Breaking News - Brown to resign, Labour entering negotiations with the Liberals

dune

As it says on the tin.

Brown has said he'll resign and a new Labour Leader will be in place before the September conference, and that his grubby party is entering negotiations with the Liberals. The upshot would be the unlected Prime Minister relinquishing power to another unlected Prime Minister. No doubt some will say we live in a parliamentary democracy and not a presidential democracy, but it's disgusting imo.

Ok, time for cameron to get on the blower to alec salmond to tell him he can have his independance if he supports the Tories for next 2 years. Win win

That would be the SNP that ruled out working with the tories then?

Has Brown been reading my posts?

To be honest, it's unlikely to last, but it is Clegg's only real option.

Too right it's unlikely to last. It'd be a complete dereliction of duty for minority coalition government to be formed. It'd be utter carnage for the country until the inevitable collapse.

If, and it's a big If, this does happen then at the next election (which won't be far away) it'll be wipeout time for the Liberals in the South and this will be just what they deserve.

Good news for the Tory's. A Lib/Lab pact wont last a year, they haven't got the numbers. To see Scottish MP's propping up Parties that lost seats in the election wont go down well in England.There will be another election within a year.

Good news for the Tories - YES, but very bad news for the country.

I fully expect a run on the pound in a matter of days if the Tories and the Liberals don't announce a deal PDQ.:(

Too right it's unlikely to last. It'd be a complete dereliction of duty for minority coalition government to be formed. It'd be utter carnage for the country until the inevitable collapse.

If, and it's a big If, this does happen then at the next election (which won't be far away) it'll be wipeout time for the Liberals in the South and this will be just what they deserve.

Correct.

What cost the Torys the election was they couldn't take seats off the Lib/Dems. They'll be able to do that now.

Yup, but that's before they offered them such a big carrot

Thing is the SNP are committed to independence but the scottish electorate are not as I believe most recent polls show that most scots do not want full independence. Salmond and Co know this and are trying to play a longer game so a quick referendum on independence with the tories suddenly their friends is unlikely to go their way and they would probably have to wait a long time for another.

If the PM announces he's resigning after an election doesn't that then pave the way for the Tories to lead a minority government?

Only if they can carry the house. i.e. show they can get their queens speech passed. If everyone else gangs up on them and with labour currently in charge they would not even get the chance.

It’s late autumn, 1976. Britain is facing yet another sterling crisis. In less than two years the pound has fallen from $2.40 to $1.60. Investors have no faith in the British economy, or the government that runs it. The Budget is a mess — vital public spending will have to be cut.

The plummeting pound pushes the economy to breaking point. Prime Minister Callaghan is told that unless a solution is found, Britain can no longer afford to be a nuclear power. In desperation, the government finally acts. In December, Labour Chancellor Denis Healey takes a drastic step. He borrows £2.3 billion — the maximum allowed — from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

The above was a nightmare scenario for Britain. But it happened. The question is, could it happen again?

If a Lib-Lab pact is formed the answer is YES.

I still believe that Clegg only has two choices:

1) Join a Conservative coalition but with no PR deal.

2) Allow the Conservatives to form a minority government.

Option 2) is still the most likely.

It's completly and utterly unthinkable that he'll form a Lib-Lab pact. But if he does it'll send a clear message to the country that he cares nothing for the will of the people, and he cares nothing for the economy, but that all he cares about is the voting system and his own party.

It’s late autumn, 1976. Britain is facing yet another sterling crisis. In less than two years the pound has fallen from $2.40 to $1.60. Investors have no faith in the British economy, or the government that runs it. The Budget is a mess — vital public spending will have to be cut.

The plummeting pound pushes the economy to breaking point. Prime Minister Callaghan is told that unless a solution is found, Britain can no longer afford to be a nuclear power. In desperation, the government finally acts. In December, Labour Chancellor Denis Healey takes a drastic step. He borrows £2.3 billion — the maximum allowed — from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

The above was a nightmare scenario for Britain. But it happened. The question is, could it happen again?

If a Lib-Lab pact is formed the answer is YES.

The thing is the world has changed rather a lot since the 70's. Both Labour, the LibDems and the SNP/Plaid have now got significant experience of running coalition government via the Wales assembly and the Scottish parliament. It is not long the unknown area that such deals were in the 70s.

The thing is the world has changed rather a lot since the 70's. Both Labour, the LibDems and the SNP/Plaid have now got significant experience of running coalition government via the Wales assembly and the Scottish parliament. It is not long the unknown area that such deals were in the 70s.

A Lib-Lab pact is a minority coalition. It can't work!!!!!

A Lib-Lab pact is a minority coalition. It can't work!!!!!

Unlike you Stanley some of us said that Labour could work with the nationalists as they are, in the main, left of centre. You had them as working with the tories which somewhat shows how out of touch you are.

This could be some sort of left of centre of coalition which would give them enough to do it.

The world has moved on since the 70s Stanley, try it yourself.

will labour blow it all with inward party politics by those who want power..?

We had that exact same conversation if the office after classes today.

The problem, or problem as I see it, is that the debates now mean that the leaders are going to be judged on their performance/looks rather than their policies and that means groomed actors such as Miliband.

Unlike you Stanley some of us said that Labour could work with the nationalists as they are, in the main, left of centre. You had them as working with the tories which somewhat shows how out of touch you are.

This could be some sort of left of centre of coalition which would give them enough to do it.

The world has moved on since the 70s Stanley, try it yourself.

I can't remember ever saying that Labour couldn't work with the nationalists, please provide a link to this quote of mine or reatract that statement and apologise.

I have said that I don't think the Conservatives could work with the Nationalists.

The country will not accept another unelected Prime Minister, and if the Libs prop up Labour yet again they will be back to a handful of MPs and the 'Taxi'. Brown has no chance of getting a PR vote through the commons. If this were to go ahead there would be riots.

So you don't agree with Alastair Campbell then?

He is right by the way, this wasn't a presidential election.

What a Labour spin doctor says and what the general publics thinks is totally different. He may be technically correct, but morally the next government should be Conservative and the next PM should be David Cameron. There will be a lot of anger if we are left with a Lib-Lab minority coalition stitch up.

Assuming there is a Lib-Lab minority coalition stitch up because Nick Smugg see's it as the best chance of PR for his party, and assuming that somehow Smugg get's it through parliament and to a referendum, does anyone really think the general public are going to vote for an electoral system championed by Smugg and his canniving and unscrupulous party?

What a Labour spin doctor says and what the general publics thinks is totally different. He may be technically correct, but morally the next government should be Conservative and the next PM should be David Cameron. There will be a lot of anger if we are left with a Lib-Lab minority coalition stitch up.

A con-lib partnership would be a disaster. There is far too little common ground compared to lib-lab. As I'm sure you know. ;)

15 million voted for Lab + Lib only 10 million for the Tories

Seems a very legitimate Coalition

With a bit of luck there will never ever be a Tory Majority

A con-lib partnership would be a disaster. There is far too little common ground compared to lib-lab. As I'm sure you know. ;)

In my view the most likely outcome is a minority Con government with 'supply and support' from the Libs, i.e. backing them in a confidence vote and budget bill. That way they can distance themselves from the nasty decisions and still claim that it's what the country needs at the moment. I still expect a re-run in October.

One thing that has struck me about this is that all this wrangling makes a great case why PR is not such a good idea. This carry on would happen after every election.

PR sounds like a great idea but will it provide a strong government or will just lead to watered down policy because everything has to be horsetraded first.

I just cannot see it working.

Nah, i didn't think you would.

Get your facts right next time though before you gob off.

Stanley, I'm right and you're wrong, as usual. I know it and you know it. You were banging on how SNP & PD would work with the tories. Yet again you were wrong.

Just as you were wrong about the Labour core vote and the clear tory majority.

No mark Nazi scum.

The country will not accept another unelected Prime Minister, and if the Libs prop up Labour yet again they will be back to a handful of MPs and the 'Taxi'. Brown has no chance of getting a PR vote through the commons. If this were to go ahead there would be riots.

+1.

Nah, i didn't think you would.

Get your facts right next time though before you gob off.

Stanley, I'm right and you're wrong, as usual. I know it and you know it. You were banging on how SNP & PD would work with the tories. Yet again you were wrong.

No mark Nazi scum.

Why don't you two get a room? :)

No mark Nazi scum.

:smt057

Correct.

What cost the Torys the election was they couldn't take seats off the Lib/Dems. They'll be able to do that now.

no, what cost the Torys was they couldnt take enough seats from the already failed labour. shows what people really think about the lot of them.