who would you like to see go up...

david in sweden

Leeds and Millwall for me.

Clearly right: those are the two teams we'd rather not have to deal with in L1 next season. Not in the least worried about any of the other teams, nor about the likely relegated teams.

at the moment only Norwich are certain of promotion, so WHICH of the remaining FIVE sides would you like to see promoted to CCC and make our promotion push a little smoother NEXT SEASON..?

I couldn't care less. We should finish above all of them.

Leeds and Millwall for me.

baed on the first 20 replies ....you seem to have the favourite two Colinjb,

but is it perhaps time for the FL to re-consider that old suggestion for Div.3 North and South again .. for teams below CCC ?

the Conference does it, and teams at the bottom of L1 would would do down automatically, and the better Conference sides would get a good chance of better football.

WHY ? .. well nowadays it's environmentally friendlier (cost of travel / food, fuel and time-saving.

Some cash-strapped clubs have huge bills for travel/hotels all over the country, and this would be a big saving for them.

More fans able to travel shorter distances. ....or do people enjoy going to Carlisle and Hartlepool ?

THOUGHTS anyone ?

I'd quite like Leeds to stay down - excellent awayday/weekend - and guarantees two 'big games' next season. They also keep the profile of our league higher; if you take away Norwich/Charlton/Leeds you will halve this year's media attention and profile, and the remainder looks pretty anaemic. Take those three away and we will be everyone's Cup Final, home and away.

Stay down and they are likely to lose one or two of their better players, and there's always room for two teams at the top!

I'd get rid of Norwich, Millwall and Swindon and take our chances with Leeds and Charlton, with our set-up and backing we really shouldn't be fearing anybody at this level.

Of the potentially relegated sides only Sheff Wed look like they could challenge in the top 6, I also expect Brentford to do well next season and maybe Brighton too if Poyet continues there.

baed on the first 20 replies ....you seem to have the favourite two Colinjb,

but is it perhaps time for the FL to re-consider that old suggestion for Div.3 North and South again .. for teams below CCC ?

the Conference does it, and teams at the bottom of L1 would would do down automatically, and the better Conference sides would get a good chance of better football.

WHY ? .. well nowadays it's environmentally friendlier (cost of travel / food, fuel and time-saving.

Some cash-strapped clubs have huge bills for travel/hotels all over the country, and this would be a big saving for them.

More fans able to travel shorter distances. ....or do people enjoy going to Carlisle and Hartlepool ?

THOUGHTS anyone ?

The Conference doesn't do it. The Blue Square (Bet) Premier is a national division, below that the whole pyramid is regionalised, Conf N/S merely being the top tier of the regionalised system.

Overall I currently don't see many benefits to L1 and L2 being national. I do wonder if a power company being the sponsor from next season might lead them into discussing the "greening" of the League, i.e. re-regionalisation. Free publicity and genuinely beneficial from an environmental perspective, so free greenie points for n-power.

When it comes down to it, the problem is that promotion and relegation would become less "final" in regionalised leagues, and with the current model, only one side would go down from Div 3 N and Div 3 South, making a good proportion of the fixtures for bottom half sides pointless from Xmas - even more so than is the case in L2 now with 2 going down. Regionalisation of the leagues would introduce too many dead games at the end of the season without a significant overhaul.

Also, with promotion to a National 2nd Tier (aka Championship), the Playoffs would have to be for 2nd-5th teams, and then the N/S winners would playoff for the third promotion spot across the 2 divisions (unless they brought in 4 down from the Championship). That takes another club out of the playoff hunt and into midtable straight away.

In the first few years the spread between top and bottom clubs in the regionalised lower divisions could be huge until the former L2 sides get players in, too. Though I don't think having matches against Aldershot and Dagenham/Redbridge is any worse in terms of "prestige" than the current treks to Hartlepool and Carlisle, or Rochdale next season.

I also think regionalisation, and the artificial status of the Championship as the only non-Premier League national competition might hasten the arrival of the hideous "Premier League 2" concept that's been mooted numerous times by low-Prem standing chairmen for the last 5 years, which is something to be avoided.

And then what would the Blue Square Bet Premier do ? Should the pinnacle of non-League stay illogically national when the leagues above are regional, or fall back into the regional model they had before the 1970s ?

The Conference doesn't do it. The Blue Square (Bet) Premier is a national division, below that the whole pyramid is regionalised, Conf N/S merely being the top tier of the regionalised system.

Overall I currently don't see many benefits to L1 and L2 being national. I do wonder if a power company being the sponsor from next season might lead them into discussing the "greening" of the League, i.e. re-regionalisation. Free publicity and genuinely beneficial from an environmental perspective, so free greenie points for n-power.

And then what would the Blue Square Bet Premier do ? Should the pinnacle of non-League stay illogically national when the leagues above are regional, or fall back into the regional model they had before the 1970s ?

Back in the days when we had Div.3 N & S, the champions from each moved up from the regional leagues into the lowest "national" division and played everywhere, but with finances being difficult for all clubs (well almost all) nowadays, it would save a lot of money both for clubs and travelling fans.

Very few problems - even if you have two or more southern / northern teams in the relegation pack, the lower league can be easily re-organised.

I think this occurred a few times back in the 1940's /50's and was simply resolved by "moving " a suitable Midlands side like for instance Peterborough, Mansfield, Crewe or Port Vale who could just as easily play in the Northern section as in the Southern.

Millwall and Swindon for me. I do NOT want Leeds to go up as I think we could sign a lot of their players in the summer who CDAJFU - Kisnorbo, Snodgrass etc.

I cant see many players wanting to stick around for yet another season in L1 with Leeds, we are a much safer bet for promotion.

I hate Milwall so i do not want them soiling our great city anymore, and we just cant seem to beat Swindon!

Leeds and Huddersfield - with Palace coming down rather than Sheff Weds!

That means we'd be the biggest club in League with the largest support and biggest/best stadium. No great boast I know but it should up our chances of being Champions!

Also Hudderfield have money to spend due to a wealthy owner. Not on our scale but they will still be challenging us for the title.

Swindon will probably lose Charlie Austin and a couple of other players. Similarly Palace and Charlton will both be in financial trouble and lose players such as Shelvey and Danns.

Also means more London and Southern games - good for taking big away support - which means more points normally!

Plus Millwall, Palace and Charlton will all take points off each other in their Sarf London derbies!