So another BA strike by cabin crew

TopGun

I was nearly always upgraded to business from economy ID90 when flying on my partners booking -even when she wasnt with me. Embarrassingly the cabin crew would often give me an unsolicited full carrier bag of spirit minitures and champagne to take as a carry off as well. Must cost BA a fortune.

So consider how a loyal customer feels when having accumulated over 250,000 airmiles, books an upgrade to business from traveller plus for a flight lasting 17 hours, arrives at the check-in to be downgraded even THOUGH they are a Gold Card member. Then sits back in Traveller Plus and finds the passenger next to him is staff who after the cabin door is shut is moved to an empty seat in First by a "fellow old fogey crew member"

It is not a "Perk" in BA it is a con. The reason the crew are "so old" compared to other airlines is that they understand the value of this perk and the ability to walk off with about 100 quid's worth of Duty Free which is then no doubt shared around friends each flight.

Now that was an entertaining evening.

BA hosted a business networking event and had a number of Senior Brass in town. Very low key, some beers and canapes and a general chance to chat with other ex pat businessmen.

Then adjourned to a pleasant posh bar and continued the chat. You regulars would have been proud of me, I raised a number of the thoughts raised on here with a VP, ranging from FF's problems through their business model and how their business model works. (OK they supplied BEER or I'd never have had the nerve)

Not mentioning names or quotes but interesting they have some sympathy for FF "he volunteered and thought he was doing the right thing to help people" - so he isn't the nasty person he's been made out to be..

They really still don't comprehend how ME airlines can keep ordering planes, although the discussion along the lines of "Well it is Ryanair/Easyjet's fault - it gave regional airports the idea of flying , they did that now want to go further and don't like Heathrow.

56% of Business Traffic has been lost in the recession - ouch - so now looking at thow they can add different value to their client base to get through the recession.

Nice event, very PC about the problems they have had and what they have to do to improve, but the highlight was the "We understand what he has to do, and it's a surprise he hasn't managed to get his message across, he's normally so eloquent when he posts on the forum or writes about his club"

ah bless TSW taking centre stage in Brit Industrial Relations

Just when we thought it wasn't possible for DP to get any more boring, he brings us this gem zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:yawn:

Sorry WSS, somebody thinks FF is a decent bloke. He's quite important on here, thought it was worth mentioning as he has had a lot of stick in general, including from me, but then I suppose you don't try and say "I was wrong" that often.

:yawn:

Sorry WSS, somebody thinks FF is a decent bloke. He's quite important on here, thought it was worth mentioning as he has had a lot of stick in general, including from me, but then I suppose you don't try and say "I was wrong" that often.

Hes not important on here. Hes just another poster with a habit of falling out with the people he works with.

Lol

The mess that was inherited by ANY government that won the election makes the cuts necessary.

If you have not noticed the control was brought to its knees by Brown and now the pain starts, this just makes the current BA strike so much more laughable really, what exactly are they actually striking for ??

Great post by Gemmel earlier, this will change the face of the union forever, the union is something i agree with in many cases, however this is completely different.

You're out of date, over the past few years the average public sector pay is greater than private sector plus they get the cast iron pension:

"Workers in the public sector are now being paid more than £2,000 extra a year compared with employees in the private sector, after public sector pay continued to race ahead of inflation.

The average public sector worker was paid £23,660 a year, compared with private sector workers who were paid £21,528 a year, in the three months to the end of November. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/7036131/Record-gap-between-public-and-private-sector-pay.html

They really still don't comprehend how ME airlines can keep ordering planes, although the discussion along the lines of "Well it is Ryanair/Easyjet's fault - it gave regional airports the idea of flying , they did that now want to go further and don't like Heathrow.

This is the crux of it. They can't blame easy jet or ryan air. It's a competative marketplace and the low cost airlines offered something that the consumer wanted and BA couldn't or wouldn't. Companies have to evolve and move with the times or they die. The problem at BA is that the Unions make change very difficult.

Hes not important on here. Hes just another poster with a habit of falling out with the people he works with.

True, but I don't believe anyone can argue that he isn't "important" on here if only from a historical perspective for starting the Poopey Takeover saga Thread

8)

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10695976

20 July 2010 Last updated at 13:45 BA cabin crew reject latest pay offer

_48420810_bastrike.jpg

British Airways cabin crew have rejected the airline's latest "final" pay offer by 3,419 votes to 1,686.

Almost half the 11,000 affected Unite union members voted on BA's offer of a 2.9% pay rise next year with 3% the year after.

The no vote raises the prospect of possible new strikes, as union leaders meet to decide their next move.

The vote is the latest landmark in a wrangle whose roots stretch back to before Christmas.

There may now be a move towards another strike ballot. The union has taken strike action on 22 days since March in a bitter industrial dispute that has cost BA more than £150m.

A Unite spokesman said: "The union will now meet with cabin crew representatives this afternoon to consider the next steps."

This means that about two thirds of the cabin staff who are Unite members either didn't vote or voted against. Put that with the Cabin Crew 89 members and non union cabin staff not involved plus the cabin staff at Gatwick and London City who are working normally and it pretty much finishes it. It wouldn't be surprising if the union calls it a day, tries to negotiate their way out of this mess but eventually recommends settlement, as the next strike could well now herald the collapse of the dispute and leave the management dictating the terms.

• 4 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11866508

If the snow doesn't get you first......not a good time to be planning a Christmas break me thinks.....

29 November 2010 Last updated at 14:07

BA cabin crew to be balloted on strike action

_49611956_ba.jpg

British Airways cabin crew are to be balloted again over possible new strike action in their long-running dispute with the airline.

The Unite union is complaining about BA's refusal to reinstate travel perks to crew members who have taken part in previous strikes.

• 3 months later...

good luck to ff and the cabin crew,i expect he takes no notice of the angry sad old daily mail brigade who seem to attack anything to do with the union and working people and happy for fat cats billionaires and bankers to get taxcuts to make them better of at our expense.

good luck to ff and the cabin crew,i expect he takes no notice of the angry sad old daily mail brigade who seem to attack anything to do with the union and working people and happy for fat cats billionaires and bankers to get taxcuts to make them better of at our expense.

Wow such a sweeping generalisation, ironically, you'd make an excellent daily mail journalist.

Well thank god BA are creating a new role that will effectively do the job plus a tad bit more of these dinosaurs in £60k+ a year... And yet the people that back the strike deplore greed?????

The dinosaurs on the old way over priced contracts are not getting many perks of the good trips.. Yet have the nerve to strike over perks.... Perks, something any company is well within their right to with draw without and explanation

he's important to someone seeing as i've just come back from work to find a land rover with a satellite ontop of it parked opposite his house, no idea how on earth that dish is going to get any signal it's quite woody around here.

Is it just BA cabin crew on this alledged £60k a year? Because Virgin are recruiting them at the moment and I saw an advery advertising pay at under £1000 a month...

yes it is..these people are on very old contracts....very old..fair play to them for keeping them but when they kick off about PERKS then it looks very greedy..

they are getting WAAAAAY above market rates for their role and do the least whilst in the air.........

good luck to them..but for **** sake....dont expect much support when your perks on your £60k-£80k a year job do not happen and the people on a fraction of your wage for doing a very similar job/same job are getting them....

like i said, BA are creating a new role that will effectively do the job of the dinosaurs on the new MIXED/Long haul fleet (i think) and they will get the good jobs/good trips and more perks...whilst those who strike will get nothing out of the ordinary...

virgin, believe it or not are on the fraction of BA staff wage....BA are one of t he best paid UK operators regardless of old or new contract