Steve Moran

saint peach

When working at S****horpe v Bristol City today I started chatting to the fella next me in the press box. Turns out we were working for the same company and we got talking about football and, ultimately (as always with me), Southampton.

To my surprise, he told me how he came through the youth system, played there for quite few years and was, low and behold, Steve Moran.

For somebody of my tender years you can't blame me for not recognising him, but I know what he did for the club. The 1984 FA Cup game is one of my YouTube favourites.

For those interested, he lives near Hull nowadays and covers Scunny every Saturday, while doing some of the hospitality stuff at Hull City. He obviously still keeps up with goings-on at Saints, though, and was very positive about our future. To my delight, he also recited endless anecdotes about his time with us and seemed to recall every goal he'd ever netted in immaculate detail. As a result, I'm going to do a piece with him about his time at Saints so if you have any questions for him please fire away and I'll do my best to get an answer.

And on a side note, he was full of praise for striker Gary Hooper, who netted a hat-trick today. He obviously knows what he is talking about when it comes to scoring, so maybe he'd be worth a look at for next season?

Great story, i'm also too young to remember the days when Steve was playing, but I do also try and keep up by watching YouTube videos.

And on the subject of Gary Hooper, if Sc*nthorpe go down, then we must try our hardest to sign him. If he was playing in the side that we have at the moment I have no doubts that he'd be challenging Sir Rickie for his goal record.

he is possibly my all time Saints hero (by the days of Le Tiss, I was probably too old (or thought I was too cool) to have a hero. Fantastic player and someone who looked like he enjoyed scoring goals more than anyone I have seen since.

Could ask him whether he thinks Saints let him go too easily or too soon. Think I have also seen somewhere that he was asked to go on tour with England to South America in 84 (when John Barnes scored that goal at The Maracana) but he couldn't go as he was getting married.

Steve Moran maybe remembered by young Saints fans for that one goal, but he scored a hatful in his time with Saints, and was a really great goalscorer, and I'm not saying that with Saints bias. He was a poacher of real class. Injury did for Steve at Saints, and he eventually left for Leicester City, then Reading, Exeter, etc...

We'll not forget that goal, or plenty of others.

Against the then mighty Liverpool, with Alan Hansen as the last defender, who Steve beats before scoring. Remind him of that one. Keegan as teammate and assist. Part of a great Saints team.

I'd be interested to know who he feels is the best player he played alongside at Southampton, as he played with a lot of great players. I'd also ask him if any of the older players (again there were a lot of them in his days) gave him advice/influenced him.

Oh and thank him for making it such an exciting time to be a Saints fan. I was at the Man City game when he made his debut. Back then my dad would hang around with me outside in the car park after games so I could get autographs, I got Steve's that night, think I was the only person to ask for it, it's now 30 years later and I still remember it, largely because he wrote his name in very schoolboyish cursive, it looked as though I'd written it myself (I imagine he would have only been 6 years older than me) a couple of years later I saw his autograph on a photo and was disappointed that it had transformed into a rather elaborate loopy affair and looked nothing like my treasured autograph.

Whatever the score during a game you knew you could add another goal to the Saints column if he hadn't yet scored, HE ALWAYS SCORED! LEGEND!

Lawrie Mac's story of how he first spotted Steve Moran is a clasic .... which for you young uns might be worth re visiting.

It goes something along the lines that Lawrie was watching some Schoolboy football matches in the area and a little kid in clapped out old boots caught his eye, so at HT he told the youngster that if he scored a hat trick in the 2nd half he'd buy him a new pair of boots .... naturally he duly obliged with the hat trick ... and as they say the rest is history ;)

Like many others of my era, Stevie was a hero, especially having come up through the ranks and not looking out of place in teams containing the likes of Keegan, Channon, Charlie George, Alan Ball etc etc.

He had a Jimmy Greaves like goal poacher instinct of being in the right place at the right time., and like EVERY Saints fan .... THAT goal at Notarf Krap can bring a shiver down my spine and a smile to my face no matter how many times I watch it ;). The goal at Anfield, scored right in front of us is still probably my favourite away leeague match win ever :prayer:

Lawrie Mac's story of how he first spotted Steve Moran is a clasic .... which for you young uns might be worth re visiting.

It goes something along the lines that Lawrie was watching some Schoolboy football matches in the area and a little kid in clapped out old boots caught his eye, so at HT he told the youngster that if he scored a hat trick in the 2nd half he'd buy him a new pair of boots .... naturally he duly obliged with the hat trick ... and as they say the rest is history ;)

Like many others of my era, Stevie was a hero, especially having come up through the ranks and not looking out of place in teams containing the likes of Keegan, Channon, Charlie George, Alan Ball etc etc.

He had a Jimmy Greaves like goal poacher instinct of being in the right place at the right time., and like EVERY Saints fan .... THAT goal at Notarf Krap can bring a shiver down my spine and a smile to my face no matter how many times I watch it ;). The goal at Anfield, scored right in front of us is still probably my favourite away leeague match win ever :prayer:

Though not a big name player he was a key part of the Keegan, Ball, Channon team and always looked their equal. Brilliant player and scored some cracking goals for Saints.

A great player, who would have gone on to play for England, if it weren't for his back injury. Never had the same mobility afterwards. As a Saints fan, was immensely proud when he was PFA Young Player of the Year, the same year Keegan was Player of the Year.

Last I heard he was a lorry driver in the Hull area, so good to know that he is working back in football these days.

Stevie was my favourite Saints player as a kid. I idolized him and was delighted when he won the PFA young player of the year award in 81-82 season. That goal at Fratton earns him LEGEND status alone but there was so much more to him and his career with Saints than that one special moment.

When Big Lawrie announced the signing of Kevin Keegan where were you or what were you doing when you heard the news? (Every Saints fan can remember this). What were your initial thoughts and how did they compare to how things turned out in reality?

I remember standing on the Milton terraces on a sunny afternoon in 1984 watching Steve and Danny Wallace both get hat-tricks as we thumped Coventry 8-2.

Not often a team has 2 players scoring hat-tricks.

Left-back for Coventry was a young Stuart Pearce.

What a privilige to speak to the great man. After Steve Williams he was simply the best What a privilege to speak to the great man. After Steve Williams he was simply the best Saints player ever and I will have a proper fist fight in the car park with anybody who says otherwise :)

Oh ok keep you're jacket on I suppose Le Tissier, Channon, Paine, Davies, Keegan, and now Lambert have a shout at that but Steve is the same age as me so when I watched him play I had more empathy with him as a player.

He was a poacher of extraordinary talent and like Lineker he chased everything and never let the goalkeeper relax. He could turn on the skill when needed but most of his goals were from being at the right place at the right time inevitably unmarked.

He was a Prices boy as I remember and had some 'trouble' in Portsmouth that did his back in and sadly he was never the same player again.

We were very privileged to see a team containing so many great English players I wonder if we are about to repeat that.

He was simply class. The season we finished runners-up was because of his goals but ultimately had he not got injured at Christmas we would definitely have won the league! Who knows what could have happened then!

I remember meeting him when I was about 13, it was at Bitterne Bowl when my junior league had a presentation evening and charity event when ALL the squad turned up, Lawrie Mac et all! I was sat with mates waiting for the presentation to start and Steve Moran walked over to our table and asked if he could join us. As a fan and only 13 I was awestruck and hardly said anything! He spent the while evening at our table talking Saints when asked but joined in our celebrations when we picked up out trophies.

A top top bloke and a top top player.

I wonder if he remembers?!!!

QUOTE]

therer's a tail piece to that story too. Lawrie Mac says he gave him a " chitty " to take with him to the sports shop ... and young Steve was waiting on the doorstop when they opened on Monday morning. great stuff.

There were those who thought he was a bit heavy around the waistline for a short player (5' 8") but he never seemed to have a problem with pace and was very quick with goals inside the box. Sadly Steve disappeared soon after Lawrie went as he didn't fit Chris Nicholl's "new look " side (which to be fair wasn't a bad set-up either).

Steve debuted in January 1980 a week after his 19th birthday and scored coming on as sub. at The Dell.

He was fairly regular until the end of the 85-86 season, and scored 99 first team goals in 217 starts.

He got into double figures most seasons but his best was 1983-84 when he scored 21 league goals, playing inside right to Frank Worthington and David Armstrong with with Danny Wallace supplying everyone with crosses from the left wing.

Steve also scored 4 career hat-tricks.

Older fans will recall this was the season we finished only 3 points behind Liverpool and were unbeaten in the last 10 games, and Steve was at his absolute best ...scoring 9 in the last 9 games.

Great perfomance from a youngster playing alongside so many " big names ".

Edited by david in sweden

I remember standing on the Milton terraces on a sunny afternoon in 1984 watching Steve and Danny Wallace both get hat-tricks as we thumped Coventry 8-2.

my first ever saints game good times :)

he was my first saints idol a great player in the Gary Lineker mould of striker, i remember his nickname was the pocket battle ship. Top top player in his era, always remember an interview with him in Shoot magazine where he lists his favourite drink as larger and food as steak, not many would do that these days!

• Like 1

he is possibly my all time Saints hero (by the days of Le Tiss, I was probably too old (or thought I was too cool) to have a hero. Fantastic player and someone who looked like he enjoyed scoring goals more than anyone I have seen since.

Could ask him whether he thinks Saints let him go too easily or too soon. Think I have also seen somewhere that he was asked to go on tour with England to South America in 84 (when John Barnes scored that goal at The Maracana) but he couldn't go as he was getting married.

My hero too, more than Matt by a long chalk.

For those too young, Moran was like Michael Owen in his prime.

My hero too, more than Matt by a long chalk.

For those too young, Moran was like Michael Owen in his prime.

That's a pretty good description, IMO and I have often thought that. And just like Owen, who has definitely lost an edge, due to injury, Steve lost his due to his back injury. He was still an effective striker, although Chris Nicholl was aiming for a different format which didn't really have room for Moran.

Haha...yep Perry Suckling in goal for Cov.

Frankie Worthington got one of the other goals...

Wasn't there a 5-5 draw against them the following year as well?

It was an evening game if I remember correctly and mark hatley scored a couple of goals for them.

A class finisher, with a great "shoulder drop" that wrong-footed many a defender.

One of our 1980's best!

That is my favourite move/memory of Steve - I used to do that shoulder drop week in and week out, always worked... the old defenders never sussed it!

Not used often enough today if you ask me.

All I ever wanted to be, Steve Moran was. Great, great memories. I have this image in my head of Keegan lifting him up... And Frank Worthington ambling around with a fag in his mouth, flicking the ball this way and that... what a team, what an era.

Steve moran epitomised work rate for me. I never saw a player do as much off the ball as him for saints. He defended so high up the pitch the oppos were always under pressure. He must have been phenomenally fit and had deceptive pace, certainly he was very quick thinking and reacting which made him the prolific goalscorer he was.

Definately one of my all time top ten saints players. Young, enthusiastic, obviously loved the club, a pfa young player of the year ( when are we ever going to get one of those again?) helped us to our best ever league placing and played in a team of fellow legends previously mentioned here.

For the younger fans on this forum just think a mixture of Owens finishing and Rooneys workrate ~ but with a saints shirt and younger - he was not in them two's class as they were (are) world class players to be fair, but for his time Steve Moran terrorised the best defenders in Division One ( now The Premier League) scoring regularly and never gave them a let up in the same way Rooney does today.

Definately a Saints Great. ( not quite a Legend though....which diiferentiation is an idea for a thread- weve had so many "legend" threads that the "greats" thread would actually be more interesting to hear from posters with why.....lol)_

Steve moran epitomised work rate for me. I never saw a player do as much off the ball as him for saints. He defended so high up the pitch the oppos were always under pressure. He must have been phenomenally fit and had deceptive pace, certainly he was very quick thinking and reacting which made him the prolific goalscorer he was.

Definately one of my all time top ten saints players. Young, enthusiastic, obviously loved the club, a pfa young player of the year ( when are we ever going to get one of those again?) helped us to our best ever league placing and played in a team of fellow legends previously mentioned here.

For the younger fans on this forum just think a mixture of Owens finishing and Rooneys workrate ~ but with a saints shirt and younger - he was not in them two's class as they were (are) world class players to be fair, but for his time Steve Moran terrorised the best defenders in Division One ( now The Premier League) scoring regularly and never gave them a let up in the same way Rooney does today.

Definately a Saints Great. ( not quite a Legend though....which diiferentiation is an idea for a thread- weve had so many "legend" threads that the "greats" thread would actually be more interesting to hear from posters with why.....lol)_

Steve suffered bad injuries while he was still comparatively young, and at a time when "medical science" for footballers was not the same high standards as we find today.

But I do think that had he escaped from those injuries he could have easily been an England international every bit as good as Owen.

That is my favourite move/memory of Steve - I used to do that shoulder drop week in and week out, always worked... the old defenders never sussed it!

Not used often enough today if you ask me.

All I ever wanted to be, Steve Moran was. Great, great memories. I have this image in my head of Keegan lifting him up... And Frank Worthington ambling around with a fag in his mouth, flicking the ball this way and that... what a team, what an era.

Absolutely.

A natural born gift that Steve had !

Great thread! As another poster said Keegan was the reason I started supporting Saints and Steve Moran was the man who kept my interest in Saints going. Used to rub my cheeks (no not those ones!) before having a kick-about with my mates so I had Steve's ruddy complexion! Dunno if anyone else used to do this but I used to do a running commentary in my head as I played. I was always Moran. As for the shoulder drop mentioned by LTC I'm still using that and I'm 43. It still works. I've stopped doing the running commentary though.

A great goal scorer from a great period in Saints' history - when we were one of the best sides around!

I would like to hear what he has to say about the team spirit in those days and the players' relationships with each other and with the manager.

When does he think Saints will return to the glory days?

Steve Moran maybe remembered by young Saints fans for that one goal, but he scored a hatful in his time with Saints, and was a really great goalscorer, and I'm not saying that with Saints bias. He was a poacher of real class. Injury did for Steve at Saints, and he eventually left for Leicester City, then Reading, Exeter, etc...

We'll not forget that goal, or plenty of others.

Against the then mighty Liverpool, with Alan Hansen as the last defender, who Steve beats before scoring. Remind him of that one. Keegan as teammate and assist. Part of a great Saints team.

I was there that day, have not seen that clip for ages now - thanks.

Also remember him scoring a hat-trick, along with Danny Wallace in the 8-2 win against Coventry. That evening he was at the IOW Saints Supporters Club dinner, had a good chat with him - very nice bloke.

The 5-5 draw was on 4th May 1982 - remember it well as it was the night news of HMS Sheffield being hit during the Falklands War came through.

Stevie Moran was a Warsash legend. I well remember the time his Mum (a teacher at school) brought in the PFA Young Player of the Year award to show us all; a real treat for everybody.

Some other memories I have are of when Steve would sometimes come out of his Mum's house and walk the dogs on the Warsash rec, only to be absolutely mobbed by dozens of football mad school boys. He was as near to a celebrity as you got! Overall he was a superb player, a 'one of us' type. Seeing him made you think you could also make it.

Somebody mentioned his wedding and England, and I think he was right. From memory he was going to be called into an England tour of Summer '84, but it clashed with his wedding and he forego the opportunity.

What a fantastic player he was. I was gutted that we let him go to Leicester.

Moran was one of those players that always gave you hope. Even if the game was not going so well, he was one of those that could have a flash of inspiration and suddenly turn things around with a superbly poached goal.

I have a terrible memory for stats, particular goals and in which games they were scored. All I know is that he is etched in my memory along with some of the best players that Saints ever had. The early 80's were a fantastic time to be a saints fan.

I remember he scored a great goal against Leeds at the Dell, 81 ish? He must have beat at least 4 of their defenders before scoring at the Archers Rd end. I think we won 4-0 that day. I've never seen any footage of it. He would have definately played many times for England if it wasn't for the injury.

Fantastic striker, a joy to watch him play. If only he hadnt have got injured. Didnt he get beaten up by skates at a night club andthat started off his back problems?? Ask him that please. PLus, why did he leave? Did he fall out with Nichol?

From memory I think he scored 99 goals from around 250 matches???? The goal against the skates in teh FA Cup lives long in my memory............