Nutter on the loose up North, Cumbria

Hatch

Saw this on the news earlier, not the kind of thing that happens often in the UK. Anyone know what kind of gun he was using, because a local pub owner on Sky News earlier said that she'd been told that his gun had a 2 mile radius or something? Sniper Rifle or something of the sort would be pretty f*cking hard to come by in Cumbria!

Well he may have been mad, but he did the right thing by shooting his mother too. That is not a act of a lunatic, he obviously couldn't put his mother through it all so he shot her.

Very scary - if you're there.

I wonder how long it will be until one of our USandA friends comes along bemoaning the fact that the people who got shot weren't "packing heat".

You've been watching too many movies!!

Personally I would ban the lot of them. My Mrs is a cop in LA and I have no interest at all in playing with her guns (ooh err!) but I am glad she have them when working!

Why do the reporters always interview a neighbour that says "he was a nice guy, kep himself to himself" in these circumstances?

One day, just once, I want the neighbour to say, "He was a right ****. A proper wrong'un".

Saw this on the news earlier, not the kind of thing that happens often in the UK. Anyone know what kind of gun he was using, because a local pub owner on Sky News earlier said that she'd been told that his gun had a 2 mile radius or something? Sniper Rifle or something of the sort would be pretty f*cking hard to come by in Cumbria!

Eye witness said it was a 'long' gun with a big scope.

I'm bloody glad I decided against going for a walk up there today.

You've been watching too many movies!!

Personally I would ban the lot of them. My Mrs is a cop in LA and I have no interest at all in playing with her guns (ooh err!) but I am glad she have them when working!

Fair play to your missus.

I'm still waiting for my taxi in Seascale. I called a firm in Whitehaven. Bloke said he didn't know where I was, so I told him just shoot all the way down the A595 & he couldn't miss me... seems like he did though.

Very scary - if you're there.

I wonder how long it will be until one of our USandA friends comes along bemoaning the fact that the people who got shot weren't "packing heat".

yep, they seem to have an inbuilt mechanism. When some armed nutjob goes on a killing spree, the amurrican answer is always "more guns"

Is this why Corrie was replaced with Harry Hill? I assume that the current storyline was deemed insensitive, anyone familiar?

If so how laughable ridiculous. On a separate note, the news said he was known locally as Derek Bird. I wondered what he was known as nationally?

Is this why Corrie was replaced with Harry Hill? I assume that the current storyline was deemed insensitive, anyone familiar?

The wife tells me that some escaped prisoner was going to shoot some northerners in tonights episode.

Can I remind people that this is the Lounge. If you want to joke about a serious act, I'll happily move this to TMS.

Not jokimg StL, honest.

I really am interested as to why ITV replaced the programme with a comedy show. I'd have thought something more sombre would ahve been more appropriate.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

Reports on BBC said he was found in the Boot area. Typical police inefficiency that they couldn't even look round the back of his taxi for him.

Eye witness said it was a 'long' gun with a big scope.

I'm bloody glad I decided against going for a walk up there today.

Reading the eyewitness reports in the Independent today, one man saw him with the sniper rifle and it certainly sounded like the real deal, none of your cheapo knock-off Chinese imports. Full length, massive barrell, fully kitted out with scopes and sights and everything...chilling to think that anybody could go out and buy a gun like that.

Reports on BBC said he was found in the Boot area. Typical police inefficiency that they couldn't even look round the back of his taxi for him.

It's Cumbria, so isn't their whole Police force, just Nick Berry on a bicycle??

Trust me, you will eventually die.

Naturally though - I deserve it if I get lung cancer at 54, I deserve it if I am morbidly obese at 70. I don't deserve it if I'm walking down the road and some nutter blasts my backbone all over the walls of Argos.

Reading the eyewitness reports in the Independent today, one man saw him with the sniper rifle and it certainly sounded like the real deal, none of your cheapo knock-off Chinese imports. Full length, massive barrell, fully kitted out with scopes and sights and everything...chilling to think that anybody could go out and buy a gun like that.

I wouldn't trust an eyewitness report. One described it as a single-barrelled shotgun with a telescopic sight. Like anyone would have a 'scope on a shotgun.

I wouldn't trust an eyewitness report. One described it as a single-barrelled shotgun with a telescopic sight. Like anyone would have a 'scope on a shotgun.

Cumbria Police say he had 2 guns, a shotgun and a sniper rifle. ( Courtesy of the local news up here ).

SKY News -

'The sons of Derrick Bird have said they are "utterly devastated" by the death of their father and described him as "the nicest man you could ever meet".

In other news, Fred West is now prime minister and Hitler has been Knighted.