Saints fans jailed

Chez

Hold on a second, so is the issue "rioting"? If so, if missiles were hurled at a political march would the offenders be getting year long sentence? It has to be proportionate, a riot is a riot.

I doubt very much if political rioters would get a similar sentence...

A violent political protest is still a different situation in the main. There would rarely be 2 opposing groups of people at a political protest, the only exception I can think of offhand would be the Orange Marches in NI.

considering when i did some work for the probation service there were enough pedos to fill a community service bus, i think they have been sentenced rather harshly in comparison.

Just because they were out on probation when you dealing with them doesn't mean they hadn't served lengthy sentences.

A violent political protest is still a different situation in the main. There would rarely be 2 opposing groups of people at a political protest, the only exception I can think of offhand would be the Orange Marches in NI.

I would like to point out EDL and UAF marches, which clash on an almost weekly basis... with few arrests and convictions, but alot more violent disorder than was seen at the Portsmouth game. Infact only this weekend the UAF were attacking police officers!!! With no arrests, infact the police actually backed off so not to cause any more trouble. If only the Hampshire Constabulary had deployed the same preventative tactics instead of making decisions which increased the likelyhood of disorder tenfold.

http://www.thisishampshire.net/uk_national_news/8229635.Police_attacked_at_anti_racist_demo/?ref=mr

You think you're so clever? None of the charges towards any of these individuals related to incitement (as far as we currently know). They have been give 12months + prison sentences for as little as shaking a fence aggresively and it's a joke - or do I need to put that in capitals? Would be looking at possibly doubling (or close to) the sentences if any of these contested the charges and actually went not guilty. Madness and I find it disgusting the way some on here have literally got a hard-on from the fact that as a result of 1 minute of stupidity blokes with clear records, jobs, families, etc are looking at year long prison sentences (yes I know they won't have to serve all of it, but that's not really the point).

I hope most of the utterly smug c**ts on here never f**k up and do something rash and stupid and get an unduly harsh punishment for it.

I never said they did. But the crime of Violent disorder doesn't carry a set punishment. The punishment ranges and the judge has discretion to choose the punishment for each specific case. My point is that the fact that there was a risk of riot because of their actions was surely taken into account and a heavier than normal charge increased.

I'll ignore the patronising "You think you're clever" statement.

considering when i did some work for the probation service there were enough pedos to fill a community service bus, i think they have been sentenced rather harshly in comparison.

Abso-bloody-lutely, the contradictions that go on in our justice system are disgraceful, and we have arguably the best legal system about.

What is worth pointing out is, despite our overcrowded prisons, it costs more to enforce community service on a petty criminal/thug than it does to imprison them, through the cost of management/supervision, transport, insurance, damage costs etc.

Tell a crack addicted shoplifter to re-soil a roundabout and see how motivated they are!

Tell a well'ard football hooligan to do.. well... anything.... sod it, lock em up!

The fact that he hit an empty road is irrelivant. He threw it in the direction of a group of people, possibly inciting a riot. I've said this twice already now, so I'll put it in caps this time because its being conveniently ignored. IT IS INCITEMENT. THE PUNISHMENT IS MORE THAN IT WOULD BE IN A NORMAL SITUATION BECAUSE OF THE POTENTIAL OF A RIOT BECAUSE OF THE LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE INVOLVED. If he threw that chair, on camera, onto a road at 3am after a niteclub, he'd get the fine you're talking about. But he didn't did he? He threw it in the direction of hundreds of angry opposing fans and cops. He didn't hit anybody... but not for the want of trying.

The aggressor normally gets harsh treatment, in consideration of the chair throwing mug.

It does seem like this lot have been stitched up a bit by the law, making powerful political statements.

It was an exceptional day, saints and saints fans dominating the game for 60 mins, then it just turned on our heads. the skates awoke from their silence and started abusing the northam/itchen.

I felt my blood boil that day, I wanted to blow my top, ive never been so angry/hurt/frustrated at a game before in my life... However... as an adult... I was able to control my emotions, had a pint after the game, and went on my way.

I feel for this lot of saints fans, it was an exceptional day and a lot to stomach after the last 5 years at SFC.

Unfortunately if you start indulging in swinging chairs above your head, on police camera, you really are just bending over and applying lube for MR OB

All a bit of a shame really, but hey, if as SRS and the Turk keep pointing out, if they are respectable gentlemen Monday to Friday, they should only have to serve 50% of the sentence on good behavior, they'll be out for Xmas!

I had a look at the video twice now and the plastic chair did not seem to be thrown in the direction of any Portsmouth supporters, infact there were none anywhere near the incident. Also, as you seem to have put incitement in capitals, as far as I am aware, if it was incitement to riot, they would have been charged with this as well, if there was criminal damage caused, they would have been charged with this as well.

Police would not just charge someone with Violent Disorder ( which is to cause violence or make threats of violence whilst in a group of 3 or more ) if there was criminal damage caused by the individual or other then make no mistakes, they would have been charged with that offence as well, as they would for incitement to riot if they warranted it, or assault if they actually threw a punch.

It seems this chap done no more than toss a plastic chair into an empty road ( not at P*rstmouth fans ) and now he has to serve probably 6 months in prison for his actions. It does seem a little bit OTT. A community order and ban from football would have sufficed.

I presumed they were out of shot, apologies if I was wrong. It was thrown into an area with quite a number of police though.

I replied about the incitement bit already. I didn't mean it as a legal term or something they had been charged with.

I presumed they were out of shot, apologies if I was wrong. It was thrown into an area with quite a number of police though.

I replied about the incitement bit already. I didn't mean it as a legal term or something they had been charged with.

It was indeed thrown into an area with lots of police.

Was there intent to harm or cause injury though? I doubt it, it certainly doesn't seem to have been thrown with force at any specific person, it simply seems to have been tossed over the fence. So on that note, I find 14 months inprisonment for that, harsh to say the least.

That's my view, I will leave you to bicker now. :D

Was there intent to harm or cause injury though? I doubt it, it certainly doesn't seem to have been thrown with force at any specific person, it simply seems to have been tossed over the fence. So on that note, I find 14 months inprisonment for that, harsh to say the least.

Then why throw it? Seriously, I'm not trying to pick a fight, I normally ignore these things on here. But why throw a chair into a group of people if your intention isn't to harm?

I also said before that I don't think some of the sentences are justified, I'm trying to play devil's advocate. I just really believe that the fact that there were hundreds of people involved has led to much bigger sentences than would normally apply for these offences.

Didnt the one that got 14 months have a previous history or something? I guess that would have been taken into consideration when dishing out the punishment.

I agree the punishments seem harsh when compared to a similar incident away from football but harsh sentances seem to be the only thing so called football fans listen too. If a banning order and a slap on the wrist were to have been given I would bet the same mugs would be in the same situation at the next chance they got. Along with a few hundred more thinking they can have a bit of a ruck and if they get caught they will just get a slap on the wrist too.

With these sentances even the few who get carried away with the situation will think twice before they go as far next time and the hoolies the OB were probably hoping to catch will think even harder.

So while its a shame that these mugs have been harshly punished for there actions I cant complain as it will go a long way to keeping going to the footy with my kids a much more enjoyable experience.

Didnt the one that got 14 months have a previous history or something? I guess that would have been taken into consideration when dishing out the punishment.

I agree the punishments seem harsh when compared to a similar incident away from football but harsh sentances seem to be the only thing so called football fans listen too. If a banning order and a slap on the wrist were to have been given I would bet the same mugs would be in the same situation at the next chance they got. Along with a few hundred more thinking they can have a bit of a ruck and if they get caught they will just get a slap on the wrist too.

With these sentances even the few who get carried away with the situation will think twice before they go as far next time and the hoolies the OB were probably hoping to catch will think even harder.

So while its a shame that these mugs have been harshly punished for there actions I cant complain as it will go a long way to keeping going to the footy with my kids a much more enjoyable experience.

and there-in lies the reasoning behind the sentences......

Are you saying that them losing their jobs, having their lives turned upside down, children having their parents taken away is an acceptable punishment for throwing a fookin coin?

You seriously are retarded.

Well I got to ask, Why aren't you in prison with them STU? Or MLG? Or ME? Simple, because we didn't get involved in that. I was there on the day, with my daughter and even if I wasn't with her I wouldn't have been involved. I think you will find not only are the sentaces harsh because of 'football violence' but also for the damage and costs as well. I do have some sympathy with them, but at the end of the day, and this is harsh too, they did it and they have to pay the price.

And as we know, in the real world money is more importatnt than life, unless it is hundreds of millions then it is acceptable.

You ignored the £30,000 of criminal damage. Also this may have been their last chance and were told if they did anything again they'd get a custodial sentence.

They ripped the hub caps and wing mirrors off of the garages cars... causing £30,000 worth of damage and probably much more cost in terms of the work the people at the garage must have had to do afterwards. Sorry its the people, who are almost certainly other Saints Fans, who had to pick up the pieces afterwards that I feel sorry for. Mindless idiots like this deserve to be in jail and prevented from breeding, they are polluting the gene pool.

I don't undertand this 'empty street' thing. The chair only just misses the police officers. It was obviously aimed at them, with intent.

If you swing for a stranger, you might get away with it. If you swing for a stranger in view of a police officer, you're likely to get a fine or short sentence. But, if you swing for a police officer, you will have the full force of the law thrown at you, and if you have previous, will almost certainly get six months. The chair was obviously intended to injure a police officer.

I don’t feel the slightest sympathy for those involved. They had plenty of warning, they have seen how police tackle football disorders in the past. They could see the CCTV cameras. But still they decided to try and incite a potentially dangerous situation for the police to handle. They are definitely causing a public order offence, whether that is (merely) 'affray', or more accurately 'violent disorder' (possibly even verging on 'riot'). There is no way these people didn't know what the penalty would be. Hopefully this will warn others away from acting as stupidly in the future. Unfortunately, somehow I doubt it will.

What is worse, is the sickening way in which some on here have continuously suggested that the actions of those found guilty was in some way trivial, or that the police entrapped them. They offended. They offended in full knowledge of the penalties. They offended in full view of the cameras. They deserve everything they get.

I thought this board had a policy of punishing posters who support violence behaviour.

Edited by Joensuu

WTF? Can people on here honestly tell me how often their football going experiences are ruined by hooliganism these days? I know loads of families that have been going week in, week out to football and have never had it effect them, even in the 80s, so what does this have to do with anything?

I can't think of one possible reason why the incident at the Freebourne garages would have had any impact on the day out of any Saints fans at that game.

Yet another very strange point made on this thread.

I can't think of one possible reason why the incident at the Freebourne garages would have had any impact on the day out of any Saints fans at that game.

Pretty sure it ruined the day of the Saints Fans who work at Freebourne Garages! What about if you had to get past this group with children on your way home and they were half scared to death? What if you don't like violence and seeing it ruined your day? What about if you were a Saints supporting Policeman getting a chair thrown at you by a bunch of idiots?

It's pretty easy for someone of average intelligence to think of some reasons why this may have ruined the experience of Saints fans at the game.

Pretty sure it ruined the day of the Saints Fans who work at Freebourne Garages! What about if you had to get past this group with children on your way home and they were half scared to death? What if you don't like violence and seeing it ruined your day? What about if you were a Saints supporting Policeman getting a chair thrown at you by a bunch of idiots?

It's pretty easy for someone of average intelligence to think of some reasons why this may have ruined the experience of Saints fans at the game.

Yet another individual posting about something they know nothing about! Why? You clearly don't know what you are posting about, so why write on a public forum?

No-one had to walk past this incident! It was at the far side of a car park, up against a fence, with Pompey fans the other side. There can't have been more than one or maybe two individuals working at the garage that day, I can appreciate it wouldn't have been a hugely pleasant experience for them, but they were not threatened or attacked in anyway. There were plenty of women and kids and general Saints fans hanging around watching it happen, all looking/feeling fairly unthreatened.

WTF? Can people on here honestly tell me how often their football going experiences are ruined by hooliganism these days? I know loads of families that have been going week in, week out to football and have never had it effect them, even in the 80s, so what does this have to do with anything?

Yet another very strange point made on this thread.

Personally I wouldnt have taken my kids to a saints v poopy match just to make sure they dont get injured by mindless idiots lobbing coins and chairs around. I would have more expected it to be from the blue mindless idiots but none the less I thought it would be sensible to pass that game by and watch it on the tv.

Maybe the next time Saints play poopy the mindless idiots will be a bit more thoughtfull in there actions and I might think there is less chance my kids could get hurt. Derby games are what its all about and to get one over your rivals and be there to be a part of it is amazing. So I would love my kids to experience it. Not going to happen as long as there are mindless idiots there intent on turning a footy match into a riot though. As long as the OB are being harsh on Football related crime the more chance my kids have of going to one of these games.

Or would you rather the PB did nothing and wait for full scale riots to occur before they stepped in with a few slapped wrists?

I got punched at the pub last week. Nothing came of it. If this was at the football, the other bloke no doubt would now be in prison.

I actually LOL'd at the Daily Echo report too, their description of the events were exaggerated I felt. "Terrifying scenes" yeah right, I saw women, children, shirters and old people laughing and following the 'action', stood at the garage, goading Pompey fans, chasing it all down around Northam up to Brittania Road.

One simple question. Are any of us going to feel safer at St Marys next season knowing that these 12 guys, who weren't know to Hampshire police as trouble makers, are behind bars?

If thats how not known trouble makers get treated then the likly hood of known trouble makers turning up to cause trouble is much lower so yes I would probably feel a little safer and more likly to bring my kids.

It won't necessarily make me feel safer as I can look after myself and drink down the Plume, but it might make some of the older fans or families that attend games feel safer, and that is agood thing.

All I can say is "Good riddance to bad rubbish". I'm just saddened that the sentence wasn't longer. These sort of criminals will only get out after a few months and egged on by their brain-dead mates (the likes of whom can be seen on here) repeat the offences they commited to get in trouble in the first place. They don't accept what they did was wrong so will simply do it again.....maybe next time they will kill someone. Maybe that's what people are waiting for? I bet there would stuill be some on here who would defend these potential murderers.

Throw away the bloody key is my advice to the authorities (or at least see to it that there are "accidents" that these thugs are involved in whilst inside)

Personally I wouldnt have taken my kids to a saints v poopy match just to make sure they dont get injured by mindless idiots lobbing coins and chairs around. I would have more expected it to be from the blue mindless idiots but none the less I thought it would be sensible to pass that game by and watch it on the tv.

Maybe the next time Saints play poopy the mindless idiots will be a bit more thoughtfull in there actions and I might think there is less chance my kids could get hurt. Derby games are what its all about and to get one over your rivals and be there to be a part of it is amazing. So I would love my kids to experience it. Not going to happen as long as there are mindless idiots there intent on turning a footy match into a riot though. As long as the OB are being harsh on Football related crime the more chance my kids have of going to one of these games.

Or would you rather the PB did nothing and wait for full scale riots to occur before they stepped in with a few slapped wrists?

I took my 7yo and sat in our usual seats in the family centre with plenty of other kids. They loved it and are not emotionally scared from the experience nor did I or they ever feel threatened. The same can be said for all the "high risk" games such as Millwall and Leeds.

Some people need to grow a pair.

Utter b*******s as always from you. There were probably thousands of kids there that day, their parents showed some savvy and they all had an enjoyable and safe day. I wouldn't walk my kids around by the away end after a heated derby match, same way as I wouldn't walk them along a high street full or bars at chucking out time or take them to a lively music concert. As stated above, there is absolutely no reason why this incident would have had any impact on any kids there that day supporting Saints.

And as for your final pont, the police sat back and let the incident happen (could be argued that they wanted it to happen, hence taking the unusal step of letting the fans out at the same time), they clearly weren't overly bothered about disorder breaking out.

I took my 7yo and sat in our usual seats in the family centre with plenty of other kids. They loved it and are not emotionally scared from the experience nor did I or they ever feel threatened. The same can be said for all the "high risk" games such as Millwall and Leeds.

Some people need to grow a pair.

TBH I wouldnt expect any problems sitting in the family stand. But outside the ground with a bunch of moronic poopy fans near by I would have half expected things to be thrown and saints fans to react. I just dont fancy putting 3 kids under 11 into that kind of situation. Taking my kids into a potenial riot situation to show I have grown a pair doesnt seem like the way forward to me.

With all that said, the OB should have done better but it still doesnt excuse the mindless idiots getting involved.

Southampton v Yeovil

Charge - Violent Disorder

Offence - Stamping on persons head.

Sentence - Suspended sentence and 3 year football ban.

Southampton v Portsmouth

Offence - Grabbing a Fence

Sentence - 12 months inprisonment, 6 year ban from football.

Offence - Tossing a plastic chair in the air, hitting nobody.

Sentence - 14 months inprisonment. 6 year ban from football.

I don't think anyone is saying they don't deserve to be punished... but there is a severe lack of consistancy, which I think is what peoples gripe is.

What do you class as more severe? Grabbing a fence or stamping on someones head?

I think I know which one I would rather see punished.

Edited by Dave Benson Phillips

Utter b*******s as always from you. There were probably thousands of kids there that day, their parents showed some savvy and they all had an enjoyable and safe day. I wouldn't walk my kids around by the away end after a heated derby match, same way as I wouldn't walk them along a high street full or bars at chucking out time or take them to a lively music concert. As stated above, there is absolutely no reason why this incident would have had any impact on any kids there that day supporting Saints.

And as for your final pont, the police sat back and let the incident happen (could be argued that they wanted it to happen, hence taking the unusal step of letting the fans out at the same time), they clearly weren't overly bothered about disorder breaking out.

Nice to know my opinion is utter BS. Im sure there is a label for your opinion too but I cant be bothered to get into that.

Had I taken my kids I would have expected the poopy lot to be kept in after so if my route home takes me anywhere near the away end (which when im staying in Southampton it does) I would have walked right out and been not far from the problems. Plenty of familys there your right but I still wouldnt have been happy looking after 3 kids when all that was going on.

What actually happened wasnt that much but the courts have delt with it in such a way that the liklyhood of it getting worse next time is greatly reduced and maybe next time I will take my kids along. Had they done naff all the chances are that next time may be more serious would mean I would be less likly to take my kids.

The police didnt do enough to stop it happening clearly as they let the poopy lot out at the same time but they did enough to keep the 2 sets of fans apart. Maybe they should have just sat back completly and let the mindless idiots beat each other to death. then dish out a few banning orders for being very naughty boys.

Southampton v Yeovil

Southampton v Portsmouth

I don't think anyone is saying they don't deserve to be punished... but there is a severe lack of consistancy, which I think is what peoples gripe is.

What do you class as more sever? Grabbing a fence or stamping on someones head?

Agree completly but that just highlights up how stupid the sentance was for saints v yeovil.

If these tougher sentances are the new bench mark and are followed up with more tougher sentances for future problems then it should reduce the problems in and around footy.

If the sentances carry on like they did for the saints v yeovil incident then its not really going to deter mindless idiots at all is it?

By the time we next play them most will have forgotten about these sentances and the same will occur, unless of course, the Police ensure the majority of our fans have dispersed before opening the doors to them which should have happened this time, those intent on 'meeting up' will do so irrespective but that would be a limited few.

DBP's post above highlights how inconsitent and disproportionate these sentances are

I have to say that the punishment is very harsh for the crime when you look at what is going on in the world.

If this wasnt Football related I can't see the sentences would be the same.

I am not saying they should be let off if they were not involved they wouldnt have a problem but I do think it is harsh.

why do some people insist on refering to the Skates as Poopy? They deserve to have a coin thrown at them just for the irritation factor of that stupid word.

You would have to have a strong arm to throw it at me then.

If you want to call them by there proper name then do it. Skates is another word that we use and as I am and have been for years a skater I dont like to insult my 4 wheeled footwear by labeling them down the road with the same word, i choose a different word that makes it both clear who I am talking about while also thinking of sh it.

I can't think of one possible reason why the incident at the Freebourne garages would have had any impact on the day out of any Saints fans at that game

There can't have been more than one or maybe two individuals working at the garage that day, I can appreciate it wouldn't have been a hugely pleasant experience for them, but they were not threatened or attacked in anyway.

If you are working somewhere and £30,000 worth of damage is caused there at the time, I am pretty sure they would feel threatened, and the point you were making was that it wouldn’t have an impact, which obviously it would, as you have just stated in your second; contradictory post.

FWIW I agree that there is a lack of consistency in the English and Welsh justice system (know nothing about the separate Scottish courts) in terms of sentencing. However, blaming the police for the incident or playing the incident down is not a valid argument, its like blaming tree’s for global warming because they don’t convert enough CO2 into oxygen.

If you are working somewhere and £30,000 worth of damage is caused there at the time, I am pretty sure they would feel threatened, and the point you were making was that it wouldn’t have an impact, which obviously it would, as you have just stated in your second; contradictory post.

FWIW I agree that there is a lack of consistency in the English and Welsh justice system (know nothing about the separate Scottish courts) in terms of sentencing. However, blaming the police for the incident or playing the incident down is not a valid argument, its like blaming tree’s for global warming because they don’t convert enough CO2 into oxygen.

No not necesarrily, depends on the way the damage was done. There were plenty of normal fans just hanging around in the garages watching all this,including women and fairly young kids. Oh and one or maybe two people out of 30k feeling a bit intimated is unfortunate, but should hardly be classed as a riot. This wasn't a riot or anything like it, it was shaking the fence, chucking a plastic chair and some coins, no "innocent bystander" Saints fans were affected and any skates there could have moved further away, rather than standing there goading and chucking stuff back, like many of us witnessed. Stupid, irresponsible behaviour? Yes? Worthy of these heavy sentences? Certainly not.

One simple question. Are any of us going to feel safer at St Marys next season knowing that these 12 guys, who weren't know to Hampshire police as trouble makers, are behind bars?

Yes, because all the yobs now know where they stand. Behave or go to jail.

TBH I wouldnt expect any problems sitting in the family stand. But outside the ground with a bunch of moronic poopy fans near by I would have half expected things to be thrown and saints fans to react. I just dont fancy putting 3 kids under 11 into that kind of situation. Taking my kids into a potenial riot situation to show I have grown a pair doesnt seem like the way forward to me.

With all that said, the OB should have done better but it still doesnt excuse the mindless idiots getting involved.

Strange how we managed to walk to and from the game, 2 adults with three kids under 10, without an issue.

We saw no rioting or disorder.

Potential riot situation my arse.

Stu - if I was to come around your house and throw stones at your car causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage, what punishment would you be happy for me to receive?

Or, in other words, what level of punishment would you put in place that would deter me from doing it in the first place?

Genuine question.

Trousers, the thing is we all know if that did happe n the police would either take no action or the perpetrator would get a 25quid fine and 5 hours community service. Do not tell me he would get 12 months inside. That is why I believe it was harsh

Trousers, the thing is we all know if that did happe n the police would either take no action or the perpetrator would get a 25quid fine and 5 hours community service. Do not tell me he would get 12 months inside. That is why I believe it was harsh

But that's my point. I was asking Stu what level of deterent (aka punishment) he would put in place rather than, as you rightly point out, the inconsistent malaise that we have now.

So, yep, totally agree but my question was seeking a solution to the existing problem

Well do they have any 'previous'? if they dont then that suggests they are apart from one moment of madness. As far as i am aware only one or two do, so the vast majority would be considered law abising citizens, have jobs, families, etc which they risk losing because of 2 minutes of stupidity. But seriously, 14 months for throwing a plastic chair, 12 months for throwing a stone, stuck in prison in Parkhurst with murders, armed robbers etc, do you seriously think that is right?

Look, I already pointed out that I'm not passing comment on whether the severity of the punishment was commensurate with the seriousness or otherwise of the crime. Neither do I make anything of whether these people had previous or not. I simply do not accept that anybody can be categorised as being a model decent and law abiding citizen if they acted in the way that these people did who have been meted out jail sentences. How much is excusable as being one moment of madness? If it was drink related, then at least there is an excuse of them not being compos mentis perhaps, although of course that does not qualify as a let off if they get behind the wheel of a car. It seems to me that this one moment of madness could be used to excuse all manner of criminal activity, whereas most law-abiding citizens would be incapable of these misdemeanours, almost by definition.

Southampton v Yeovil

Southampton v Portsmouth

What do you class as more severe? Grabbing a fence or stamping on someones head?

I think I know which one I would rather see punished.

Well its obvious the judge who gave out the sentence for the Yeovil game didn't give out a harsh enough one for the idiots at the Portsmouth game to pay enough attention, perhaps the sentences handed out for the Portsmouth game will make people sit up and take notice, and hence the harshness if the sentences,

You would have to have a strong arm to throw it at me then.

If you want to call them by there proper name then do it. Skates is another word that we use and as I am and have been for years a skater I dont like to insult my 4 wheeled footwear by labeling them down the road with the same word, i choose a different word that makes it both clear who I am talking about while also thinking of sh it.

skateboarding should be a crime

Well its obvious the judge who gave out the sentence for the Yeovil game didn't give out a harsh enough one for the idiots at the Portsmouth game to pay enough attention, perhaps the sentences handed out for the Portsmouth game will make people sit up and take notice, and hence the harshness if the sentences,

Without being pedantic, the Yeovil incident went to court AFTER the Portsmouth game had been played.

I can't believe some of the smug cu'nts on here taking great enjoyment in a group of fellow saints fans being stitched up by the police / government conspiracy. The police deliberately let the skates out at the same time. They then sat back at filmed rubbing their hands knowing it would kick off and thanks very much those convictions will earn them another season of cushty overtime. All the best to the lads involved, none of them deserve a custodial hopefully they and their families will be ok. It disgusts me the saints fans will be entering prison passing rapists, muggers at peados on their way out on early release. This country has its priorities all wrong.

I can't believe some of the smug cu'nts on here taking great enjoyment in a group of fellow saints fans being stitched up by the police / government conspiracy. The police deliberately let the skates out at the same time. They then sat back at filmed rubbing their hands knowing it would kick off and thanks very much those convictions will earn them another season of cushty overtime. All the best to the lads involved, none of them deserve a custodial hopefully they and their families will be ok. It disgusts me the saints fans will be entering prison passing rapists, muggers at peados on their way out on early release. This country has its priorities all wrong.

The sentences do seem harsh but in terms of a detterent they are just what was needed. In recent years hooliganism has once again grown and it's only tough action such as this that will make the hoodlums think twice. If in future derbies there is less trouble then you'll be grateful that the courts took this action.