Debuts the best or most unforgetable?

Nadia Sllim

When I was a young lad, Osgoods was the one I will never forget. Night match vrs Leicester City that unique Dell atmosphere under the lights.

Missed Keegans as sister got married and never got to see Ali Dia's. But lately been lucky to have seen Bales and Walcotts first team debuts.

Paul Gilchrist scored on his debut in a night match against Newcastle in february 1974,which we won 3-1,after going behind to a Malcolm Macdonald goal. One of the last games we won that season as we were relegated. David Peach scored as well,and it may have been his debut also.

A great game to remember, Andy. But Gilly signed 2 years earlier and made his debut at Liverpool. :rolleyes:

Shearer. To see a 17 year old run himself into the ground and score a hat-trick against "the mighty arsenal" before being subbed to a standing ovation.....spine tingling stuff.

Honourable mention to Graham Baker too - although if you were late getting to the game you would have missed his best contribution as he scored within 60 seconds!

Shearer. To see a 17 year old run himself into the ground and score a hat-trick against "the mighty arsenal" before being subbed to a standing ovation.....spine tingling stuff.

Honourable mention to Graham Baker too - although if you were late getting to the game you would have missed his best contribution as he scored within 60 seconds!

who was that against?

Henri Camara's against Everton in the relegation season.

Beat me to it, doh!!

That performance was something else; it was just incredible. I remember thinking we'd just signed someone who potentially could be a world-beater, but as time has shown he was never able to replicate it on a regular basis. He was nevertheless one of Harry's better signings along with Quashie.

3 great ones not mentioned.

Micky Channon scored with a header against Bristol City and a lot of us didn't know who he was. Team change announcements were not that reliable back then.

Bobby Stokes - 2 goals against Burnley, looked a great prospect

Steve Williams - at Pomp*y, he looked some player and we won 1-0

I remember Kevin Phillips' debut being a big impact. Away at Leicester opening day of season, 2-0 down at half time, Anders was out his depth up front. Phillips comes on with no pre-season training and hits a 30 yard screamer in top corner and then hits the post from another long ranger for Beatts to tap in the equaliser.

I might be wrong, but I remember Marian Pahars having a big impact the first time he started. At the time as I recall we were in big trouble and then we saw this little guy who could suddenly finish and terrify the opposition. Anyone remember who he made his first team debut against?

he came on as sub against someone in the cup...im sure..and I thought this little fella is a terrior....

then he destroyed everton and the rest is history

The ones that stick in my mind are Steve Williams in an evening match at Pompey just before the Cup Final in 1976 and Ronnie Ekelund at Coventry in 199? - one of the matches that Grobbelar allegedly tried to fix.

You just beat me to the Ronnie Ekelund one. I remember the newspaper headline from the match report "Le Tissier finds a twin"

Without doubt Alan Shearer, up the Milton Rd end when he smacked in the rebound off the bar for his hat trick, so determined to score even at that age.

And sat in the East Stand watching our new silky central defender in a pre season friendly thinking this guy is class - Claus actually!

Henri Camara's against Everton in the relegation season.

Henri's debut was away at Brum when he came on for Kenwyne Jones at half time. He scored pretty much straight away. Jones' display was one of the worst I have ever seen in a Saints shirt, right up there with Steve Baker's nightmare.

Henri's debut was away at Brum when he came on for Kenwyne Jones at half time. He scored pretty much straight away. Jones' display was one of the worst I have ever seen in a Saints shirt, right up there with Steve Baker's nightmare.

Redknapp, the genius manager that he is :rolleyes:, played him on the right of a 5 man midfield. Brilliant.

he came on as sub against someone in the cup...im sure..and I thought this little fella is a terrior....

then he destroyed everton and the rest is history

He first came on as sub away to Coventry, nothing special about that. we lost 1-0 and he looked so small. He then made his home debut coming on against Blackburn. I think we were 3-1 down and drew 3-3 and nearly won it. He scored with a header.

I remember going to Nick Holmes' testimonial match, a pre-season friendly in 1986 against one of the big Portuguese teams. Saints' team included a gawky, clumsy-looking 17-year-old who I'd never heard of - he was skinny, had a big nose and certainly didn't look like much to get excited about. But when he got the ball, it was a revelation - his control and touch were nothing short of astonishing.

I think his name was Matthew something...

Most of my favs have been mentioned already.

Alan Shearer's hat trick against one of the meanest defenses in the land.

Ossies debut really caught the publics imagination, the previous home game had just over 17000 and Ossies debut for a mid week game had over 26500 and boy did the place rock that night. Probably the first time that I can remember the whole ground singing, real shivers down the spine stuff that could only happen at The Dell on a cold wet evening game.

Stevie Williams bossing the game at Notarf Krap, only in the team because a few of the senior players over indulged after our semi final win a few days prior!! Apparently he went storming into Lawries office to find out why he wasn't in the reserve teams line up that week, calmed down a bit when lawrie showed him the 1st team line up!!!

Great goal scoring debuts for Graham Baker, Bobby Stokes and Steve Moran. Kevin Keegans long awaited start, after the deal had been announced 6 months previously, really showed our intent.

Finally ... not an individual's ... but St Mary's itself. Not the friendlies but the season opener to all star Chelsea. OK we lost, but living out of the country this was the first time I had actually seen the ground in the flesh ..... at last we had arrived in the big time .. all the extra revenue would surely take us up another level ..... little did I know!!! But at least it is ours now and will hopefully be packed to the rafters again for every home game.