Football League Show 27/02/10 & 13/03/10, It Seems

St Landrew

Steve Claridge made a very good point twice, after both sets of League One highlights, and that was that in any of the other leagues, where playoffs are contested, the teams under the top 7 would be well in contention if they had 40+ points. Not in League One though, as the top 7 seem to be pulling up the ladder behind them.

What it means is, if League One were running to average, Saints would be well in contention for playoff status, instead of struggling 17 points behind.

Saw that email - did you see skate Claridge shake his head on the monitor behind email girl as the comment about us poss going for play offs was being read out?

He really, really doesn't rate our chances.

Can't stand that show some times - how can our match and those goals come so far down the running order?!!

I can't believe that we don't get any talk time after the highlights again, that's two weeks in a row we've had arguably the best result of the day and yet they don't want to talk about it. Maybe late kick off might have a bit more on monday night.

Tbf, they've talked about us quite a few times over the season, although it is a tad baffling we don't the tiniest mention after a 5-1 result.

Steve Claridge made a very good point twice, after both sets of League One highlights, and that was that in any of the other leagues, where playoffs are contested, the teams under the top 7 would be well in contention if they had 40+ points. Not in League One though, as the top 7 seem to be pulling up the ladder behind them.

What it means is, if League One were running to average, Saints would be well in contention for playoff status, instead of struggling 17 points behind.

Yep I picked up on that. I hope NC was watching might give him (and some of our own fans) puase for thought.

Tbf, they've talked about us quite a few times over the season, although it is a tad baffling we don't the tiniest mention after a 5-1 result.

Not when it is the BBC you are talking about ! Their highlight programmes ( including MOTD) are better than nothing but no more.

Saw that email - did you see skate Claridge shake his head on the monitor behind email girl as the comment about us poss going for play offs was being read out?

Can't stand that show some times - how can our match and those goals come so far down the running order?!!

In fairness I have to agree with him. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind, but I think it's just to much to do this season. Playoffs or not I haven't enjoyed a season this much in years.

In fairness I have to agree with him. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind, but I think it's just to much to do this season. Playoffs or not I haven't enjoyed a season this much in years.

Same. I would love to see us do it but I just can't see it. And if I were a non SFC fan, I wouldn't think we had a hope in hell!

Like you said, despite that, what a cracking season! I've had a lot of fun already!

Same. I would love to see us do it but I just can't see it. And if I were a non SFC fan, I wouldn't think we had a hope in hell!

Like you said, despite that, what a cracking season! I've had a lot of fun already!

Yes I can't help but think you're right, other fans must wonder what some SFC fans are on, when they hear our fans talking about the playoffs.

Claridges thoughts on us from his BBC Blog:

Steve, what are your thoughts on Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese putting pressure on manager Alan Pardew by saying results in League One have not been good enough?

Peter, England

There is no doubt Alan Pardew is under pressure. Southampton have spent an awful lot of money for a League One club and I expected them to be a lot closer to the play-offs than they are.

Leeds had a 15 point deduction in 2007/08 but were knocking on the door of the top two before losing in the play-offs. Compare that to Southampton who, even if you add the 10 points they were docked, are nine points off a play-off place this campaign.

Norwich 0-2 Southampton

But should Pardew's job be under threat? No, not this year. It's too early for him and them - he has only been there since the summer. It's not been a terrible season either; they are through to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final and you might be surprised how much that means to their fans.

Pardew has asked to be judged after 18 months and that is only fair. But, if that is the case, then they have got to be going for the top two next season whatever happens and the play-offs are the very least they should achieve, otherwise his job is in serious danger.

When you spend the money he has, you have to accept the pressure that goes with it because people, rightly, expect a return.

But I'm not totally sure whether Alan will get it right. He did well at Reading and West Ham but was effectively relegated twice with Charlton and has a lot to prove again now. It will be interesting to see where he and Southampton are in a year's time.

Steve Claridge in realistic assessment of our play-off chances shocker :)

As the man said, it is 6 from 7, and we ain't #7

Even without the 10 points deduction Saints would be 7 points below 6th place and although they have two games in hand, those are games not points. For anyone not focused as closely on our team and the poor start, as we fans are, the evidence is that the top teams have pulled clear from the pack.

The season is now two thirds gone and saints are 17 points away from 6th place. For that gap to close not only have Saints got to improve on recent performance, which are actually quite good anyway, but teams in the top six have got to drop more points than they have been. If Saints finish 5 or 6 points below 6th place, that may be about as good as we can hope for.

• 2 weeks later...
F*cking BBC, lost the signal just before the first League one round up came on, and didn't get it back until just before the second part of the round up was shown. Did this happen to anyone else? Did they actually say anything about Saints.

Other channels were fine btw.

Should have go hold of your remote and switched from Sky feed to digital or analog TV no probs there.............................. how the **** that second goal was chalked off beggars belief!!!

F*cking BBC, lost the signal just before the first League one round up came on, and didn't get it back until just before the second part of the round up was shown. Did this happen to anyone else? Did they actually say anything about Saints.

Same here, caught the end of Grayson and that was it. DISGRACE!

Yes same here. Been at work and stayed up to watch it despite being completely knackered...only to miss the one match I really gave a chuff about! Still, I had £25 on us to win so not a total loss I s'pose. Will do battle with iplayer sometime tomorrow.

exactly the same here, lost it on sky after the championship e-mails, didnt get it back till carlisle vs colchester :mad: waited through all Motd and the fl show and this is the only match I miss! typical

He was only being honest - not biased. I don't rate our chances either - not because we are not good enough but we have simply left ourselves with too much to do. We will only reach the playoffs if a number of other teams screw up big time.

Well that wasn't worth staying up for. Nice goal though. The disallowed goal is a perfectly good one, in my book. Only the ref saw that one, I feel. I'll have another look when the extended highlights [probably more Simon Grayson] get on the BBC Saints webpage. But to my mind, TT was right. 2-0.

Sorry, but IMO the ref was right to disallow Jaidi's 'goal'. Not for anything Jaidi did but because of the off-the-ball foul by the Saints' player ahead of him who brought a Leeds' defender down inside the goal area and which opened the route to gaol for Jaidi's strike. Didn't notice during the game and couldn't see on BBCi Player who it was, possibly Morgan, but not sure.

Sorry, but IMO the ref was right to disallow Jaidi's 'goal'. Not for anything Jaidi did but because of the off-the-ball foul by the Saints' player ahead of him who brought a Leeds' defender down inside the goal area and which opened the route to gaol for Jaidi's strike. Didn't notice during the game and couldn't see on BBCi Player who it was, possibly Morgan, but not sure.

So you ignore all what was happening to Fonte??

I think that you must have the wrong incident. I have watched it on iplayer and there is no off the ball foul.

There really is nothing to apologise for, as you are clearly wrong. It is the referee who ought to apologise, as he is undoubtedly the most incompetent referee that I have seen in this division and that is quite an achievement.

Photos of the incident quite clearly illustrate that it was Fonte who was fouled in the box, so that if the goal did not stand, then he should have blown for a penalty.

But as he also didn't send off their player for his assault on Harding, then his lack of balls or judgement are not surprising. Or did you think that was Harding's fault?

Completely wrong. Look on the thread about the ref, the pics show clearly that Becchio has Fonte in a stranglehold.

Stupid Sky HD box - thought we were going mad this morning when we watched the League show back. Took us 20 minutes to figure out that just before the Norwich match was shown our Sky box skipped that game and the Saints game and straight onto the Brighton one -grrr.

Ours did the same! Sounds like we didn't miss much anyway.

For a game like Southampton v Leeds to have 20 seconds of highlights is just stupid.