Another manager with questionable ambition ?

alpine_saint

Think the article is a bit more balanced then you are trying to make out

"He said: “I want to get in the play-offs and I feel this team can get promoted – there is no doubt in my mind about that. "

Fair comment surely ? I'd call that ambitous wouldn't you ?

I think that AP is spot on. I think that some fans have "questionable ambition". At the beginning if this season, most people said that with the 10 point deduction, they would be happy with a mid-table position and a team built for promotion next season. Instead, we have a Wembley final, an outside chance of the play-offs, and probably the best squad in our division, and this is still not enough for some people. Anyone remember what happened to Derby when they were promoted before they were ready?? Let`s enjoy what we HAVE achieved and look forward to next season. It should be a cracker!!

Maybe I am old school, but to me even talking about the possibility of failure makes it more likely to happen.

maybe managerial mind games - taking pressure of players so they can continue to go out and hopefully produce level of football that they have done in last couple of games without having to worry about failure. Sort of thing that at some stage Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson etc.. have done in the past.

I don't know really, but would rather be glass half full then empty at moment - as quoted he does also talk about the possibility of success - does talking about that make it more likely to happen :)

He'd be seen as a bit of a loon if he said "Of course we'll make the play offs. We'll win every game and get promoted. It's fact".

Why must everything be stated in absolutes ? There is a middle ground, and I recall making exactly the same point about Burley early in the playoff season. He could have said "we are only aiming for the playoffs, failure is not being considered". End of.

Burley nearly missed the playoffs because he only aimed for the playoffs to start with.

Just maybe, it's because, even if we win every game between now and the end of the season, it wouldn't guarantee a place in the playoffs. We need other teams to drop points iin order to make it!

Yes, but in that case we would have done everything we could on the run in, and it would have been out of our control. Discussing "what if" means a part of ones mind is preparing for it.

As many have said, so long we end up within 10points of the playoff places, AP would have won a moral victory. But with a little more determination the outcome could be a whole lot better.

Why must everything be stated in absolutes ? There is a middle ground, and I recall making exactly the same point about Burley early in the playoff season. He could have said "we are only aiming for the playoffs, failure is not being considered". End of.

Burley nearly missed the playoffs because he only aimed for the playoffs to start with.

Like this.....

"I want to get in the play-offs and I feel this team can get promoted – there is no doubt in my mind about that" ??

its a shame some of your previous posts didnt follow the same logic.

its a shame some of your previous posts didnt follow the same logic.

OK, tell me where I have demanded Pardew be fired, even once. I have always maintained he be given until Xmas. I find the accusation of being absolutist completely ridiculous. All I have done is express concern about progress and wondered how NC views it.

Maybe I am old school, but to me even talking about the possibility of failure makes it more likely to happen.

OK, tell me where I have demanded Pardew be fired, even once. I have always maintained he be given until Xmas. I find the accusation of being absolutist completely ridiculous. All I have done is express concern about progress and wondered how NC views it.

Anyone spot the contradiction here? Of course you'll say as a fan you're allowed to express opinions of a negative nature whereas Pardew should not.

Anyway didn't you give up on the playoffs after the Exeter game? Surely anything close to playoff position would be a bonus for you?

I dont know the merits of calling any saints fan a glory hunter, but seriously get a grip. I think any one with more than a single brain cell and any resemblance of an understanding of reality would have taken the season we have had.

A trip to Wembley and still a chance (albeit an outside one) of a play-off place. Most Importantly Pardew (unquestionably the right man for the job - ignore what stupid fans who seem to think we should be top of the league think, just look at what other managers and fans think he has done) has built a team that many think (myself included) could challenge in the league above.

Players have come here as they see this as a club pushing for a bright future. Players seen as the top players in both this division and that above have turned down other moves to come here. When in our recent history has that ever happened?

So to reiterate my initial point. Get a grip.

I can't see how anywhere in that interview he shows questionable ambition, it is a tough tough ask to make up that ground, he would be mental to turn around and say ok, we are not going to make it or to say we definately are.

He is saying that if we perform like this to the end of the season then ok, that will be a good effort.

Besides, he said earlier in the season that he was going for it but we had some poor results around christmas time. Therefore i see nothing wrong with what he said.

If we play like this until the end and don't make it i will be chuffed and expectant next year, if we do make it that would be amazing.

Oh and cheers for gingeletiss for once again adding absolutely nothing to another thread.

I can't see how anywhere in that interview he shows questionable ambition, it is a tough tough ask to make up that ground, he would be mental to turn around and say ok, we are not going to make it or to say we definately are.

He is saying that if we perform like this to the end of the season then ok, that will be a good effort.

Besides, he said earlier in the season that he was going for it but we had some poor results around christmas time. Therefore i see nothing wrong with what he said.

If we play like this until the end and don't make it i will be chuffed and expectant next year, if we do make it that would be amazing.

Oh and cheers for gingeletiss for once again adding absolutely nothing to another thread.

TBh, it`s a good suggestion

To be fare I think Alpine posts half of these just to get a reaction.

The whole interview is on saints player. Pardew says it wouldn't do the young players any harm to have another 12 months winning matches. Then we we go up, we not only have players a year older, we have players with 18 months of winning games behind them. He talks about momentum and I for one agree with him.

I dont know the merits of calling any saints fan a glory hunter, but seriously get a grip. I think any one with more than a single brain cell and any resemblance of an understanding of reality would have taken the season we have had.

A trip to Wembley and still a chance (albeit an outside one) of a play-off place. Most Importantly Pardew (unquestionably the right man for the job - ignore what stupid fans who seem to think we should be top of the league think, just look at what other managers and fans think he has done) has built a team that many think (myself included) could challenge in the league above.

Players have come here as they see this as a club pushing for a bright future. Players seen as the top players in both this division and that above have turned down other moves to come here. When in our recent history has that ever happened?

So to reiterate my initial point. Get a grip.

Wow. Arrogance and lack of ambition rolled into one post. What an exotic combination.

To be fare I think Alpine posts half of these just to get a reaction.

The whole interview is on saints player. Pardew says it wouldn't do the young players any harm to have another 12 months winning matches. Then we we go up, we not only have players a year older, we have players with 18 months of winning games behind them. He talks about momentum and I for one agree with him.

No I posted this because I think the overall message is odd.

Loads of people wrote on here last week that our first 11 over the last couple of weeks are mid-to-top CCC standard. So what's the positives in holding them back for another season ? In fact, we may even end up losing some of them in the trasnfer windows.

Remember that the common understanding is that Lallana came within a whisker of leaving last summer.

Alps - have you got Saints IPlayer thingy? If so log on and listen to the interview - the excerpt the echo have used is just a small part of a larger interview. I think you may view things a bit differently then.

I havent. If that is the case, that the Echo have paraphrased this to create a slightly more negative impression, and you view the interview as positive, fair enough.

I just get tired of hearing the zero-ambition "at least we still have our club" and "back when Lawrie was manager" tedious crap from the likes of SOGGY.

Wow. Arrogance and lack of ambition rolled into one post. What an exotic combination.

I choose to see it as a healthy grip on reality and patience. Something that clearly others don't posses.

The two also seem better suited than pessimism cynicism and ambition?

To want to see a club come from the brink, rebuild and have a chance of pushing back to what it once was is not a lack of ambition alpine. Its called realism. Id recommend a dose of it

I choose to see it as a healthy grip on reality and patience. Something that clearly others don't posses.

The two also seem better suited than pessimism cynicism and ambition?

To want to see a club come from the brink, rebuild and have a chance of pushing back to what it once was is not a lack of ambition alpine. Its called realism. Id recommend a dose of it

I want similar things for the club. I just think with the level of resources now available thanks to ML, there shouldnt be an element of "chance" about it at all..

Alpine the walking contradiction. You're so painfully transparent it's unbelievable. Twisting the argument to suit your own needs as ever. Your "need" of course being the need to undermine the current manager of SFC.

I always find it interesting to go back to this thread from October last year:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=463462#post463462

I voted 16th-18th.

Despite the obvious mis-firing of the team, I simply cannot foresee another relegation.

Amazing how quickly one can change their tune. Or maybe you are just so thick that you change your opinions on Saints based on the last two games form? This was after ten league games after all where we'd got off to a shocker. But now you staunchly believe we should be firing our way into the play-offs off the back of two impressive wins!

Now before you try wriggling of the hook using the excuse of "that was before we'd spent a wedge of money on players in January window" please try to remember we'd already signed Lambert, Jaidi, Harding, Papa Waigo and Hammond by this stage so it was pretty obvious the ambition was there and further spending was on the cards

Cue "media stoodent" retort or mock indignation...

I want similar things for the club. I just think with the level of resources now available thanks to ML, there shouldnt be an element of "chance" about it at all..

-10 and all the rebuilding required both on and off the pitch etc etc and don't forget the season didn't start till October :p

Old school or pre-school? AP is actualy being very positive, unlike you Alps. We have zero chance of making the play-offs this season, any chance evaporated during the Exeter game. People who still cling on to this myth that we can make it are in cloud cuckoo land, at least AP has not given up and is still pushing for it (seems clear to me deep down that he knows the chances are slim at best).

It would be good if you would stop slagging AP off at every opportunity. You were right with Burley, but you are so far wide of the mark with AP.

Alpine the walking contradiction. You're so painfully transparent it's unbelievable. Twisting the argument to suit your own needs as ever. Your "need" of course being the need to undermine the current manager of SFC.

I always find it interesting to go back to this thread from October last year:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=463462#post463462

Amazing how quickly one can change their tune. Or maybe you are just so thick that you change your opinions on Saints based on the last two games form? This was after ten league games after all where we'd got off to a shocker. But now you staunchly believe we should be firing our way into the play-offs off the back of two impressive wins!

Now before you try wriggling of the hook using the excuse of "that was before we'd spent a wedge of money on players in January window" please try to remember we'd already signed Lambert, Jaidi, Harding, Papa Waigo and Hammond by this stage so it was pretty obvious the ambition was there and further spending was on the cards

Cue "media stoodent" retort or mock indignation...

Clever post, that. Trying to invalidate any response I might try to offer by anticipating it and dismissing it in advance. Quite a trick they taught you on that course at the University of Some Old Polytechnic whilst going over old episodes of Rumpole of the Bailey....

So I'll do us both the favour of simply not bothering.

Old school or pre-school? AP is actualy being very positive, unlike you Alps. We have zero chance of making the play-offs this season, any chance evaporated during the Exeter game. People who still cling on to this myth that we can make it are in cloud cuckoo land, at least AP has not given up and is still pushing for it (seems clear to me deep down that he knows the chances are slim at best).

It would be good if you would stop slagging AP off at every opportunity. You were right with Burley, but you are so far wide of the mark with AP.

I still think if the right motivation is applied, the right teams sent out, and with a bit of luck especially with injuries, we can make the playoffs, but there is no margin for (managerial) error. If that makes me "cloud-cookoo", then so be it.

How that translates into negativity, I'll never know..

I think it is so refreshing to have a manager who is articulate, thoughtful, honest and forthright.

But so many supporters seem to prefer hearing a load of guff, or a bucket of cliches, or smart-aleck jokes.

I really appreciate hearing Pardew's opinions. They always make sense to me and they reflect the actual situation at the time they are given - not a load of meaningless drivel that tells you nothing.

I still think if the right motivation is applied, the right teams sent out, and with a bit of luck especially with injuries, we can make the playoffs, but there is no margin for (managerial) error. If that makes me "cloud-cookoo", then so be it.

How that translates into negativity, I'll never know..

Probably the negativity comes from the fact that you read an article where the manger said he believed team were good enough to make play offs and was still aiming to do so - but you chose to focus on the bit where he said - if they didn't etc..... and came up with a thread entitled 'Another manager with questionable ambition ?'

Probably the negativity comes from the fact that you read an article where the manger said he believed team were good enough to make play offs and was still aiming to do so - but you chose to focus on the bit where he said - if they didn't etc..... and came up with a thread entitled 'Another manager with questionable ambition ?'

I stand by that.

If he talks like that to the media, his players could be just that little bit less motivated.

I think it is so refreshing to have a manager who is articulate, thoughtful, honest and forthright.

But so many supporters seem to prefer hearing a load of guff, or a bucket of cliches, or smart-aleck jokes.

I really appreciate hearing Pardew's opinions. They always make sense to me and they reflect the actual situation at the time they are given - not a load of meaningless drivel that tells you nothing.

I agree with that. He doesnt come out with Burleyisms at least.

I stand by that.

If he talks like that to the media, his players could be just that little bit less motivated.

Fair enough.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I read one way you the other - lets hope the players follow my line and not yours ;)

I stand by that.

You don't think the players understand the difference between what Pardew says to them in the privacy of the dressing-room, or on the practice pitch, and what he says publicly to the media?