• Perry
    • Harding
    • Mellis
    • Murty
    • Wotton
    • Lallana
    • Lambert
    • Saganowski

Sounded like a much more promising performance - and let's not forget we were up against a Premier League team. A disappointing result, given we were in front, but things are still moving in the right direction. Such a shame about Murty - hopefully not long term, but not looking good.

Also, 3rd highest gate of the night, behind West Ham and Leeds. Would it be rude to mention we also got almost 5k more than the Blue Few down the road too...?!

Just back from the match.

Well, I was generally proud of the lads tonight. Up until the 70th minute or so, an independent observer would have reckoned that we were the Premiership side and they two divisions below.

For once this season, we showed some real desire and were most often first to the fifty fifty balls. It was us closing down and denying them the space, but also playing a good passing game with a bit of width for once. The trouble with us though, is that having scored, we seem to forget to close down and don't seem to have the same desire to win those fifty fifty balls to the same extent.

I suspect that McLeish read his players the riot act at halftime and told them to get stuck in, as the tackles went flying in on our players, many of them dirty. The referee failed to stamp down on it. When they clobbered Murty, our defensive discipline crumbled. I am certain that he had been instrumental in marshalling the defence in the first half and it was solid. The defensive errors for their two goals were crass.

Man of the match for me again was Harding, although Murty would have run him hard had he stayed on for the whole match. Most of the team played well, Saga was effective alongside Lambert, Lallana better, Gobern looked lively, Davis as solid and reliable as ever. Nice to see Gillett as a sub, typically gave everything when he came on. If I had any criticism, it would be with the two centre backs. In particular a weak Thomas clearance led to their first goal, although as it came from the right flank, I even feel that Murty might have prevented it had he not been off. The injury looks serious and we will surely miss him badly if he is out for long.

As for the crowd, very good atmosphere tonight, good support throughout, even when they equalised and then went ahead.

Just home a good all round display tonight, KD pulled off a number of great saves AL took his goal well. We created a number of good chances TBH the score could have been 4 - 4, we should have had one pen (don't mention the ref crap). Lets hope Murty is not to bad IMO his injury turned the game.

just back, side played very well - balanced and hard working.

All defence and midfield played well, forwards worked hard but not that threatening.

Murty was in agony when he went off and looked bad.

Honestly believe if not for upset of seeing that, and then the enforced change we would have won.

Outplayed a prem side, who were up for it, all over park.

The chelsea lad looked very sharp in first half - good touch.

Harding excellent.

Lallana, Thomas, Murty, Perry, James all pretty good. Wooton played a lot better than normal

brilliant performance given the gulf between the two sides in league posistions. Apart from a funny 5 mins where we conceded two, Saints were much the better side. Fingers crossed for Murty, he looked to be in agony. MOTM Lallana and harding, FANTASTIC partnership down the right!!

Just back from the match.

Well, I was generally proud of the lads tonight. Up until the 70th minute or so, an independent observer would have reckoned that we were the Premiership side and they two divisions below.

For once this season, we showed some real desire and were most often first to the fifty fifty balls. It was us closing down and denying them the space, but also playing a good passing game with a bit of width for once. The trouble with us though, is that having scored, we seem to forget to close down and don't seem to have the same desire to win those fifty fifty balls to the same extent.

I suspect that McLeish read his players the riot act at halftime and told them to get stuck in, as the tackles went flying in on our players, many of them dirty. The referee failed to stamp down on it. When they clobbered Murty, our defensive discipline crumbled. I am certain that he had been instrumental in marshalling the defence in the first half and it was solid. The defensive errors for their two goals were crass.

Man of the match for me again was Harding, although Murty would have run him hard had he stayed on for the whole match. Most of the team played well, Saga was effective alongside Lambert, Lallana better, Gobern looked lively, Davis as solid and reliable as ever. Nice to see Gillett as a sub, typically gave everything when he came on. If I had any criticism, it would be with the two centre backs. In particular a weak Thomas clearance led to their first goal, although as it came from the right flank, I even feel that Murty might have prevented it had he not been off. The injury looks serious and we will surely miss him badly if he is out for long.

As for the crowd, very good atmosphere tonight, good support throughout, even when they equalised and then went ahead.

as unused sub?:confused:

That was some of the finest football I have seen at SMS for quite some time.

Lambert was awesome and won everything in the air thy ended up putting Carsley and the great big defender on him and he still gave them a hard time.

We just couldnt get that second goal that we needed.

It looked a stonewall penalty first half not given by the shocking ref. If he had been consistent Murty wouldnt of got injured because Lalana got done on the touchline and he ignored it and Brum got the corner and it was from that he got injured.

We bossed the game for 75 minutes and were quality all over.

One sloppy pass from Thomas to Gillett and we got punished.

Ok we lost but can go home tonight with heads held high.

Saga chased and chased and gave their defence a tough time, Melis looked far better on the right, Harding had another good display.

loads of positives from the game - we need to follow this up with 3 points on Saturday.

Lalana had his best game in ages tonight.

brilliant performance given the gulf between the two sides in league posistions. Apart from a funny 5 mins where we conceded two, Saints were much the better side. Fingers crossed for Murty, he looked to be in agony. MOTM Lallana and harding, FANTASTIC partnership down the right!!

Agree with all of that - KD was also on great form and had 2 or 3 fantastic saves.

Anyone else think Lambert looked a bit sluggish or maybe even injured?

Also, did anyone see any CCC / Prem scouts in the crowd? Seems Saga played his heart out :)

Not at all surprised...actually more surprised that we took the lead and played well for long periods..........

Let's hope the lads can take this on now to Saturday and start getting stuck into that 8 point deficit before it becomes a noose around our necks!

I think we'll be a hard team to beat at SMS this season and that could be the key to our survival.

That was some of the finest football I have seen at SMS for quite some time.

Lambert was awesome and won everything in the air thy ended up putting Carsley and the great big defender on him and he still gave them a hard time.

We just couldnt get that second goal that we needed.

It looked a stonewall penalty first half not given by the shocking ref. If he had been consistent Murty wouldnt of got injured because Lalana got done on the touchline and he ignored it and Brum got the corner and it was from that he got injured.

We bossed the game for 75 minutes and were quality all over.

One sloppy pass from Thomas to Gillett and we got punished.Ok we lost but can go home tonight with heads held high.

Saga chased and chased and gave their defence a tough time, Melis looked far better on the right, Harding had another good display.

loads of positives from the game - we need to follow this up with 3 points on Saturday.

Lalana had his best game in ages tonight.

I don't want to put a dampner on what sounds like a good show, but it is this inability to concentrate that is the difference between success and failure in sport.

What cost the Aussies the Ashes? Potentially one moment of inattention from Hussey and Ponting...

If you watch the big teams and the big players, the focus is what marks them apart. I would have our entire squad on omega 3 oil.

as unused sub?:confused:

It must have been Jacob Mellis, then. Tall, slim coloured guy, looks quite similar to Gobern doesn't he? My eyes aren't what they used to be high up in the Northam and it is taking a while to get to know these new players by sight. Anyway, he was useful on the right wing and often gave a bit of extra width for a change.

Looked really good tonight, Murty going off injured definetely a turning point.

He was superb along with Saga, Lambert, Lallana and Lloyd James (Especially when he was in centre mid!).

Murty gives us natural width as well as experience and being a natural full back and leader. We will miss him so hopefully he's not out for too long.

Just back also and am very proud of the team. The best display of football from us i have seen in a very longtime. We deserved to win the game, anyone would of thought we were the Prem team.

Mellis i thought in the first half was superb, was trying to get forward and did some silky slim dribbling skills. He even got in and did some tackling. 2nd half he looked shattered but he can hold his head up.

Lallana i also felt did very well not only with the goal but with some runs. Hopefully he can take some confidence from that and go on to be more consistent.

The ref was a total mong and showed bigtime biasedness towards Birmingham. We should of had a penalty and they should of had a guy sent off. All the 50-50's went their way and i would say even the 40-60's went their way. Was rubbish.

I felt the team was doing very well but soon as Murty was injured it sort of created problems for us. To be fair to James he was doing okay in midfield and had run a fair bit so dropping back into defence around the 75 mark was always going to be tough. We never really coped with it after that and became our own worst enemy. Their goals should of been prevented but overall cannot fault any of the players, they all tried their best. Wotten did okay but once again see him as a weak point in the team.

Perry also did well but sometimes he struggled to keep up with the play.

Overall very happy and am sure if our team can play like that week after week we will deffinatly be fighting for promotion. A few signings and we can do ok.

Motm is hard to pick as i felt Harding,Murty,Lallana and Thomas did excellent. But im giving it to Mellis simply because he ran his ass off and looked the bright spark for the first half and a bit of the second. His attitude was spot on and is a fine example of the players we needed. Harding,Mellis,Murty all showed that today. Hope Murty is not out for long!

Best £8 I've spent in a long time. Just hoping Murty isn't too badly hurt. Couldn't see a great deal from the Chapel but I noticed that the doctor came on pretty quickly and they stretchered him straight out one of the exits, instead of down the tunnel. Didn't look good.

We certainly weren't disgraced. For 75 minutes we were absolutely in the game and two similar goals (midfielder sneaking into the box not picked up) scuppered us. Man of the match for me was Lambert, who won everything in the air and didn't give them a minute's peace. To give him credit, Lloyd James had a decent game when in the centre of midfield, but he'll be shoved in at full-back, alas, if Murty is as badly hurt as feared. That injury is by far the worst part of this evening's game. If we can take tonight's performance forward to Saturday though, we'll probably win.

Yep, Wotton had his best game for us, Lallana his best for 9 months, Saga best game for even longer. Ref worst game!!! Lambert looked a div 1 players except for the lovely touch for Mellis just before they scored. Harding continues to look good. Hope Murty is ok, Lloyd James played well, Davis some good saves. Enjoyed the match, looking forward to the time when we can score a second goal and kills things off.

Really enjoyed tonights game, despite the result. I can only repeat whats already been said here, that Murty going off changed the game, and like any composed team, Brum took advantage of that. Signs are good we're turning a corner.

Easily IMO the best performance this season and the most enjoyable I have seen for some time. After Saturday James had his own thread dedicated to slagging him off so I think he deserves a big mention, my MOTM whilst in central midfield (shame he's not on the list so I cannot vote for him) but I could also argue a case for a few others. Lambert wins just about everything in the air and the sooner players realise this and gamble on his flick ons the better. I agree that Murty's injury disrupted us but I also think a we ran out of steam in the last 20 however I can forgive that us they were so impressive before that.

Oh, and special mention of Lallana tonight who played the best I've seen him play, particularly his tracking back and tackling... and a superb finish for the goal

Agree, Lallana was fantastic tonight. Seems to have added strength to his skill - wasn't knocked off the ball nearly so easily as last season. Much more optimistic after tonight.

What's all the fuss been about????;)

A really good performance with a number of very good individual performances. There is no way a neutral would have thought we were two divisions apart.

Dominated large periods of the game and much to praise tonight.

Scores on the doors:

KD - 8 - some good saves

Murty - 8 - Solid and dependable

Perry - 7 - Faded towards the end, but still a good performance

Thomas - 7 - Nothing sophisticated, but put himself about. Sold Gillet short somewhat for one of their goals (I think)

Harding - 8 - Liked the look of him

Melias - 7 - A bit lightweight, but showed some skill

Wotton - 6 - Didn't relly see him much

James - 6 - As Wotton

Lallana - 9 - For someone who I thought had underperformed last season (and others had the same this season) I thought he was magnificent. Some sublime touches and a great finish

Saga - 8 - Good movement and skill

Lambert - 8 - Liked what I saw of him tonight

Subs:

Gillett - 6 - Game seemed to pass him by

Paterson - 6 - Not sure he did much

Scheiderlin - 6 - Didn't make an impact

Very good atmosphere and good support which I thought was a direct result of the effort given by the players.

If we play like that, then we will be OK.

Glad there are mostly positives on here tonight. One idiot behind me booed at the final whistle at the players. :rolleyessmileything:

We played really well and we probably deserved better than that tonight. Yes I agree with the fella who said Wotton played well, and Lallana was my man of the match. Some of his turns tonight were fantastic to watch.

Super Kelv made some outstanding saves yet again, and Dan Harding is proving to be a quality signing.

Terrible for Murty and for Saints that he picked up an injury which looks very serious. He was doing brilliantly until he got hurt, we look quite calm with him at the back.

If it wasn't for Thomas tonight being completely at fault for the first goal and possibly the second too, we might have won the game. He was the only poor performer tonight, well possibly Mellis too who showed tiny glimpses of promise but never delivered anything (unlucky not to have scored though, to be fair).

Best Saints performance I've seen for a long time.

Oh and how the F**K did we not get at least one penalty down the Northam end??? The first shout was bloody obvious!