Our Little Latvian Friend

Gemmel

There's an interview with Pahars in the pink this week;

Half decent read, talking about his love for Saints fans, the club and the area. Follows us on the internet and wants us to get back to the prem, so he can watch us on telly.

He is coaching at Skonto Riga and hopes to come back here in the future.

I'll never forget his last time at St Mary's when the Saints fans said goodbye, one of only 3 times that football caused a lump in my throat.

Pards if you ever need a new coach have a look at this guy, if he is half as good at coaching as he is at nutmeging Jaap Stam, then were onto a winner.

Half decent read, talking about his love for Saints fans, the club and the area. Follows us on the internet and wants us to get back to the prem, so he can watch us on telly.

I'll never forget his last time at St Mary's when the Saints fans said goodbye, one of only 3 times that football caused a lump in my throat.

Pards if you ever need a new coach have a look at this guy, if he is half as good at coaching as he is at nutmeging Jaap Stam, then were onto a winner.

yep, i saw this too. Agree with the lump in throat bit you mention.

Top bloke

It certainly was a lump in the throat experience, seeing Marian walking round the pitch crying as he was saying goodbye, I saw people around me shedding tears in return, you could feel the love everyone had for him.

It certainly was a lump in the throat experience, seeing Marian walking round the pitch crying as he was saying goodbye, I saw people around me shedding tears in return, you could feel the love everyone had for him.

For me, his walk lap around the ground brought home what had happened to him and the club since the days when he was one of the best strikers in the premiership. Both the club and marion had completely lost our way and had sunk so low. I was stood next to my son, and as pahars was doing his lap round the ground, I was wondering whether we would ever see anyone of that quality again in a saints shirt.

but we have turned the corner now , and we will be back - best wishes to marion too.

Was at OT when he nutmegged Stam, though the blinding wizardry of Pahars footwork at the time means that it is only with TV subsequent replays that the sheer quality of the goal has sunk in.

The goal also meant much more after the manure cup game in Jan 2009. It was a real low point after the board/management had talked up the game - how our young guns going to express ourselves but proceeded to sink without a trace in one of the most one-sided football games I've ever seen. To top things off, thousands of swaggering, unsympatheic Manc c**ts who have no interest in or understanding of the less showbizzy side of football were quite happy to rub in the pain.

Which takes me back to the Pahars goal - days when we could hold our heads up high and routinely stick one in the big clubs eye. Seeing all those complacent, charmless mancs stone-dead in their seats as little Marian ****ed over Stam and beat them at their own game on their own patch remains a highlight and milestone of where one day i hope we'll once again be...

great little player, marian

Closest I have come to crying watching Saints, and I've seen us relegated twice and watched Darren Powell. Would love it, Keegan style, if he came back one day as coach. F**k it, he can replace Stuart Dennis as the half time entertainment IMO, even if he does strike me as fairly introvert.

Anyone have a link? I can't get the pink here.

I do agree that he was a great player, and a real favourite of mine, and all the other sentiments on here.

What I do wish is that he had the heart and determination of Michael Svensson to get fit and fight for the cause. I did a tour of SMS about 5 years ago and Herbie told me that he was a real hypochondriac.

Unfortunately, in my eyes, that unwillingness / inability to get fit takes the edge off what he could have achieved.

Wonder what the chances of getting his side over here for a pre-season friendly ?

That would be a great way for him to come back and thank us....and vice versa of course.

Skonto Riga are Latvia's top team...or they were....there might be another lillte latvian gem lurking in their ranks ;)

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Pards if you ever need a new coach have a look at this guy, if he is half as good at coaching as he is at nutmegging Jaap Stam, then we're onto a winner.

I'll never forgot Marians for his goals (Man U / Pompey especially, but crucially in the Great Escape season. However, those memories are sullied by the fact that when the club really needed him in later years he was injured (granted sometimes genuinely, other times less so).

After the early years (1999 - 2002), he was a drain on the clubs meagre resources and I have a bad taste about his role (or lack thereof) in the relegation season / Championship season. When we really needed the little man to step up to the plate, he was injured (genuine maybe, but often it sounded work shy).

His goal return in those years (granted most as a sub, some on the wing) wasn't good and when he did play he didn't put in a great amount of effort.

1998-99 6 3

1999-00 33 13

2000-01 31 9

2001-02 36 14

2002-03 9 1

2003-04 14 2

2004-05 0 0

2005-06 8 1

It's kind of like only going to work 25% of the time but still being treated like a hero. Nice work if you can get it but I find it hard to celebrate it.

So thanks for the goals MP, I just wish you could have been bothered to do more when we really needed you.

I'll never forgot Marians for his goals (Man U / Pompey especially, but crucially in the Great Escape season. However, those memories are sullied by the fact that when the club really needed him in later years he was injured (granted sometimes genuinely, other times less so).

After the early years (1999 - 2002), he was a drain on the clubs meagre resources and I have a bad taste about his role (or lack thereof) in the relegation season / Championship season. When we really needed the little man to step up to the plate, he was injured (genuine maybe, but often it sounded work shy).

His goal return in those years (granted most as a sub, some on the wing) wasn't good and when he did play he didn't put in a great amount of effort.

1998-99 6 3

1999-00 33 13

2000-01 31 9

2001-02 36 14

2002-03 9 1

2003-04 14 2

2004-05 0 0

2005-06 8 1

It's kind of like only going to work 25% of the time but still being treated like a hero. Nice work if you can get it but I find it hard to celebrate it.

So thanks for the goals MP, I just wish you could have been bothered to do more when we really needed you.

A trifle harsh although I do agree with your sentiments to a certain extent.

I guess we'll never truly know the extent of his injuries but when you read WGS' autobiography for example, he is full of praise for his talent and sheer ability (if memory serves me correctly he said that Marian was the best finisher by a country mile), but he felt that Pahars wasn't the bravest.

One story in there stuck in my memory and it was one where both Marian and Fabrice Fernandes looked less than enthused at having to swim in the sea during one of the notorious training camps in Scotland! Would love to have been there!

Still, some of the goals he scored and some of his general play was wonderful - and he was one of my favourite Saints players ever. I still think of him in that light rather than the sicknote we unfortunately saw in the last few years of his time at Saints.

he was brilliant...absolutely brilliant..sure he was not perfect..but the memories we had thanks to him are brilliant..

the mugging of jap stam

the goal against the skates

jumping into the archers against liverpool

If we get Portsmouth in the cup next season, and we win 3-0 with a Paul Wotton hattrick, he'll go from argues-about average footballer to Saints legend forever more. Football is a funny all game, full of sentimentality.

How I'd love for us to find the "English Marian Pahars."

If we get Portsmouth in the cup next season, and we win 3-0 with a Paul Wotton hattrick, he'll go from argues-about average footballer to Saints legend forever more. Football is a funny all game, full of sentimentality.

How I'd love for us to find the "English Marian Pahars."

but parhars did more than that

but also, sometimes a player does something special at the right place at the right time...and a winning hattrick against the skates would be that..

The sicknote stuff was a bit sad, but on his day he was a terrific player and played a huge part in the fmous Great Escape. We have had some miserable seasons in recent years and it is easy to forget that we had some quality players at SFC. Relatively cheap too!

The sicknote stuff was a bit sad, but on his day he was a terrific player and played a huge part in the fmous Great Escape. We have had some miserable seasons in recent years and it is easy to forget that we had some quality players at SFC. Relatively cheap too!

Agreed,the sicknote thing was disappointing. How we could have done with a fully fit Pahars during the Prem relegation season. Shame he never got his head right.

WGS infamously said Marian was the only person he knew that could catch a computer virus. Pretty much sums it up.