Niemi retires! Best memories?

equalizer

A great pro and a great keeper. If only we could return to those times. Seem to recall he still did a lot of work for local charities, long after he left the Saints. True Saint and one of the best keepers we ever had. Good luck Antti.

I would say he has been the best keeper I have seen in the flesh playing for Saints. I always felt comfortable with him in goal that the opposition always had an extra line of defence to get past.

A top top bloke too, always had time for the fans whenever you met him.

Enjoy your retirment Antti and I'm sure I speak for all Saints fans when I say you will always be welcome back at Saint Mary's.

The triple save is often mentioned as his greatest single moment, but in terms of overall match performances, I'll never forget his first away game for Saints at Bolton - it's probably more commonly remembered for Wayne Bridge's goal and 'windmill' celebration. Niemi was unbelievably good that day and was only beaten by the last kick of the match, an unmissable tap-in by Djorkaeff. Prior to that, some of the reaction saves, including one from Dean Holdsworth who'd hammered the ball at the goal from no more than six yards, beggered belief. Watching from the top tier of the stand were a few hundred awe-struck Saints fans, and I came away from the game wondering if Niemi had peaked! Thankfully, he hadn't. Another game during that season where he was incredible was the away win at West Ham, Beattie sticking a stoppage-time nail in Glenn Roeder's coffin. I was watching it on TV and Niemi stopped it from being a consolation goal in a heavy defeat. He is the greatest goalkeeper I've ever seen play for Saints and I reckon he's probably our best ever - I never saw Shilton play for us, but I find it hard to believe that he could possibly have been any better than Niemi. Some lucky club is about to land itself a magnificent goalkeeping coach.

Bloody brilliant 'keeper, may not see one of similar class for Saints in many, many years, if ever again! Amazing memories from his tenure inbetween the sticks.

Have a look at this compiliation to remember just what a sensational stopper he has been (but shy your eyes from some of the saints defending..!). Also, turn the sound down.. or off!

Does anyone still have that sound clip from a Scottish radio phone-in?

Scotland fan; ''I don't know why Craig Brown [can't remember who he said was the Scottish manager] doesn't pick Antti Niemi for the Scotland squad''

Presenter; ''Antti Niemi?!''

Fan; ''Yeah, Antti Niemi''

Presenter; ''He's Finnish''

Fan; ''Finished? He's only 29!''

I never saw Shilton play for us, but I find it hard to believe that he could possibly have been any better than Niemi. Some lucky club is about to land itself a magnificent goalkeeping coach.

You find it hard to believe that a player that amassed over 1,000 league appearances and is England's most capped player (who would have had many more caps if it wasn't for Clemence), wasn't as good as Niemi?!

Niemi was the best keeper we've had in the last 20 years, better than Flowers IMO. BUT, his achievements in the game do not compare to Shilton.

You find it hard to believe that a player that amassed over 1,000 league appearances and is England's most capped player (who would have had many more caps if it wasn't for Clemence), wasn't as good as Niemi?!

Niemi was the best keeper we've had in the last 20 years, better than Flowers IMO. BUT, his achievements in the game do not compare to Shilton.

I don't dispute that Shilton was a truly great goalkeeper over the course of his career. But Shilton was at his peak at Nottingham Forest (he's said so himself) and I genuinely don't think that he could possibly have played as well for Saints as Niemi did.

I would say he has been the best keeper I have seen in the flesh playing for Saints. I always felt comfortable with him in goal that the opposition always had an extra line of defence to get past.

A top top bloke too, always had time for the fans whenever you met him.

Enjoy your retirment Antti and I'm sure I speak for all Saints fans when I say you will always be welcome back at Saint Mary's.

spot on post

Great, great goalie. Whenever I see him make a save for Fulham it makes me smile. He's still got the magic touch. Great shame he has that wrist injury. I think he could have played on for years otherwise.

So many magic moments from his Saints days, e.g. the triple save, etc... But the standout for sheer fun was when he hit the crossbar at Craven Cottage, and Svensson headed in the rebound. The players couldn't decide whether to mob Antti or Michael. Lovely stuff, and a reference for how Saints were at the time.

For me 3 classic moments: the triple save against Arsenal, the shot against the bar against Fulham and the shoving match with Prutton against whoever it was. Fantastic keeper, great personality - shame his career was ended by injury and not on the high it deserved (i.e. coming back here and getting us promoted!!!).

Good Luck Anti.

The best Keeper I have seen at Saints (Too young for Shilton unfortunely!). I really can't see us having a goalkeeper of such quality again!

Thought he would have gone to a very top class side when he left us and really can't understand why a top side never brought him, maybe his age. Must have added a good 10-15 points to us each season he played.

Good Luck Anti.

The best Keeper I have seen at Saints (Too young for Shilton unfortunely!). I really can't see us having a goalkeeper of such quality again!

Thought he would have gone to a very top class side when he left us and really can't understand why a top side never brought him, maybe his age. Must have added a good 10-15 points to us each season he played.

Apparently just before we bought him Sir alex ferguson tried to buy him but Niemi turned it down because he'd already agreed a deal with us and didn't want to go back on his word, top bloke, greatest keeper i've seen, good luck in whatever you do anti!!!!!!!!