Portsmouth report Campbell abuse

Secret Site Agent

'Portsmouth intend to make an official complaint to the Football Association over insults aimed at Sol Campbell by Spurs fans at Fratton Park last Sunday.'

'When interviewed, the 34-year-old club captain said," I can live with the abuse for leaving Tottenham, and the racial abuse to a point, but when they called me a Skate, and said I had married my own sister, I knew they had gone too far.'

In a statement Portsmouth said: "Both Sol and the club feel no player should be subjected to personal abuse of this nature and that it has no place in football. What a man wishes to do with a fish in the comfort of his own home is his affair.'

'When approached for a comment, manager Harry Redknap stated, '..How much you willing to pay me for the interview'.

Allegedly.

Which brings me to the serious point of my thread. Slagging of ex-players, is there a point, is it justified or is it all just a lot of hot air. Should it be tollerated? Or is there nothing wrong with a bit of banter to the ex-hero. I know we have had our words rammed down our throats recently.

Remember, clear, concise, coherent, well thought out constructive arguments only please.

What about the abuse the Skates gave Arry when he was our manager?

Most of that was pure hatred.

Pot and kettle?

Naaah, that was all put on. We all knew he was our agent on a manage and destroy mission, we had to do that to maintain his cover, otherwise you would start saying, he doesn't care about us. It was THE big secret. Harry was so excited at the end of that match that you don't talk about that he almost blew his cover by giving the thumbs up to Milan. He almost blew it again by wearing a blue top on the day you were relegated. With hindsight the truth of this must be pretty obvious to you. We were just releived you fell for it at the time. Even more releived when we got our man back to his spiritual home. I'm sure that now you can see the unbounded love we have for the man, not least when the 200,000 turned out on Southsea Common to applaud him.

The Spuds on the other hand was just hatred.

A bit of banter is always good in football. But I have never quite understood the 'lets chant about oppositions players personal lifes' mentality. Neither have I understood how many fans seen inclined to make hand gestures and call them evry name under the sun when they come over to take a throw, or a corner. This continues when a team scores a goal a lot of the fans turn to the oppositions fans and start goading them. When we score a goal I cheer I don't consider it one over the other fans. Although this is a bit extremist I do wonder if this sort of thing is responsible for peoples lack of repect towards each other in society. As it’s hardly frowned upon to shout abuse at people (other fans, players referees) for no real reason.

I think the chants about Campbell were perfectly acceptable, It's part of the game. Any Skate complaining should remember the sort of abuse they dished out to Redcrap at St Marys in January 2005.

Also as one poster mentioned on the muppet show, have they forgotton the abuse they gave Ted Bates during the minutes silence?

Also, it IS part of the game to some extent and players have to expect this. I today, when I eventually leave, will give Leon Best some abuse purely for being dog **** in that playoff second leg.

as I put on the other thread Ashley Cole took horrendous stick but Hr said nothing.he went and had a hissy fit about his treatment at Villa and it worked fans have left him alone since and as he knows Sol is so sensitive he is trying it again as he is likely to disappear again any time soon.

Get his own house in order and then Id agree but until then he should shut up

As long as no racism is involved, I really don't have any moral objection to people shouting abuse at players and rival supporters during a match. If anything it lets out steam and if all shouting and singing was banned, we'd probably have a lot more rival fans tw*ting each other in the nearest watering hole after the game.

And yes, maintaining as neutral as possible a view on it, Redknapp is a f*cking hypocrit.

Also as one poster mentioned on the muppet show, have they forgotton the abuse they gave Ted Bates during the minutes silence?

Also, it IS part of the game to some extent and players have to expect this. I today, when I eventually leave, will give Leon Best some abuse purely for being dog **** in that playoff second leg.

Disrupting the Ted Bates minute silence was completely unacceptable and shameful. I hope they have given up coming to our games.

Disrupting the Ted Bates minute silence was completely unacceptable and shameful. I hope they have given up coming to our games.

Actually i agree with Eyes k8 on this one.

There were only a handful of Skates that broke the silence and every Pompey fan i have spoken to since were as disgusted as we were.

Although i cant understand why they smashed up their own town when they won when we went down to FP?????

Edited by rocknrollman no2

Actually i agree with Eyes k8 on this one.

There were only a handful of Skates that broke the silence and every Pompey fan i have spoken to since were as disgusted as we were.

Although i cant understand why they smashed up their own town when they won when we went down to FP?????

It was more than a handful.

One of the Spurs songs was predictable but the other one was going a bit far. That said, Pompey can't really complain after some of the stuff Dave Jones copped when he was at Wolves from their fans - particularly after Rix had been their manager. I still say the worst song I've ever heard was from Leeds at the Dell in the mid-90s at a midweek game. Their fans were steaming drunk and sang their notorious "Munich Air Disaster" song at full volume and it's a real sickener. So drunk were some of the Leeds fans that they were urinating at the back of the East Stand upper tier at half-time and it was running down onto their own fans below (The Dell was never reknowned for it's plentiful toilets).

As long as no racism is involved, I really don't have any moral objection to people shouting abuse at players and rival supporters during a match. If anything it lets out steam and if all shouting and singing was banned, we'd probably have a lot more rival fans tw*ting each other in the nearest watering hole after the game.

Really? So homophobic and other bull**** like the stuff shouted at Campbell is all fair play? Do you know what they were singing? I cannot remember the full chant but they were rhyming lunacy, hanging from a tree and HIV.

Is that really just harmless letting off steam?

Really? So homophobic and other bull**** like the stuff shouted at Campbell is all fair play? Do you know what they were singing? I cannot remember the full chant but they were rhyming lunacy, hanging from a tree and HIV.

I think it's fine. It's only a song FFS.

Rupert Lowe didn't really get hung from the Itchen Bridge, and Posh Spice didn't really **** Brett Ormerod.

Sol Sol, wherever you may be

Not long now 'til lunacy

And we don't give a **** if you're hanging from a tree

Judas cnnt with HIV

No racism in there at all. In fact, I think the Spurs fans should be applauded for the way they managed to get the words to scan well with a difficult tune and awkward syllable arrangement.

Their rendition of OWTSGMI also reminds me of the Itchen Corner (R.I.P)'s version and knocks spots off of the rubbish 100mph Northam one.

Sol Sol, wherever you may be

Not long now 'til lunacy

And we don't give a **** if you're hanging from a tree

Judas cnnt with HIV

No racism in there at all. In fact, I think the Spurs fans should be applauded for the way they managed to get the words to scan well with a difficult tune and awkward syllable arrangement.

Their rendition of OWTSGMI also reminds me of the Itchen Corner (R.I.P)'s version and knocks spots off of the rubbish 100mph Northam one.

They should get a song writing gong for that effort.

Poor Sol has always been a delicate little flower.

The HIV bit was in poor taste IMO, although none of it was particularly pleasant.

Personally I wouldn't sing that to a player, however I do regard it as just part of football. If Campbell doesn't like it, he should just resign from his £90k a week contract and go and get a job stacking shelves in some Asda, far away from North London. As of yet he hasn't done that, which leads me to believe he can't be all that upset about it.

You can't move from Spuds to Arse on a Bosman and expect the 'Yid Army' to send you flowers and Belgian chocolates.

I have as it happens. She was a proper stunner as well.

But then he went and blew by wearing a shiny white suit, which strangely enough, looked really camp.

Having a bird on his arm doesn't mean anything, lets face it Elton John went to the lengths of actually getting married in a bid to hide his orientation! ;)

I think it's fine. It's only a song FFS.

Rupert Lowe didn't really get hung from the Itchen Bridge, and Posh Spice didn't really **** Brett Ormerod.

I understand that but there weren't many rumours of Lowe hanging himself or Ormerod nobbing Beckham, the Spurs chants were based in rumours which have a grounding in reality, particularly the fact that Campbell has had mental health issues.

No racism in there at all.
I quite agree, but what I was saying was just because a chant is not racist doesn't make it alright.

I appreciate that singing songs close to the line is all part of footballing banter, Spurs are not the only ones, there are Hillsborough/Munich/Gas chamber songs other teams have sung in the past. They will continue to sing them too. Doesn't mean I don't find them horrible.

This is old news I am afraid people. The Sol chant was sung as far back as 2006:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-99768.html

..reported near the bootom of the page, by "JunglistSoldja".

I was at Fratton when they played Arsenal, when a kid, who couldn't have been older than 10, was spouting some real filth (useless f***ing c**t, etc). When someone challenged the kids Dad (assumed), they were told in no uncertain terms to "mind thier own ****ing business, or else...". And who was the abuse aimed at? None other than their now hero Sol. Thankfully, the stewards did intervene and it stopped.

Sadly, abusive chants can be quite nasty and personal, but I don't think they will ever go away.