Back down to earth, but let's not lose our heads

Colinjb

After the joy of Sunday maybe we should have anticipated a 'poor' result against an in form and resilient Brighton team on their home turf, their windswept, furrowed turf.

What we couldn't anticipate is the shear amount of negativity the poor result can bring.

12 months ago today the club basically died. And to be where we are now is an absolute Miracle.

Avoid the wrist slashing, avoid the misplaced arrogance that we should be walking the league, appreciate that we have done superbly well, after no pre-season, and with still a rather shallow squad in one key area to be where we are.

Football is not a maths equation, it is not a case of pour in enough money and let the good times roll, if it was, Mark Hughes would have led Man City to the premier league in their first season under arabic ownership. It needs more, something often intangible to those on the outside looking in.

We are in a completely charmed position now. After 5 seasons of utter crap we have a bright future. Stay humble, dignified and patient and the good times are on their way back.

Hell, even Fergie had a few dogy YEARS before setting Man utd on course....

After the joy of Sunday maybe we should have anticipated a 'poor' result against an in form and resilient Brighton team on their home turf, their windswept, furrowed turf.

What we couldn't anticipate is the shear amount of negativity the poor result can bring.

12 months ago today the club basically died. And to be where we are now is an absolute Miracle.

Avoid the wrist slashing, avoid the misplaced arrogance that we should be walking the league, appreciate that we have done superbly well, after no pre-season, and with still a rather shallow squad in one key area to be where we are.

Football is not a maths equation, it is not a case of pour in enough money and let the good times roll, if it was, Mark Hughes would have led Man City to the premier league in their first season under arabic ownership. It needs more, something often intangible to those on the outside looking in.

We are in a completely charmed position now. After 5 seasons of utter crap we have a bright future. Stay humble, dignified and patient and the good times are on their way back.

Good post mate,sadly it will be lost on some of the looneys on here.

It's a good post colin, but unfortunately the world is impatient these days, and i include football chairman in that.

We are now expected to win every single game that we play, if we don't there seems to be a mass debate on how anyone else could have done a better job. Silly, but it's the way it is with modern football after spending some money.

But the fact is that 2-2, with an equalizer in the last minute, against an in-form Brighton team is actually a pretty decent result. Obviously it doesn't do anything for us this season, but under normal circumstances (i.e a fair season, without deductions) it could be a massive result.

At the start of the season a finish of between 8th-10th would have been more than acceptable and if we did a poll back then, i believe 99% of posters would also think the same. We have come a long way in a relatively short period of time. Tin pot trophy or not, we've just won our first silverware for decades - if that doesn't show some sort of progress to people, im not sure what will.

enjoy the ride people, nothing comes easy with saints.

Same old excuses and justifications for the lack of consistency and lack of ambition.

Same old excuses and justifications for the lack of consistency and lack of ambition.

Care to analyse and appraise rather then provide soundbites? As for a lack of ambition, pragmatism at a time of dissapointment is infinitely better then knee jerk wrist slashing ever will be.

Care to analyse and appraise rather then provide soundbites? As for a lack of ambition, pragmatism at a time of dissapointment is infinitely better then knee jerk wrist slashing ever will be.

You lecture me about soundbites ? The irony of it - your OP is FULL of them.

And you demonstrate their monumental levels of hypocrisy.

Please, Alpine, I do not understand why you feel the need to display such vitriol.

Yes, we lost ground, and I can forgive your emotion as a result. If you have issue with my post, by all means feel free to disect the points I made and find fault in them, I will be happy then on to provide a counter point. This is a forum, this is about opinion, it is about expression and opinion.

We are all on the same side, we have the same desire ultimately, to see this football club suceed. We are not enemies. So let's be adult about this shall we?

Please, Alpine, I do not understand why you feel the need to display such vitriol.

Yes, we lost, and I can forgive your emotion as a result. If you have issue with my post, by all means feel free to disect the points I made and find fault in them, I will be happy then on to provide a counter point. This is a forum, this is about opinion, it is about expression and opinion.

We are all on the same side, we have the same desire ultimately, to see this football club suceed. We are not enemies. So let's be adult about this shall we?

we didn't lose believe it or not, but boy doesn't reading alpines posts make you think we have.

Yes, we lost ground, and I can forgive your emotion as a result. If you have issue with my post, by all means feel free to disect the points I made and find fault in them, I will be happy then on to provide a counter point. This is a forum, this is about opinion, it is about expression and opinion.

I seem to recall it was you who dismissed the content of my post as "soundbites" first.

I seem to recall it was you who dismissed the content of my post as "soundbites" first.

You dismiss my comments as excuses and justifications. Please. Provide further insight I may be missing regarding your perspective.

And by all means, feel free to agree with me that we are all on the same side!!!

You dismiss my comments as excuses and justifications. Please. Provide further insight I may be missing regarding your perspective.

Almost every single one of those points you made as some sort of justification/explanation/excuse for what happened tonight has been utterly done-to-death on here following every sh*t result since last summer.

I agree we are all on the same side - even if it doesnt seem like it sometimes.

Almost every single one of those points you made as some sort of justification/explanation/excuse for what happened tonight has been utterly done-to-death on here following every sh*t result since last summer.

I agree we are all on the same side - even if it doesnt seem like it sometimes.

Sadly, by very definition a cliché exists because it is an overused facet of truth. I have reasons for my opinion as you do yours. Nonetheless we all want the best for Saints long term, lets see how it pans out and remember to have a sense of perspective in these matters. We all want it so much, but ultimately it is just football. Controversial statement though it is, there is more to life.

A

Will you be saying in 5 years time after any disappointing result, "6 years ago this club nearly died" etc etc.?

Broadly speaking i agree with the sentiment, but I'm already fed up with people saying it, and it is also a bit of an exaggeration, few clubs that go into admin go bust.

I recognize that you come from the evangelical wing of Saints fans, but do try to keep it in perspective.

Will you be saying in 5 years time after any disappointing result, "6 years ago this club nearly died" etc etc.?

Broadly speaking i agree with the sentiment, but I'm already fed up with people saying it, and it is also a bit of an exaggeration, few clubs that go into admin go bust.

I recognize that you come from the evangelical wing of Saints fans, but do try to keep it in perspective.

Never been called evangelical before! Thankyou? I guess? Better that then manically depressive.

Administration is life support, without it you die as you have stopped breathing already. I will not retract that perspective.

Ahem...A few of us did anticipate a poor result....check out the build-up thread... ;-)

We drew away from home, only 4 days after a big cup final, against the division's in-form team playing on a converted athletics field.

Is it me or is that a fairly good result :confused:

Nah we had a god given right to demolish the league's in-form team on their own patch.

One good thing, I can justify not being arsed to go to the game on Monday.

don't go then, if its just about winning God knows why you have stuck with SFC for so long, and if its just about winning then relocate to Salford or west London and if its just about winning then you're supporting the wrong club.

Sadly, by very definition a cliché exists because it is an overused facet of truth. I have reasons for my opinion as you do yours. Nonetheless we all want the best for Saints long term, lets see how it pans out and remember to have a sense of perspective in these matters. We all want it so much, but ultimately it is just football. Controversial statement though it is, there is more to life.

The problem is Colin IMO, that there are some Saints fans (I decline to call them supporters, unless they attend games) who judge the club, the team and the management only by the commentary on a single performance. This is their only perspective.

Compare that to someone who attends SMS regularly who sees - even feels - the difference in the atmosphere around the stadium. A person who actually enjoys watching the football, primarily because there's some hope, but also because there's 1 or more heroes in the team. There's some interesting aspects to the make-up of the team - i.e. Papa Waigo. I could go on.

You need to BE A PART of the whole experience to KNOW IN YOUR HEART that this season is SO different to the last 5-6 years - so much so that there is hope and enjoyment now.

But none of that will stop us losing (or indeed drawing) games - it happens to the best of 'em. The one thing that will allow us to progress is stability and consistency - attributes that will not surface if we sack our manager after one season.

Administration is life support, without it you die as you have stopped breathing already.

I'm inclined to disagree. In our case, administration was a case of removing a growth. Not life threatening but something that needed to happen to allow the 'body' to cleanse itself and regenerate good cells.

Never been called evangelical before! Thankyou? I guess? Better that then manically depressive.

Administration is life support, without it you die as you have stopped breathing already. I will not retract that perspective.

And let us not forget that admin came after a year - a full year - of being stripped of talented players in favour of kids and untalented journeymen selected because of their cost rather than their ability (Pulis, Forecast, etc.) and a season of losing to everyone and their dog. That after another season of struggle with three (or was it four?) management teams and again a hotchpotch of different manager's players. Even our failed playoff bid was characterised by a team who couldn't really maintain any consistency in performance or team selection. Before that we've had a first season in the Championship which showed not the slightest aptitude for promotion, hot on the heels from relegation from the Premiership with a mixture of decent players (who all left once we got relegated) and a few laughably untalented Nd overpaid squad players who we had to basically give away just to get rid of them.

Admin isn't death but it is indeed life support and for us it comes after a 4 year battle against a debilitating illness. So, yes, I am prepared for things to take time.

All this impatience for success may seem very admirable and I'm sure it comforts some of you to consider yourselves as the lone voices of ambition and desire at the club but if you fail to properly acknowledge where we are and where we have come from and how little time it's taken to get here then you're really no better than the guy who leaves his house to rot around him for year after year, calls in the builders one day and then proceeds to run around the house after them making statements like "A real builder would have sorted that out", "This rising damp excuse is wearing a bit thin now" and "Why don't tradesmen have ambition any more"

Does your Avatar seriously have a striped guy ****ing on a traditional sash shirt?

No. It has a guy wearing our traditional shirt ****ing on a shirt we wore for one season so long ago no living person was alive to remember it.

And it's a guy wearing a shirt that I saw Saints wear when i first saw us play in the early 70's. And a guy wearing a shirt my old mum saw us play in the 50's; and a guy wearing a shirt my Grandfather first saw us wearing in the 30's.

And that guy is ****ing on a shirt some numbnut of a marketing manager thougt he could fool Saints fans buying in big quantities because it's our 125th year. Answer your question?

I expected the doom and gloom as that is always the case on this forum. But considering Saints have just won a trophy and taken circa 50k fans to Wembley and can still make the play offs is it not a little unjustified? The season isnt over. Even if Saints narrowly miss out on the playoffs I think most reasonable Saints fans would have settled for some silverware and a top half finish when the season started on -10.

I don't think we will make the playoffs and more importantly I don't think the players do either.

The remaining games are our pre-pre season. Time to experiment. Build on our strengths and sort out our weaknesses. We have time to do it so that we can make a stroming start in August and September.

I am optimistic !!!!

I really don't understand why people are asking for AP to be axed, these people know nothing about football

he's just lead us to our first piece of silverware in many years and we're still in with a shout of making the playoffs despite starting the season on -10points.

plus we're currently unbeated in 4 games, which includes 3 wins and have a home game which we should win and carry on the momentum

Long ball football. That's all there is from Pards. I wouldn't mind if it was a plan B, but he sets the team up to play long ball.

The most frustrating part is when we do get the ball down and play we can tear teams apart, but he'd rather play 'safe' and just knock it long and feed off the scraps

I don't think we will make the playoffs and more importantly I don't think the players do either.

The remaining games are our pre-pre season. Time to experiment. Build on our strengths and sort out our weaknesses. We have time to do it so that we can make a stroming start in August and September.

I am optimistic !!!!

I agree 100% with you Glenn.