Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

So these are the recent developments -

Mystery billionaire approaches Lloyd to front his bid and protect his identity - plausible.

Lloyd takes this on with promise of money or a role in the new era - yeah, I get that.Backer sobers up and decides it's a crazy idea - very plausible.

Lloyd continues without the funding for no apparent reason, then stumbles across a second billionaire - for me, this is where it starts to fall down...

For a bloke whose own company is in big trouble he has quite a knack of plucking dim billionaires out of nowhere.

We have either a man who wants a free day out at Wembley and a bit of an ego boost, or a shrewd player who knows billionaires aplenty and has the skills to negotiate them through the worst set of accounts they will ever see.

And if it is the later, why is his own company in so much sh1t? And why do administrators take these clowns seriously?

ROTFPMSL :D

The guy really is Walter fecking Mitty isn't he :D

Anybody know what an instituation is and whether it has anything to do with Monkey Chicken Petting zoos?

An instituation is an unusual spelling of the sort of place someone like Marc lives in, with nice soft walls and nurses and somewhere for an imaginary monkey chicken petting zoo

And if it is the later, why is his own company in so much sh1t? And why do administrators take these clowns seriously?

Quote from Andy Android in the Guardian - Andronikou said Lloyd's potential buy-out was not at the top of his agenda. He said: "Its not a primary concern, a primary issue at the moment."

I don't think he would be saying that if he was taking him seriously. He can't stop him trying, but he's clearly not expecting a cheque for £100 mill any time soon.

Yes, it's Pinnacle all over again. Start with wealthy backers who then mysteriously disappear to leave an impecunious taxi driver. He carries out due diligence (in our case thought to be at Leon Crouch's huge expense because our administrator wouldn't accept £5000!!) hoping that once he's done so he can find some mug he can back it out to quickly (as due diligence will have been done already) and cream off a percentage himself.

So these are the recent developments -

Mystery billionaire approaches Lloyd to front his bid and protect his identity - plausible.

Lloyd takes this on with promise of money or a role in the new era - yeah, I get that.Backer sobers up and decides it's a crazy idea - very plausible.

Lloyd continues without the funding for no apparent reason, then stumbles across a second billionaire - for me, this is where it starts to fall down...

For a bloke whose own company is in big trouble he has quite a knack of plucking dim billionaires out of nowhere.

We have either a man who wants a free day out at Wembley and a bit of an ego boost, or a shrewd player who knows billionaires aplenty and has the skills to negotiate them through the worst set of accounts they will ever see.

Or maybe the 'so called' mystery funder does not have as much money to waste given that Lloyd was constantly saying SSN the other day that fans would have a chance to buy into the club as well. Desperately trying to raise more funds????

Strange that the story in the Guardian was the only one to suggest that the original wealthy single potential buyer had been replaced by another single wealthy potential buyer. Both apparently were using Lloyd to front their bid and although AA had been informed of the identity of the first potential buyer, he is in the dark as to the identity of the second. He says that it is not unusual for the front runner in a consortium to change, but a single buyer is not a consortium. Something doesn't add up.

If there is any substance to this story which broke yesterday, surely the other papers would either be publishing any information that they had gleaned from a bit of digging, or else would have syndicated the Guardian story.

As for The News, there is not a whisper about it. Strange.

If you are left with nobody but the clowns, unfortunately you have to humour them. From a PFC POV, it is no laughing matter though.

If you are left with nobody but the clowns, unfortunately you have to humour them. From a PFC POV, it is no laughing matter though.

I'm led to believe, that owing to the amount of apprentices that will be playing for them next year, that it is in fact Alan Sugar who is interested :rolleyes:

Strange that the story in the Guardian was the only one to suggest that the original wealthy single potential buyer had been replaced by another single wealthy potential buyer. Both apparently were using Lloyd to front their bid and although AA had been informed of the identity of the first potential buyer, he is in the dark as to the identity of the second. He says that it is not unusual for the front runner in a consortium to change, but a single buyer is not a consortium. Something doesn't add up.

If there is any substance to this story which broke yesterday, surely the other papers would either be publishing any information that they had gleaned from a bit of digging, or else would have syndicated the Guardian story.

As for The News, there is not a whisper about it. Strange.

So, let's analyse the facts then.

A mystery billionaire

Doesn't want his name known

Needs a frontman

Is still looking at the club

That rings a few bells of possibilities.

Someone who can't be named either an FAPP failure or a PR disaster

Frontman so likely not a UK resident

Is still looking at the club even though he would know the mess it is in.

That IMHO narrows it down to 2 names worth guessing at, both of whom have been bandied about on here in the past.

One has many supporters in Red Shirts (ironic that)

The other has a Pop who runs a North African Country.

Nice rescue that will turn out to be if either of them

Jeezus.Completely delusional !!!!

If I may rant just a little bit...

... CV/work-history displayed there is exactly the kind of pointless delusional cack that has helped to mess-up this country. What particular skills is he showing, what does he make and why is he special?? The answers are absolutely 'fu.ck-all', 'fu.ck-all' and 'is he fu.ck' and yet I have no doubt that he creams in a nice little income from pri.cks with too much cash. Property+Football = two over-inflated bubbles which do nothing to improve the country and quite a lot to screw it up. What a co.ck. Wish he'd just grow up and get a proper job... or fu.ck off completely.

Thanks.

Either of whom would immediately turn to a failed scouse property developer to be their UK frontman.

Well you would, wouldn't you?

Oh dear. The bloke can't even write his CV.

Interesting to see his education includes "Nottingham Trent University" between 1980 and 1984. It was actually called Trent Polytechnic in those days. It gained university status in 1992.

OK, so he has embellished his CV just a little, you know we all do it - all his other crudentials are spot on you know....! ;)

Edited by Micky

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/You39ve-been-hoodwinked.6207921.jp

Old Harry trying to justify his spending...and of course none of it is his fault

It does make me laugh when people claim to have made a profit on players without counting the amount of money they spent on the wages during their time at the club.

Sol Campbell was on £60k a week, on a three-year contract. That's £9m in wages, and he was released on a free. That's a loss of £9m. Genius.

It does make me laugh when people claim to have made a profit on players without counting the amount of money they spent on the wages during their time at the club.

Sol Campbell was on £60k a week, on a three-year contract. That's £9m in wages, and he was released on a free. That's a loss of £9m. Genius.

Yep and then he says 'tell me where the money has gone?' talk about trying to appease the fans

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/You39ve-been-hoodwinked.6207921.jp

Old Harry trying to justify his spending...and of course none of it is his fault

Some interesting comments

'Sylvain Distin came for nothing, had decent wages and left for £5.5m.

Taking into account those wages, over the two years he's probably ended up costing the club nothing.

So £5.5m over 2 years is about £52k per week in wages, unless of course you factor in Harry's (and Peter's) cut & ignore agents fees - no wonder he came to Pompey. Of course, this is the same Harry who said he didn't know how much his players were paid.

'They got their money back with Niko, I signed Marc Wilson and he's probably worth £4m now. What a fantastic £1m signing David James was.

Marc Wilson - £4m ROFL

So, let's analyse the facts then.

A mystery billionaire

Doesn't want his name known

Needs a frontman

Is still looking at the club

That rings a few bells of possibilities.

Someone who can't be named either an FAPP failure or a PR disaster

Frontman so likely not a UK resident

Is still looking at the club even though he would know the mess it is in.

That IMHO narrows it down to 2 names worth guessing at, both of whom have been bandied about on here in the past.

Nice rescue that will turn out to be if either of them

An amusing assessment, Phil, but it doesn't stack up.

AA would know immediately that neither Taksin nor Gadaffi's kid would pass the FAPP criteria.

AA has let it be known that he was given the name of the first mystery buyer and if it were one of those two, there would be no real point in pursuing it any further. Unless he was rather unethically pursuing the path of the Estate Agent, sending a false signal to prospective buyers, that of course, there were others on the verge of buying, so you had better hurry up and decide.

Lloyd has made it clear that he is the front-man for a consortium that includes support from a New York-based hedge fund and a wealthy investor, possibly the South African investment house Old Mutual.

Mr Lloyd believes his investor - a British-based hedgefunder - will be ready to reveal his identity in the near future

Mr Lloyd, who was speaking on The Quay radio, said: 'I'm acting on behalf of a major and substantial investor.

So first there was a consortium. Then there was this British-based hedge funder. Now there is a different individual that only the Guardian has highlighted.

Doesn't exactly fill one one with confidence that the whole episode is anything but a convoluted charade. And why hasn't the Guardian story been reported on elsewhere, halfway through the following day since it broke?

AA would know immediately that neither Taksin nor Gadaffi's kid would pass the FAPP criteria.

AA has let it be known that he was given the name of the first mystery buyer and if it were one of those two, there would be no real point in pursuing it any further. Unless he was rather unethically pursuing the path of the Estate Agent, sending a false signal to prospective buyers, that of course, there were others on the verge of buying, so you had better hurry up and decide.

So first there was a consortium. Then there was this British-based hedge funder. Now there is a different individual that only the Guardian has highlighted.

Doesn't exactly fill one one with confidence that the whole episode is anything but a convoluted charade. And why hasn't the Guardian story been reported on elsewhere, halfway through the following day since it broke?

Investec have also been mentioned, although confusingly described as a New York hedge fund. Investec is a South African Investment Management Group. Given that it was Standard Bank who wisely precipitated this whole collapse a year ago (and who are also my local bank here in SA :)), there is no way either Old Mutual or Investec would be interested. They have a reputation down here for being pretty conservative.

Investec have also been mentioned, although confusingly described as a New York hedge fund. Investec is a South African Investment Management Group. Given that it was Standard Bank who wisely precipitated this whole collapse a year ago (and who are also my local bank here in SA :)), there is no way either Old Mutual or Investec would be interested. They have a reputation down here for being pretty conservative.

Without being able to speculate too much, I think that Investec may be in discussions with Android in some form or another.

However I'd also speculate that it won't be about ownership, more along the lines of Factoring.

If they are being implied as being a buyer by AA then that means the Skates are in even worse than being in even worse state.

Without being able to speculate too much, I think that Investec may be in discussions with Android in some form or another.

However I'd also speculate that it won't be about ownership, more along the lines of Factoring.

If they are being implied as being a buyer by AA then that means the Skates are in even worse than being in even worse state.

??????

One day the tale of how brokers try and put these deals togather should be investigated properly and sympathetically by the media.

One broker sees an "IN" or an "Angle" that they think will work and then uses their network of contacts to put together a group to fund that.

This Rob Lloyd seems no different, I've seen this type of thing in all areas of business going back 20 or more years. Occassionally a deal comes off when all the right jigsaw pieces are in place, but somewhere in his mind Lolyd (sic) will have found a magic button to get people interested.

He MAY be another media whore like Fialka, but it is way too early to say.

With Saints when the 30+ interested parties emerged, the magic button could have been Jacksons Farm, Staplewood, the Academy or the Commercial Benefit of turning the club around.

Somewhere somehow somebody thinks they have an angle.

Hinting at two people seeking a way into European Football is one possible angle. Al Fayed at Fulham had an angle all those years ago, his was "I want a Passport."

One thing that is likely to be certain, while their IS an alleged interest, AA's hands will be tied, and I would be pretty certain that without the cash coming in (the exclusivity fee of 3mil is remarkably close to their wage bill) AA's problems will be growing. Lolyd could be a lot more than a chancer, or the saviour, he could be the death knell.

Which is what, exactly?

In simple terms, buying debt, or rather the right to recover debt, at a discount.

The original creditor benefits from having a single debtor that is highly credit worthy (ie a bank), as opposed to a load of small customers who never pay on time, dispute amounts and are generally a pain in the backside, but loses out on recovering the full value of the debt. This gives the company cash-flow certainty.

The bank keeps a proportion of the debt it recovers from the small customers etc.

It is a fairly common thing and used by many solvent companies.

Edited by benjii

Which is what, exactly?

Factoring

Invoice Discounting

Services used by organisations to assist in their cash flow by receiving a discounted fee on the day that they raise an invoice to a customer.

If your business has customers that pay in say 90 days, for a fee precentage you can get that money in days.

I have pointed this avenue out before as one that could be viable to provide short term funds and stop the PL having to give money to PFC directly.

Do PFC have future payments due? Yes.

How could they access that money?

Ah

So it's like saying Joe owes Dan £30. Sam will give Dan £25 now and get the £30 off Joe later?

Yep....

Bit more red tape to it all but in a nutshell.

If I was one of the "I really want them to suffer" brigade then I'd be really hopeful that they use this sort of service to burn up their Parachute Payments in order to limp their way to the Cup Semi and leave them totally skint next year or dependant on the next asset stripper oops sorry owner.

:)

It wouldn't fit with Investec's profile here. Much too "short-term high-risk". There are more progressive lenders here for that. But their profile in the UK could be different. However, given Standard Bank's close shave, I doubt it.

It wouldn't fit with Investec's profile here. Much too "short-term high-risk". There are more progressive lenders here for that. But their profile in the UK could be different. However, given Standard Bank's close shave, I doubt it.

I doubt it too. Investec are mostly into pension funds. Why they would waste their time on some sort of invoice discounting scheme with a two-bob outfit like Pompey is beyond me, therefore I doubt that they are.

Edited by benjii

I doubt it too. Investec are mostly into pension funds. Why they would waste there time on some sort of invoice discounting scheme with a two-bob outfit like Pompey is beyond me, therefore I doubt that they are.

I think calling Pompey a two bob outfit is a bit rich, we all know they haven't got two pence to rub together :D

I think calling Pompey a two bob outfit is a bit rich, we all know they haven't got two pence to rub together :D

True :)

Actually now I think about it, Investec were the major insitutional shareholders in us (SLH PLC) weren't they? They possibly do have some sort of sporting arm that I don't know anything about in that case so I'll wind me' neck in on the subject of Investec and football finance!

Actually now I think about it, Investec were the major insitutional shareholders in us (SLH PLC) weren't they? They possibly do have some sort of sporting arm that I don't know anything about in that case so I'll wind me' neck in on the subject of Investec and football finance!

Nope, Invesco!

;)

Forum Match in May should be good time for speculation that can never be typed I'm sure

International Business Aquisition and Strategy engagments. IBASE specialise in purchasing high value companies , properties or portfolios normally from distressed situations for high net worth individuals or instituations.

Actually now I think about it, Investec were the major insitutional shareholders in us (SLH PLC) weren't they?

Hmm, anything you'd like to share Benjii? Do you have a penchant for photocopiers, and failing to buy football clubs? :-k

Hmm, anything you'd like to share Benjii? Do you have a penchant for photocopiers, and failing to buy football clubs? :-k

Rob Lloyd and Mark Jackson ought to have a lot in common

Quote: The Telegraph

He grew up on a farm in Cheshire and was educated at the independent Rydal School in Colwyn Bay, where it took him seven attempts to pass his English Language O’ Level.

As most Skate fans are illiterate, it's a great match all round. ;)

Yep....

Bit more red tape to it all but in a nutshell.

If I was one of the "I really want them to suffer" brigade then I'd be really hopeful that they use this sort of service to burn up their Parachute Payments in order to limp their way to the Cup Semi and leave them totally skint next year or dependant on the next asset stripper oops sorry owner.

:)

I doubt very much that any Factoring Company would provide forward finance for a Client for just one debtor, not least as that Client is insolvent.

In simple terms, buying debt, or rather the right to recover debt, at a discount.

The original creditor benefits from having a single debtor that is highly credit worthy (ie a bank), as opposed to a load of small customers who never pay on time, dispute amounts and are generally a pain in the backside, but loses out on recovering the full value of the debt. This gives the company cash-flow certainty.

The bank keeps a proportion of the debt it recovers from the small customers etc.

It is a fairly common thing and used by many solvent companies.

Well, that's automatically ruled out Poopey from using this service then...

I doubt very much that any Factoring Company would provide forward finance for a Client for just one debtor, not least as that Client is insolvent.

But the income due is guarenteed from the PL and tv companies and so a nice risk free earner I would have thought

ROTFPMSL :D

The guy really is Walter fecking Mitty isn't he :D

Anybody know what an instituation is and whether it has anything to do with Monkey Chicken Petting zoos?

Think Walter has fixed this on the ibase 3rd year project, sorry website. Marc, if you're listening, no offence. Could you also correct the same misspelling on the LinkedIn page? Spelling is one thing , but is there anyone on here who can offer free credibility gap advice to our friend?