Students

Thedelldays

A thread ending key point!

Time to lock this one please mods, weve finished up here.

Not quite over yet Jonnyboy

Well if they're the brightest of the bright they go to Oxford and do 'PPE' (Politics, Philosophy and Economics), not economics. This trains them to see the world in a less disconnected way. Higher education, they'll learn, is both a public good and a private benefit. The public good is easy enough to see, because without it, this country would be about on a par with Albania as an an economic powerhouse. The country benefits hugely from the training and development of a kind of intellectual gene pool. There is a strong correlation between the percentage of people who have a university education and prosperity. (The US educates a higher proportion than us; a powerful tiger economy like S Korea educates 80% of its 21 year olds to university standard).

Many of the so called "University" courses are in fact 2 year vocational courses.

According to the OECD, 53% of students have a tertiary education, so Verbal is playing sily ******** with the numbers again, find out more:

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/53/49/42689417.pdf

Even his beloved BBC, have stats much lower than 80%.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/education_some_of_the_oecd_education_comparisons/html/1.stm

One thing I will give the S Koreans (which Verbal fails to mention) is that there is a specific focus on VET (Vocational Educational Training) and one thing for sure is that they are not all doing Film Studies, Media Studies, Equine Studies or Sports Science.

Also, their best university ranks 164th in the world, so it is not quite as fandabbydozy as Verbal would have you believe

http://www.academicleadership.org/article/why-south-korean-universities-have-low-international-rankings/jambor

Compared with the US, that occupy 17 of the top 20 universities in the world (with Ox and Cambs in there too), with South Korea it could be a case of quantity over quality.

Edited by Johnny Bognor

Compared with the US, that occupy 17 of the top 20 universities in the world (with Ox and Cambs in there too), with South Korea it could be a case of quantity over quality.

Not quite right Johnny. Cambridge is ranked the best university in the world with Oxford and Imperial College also in the top 10. Switzerland, Australia and Canada each have one in the top 20 also.

The problem is, IMHO, the Brits have become too hung up on having unis competing with the US ones.

Germany, for example, doesn't and nor do the Benelux or Scandinavian states and no one would suggest that their HE sector is poor but what they do do, way better than us, is service the needs of business/the state.

Perhaps if politicos/uni chancellors of all ilks concentrated on what uni was actually for, instead of where they are ranked on a global scale, the whole system would turn out better.

The problem is, IMHO, the Brits have become too hung up on having unis competing with the US ones.

Germany, for example, doesn't and nor do the Benelux or Scandinavian states and no one would suggest that their HE sector is poor but what they do do, way better than us, is service the needs of business/the state.

Perhaps if politicos/uni chancellors of all ilks concentrated on what uni was actually for, instead of where they are ranked on a global scale, the whole system would turn out better.

Which has kind of been my argument all along.

When the revolution comes, and I am the new Glorious Leader, Im taking all you lot out a to field and having you shot.

Yea, great idea. Take out all of the wealth creators and your leadership won't be so glorious. You'll be leading a nation of unemployed film, equine studies, media studies and sports science graduates. Actually, come to think of it, can I be first to be shot?

Yea, great idea. Take out all of the wealth creators and your leadership won't be so glorious. You'll be leading a nation of unemployed film, equine studies, media studies and sports science graduates. Actually, come to think of it, can I be first to be shot?

Lol speak for yourself, anyway I meant ALL you lot, Dune, Deppo, the moderators, the lot. Problem solved.

Lol speak for yourself, anyway I meant ALL you lot, Dune, Deppo, the moderators, the lot. Problem solved.

But you youngsters don't do revolution. You'll probably set up a facebook campaign and slag us all off.Come to think of it, in this virtual world in which we all live, you could take over the forum and ban us all. Saves money on bullets.

When the revolution comes, and I am the new Glorious Leader, Im taking all you lot out a to field and having you shot.

Stalinism Lives, fantastic hope you've got some five year plans sorted? Just remember it's not just your class enemies you need to get rid of but your former comrades in arms too. Dare I suggest you invest in an ice pick.

But you youngsters don't do revolution. You'll probably set up a facebook campaign and slag us all off.Come to think of it, in this virtual world in which we all live, you could take over the forum and ban us all. Saves money on bullets.

ahh so you are secretly scared of the students having a sucessful crack at revolution

lol Saintsweb and Im the only member and chief moderator

]Stalinism[/b] Lives' date=' fantastic hope you've got some five year plans sorted? Just remember it's not just your class enemies you need to get rid of but your former comrades in arms too. Dare I suggest you invest in an ice pick.[/quote']

isnt that him on the top left of the saintsweb banner?

• 4 weeks later...

Common sense prevails...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12159581

A student who admitted throwing a fire extinguisher from the roof of a central London building during the student fees protests has been jailed.

Edward Woollard, 18, from Hampshire, was among protesters who broke into the Tory party headquarters and emerged on the roof during on 10 November.

He was jailed for two years and eight months after admitting at an earlier hearing to committing violent disorder.

Common sense prevails...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12159581

A student who admitted throwing a fire extinguisher from the roof of a central London building during the student fees protests has been jailed.

Edward Woollard, 18, from Hampshire, was among protesters who broke into the Tory party headquarters and emerged on the roof during on 10 November.

He was jailed for two years and eight months after admitting at an earlier hearing to committing violent disorder.

Yes. I hope he's learned his lesson and next time kills a newspaper seller instead.

Stupid, stupid thing to do. Can't help but feel that he's gotten a long-ish sentence (3 years is a long time when you're eighteen) because of the public interest in this case. People have done worse things and received shorter sentences.

Still, serves him right I suppose. Karmic retribution an' that.

Stupid, stupid thing to do. Can't help but feel that he's gotten a long-ish sentence (3 years is a long time when you're eighteen) because of the public interest in this case. People have done worse things and received shorter sentences.

The judges speech at the end basically confirmed that he did get a long sentence to send out a signal to anyone else planning to do anything similar. He'll be out sooner than 3 years.

He'll do about 13 months, these days people serve half and then get released on tags earlier than that. I expect the arrogant little c*nt thought he was untouchable, no doubt from rich parents and sailed through life being given handouts and a free ride as their parents little golden child. I bet he cried in the dock and said how sorry he was. should have though about that before he started throwing fire extigushiers around. The jumped up little f*cker is in for a rude awakening now when he meets the rude boys in Feltham. That'll be an education money cant buy.

He'll do about 13 months, these days people serve half and then get released on tags earlier than that. I expect the arrogant little c*nt thought he was untouchable, no doubt from rich parents and sailed through life being given handouts and a free ride as their parents little golden child. I bet he cried in the dock and said how sorry he was. should have though about that before he started throwing fire extigushiers around. The jumped up little f*cker is in for a rude awakening now when he meets the rude boys in Feltham. That'll be an education money cant buy.

It seems like before that day he had impeccable behaviour. He probably just got caught up in the moment and whipped up by the few infiltrators on the day. He'll pay for that now.

The judges speech at the end basically confirmed that he did get a long sentence to send out a signal to anyone else planning to do anything similar. He'll be out sooner than 3 years.

Ah, fair enough. Haven't been following the case too closely really. Not sure anyone plans to chuck a fire extinguisher off the roof of a government building though, it's one of those things that I would describe as 'spur of the moment'. As events happening in the middle of riots go, this was pretty tame but still worthy of a stretch inside.

Ah, fair enough. Haven't been following the case too closely really. Not sure anyone plans to chuck a fire extinguisher off the roof of a government building though, it's one of those things that I would describe as 'spur of the moment'. As events happening in the middle of riots go, this was pretty tame but still worthy of a stretch inside.

Exactly, he's a total plonker, but not a murderer as some seem to be saying. It sounds like, and the court have acknowledged this, that he just got caught up in the moment and regretted it ever since. He should still serve though.

It seems like before that day he had impeccable behaviour. He probably just got caught up in the moment and whipped up by the few infiltrators on the day. He'll pay for that now.

So did a lot of the saints lot that were give a year+ for shaking a fence, some were even saying on here they were lucky and shuld have got 5 years (the maximum. Impecible behaviour before that day or not, you know at 18 years old and a supposedly intellegent one at that, that throwing a fire extinguisher into a crowd from the top of a building if f*cking stupid and dangerous. It's not like shaking a fence or throwing a stone. I would guarentee his parents are minted and he has had a right easy run of it so far, thinking he can do what he likes. And another thing is, he may well have got caught up in the moment, but what was he doing wondering around with a fire extinguisher anyway if he wasn't intending to use it as a missle or weapon? You dont just find those things lying around on the floor, there was an element of premeditation about it.

How tediously predictable to pick up on this case to vent your irrational hatred (aka profound envy) of students in general. Your assumption - to dignify it with the word - that he is some rich kid seems somewhat undermined by the fact that he is a pupil at a state-funded sixth form college. His mother was the one who encouraged him to own up to the police - hardly the actions of a parent gilding a child's upbringing.

Face it, students in general are cleverer than you. This one wasn't. Well done for finding one.

How tediously predictable to pick up on this case to vent your irrational hatred (aka profound envy) of students in general. Your assumption - to dignify it with the word - that he is some rich kid seems somewhat undermined by the fact that he is a pupil at a state-funded sixth form college. His mother was the one who encouraged him to own up to the police - hardly the actions of a parent gilding a child's upbringing.

Face it, students in general are cleverer than you. This one wasn't. Well done for finding one.

How tediousy predictable that you would come on here and respond, within seconds, to my post. Have you set up a Turkish alert on your lap top so you can be told when i have logged on or posted? You are obsessed with me you wierdo.

So did a lot of the saints lot that were give a year+ for shaking a fence, some were even saying on here they were lucky and shuld have got 5 years (the maximum. Impecible behaviour before that day or not, you know at 18 years old and a supposedly intellegent one at that, that throwing a fire extinguisher into a crowd from the top of a building if f*cking stupid and dangerous. It's not like shaking a fence or throwing a stone. I would guarentee his parents are minted and he has had a right easy run of it so far, thinking he can do what he likes. And another thing is, he may well have got caught up in the moment, but what was he doing wondering around with a fire extinguisher anyway if he wasn't intending to use it as a missle or weapon? You dont just find those things lying around on the floor, there was an element of premeditation about it.

If there was an element of pre-meditation then that would have been charged with or proved. He was just spraying the fire extinguisher around, but then stupidly deciding once it was empty to throw it.

How tediousy predictable that you would come on here and respond, within seconds, to my post. Have you set up a Turkish alert on your lap top so you can be told when i have logged on or posted? You are obsessed with me you wierdo.

He's got a point though tbf. Besides, you tend to do a similar thing with my posts, usually leading to some gag about "me time".

He's got a point though tbf. Besides, you tend to do a similar thing with my posts, usually leading to some gag about "me time".

that was a 2010 gag. However it can be no coincidence that you were both well supported on the tendious posters of 2010 awards.

You should respond to his point because he's making you look silly when you respond like that mate. Besides, what you've just described is something you do all the time. Just saying, like.

whereas you were kicked out at 16, fended for yourself and built up your own business.

This is the same a rattling fences - no one was hurt FFS!

An 18 year old Brockenhurst college student - how can you "garantee his parents are minted?"

Dimwit.

Edited by Jonnyboy

I see this thread about over reactionary c*nts that should never have even had the oppurtunity to go to University has reared its ugly head again.

no surprise is it when we have got the the usual daily mail readership on here,it seems you can be anti social,commit crime rob old ladys and not go to jail but if your a young kid with a future who made a mistake and should have been fined and got a suspended sentance and now the taxpayer has to pay to keep him in jail ,

what a joke .

no surprise is it when we have got the the usual daily mail readership on here,it seems you can be anti social,commit crime rob old ladys and not go to jail but if your a young kid with a future who made a mistake and should have been fined and got a suspended sentance and now the taxpayer has to pay to keep him in jail ,

what a joke .

Are you suggesting that just because he is young and has a future he should be treated differently? I suspect a good proportion of people in prison made a mistake and would never commit the same crime again - does that make it wrong that they were imprisoned as well?

You mention that people who rob old ladies get let off etc and you are right, system is imperfect and it is difficult to accept the lack of sentencing consistancy, however, if you introduce mitigating factors, such as age / likelyhood of reoffending etc then sentencing will become even more incomprehensable to the general public.