Clasie - Official: Feyenoord on Loan

Saint Martini

Even in the lower leagues we signed Trottman, Mellis, Dickson, Forte, Puncheon, De Ridder, Lee, Fox and Seaborne, who were... mixed, shall we say.

It's never been 100% sunshine and daises.

Puncheon and Fox were great signings that did more than what we needed them to do. Trotman, Dickson and Seaborne did exactly as we required of them. The rest admittedly were disappointing.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

For a bit of balance I think Tadic, Bertrand, Romeu, Alderweireld, Van Dijk and Mane were all good signings - but I think they were all Mitchell’s picks - or at least identified before he left.

It all started to go wrong when Reed was left in charge - the failure to sign Alderweireld permanently, the failure to replace Chambers when he left, the failure to offer Cork a contract in time to keep him from leaving and the failure to replace the goals of Pelle and Mane were all early signs of big Les Reed’s incompetence and delusion.

And his decisions have only got worse since.

The mistake in appointing Puel was compounded by not backing him with the players he needed - and then sacking him when we should have backed him again.

Martina and Clasie!

Boufal - why sign an injured player!?

The Fonte and Van Dijk fiascos - made worse by not replacing them.

The extended and overpriced contracts for a host of very average players!

Pelligrino! Pelligrino! Pelligrino!

Carillo!!!!!!

The worry is these decisions almost led to relegation last season and will probably see us continue our rapid decline. I can see Forster becoming our Jack Rodwell.

The worst thing is all the rubbish they spouted - with all their delusion and arrogance that they couldn’t be wrong.

We had a golden opportunity to win something and cement a place in the top 10 but we blew it big time!

The one hope is Reed is on his way out - and he needs to go to rebuild the trust with the fans - and whoever is in charge now can make enough right decisions to keep our heads above water long enough for us to rebuild the squad.

Have to say signing Clasie always seemed like Koeman doing his mate a favour in helping him jump on the PL gravy train.

Nah, Koeman really believed Clasie could make it when he got used to the pace in the PL. At Everton he made the same mistake with Davy Klaassen from Ajax.

For a bit of balance I think Tadic, Bertrand, Romeu, Alderweireld, Van Dijk and Mane were all good signings - but I think they were all Mitchell’s picks - or at least identified before he left.

It all started to go wrong when Reed was left in charge - the failure to sign Alderweireld permanently, the failure to replace Chambers when he left, the failure to offer Cork a contract in time to keep him from leaving and the failure to replace the goals of Pelle and Mane were all early signs of big Les Reed’s incompetence and delusion.

And his decisions have only got worse since.

The mistake in appointing Puel was compounded by not backing him with the players he needed - and then sacking him when we should have backed him again.

Martina and Clasie!

Boufal - why sign an injured player!?

The Fonte and Van Dijk fiascos - made worse by not replacing them.

The extended and overpriced contracts for a host of very average players!

Pelligrino! Pelligrino! Pelligrino!

Carillo!!!!!!

The worry is these decisions almost led to relegation last season and will probably see us continue our rapid decline. I can see Forster becoming our Jack Rodwell.

The worst thing is all the rubbish they spouted - with all their delusion and arrogance that they couldn’t be wrong.

We had a golden opportunity to win something and cement a place in the top 10 but we blew it big time!

The one hope is Reed is on his way out - and he needs to go to rebuild the trust with the fans - and whoever is in charge now can make enough right decisions to keep our heads above water long enough for us to rebuild the squad.

About as balanced as a giant chip on the smallest of shoulders.

Citing Martina is about as desperate as it gets in the blame Les game.

Puncheon and Fox were great signings that did more than what we needed them to do. Trotman, Dickson and Seaborne did exactly as we required of them. The rest admittedly were disappointing.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Puncheon was here for half a season before falling out and being loaned to half the football League. He eventually had a decent season with us in the Prem but his attitude caused all sorts of problems before that.

Fox was in a team so good that he didn't really have to worry about defending but when he did it was questionable.

At the end of the day the black box was (and still is) a glorified database. It is only as good as the analysts who input and then assess the data derived from it. The club made a decision to promote this for PR reasons and it gave this false impression we had a fall proof way of identifying players to sign.

The reality, as mentioned already is that unless you are prepared to spend mega bucks to sign a proven premier league or other top flight player then it is a gamble. Saints don't have the money to do that so all the black box does is try to mitigate the risk of signing someone who makes it (Alderweireld / Mane / Pelle / Bertrand / Clyne / Lovren / VVD etc) than one who flops (Claisie / Boufal / Carillio etc).

We've had mixed results but seemed to have lost our way often than not recently. I do think Mitchell leaving is a factor in this but also our luck may be out and it could easily reverse.

Les has to be held accountable as he is the Head of all Football matters - not quite sure he deserves all the abuse he gets though

Yeah, confirmed now. Back to his home club....sure he's chuffed!

Di8e4RDW0AAQZ7r.jpg:large

Maybe this now opens up a space for us to re-enter the market. (not sure it will open much space financially mind you)

Yeah, I'd say it'll be something like a small loan fee & 50% of his wages covered.

Not much, but it'll do for now.

What i don't understand is Saints fans cry out for top class signings - then cry when they leave and are sold at a profit (VVD/Wanyama/Clyne/Spiderman/ to name a few) the club get no credit, however when signings which are expensive don't pay off and the club ends up loaning players out as no-one wants them, then the club quite rightly gets stick. Either way paying money for transfers is a risk - the sad thing is we have stopped putting as many youth players into the first team and are instead focusing on loaning them out, and buying expensive players instead.

It's much better for a youngster to fail - than it is a £19m signing from Monaco. That is where the club has failed, and we should get behind the likes of Targett/Stephens/McQueen/Sims/Reed etc than always cry out for new expensive signings which will end up being far more of a risk. This is why i want Sam Gallagher to be in the squad and if he's not good enough we will deal with that come next season, rather than spend £20m on a player who may or may not score 10 goals..

Over 40m of transfer activity already this summer we cannot recoup.

Thats why we are light up front and will brush with relegation again this season.

Wondering exactly when Reed will fall on his sword or be pushed...

Maybe you should just give this season a miss then?

• 3 weeks later...

Clasie update:

Yesterday the Dutch Eredivisie also started their new season. Feyenoord lost 2-0 away from home at newly promoted De Graafschap (the club we bought Steve de Ridder from). According to Dutch media Clasie failed miserably and looked a fish out of water. They said you could see he hasn’t played regular football for ages and physically he was out of shape.

Clasie update:

Yesterday the Dutch Eredivisie also started their new season. Feyenoord lost 2-0 away from home at newly promoted De Graafschap (the club we bought Steve de Ridder from). According to Dutch media Clasie failed miserably and looked a fish out of water. They said you could see he hasn’t played regular football for ages and physically he was out of shape.

Cheers for the update. No surprise about him being out of shape. Hopefully he gets better as he finds his rhythm.