• Perry
    • Harding
    • Mellis
    • Murty
    • Wotton
    • Lallana
    • Lambert
    • Saganowski

Great performance tonight. So many players had good games. My MOTM was Mellis, look dangerous every time he got the ball. I'm very hopeful for the future, we will spank most Lg1 teams if we play like that.

Shame about Murty getting injured, (that really was the turning point), and the very low standard of officiating.

Shame about Murty getting injured, (that really was the turning point), and the very low standard of officiating.

The injury to Murty was the only real downer for me, as we definitely lost our shape when he went off.

To me, that was more worrying than losing tonight.

Missed the whole of the first half due to a terrible journey down, almost didn't get let in as the first muppet steward said we were too late and weren't allowed in!!! Luckily a sensible steward overheard my 2nd conversation with the muppet and stepped in, allowing us to enter.

On to the 2nd half- very encouraging with the exception of the centre backs- Thomas in particular. Lost his man and was IMO, culpable for both goals, particularly the first with his pass to Gillett. Harding looks a real find on the 3 occasions I've seen him. Great strike from Lallana.

On the basis of that game and remembering the two cup-tied players, we still need a striker and a CB urgently.

Made Birmingham look poor for most of the half, but those defensive lapses HAVE to stop.

The best good news was I saw Jaidi coming out from St Mary's with his family after the game. The Birmingham staff was asking him had he signed a contract yet. It proved that the rumour about Jaidi using Southampton facilities and will be gaining a work permit soon is more than 100% true. I just can't wait to see our back four consist of Murty, Jaidi, Perry in front of the Premiership quality keeper Kelvin Davis.

I thought it was a good performance all round apart from when Bowyer lost his marker completely to score and Carsley was allowed to walk unmarked into the penalty box to score. We had plenty of chances and two clear cut penalties but the referee missed them but he missed everything else as well including the late stuff dished out by Birmingham.

Seems like a very good performance and in many ways the result is of less importance. Another game to get the team playing together ( though of course several of our first choice players were missing or on the bench).

No surprise at all about the performance of the ref, the standard of referees has long been a major issue IMO.

Best performance so far, but beware we said the same thing after Brum last season.

Thought that everyone played well although Thomas showed why he will be on the bench a lot this season.

Thought Brum exploited James and Mellis after Murty went on, Mellis in particular, all game did not know where Carr was, after saying that he was good going forward especially in first half although seemed to lose his way/confidence in second period.

Need to reproduce that level of threat in league games now

Missed the whole of the first half due to a terrible journey down, almost didn't get let in as the first muppet steward said we were too late and weren't allowed in!!! Luckily a sensible steward overheard my 2nd conversation with the muppet and stepped in, allowing us to enter.

Shame as we had Brum under the cosh for most of it, best 45 I've seen from us for some time. Should also have been ahead, good chances and 2 likely pens missed by sub-standard officials.

Little doubt Murty's injury was the turning point, Brum took full advantage of our reshuffle.

All played well, Harding stood out for me, funny how one player can catch the eye more than others sometimes, but first half plenty of movement and hunger from the front pair. Saga was flying, like when he first turned up, tho' tired second half. Shop window perfomance?

What a real shame that last 10 minutes was.I came away from the game feeling as though i'd been mugged.Well done lads, i really enjoyed watching the cut and thrust football.Birmingham were one of the most physical sides i have seen for ages, and due to a weak ref, got away with a number of dubious tackles, which ultimately contributed to our downfall.As others have said the Murty injury totally threw us in to total confusion, and both their goals eminated from our right wing/right back position.Was a shame for James really because he had played really well in midfield, but looked weak at right full-back.Mind you his defensive partners didn't help.

Good to to see us slowly improving, even with the two new guys missing tonight.Special mention for the fans, brilliant all evening even when Birmingham equalised and went into the lead.Most supporters can put up with loosing games(not), providing they have seen total committment and effort.

What's all the fuss been about????;)

A really good performance with a number of very good individual performances. There is no way a neutral would have thought we were two divisions apart.

Dominated large periods of the game and much to praise tonight.

Scores on the doors:

KD - 8 - some good saves

Murty - 8 - Solid and dependable

Perry - 7 - Faded towards the end, but still a good performance

Thomas - 7 - Nothing sophisticated, but put himself about. Sold Gillet short somewhat for one of their goals (I think)

Harding - 8 - Liked the look of him

Melias - 7 - A bit lightweight, but showed some skill

Wotton - 6 - Didn't relly see him much

James - 6 - As Wotton

Lallana - 9 - For someone who I thought had underperformed last season (and others had the same this season) I thought he was magnificent. Some sublime touches and a great finish

Saga - 8 - Good movement and skill

Lambert - 8 - Liked what I saw of him tonight

Subs:

Gillett - 6 - Game seemed to pass him by

Paterson - 6 - Not sure he did much

Scheiderlin - 6 - Didn't make an impact

Very good atmosphere and good support which I thought was a direct result of the effort given by the players.

If we play like that, then we will be OK.

Players get a 6 when "the game passed them by" or who you "didn't see much of" or "not sure he did much" or "didn't make an impact".

What does a player have to be like to get a 3 or a 4? Leave his boots at home and be told to stand facing the player's entrance for 90 minutes with his arms in the air?

Excellent footballing display tonight. Lallana was superb, James in midfield was a revelation, Lambert caused them problems all night and a nice balance to it all until that injury and (yet) another sloppy moment by Thomas let them into the game and we lost our heads. Worst referee I've seen down there for a long time

What's all the fuss been about????;)

A really good performance with a number of very good individual performances. There is no way a neutral would have thought we were two divisions apart.

Dominated large periods of the game and much to praise tonight.

Scores on the doors:

KD - 8 - some good saves

Murty - 8 - Solid and dependable

Perry - 7 - Faded towards the end, but still a good performance

Thomas - 7 - Nothing sophisticated, but put himself about. Sold Gillet short somewhat for one of their goals (I think)

Harding - 8 - Liked the look of him

Melias - 7 - A bit lightweight, but showed some skill

Wotton - 6 - Didn't relly see him much

James - 6 - As Wotton

Lallana - 9 - For someone who I thought had underperformed last season (and others had the same this season) I thought he was magnificent. Some sublime touches and a great finish

Saga - 8 - Good movement and skill

Lambert - 8 - Liked what I saw of him tonight

Subs:

Gillett - 6 - Game seemed to pass him by

Paterson - 6 - Not sure he did much

Scheiderlin - 6 - Didn't make an impact

Very good atmosphere and good support which I thought was a direct result of the effort given by the players.

If we play like that, then we will be OK.

I thought they all played well nobody really outstanding all 7s apart from Davis 8 although Lallana's goal was special and showed nice touches but no real end product

I thought James and Wotton were pretty good in midfield and when Murty was injured things went wrong.

We never seemed to get to the byline very often

I thought they all played well nobody really outstanding all 7s apart from Davis 8 although Lallana's goal was special and showed nice touches but no real end product

I thought James and Wotton were pretty good in midfield and when Murty was injured things went wrong.

We never seemed to get to the byline very often

LOL only you could write that JohnB!

Whilst one swallow doesn't make a summer let's hope this performance from Lallana will show what he has the potential for and will cut him some slack from his fierce critics.

Was Lambert carrying an injury cos he looked tired and out of it. Lallana had a good game but was he trying to impress a Premier League manager? Seems to me that we play best when the ball stays on the ground rather than dealing with the League 1 hoofers. As usual Super Kev played a blinder. What a keeper.

A very good performance played some lovely football and matched Brum all over the park the boys seemed well up for it hope they can take into the league but cant see us getting the time to play like that in league 1 a FOOTBALL game suites our style and we can play a bit the hurly burly of the lower leagues who knows time will tell.

Kelvin 9 some really great saves must be best keeper in our league

Murty 8 great game I think it is him we have been missing lead the back four well

Perry 7 solid dependable decent defender

Thomas 6 did the ugly stuff ugly carthorse but big physical presence in both boxes

Harding 8 the more I see of this fella the better I like him good player

Melias 7 showed some good touches lightwieght but decent

Wotton 7 his best game for us but still gash gave 100 % as always

James 7 looks better in midfield would like to see him wide right did well

Lallana 9 best game for ages some sublime touches and skill final ball still not there but talented

Lambert 8 won everything 1st half proper centre forward shame we didnt give him the service his effort deserved if we provide service from wide he will get bundles of goals feed the Lamb and he will score

Saga 7 worked really hard put in a great shift if his heart is in it and he stays could be good for us

Keep up this kind of performance and we will do well

LOL only you could write that JohnB!

Whilst one swallow doesn't make a summer let's hope this performance from Lallana will show what he has the potential for and will cut him some slack from his fierce critics.

Of course the boy has talent but he does not seem to harness the talent to enable the team to score goals with his final ball

His corners were not good either.

It is after all goals which win matches

Agree with all of that - KD was also on great form and had 2 or 3 fantastic saves.

Anyone else think Lambert looked a bit sluggish or maybe even injured?

Also, did anyone see any CCC / Prem scouts in the crowd? Seems Saga played his heart out :)

And then

Was Lambert carrying an injury cos he looked tired and out of it. Lallana had a good game but was he trying to impress a Premier League manager? Seems to me that we play best when the ball stays on the ground rather than dealing with the League 1 hoofers. As usual Super Kev played a blinder. What a keeper.

You my twin?

Players get a 6 when "the game passed them by" or who you "didn't see much of" or "not sure he did much" or "didn't make an impact".

What does a player have to be like to get a 3 or a 4? Leave his boots at home and be told to stand facing the player's entrance for 90 minutes with his arms in the air?

I'm ever so sorry that my rough scores on the doors at gone half eleven didn't meet up to your exacting standards.

Next time I will ensure I give full justification for the scores along with a prozone analysis for each player, as well as their marks out of ten.

But just for the record and to keep you happy, the scoring system I used was the one I grew up with and used to always see in the News Of The World, and it went someting like this:

4 - Stinker

5 - Below Average

6 - Average

7 - Above average

8 - Good

9 - Excellent

10 - Out of this world

(The News of The World didn't do 3's ;))

Of course the boy has talent but he does not seem to harness the talent to enable the team to score goals with his final ball

Don't you see the irony in this statement...

Lallana's goal was special and showed nice touches but no real end product

You're right about goals but I don't see the lack of goals argument levelled at any of the other midfielders?

Seems to have been a better performance and evidence that Pardew is improving the **** players by deploying them differently. Might help their confidence and enable them to stop being so ****. I am thinking James in midfield and Lallana not playing in a 5 yard strip up the middle. Interesting that Thomas was at fault for the first - really need to replace him as he will be injured soon and we need a settled back 4. Better.

Interesting that Thomas was at fault for the first - really need to replace him as he will be injured soon and we need a settled back 4. Better.

As strange as it may seem, I haven't really got a problem with Thomas playing in this division as I think you need a bit of unsophisticated brawn and muscle at the back.

Haven't seen the new guy, so if he's not of a similar mold, then I am OK with Thomas getting a game.

Really good performance from the lads last night & i firmly believe had Murty not been forced off through injury that we'd have gone on to win the game & lets not forget the team that Birmingham put out last night was a very strong one. We looked dangerous going forward all the time, especially with Harding & Lallana linking up well on the left. Defended well too & when they did breach our defence Super Kelv was there as usual to make some great stops.

Markings out of 10:

Davis - 7, Not really at fault for either goal, made some great saves especially the one in the first half from the free kick.

Murty - 7, Was having an excellent game until he was forced off through injury. As soon as he went off the difference was noticeable straight away. Hope he's not out for a long time, going to be a big loss.

Thomas - 6, Was having a decent game but the 1st goal was down to him messing around with the ball & not clearing it.

Perry - 6.5, Played well but his age caught up with him in the end. Invaluable experience tho.

Harding - 8.5, Superb game once again & my MOTM, solid defending & excellent going forward. Some of the crosses he put in during the first half deserved somebody on the end of to put the ball in the net. Why a championship club didn't snap him up before us is beyond me.

Mellis - 6.5, Had a decent game, obvious potential there but too lightweight at times. Unlucky not to put us 2 up.

James - 6.5, Was having a very good game at CM but he just is not a right back.

Wotton - 6.5, After his woeful performance at Swindon, thought he had one of his better games tonight.

Lallana - 8, Played very well linking up with Harding on left & scored a peach of a goal. More of the same please Adam.

Lambert - 7, Good game, held the ball up really well bringing others into the play, could have done better to get on the end of some of the crosses Harding was putting in tho.

Saganowski - 7, Thought he had a really good game, always chasing down their players & tracking back, quite why some idiots behind me were slagging him off i've no idea after the work rate he put in last night.

Subs

Gillett - 6, Did ok when he came on.

Schneiderlin & Paterson came on too late to make much of an impact.

If we can show the same sort of application, running & effort for the rest of the season then we'll be fine.

Davis 8 Fantastic as usual. With the shortage of English keepers I reckon he would be in the world cup squad at a premiership team.

Harding 7 Looked good defensively and linked up well with Lallana

Murty 7 Great organisation of the defence

Perry 7 Did not really notice him which means no obvious mistakes

Thomas 7 Won most things in the air, shame about the first goal

Wotton 8 I am one of his biggest critics but I thought he played well,he won a lot of in the air and passsing was better than usual

James 7 Some nice passes and a great turn in the second half to set up Lallana for a great chance

Melis 8 Skillfull and got stuck in

Lallana 9 Some great turns and passing and linked up well with Harding was Man of the Match even without of the goal

Lambert 6 Started well but faded and drifted out of the game

Saga 6 Ran about a bit achieved little

As strange as it may seem, I haven't really got a problem with Thomas playing in this division as I think you need a bit of unsophisticated brawn and muscle at the back.

Haven't seen the new guy, so if he's not of a similar mold, then I am OK with Thomas getting a game.

In the 2nd half, he looked slow with poor decision making. Perry may be slow, but he has got a good football brain which helps him read the game. Thomas was the one negative in the game IMO and his errors directly affected both goals.

An excellent performance against a very strong Brum side filled with Internationals.

I would imagine Pards will focus heavily on those facts and get across to the team - " See - Look what we can do" !

Worth a tenner and a very timely match to instill some much needed confidence into the squad.

I wonder what we could have done if Hammond and Trotman were available to play too as Thomas was our weak spot.

Difficult game to read as Birmingham didn't turn up for the first half so we could play passy-passy all evening without much fear of losing the ball even if we didn't quite know what to do with it when we had it. As usual 'though lots of hustle and bustle about Saints play without much end product. Harding was like a statue all night, why is he so effing lazy. I thought he should have been taken off before half-time but Paterson is no good anyway so I suppose AP knew we had nobody better to bring on. Saga was immense and deserved a goal and yes, the cynics will say he played for a transfer but if he stays and shows this form surely goals will come from him.

Overall as one who did bother to turn up!

Davies 7 Solid rather than spectacular

Murty 9 Held it all together. Disaster for Saints when he was carried off. 90% of the team!

Thomas 5 Give me strength!

Perry 7 Never gives up

Harding 8 Great going forward and linking with James and Lallana

James 7 In and out. Good at wing-half. Lost at right-back

Wotton 6 OK for 25 minutes then increasigly erratic

Mellis 7 Good touches early on but faded

Lallana 9 For once lived up to the hype, at last! Superb goal.

Saga 8 Never stopped trying and looked class against this level of opposition

Lambert 6 £1m quid? For what? Clueless and out of his depth against this defence; so lazy it can't be true. Boot up the Jacksie needed AP!

PS I meant Lambert was lazy not Harding as in my review above

Are you blind? He won everything in the air...he was that lazy they had to bring 2 players to mark him!

His through ball to Paterson was superb....what is this fixation some have with headless chickens.

The bloke leads the line superbly and links up play and brings others into the game.

Football is a game of opinions jeesh but how you come to that conclusion totally baffles me!

Are you blind? He won everything in the air...he was that lazy they had to bring 2 players to mark him!

His through ball to Paterson was superb....what is this fixation some have with headless chickens.

The bloke leads the line superbly and links up play and brings others into the game.

Football is a game of opinions jeesh but how you come to that conclusion totally baffles me!

Yes I thought lambert was good but had no pace

Lambert 6 £1m quid? For what? Clueless and out of his depth against this defence; so lazy it can't be true. Boot up the Jacksie needed AP!

God ppl, on this forum are clueless, if u actualy watched the game u wud c tht he won every ball in the air and was playing brilliant balls into saga lallana and mellis. 6 lol, thts a joke

Yes I thought lambert was good but had no pace

No he does not have blistering pace but he was hampered after getting injured being lazy where he chased back 20 yards to try and retrieve a pass from a colleague that was intercepted.

It looked like he jarred his thigh muscle.

Bring back Brett Ormerod...who needs a 20 goal a season striker when we can have players chase all over the pitch with bugger all quality.

In the 2nd half, he looked slow with poor decision making. Perry may be slow, but he has got a good football brain which helps him read the game. Thomas was the one negative in the game IMO and his errors directly affected both goals.

I totally agree he's prone to mistakes (and I attributed one of them to them scoring), just think in these lower leagues you need some brawn and muscle.

He's no gifted, accomplished and sophisticated player, but you have to remember we are potentially in a Division Three relegation battle and for all his shortcomings I would be up for him kicking some ar5e during matches.

What's the new guy like????

Would have to agree with you in that Lambert looked a very good player (relative to this division of course).

Big, mobile and fairly sharp. A friend described him to me as a James Beattie type of player and I think that's a pretty good description.

northam made plenty of noise, but please explain to me the following;

"small town in villa" no such place

"dirty northern bastards" birmingham may be to the north of us but they aren't northern

"premier league, you're having a laff" first sung with irony by united fans against rangers, at 3-0 up, and working through the leagues, right down to unibond.

"going down with the pompey" gee, there was only ever to be one response from the brummies there. cringeworthy

etc etc etc:rolleyes:

indeed..brett ormerod is probably much better than lambert...

:rolleyes:

I totally agree he's prone to mistakes (and I attributed one of them to them scoring), just think in these lower leagues you need some brawn and muscle.

He's no gifted, accomplished and sophisticated player, but you have to remember we are potentially in a Division Three relegation battle and for all his shortcomings I would be up for him kicking some ar5e during matches.

What's the new guy like????[/QUOTE]

Trotman looked good last weekend.

Big lad but with a good turn of pace and sound positional sense.

A Trotman/Jaidi partnership would be excellent for us.

Thought I was watching Brazil :)

really big improvement and enjoyable match despite the ending.

The left side was great Harding - James - Lallana, what great moves and great opportunities created.

Hope Murty is OK, the hole he left was used straight away by Birmingham.

very strong chanting from Northam, well done. I still don't understand why the stewards try to make you sit down in that area. What a waste of man power... tough job for the stewards. Maybe should think about a all seater stadium but with optional seating in zones like the northam where you should expect to stand or if you want to seat you get to a different stand.

all the best

It looked like somebody has spelt it out to Lallana. He was pretty good last night when it came to providing width. By drifting out to the touchline he gave himself more room to play and was more effective defensively.

It was by far his best all round display for Saints, it has been a long time in coming and up to now he hasn't deserved a place in the team.

Because of his discipline in maintaining our width down the left, and the consequent cutting edge I give him man of the match. He now has to bring this to every match.

Mellis was not bad but was a bit narrow, Pardew was gesturing to him to get wide but he wasn't taking notice, I suspect if he plays there again he will be wider.

With the extra width we looked a much better side.

and there's me thinking that our goal scorer was one A. Lallana.

Far too many on here lacking patience with the lad.

Edited by Chez

and there's me thinking that our goal scorer was one A. Lallana.

Far too many on here lacking patience with the lad.

To be fair he has tested our patience the lad has talent and we havent been getting the best out of him he was pants against Brentford but superb last nite and that is annoying when you know he can produce but dosent week in week out.

He showed some great touches and skill quick feet and great goal if this Lallana turns up more often than not i will be thrilled but before last nite I thought we should drop him.

AP must have faith in him and if he can learn to couple end product and final ball with his outstanding ability we will have a great player

I take everything back of what I've said about James as a CM. He was terrific. Just think of it: Our centre midfield of Wotton and James bossed a premier side!

Lallana was a revelation. Thomas stepped up to the plate and Wotton actually had a good game. It was the best team performance I have seen for a very long time, I can't really remember when. AP very clearly knows what he is doing, and at this level of performance I have no worries about the future.

The only disappointment to me was Mellis. He showed that he could play, but drifted in an out of the game, increasingly out. Maybe he is very low on confidence, or he doesn't want to be at the club. I don't know, but there is room in my mind for finding at least one pacy, rightsided player. One who can keep it simple and wide. But don't believe for a second that I'm complaining about yesterday. I went home with a smile on my face.

It looked like somebody has spelt it out to Lallana. He was pretty good last night when it came to providing width. By drifting out to the touchline he gave himself more room to play and was more effective defensively.

It was by far his best all round display for Saints, it has been a long time in coming and up to now he hasn't deserved a place in the team.

Because of his discipline in maintaining our width down the left, and the consequent cutting edge I give him man of the match. He now has to bring this to every match.

Mellis was not bad but was a bit narrow, Pardew was gesturing to him to get wide but he wasn't taking notice, I suspect if he plays there again he will be wider.

With the extra width we looked a much better side.

Fecking hell Derry were you on the vodka last night you actually nearly praised Lallana,and some how i dont think anybody spelt anything out to him last night unless one of your team talks was sent into the changing room.LOL