have missed the order for type 26 class frigates, the commissioning of type 31 class frigates, the order for dreadnought and continuation of the Prince of Wales.

We are still paying for blairs wars. the navy was cut by labour in the boom years so spare me the tears

Edited by Batman

Have you seen the thread title? All the experts on here all agreed that Labour would implode and disappear as a political force under Corbyn. Now despite being shown up as clueless they continue to attack his personality, intelliegnce, whatever they can think of despite the party's continued resurgence. Quite ironic really.

Labour are likely to do well in the forthcoming local elections, which will be made to look so much better because of the party's utterly disastrous showing in the last round of local elections. Labour doing well in London will also owe a huge slice to Sadiq Khan, who's a hate figure among Corbyn cultists.

I see you still cling to the hero worship - you never comment substantively on Labour party policy - and refuse to see any flaws whatsoever, like any good Stalinist apparatchik. For example, doesn't Corbyn's willingness to take large fees from the oppressive, misogynistic, and violently homophobic Iranian regime cause you ANY pause for thought? Not a single word of criticism for that?

Corbyn is the only thing that gives the Tories hope. A moderate would absolutely destroy them at the next election

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Labour are likely to do well in the forthcoming local elections, which will be made to look so much better because of the party's utterly disastrous showing in the last round of local elections. Labour doing well in London will also owe a huge slice to Sadiq Khan, who's a hate figure among Corbyn cultists.

I see you still cling to the hero worship - you never comment substantively on Labour party policy - and refuse to see any flaws whatsoever, like any good Stalinist apparatchik. For example, doesn't Corbyn's willingness to take large fees from the oppressive, misogynistic, and violently homophobic Iranian regime cause you ANY pause for thought? Not a single word of criticism for that?

Why did you vote for Corbyn's Labour at the last election then?

I’m sure Jezza’s announcement today that he’s going to immediately buy 8,000 houses for the homeless once he wins the election , is going to be a vote winner in the Tory/labour marginals.

Self-identification another subject he spoke on is also another vote winner up and down the country. Say you’re a women, and you’re a women he confirmed to Marr. At least I won’t have to queue for a slash at half time. I’ll just go in the ladies because under Corbyn the stewards won’t be able to do a thing about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good on the Haringey tragedy, and good on my point earlier about the Corbyn cult's view on Iran:

In recent weeks, Labour could not make a simple statement in support of those protesting for freedom in Iran. It couldn’t give a straightforward condemnation of a regime that stones people to death for adultery, publicly hangs gay people, and forces women by threat of criminal punishment to wear headscarves in public. The hard left’s virulent anti-Americanism renders it ‘just not that simple’. No, with the influence and influx of ‘Stop The War’ ideologies, Labour has been dragged so deeply down the rabbit hole of anti-imperialist theories that they cannot condemn dictatorial, theocratic, repressive Iran in case it somehow strengthens, or implies support for, democratic, secular and free America. My Labour would see America is a necessary bulwark against Iran, yet the Labour we have sees Iran as a necessary bulwark against America. I cannot in all good conscience tell a single person to vote for that.

I don't think this computes with fanboy and his ilk. If you vote for Labour, apparently in his book you're just as servile a fan of Corbyn as he is. The Cult of the Personality lives.

I wonder if fanboy wouldn't mind actually offering, though, a coherent defence of Corbyn's taking large sums of money from - and remaining silent during the recent democratic protests against - the oppressive regime in Iran? Too much to ask? Probably.

It's not to give to them to keep though is it.

How is it going to work then?

1. Can they live in one as long as they want.

2. Do they have to pay rent.

3. If they default on their rent, are they evicted back onto the streets.

4. Will anti social legislation apply, will people be evicted if they ruin their neighbours quality of life.

5. Will your new house be where you’re living on the streets or where you’re from. If my lad left Poole and started living on the streets of Chelsea, would he get a nice Chelsea residence to live in, or will he be forcibly removed moved back to Dorset.

6. Who can live in your new house. Could I move onto the streets in May, get given my new house & then move the Mrs in with me?

How is it going to work then?

1. Can they live in one as long as they want.

2. Do they have to pay rent.

3. If they default on their rent, are they evicted back onto the streets.

4. Will anti social legislation apply, will people be evicted if they ruin their neighbours quality of life.

5. Will your new house be where you’re living on the streets or where you’re from. If my lad left Poole and started living on the streets of Chelsea, would he get a nice Chelsea residence to live in, or will he be forcibly removed moved back to Dorset.

6. Who can live in your new house. Could I move onto the streets in May, get given my new house & then move the Mrs in with me?

7. Often these sort of schemes require the beneficiary to be making attempts to get sober or to not be abusing drugs. What happens to the homeless that want to keep abusing drugs and alcohol? Do they stay homeless?

Good on the Haringey tragedy, and good on my point earlier about the Corbyn cult's view on Iran:

In recent weeks, Labour could not make a simple statement in support of those protesting for freedom in Iran. It couldn’t give a straightforward condemnation of a regime that stones people to death for adultery, publicly hangs gay people, and forces women by threat of criminal punishment to wear headscarves in public. The hard left’s virulent anti-Americanism renders it ‘just not that simple’. No, with the influence and influx of ‘Stop The War’ ideologies, Labour has been dragged so deeply down the rabbit hole of anti-imperialist theories that they cannot condemn dictatorial, theocratic, repressive Iran in case it somehow strengthens, or implies support for, democratic, secular and free America. My Labour would see America is a necessary bulwark against Iran, yet the Labour we have sees Iran as a necessary bulwark against America. I cannot in all good conscience tell a single person to vote for that.

I don't think this computes with fanboy and his ilk. If you vote for Labour, apparently in his book you're just as servile a fan of Corbyn as he is. The Cult of the Personality lives.

I wonder if fanboy wouldn't mind actually offering, though, a coherent defence of Corbyn's taking large sums of money from - and remaining silent during the recent democratic protests against - the oppressive regime in Iran? Too much to ask? Probably.

You want another Arab Spring or yet another Western intervention (of course you do, you're a Blairite)? Because they worked out so well.

Unfortunately you useful idiots (to the Torys) have cried wolf so many times regarding Corbyn that none of us pay attention anymore. He's the best of a bad bunch and reading about the Iranian protests, just the sort of politician they too seem to be crying out for.

You want another Arab Spring or yet another Western intervention (of course you do, you're a Blairite)? Because they worked out so well.

Unfortunately you useful idiots (to the Torys) have cried wolf so many times regarding Corbyn that none of us pay attention anymore. He's the best of a bad bunch and reading about the Iranian protests, just the sort of politician they too seem to be crying out for.

If you think the Blairites are the useful idiots you are truly deluded. Far and away the worst campaign in living memory, the most unprofessional shambles and a leader totally out of her depth campaigning, yet Jezza was still 50+ seats behind her. A Blairite candidate would have romped home. Alan Johnson would have won an absolute landslide. There’s a reason Corbyn has spent 30 years on the back benches and it’s not been a right wing plot.

His kindly old uncle act is going to wear thin by the time of the next election, his spending commitments are going to be scrutinised like they weren’t last time, he’ll have to come off the fence over Brexit and he’ll be up against a young fresh Tory figure. Imagine him and Cable going up against Ruth Davidson in 2021.

If you think the Blairites are the useful idiots you are truly deluded. Far and away the worst campaign in living memory, the most unprofessional shambles and a leader totally out of her depth campaigning, yet Jezza was still 50+ seats behind her. A Blairite candidate would have romped home. Alan Johnson would have won an absolute landslide. There’s a reason Corbyn has spent 30 years on the back benches and it’s not been a right wing plot.

His kindly old uncle act is going to wear thin by the time of the next election, his spending commitments are going to be scrutinised like they weren’t last time, he’ll have to come off the fence over Brexit and he’ll be up against a young fresh Tory figure. Imagine him and Cable going up against Ruth Davidson in 2021.

Spot on unfortunately. With first past the post you have to win the centre ground to get elected. Blair moved Labour from the left fringes to the slightly pink centre and got Labour into government for 13 years after 18 years of being 'left', 'principled' and unelectable.

A PR system would mean more conviction led politics. You could be a true left or right party who goes into coalitions with others

“Yes,” one of them said, her eyes raised to heaven. “But he keeps going on about how he’s a friend of terrorists, a closet Communist and all that other Daily Mail rubbish. He really should stop reading that drivel. But it’s OK. We don’t argue. We just let him get on with it.”

Sheesh... "closet"? His Chanceller takes little red books to budgets...

Think that’s spot on about the press, they are just becoming an irrelevance now to younger generations and their attempts at smearing Corbyn have just been comical. I don’t even get why people buy ‘news’ that is so obviously biased.

Think that’s spot on about the press, they are just becoming an irrelevance now to younger generations and their attempts at smearing Corbyn have just been comical. I don’t even get why people buy ‘news’ that is so obviously biased.
It's not be bias, it's a matter of record.

You really didn't get the point of that article did you? You've probably just converted one person more to vote Labour with that comment.
I doubt it. Guillable students made their mind up to vote corbyn ages ago based on tuition fees or any number of other financial promises he made that he can't afford. Critical comments on a messageboard will have zero effect but hopefully he will never get into a position where he can do real damage to the country. Sadly, given the unpopularity of the tories it may happen.

I doubt it. Guillable students made their mind up to vote corbyn ages ago based on tuition fees or any number of other financial promises he made that he can't afford. Critical comments on a messageboard will have zero effect but hopefully he will never get into a position where he can do real damage to the country. Sadly, given the unpopularity of the tories it may happen.

Yet it was you and yours who said all the slurs on Trump are what got Trump elected, you can't have it both ways.

Besides you need to keep up with current affairs:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42747342

Seems your gullible students mantra is overstated.

"Labour's share of the vote in 2017 increased in all age groups bar the over 70s"

Damn those gullible under 70 year old people.

Yet it was you and yours who said all the slurs on Trump are what got Trump elected, you can't have it both ways.
I said people were fed up of being called racist or xenophobic or thick for having legitimate concerns that only Trump spoke about even if he is wildly inappropriate as president. I haven't called corbyn voters those things, I can absolutely see that corbyn voters have legitimate concerns and I wouldn't insult them just because they are voting for someone who is voicing some of their issues. I do think they are naive though if they think he will be able to enact even 50% of what he has promised and when you look at the takeover by the hard left of momentum and the likes of John Mcdonald and some of the statements he has made then I think it's sinister.

I said people were fed up of being called racist or xenophobic or thick for having legitimate concerns that only Trump spoke about even if he is wildly inappropriate as president. I haven't called corbyn voters those things, I can absolutely see that corbyn voters have legitimate concerns and I wouldn't insult them just because they are voting for someone who is voicing some of their issues. I do think they are naive though if they think he will be able to enact even 50% of what he has promised and when you look at the takeover by the hard left of momentum and the likes of John Mcdonald and some of the statements he has made then I think it's sinister.

You just called Corbyn voters gullible (aka thick). Sounds like you should be voting for him.

Can you give any of these sinister statements? And can you also provide the 50% of Theresa May's policies she is successfully implementing (ie the ones JC hasn't caused her to back down on)?

You just called Corbyn voters gullible (aka thick). Sounds like you should be voting for him.
There is undoubtedly a subset of corbyn voters who are guillable or at the very least wildly idealistic. I've spoken to some of them myself abd it's abundantly clear that they have not considered many of the implications of momentum rubbing the government. Generally they are single issue voters who are voting because they don't want to pay tuition fees or because they want nationalised industry. That's not suggesting that all corbyn voters are like that but many are and an awful lot of them are students and young people.

There is undoubtedly a subset of corbyn voters who are guillable or at the very least wildly idealistic. I've spoken to some of them myself abd it's abundantly clear that they have not considered many of the implications of momentum rubbing the government. Generally they are single issue voters who are voting because they don't want to pay tuition fees or because they want nationalised industry. That's not suggesting that all corbyn voters are like that but many are and an awful lot of them are students and young people.

There's a subset of any group of voters who are gullible. My mum is over 70 and swallows everything the Mail says.

You're being naive if you think it's only the young who are gullible.

Can you give any of these sinister statements? And can you also provide the 50% of Theresa May's policies she is successfully implementing (ie the ones JC hasn't caused her to back down on)?
Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell, who lists his hobby in Who's Who as 'fermenting [sic] the overthrow of Capitalism

'I'm a Marxist'

"white people like to play divide and rule" - Diane Abbott.

shadow chancellor John McDonnell addressed a socialist rally in Trafalgar Square where he delivered a rant beneath the Stalinist flag of the Communist Party.

he calls the Middle Eastern terror groups Hezbollah and Hamas his "friends" while he described the death of Osama Bin Laden as "a tragedy".

Sarah Cundy, who is the Canterbury CLP*Youth Officer and Canterbury Momentum Chair, reckons the DPRK is*“willing to stand up to imperialism”*and“has weapons to keep themselves and their population safe”,*concluding*“I’d rather have solidarity with DPRK than the USA”:

'Assassinate' Thatcher

“Fidel Castro’s death marks the passing of a huge figure of modern history, national independence and 20th-century socialism,” said the*Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, who claimed that “for all his flaws” Castro would be remembered as an “internationalist and a champion of social justice”.

That will do for now.

Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell, who lists his hobby in Who's Who as 'fermenting [sic] the overthrow of Capitalism

'I'm a Marxist'

"white people like to play divide and rule" - Diane Abbott.

shadow chancellor John McDonnell addressed a socialist rally in Trafalgar Square where he delivered a rant beneath the Stalinist flag of the Communist Party.

he calls the Middle Eastern terror groups Hezbollah and Hamas his "friends" while he described the death of Osama Bin Laden as "a tragedy".

Sarah Cundy, who is the Canterbury CLP*Youth Officer and Canterbury Momentum Chair, reckons the DPRK is*“willing to stand up to imperialism”*and“has weapons to keep themselves and their population safe”,*concluding*“I’d rather have solidarity with DPRK than the USA”:

'Assassinate' Thatcher

“Fidel Castro’s death marks the passing of a huge figure of modern history, national independence and 20th-century socialism,” said the*Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, who claimed that “for all his flaws” Castro would be remembered as an “internationalist and a champion of social justice”.

That will do for now.

Yet more misquotes that have caused people to completely mistrust the big-money owned right wing newspapers in this country.

Lol, copy and paste jobs from old Sun "articles" is all you can come up with.
You asked me to find examples of quotes that were sinister that have come out of the labour party. I apologise that I didn't particularly want to spend more than a few minutes tracking the quotes down. Are you suggesting that all the concerning quotes from labour have been misquoted somehow? All of them were invented by the evil right wing media? That's right its all some conspiracy and none of those things were ever said were they. Mcdonnell is just completely harmless and about sunshine and rainbows.

You asked me to find examples of quotes that were sinister that have come out of the labour party. I apologise that I didn't particularly want to spend more than a few minutes tracking the quotes down. Are you suggesting that all the concerning quotes from labour have been misquoted somehow? All of them were invented by the evil right wing media? That's right its all some conspiracy and none of those things were ever said were they. Mcdonnell is just completely harmless and about sunshine and rainbows.

Single word and very small sentences are meaningless as quotes as they completely lack context. I may as well post up a Cassetteboy montage of May's speeches and claim that what is in the video is exactly what she means.

The toys have been damaging this country enough for the last 7 years, let someone else get on and fix it.

Single word and very small sentences are meaningless as quotes as they completely lack context. I may as well post up a Cassetteboy montage of May's speeches and claim that what is in the video is exactly what she means.

The toys have been damaging this country enough for the last 7 years, let someone else get on and fix it.

I'm quite happy to allow the numerous quotes to speak for themselves. Posters are free to search out the context for themselves if they wish - I'm confident that they give an accurate representation of the mindset of those in charge of hard left labour.

I made no comment on the Tories other than to say they have been doing a poor job.

trump has the same. problem. People taking his views out of context.

I'm sure you empathise with him on this.

No as his views are given completely within context and under massive scrutiny. Like Bush, the man is clearly of very limited intelligence and a danger to the planet.