Harry Redknapp

slickmick

No doubt Redknapp is a flawed man and no doubt he has a "questionable" history when it comes to money (as have most in football) but actually if you ever meet him you will find him a man with a friendly personality who loves football and is totally without arrogance. But that doesn't count, it seems.

...u-huh - and your opinion on his mangement whilst he was our Manager ? Cant exactly recall him making us better as his has come out and claimed.

Was cactus for us - and even came out and said his heart wasn't in it.

Edited by Saint Bones

Let me think, why didnt Harry Redknapp take the Toon job when he had the chance, because he knows he would of been out of his depth, just like Big Sam was, without the money Pompey have had, I dont even think they would be in the Premiership. At West Ham he was gifted with fantastic youngsters, the mans a knob. He knows how to play the media, thats the only thing he is good at. I think the word hate is such a strong word, but I ****ing hate this man with a passion.

Let me think, why didnt Harry Redknapp take the Toon job when he had the chance, because he knows he would of been out of his depth, just like Big Sam was, without the money Pompey have had, I dont even think they would be in the Premiership. At West Ham he was gifted with fantastic youngsters, the mans a knob. He knows how to play the media, thats the only thing he is good at. I think the word hate is such a strong word, but I ****ing hate this man with a passion.

Glad you don't let your passionate hatred get in the way of the facts. Defoe wasn't gifted, Redknapp signed him from Charlton for money. I'm only guessing but I think Redknapp and his assistant Frank Lampard sen. might have had a hand in signing Frank Jun. As for the toon job do you not think not having control over signings and having a DOF might be a small issue?

I think what amazed me since Redknapp left Saints (at the first opportunity) is that when he was being touted as a possible replacement for the England manager when McClaren was sacked, the media were praising how well he had done as a manager! Most journalists at the time seemed to conveniently gloss over the fact that he got Southampton relegated and in some reports, they actually wrote that he had been successful while at Saints!!! Unbelievable!!!!!!

It is a shame that he was never big enough to apologise to Saints fans for getting us relegated and then just up and walked away halfway through the first season. I'm actually not bothered that he went back to Portsmouth but I can't respect anyoneif they are not prepared to apologise for their mistakes!!

Should have died in a car crash!

Oh my god! are you really happy with yourself for saying that?

Although HR really p*ssed me off for dumping us and going back to poopsmouth, I am sure he thought he had jumped from the frying pan into the fire when he started working with Lowe.

Lets face it, once relegated, half the squad left despite Lowe stating that that would not happen, along with no real cash made available to strengthen the squad despite Lowes promises. Its a real shame because he had the sort of character that fans could have warmed to, but it was obvious he was really unhappy here and finally made the criminal sin of 1, being photographed holding a poopey shirt whilst at saints. 2, Going back there and calling it his spiritual home.

Redknapp buys the players but to blame him for crippling clubs is stupid. He doesn't hold the purse strings, the chairmen do. If he says he wants to sign Diarra and pay him £90K a week it's the chairman's decision, not his. They can say no to him.

Of course the chairman can say 'no' to hm. At which point he picks up the phone (or gets his media advisor Phil Hall to make the call) to his poodles in the national media and with a knowing nudge and a wink gets himself linked to a job, thereby placing pressure on the chairman who knows what fan reaction would be like if HR were to up sticks.

You can almost time it like clockwork. Every summer when Harry wants a fairly large amount of spends, he is suddenly linked elsewhere, like, when the January transfer window opens, there's always a bleat in the national media from him about his squad "being down to the bare bones".

A couple of summers ago it was England, then Newcastle, then a return to West Ham was touted.

If there is one thing HR does well, it is to play the media game, and poor old Gaydamak is left bewildered and at the starting stalls when it comes to that. HR outfoxes him every time.

Can't understand how he's thought so highly of in the football world,guess he sends a bottle of something to his so called friends every Christmas.The guy has a track record of spending large sums of money on some good (and many bad) players,and the alleged (by some) back-hander financial question never seems to go away ? I'd hate to think what the guy has spent on transfer dealings through his management career,probably enough to bail out the banks in this world financial crisis.

He totally lost the plot with Saints,his tactics/team selections/substitutions were a joke at times.He gave me the feeling that the guy had just given up and lost all interest,presumably he was looking for a way out sometime before we got relegated ? Lowe might be a nightmare to work with,but HR let us down badly and his abject failings were obvious.A great guy to have a few drinks with perhaps,a great manager NO WAY!

Can someone enlighten me, has Gadymak (you know who I mean) senior had his bank accounts frozen ?

I think I might have heard it somewhere that he had his accounts frozen in Israel due to investigations into money laundering or arms dealings, or something similar.

If so that would explain why Gadamanyk junior has not been able to provide further funds for the skates. Lets hope the bubble bursts very soon.

From what I've heard, Gaydamak has actually put very little of his/his Dad's cash in to Pompey, but rather everything is funded on the never-never with loans taken out against Fratton Park. With Gaydamak Senior's finances having been frozen, the banks are far less willing to continue to give them cash for fear of not getting anything back - hence the sudden drying up of their spending.

If that is right, I think it's basically a case of Gaydamak Sr acting as guarantor on Junior's spending - but then I'm no economist.

The reason Redknapp left Pompey was because Mandaric undermined him by sacking Jim Smith and appointing a DOF.

Lowe knew this and therefore Lowe did exactly the same thing appointed Clive Woodward.

The reason Redknapp failed is down to Lowe.

In fact when you look at the demise of Saints it all leads back to Rupert Lowe.

There was money at his disposal which he didn't spend (didn't we have big bids in for players who didn't want to come?). His scattershot approach to signing players on reputation didn't have time to take effect. And the only decent player he did bring in was his son, who was crocked.

I don't think you can blame Lowe for a lack of funds, but he was ultimately in charge of hiring the man.

So, are you saying that Southampton has been the ONLY Club that 'Arry Boy could NOT get players to come to ????? ............ NO WAY ......... he has ALWAYS done well re getting players

Lowe (SFC) DID have Funds, but for some reason Lowe chickened out and did not sanction any, and THAT was, at the time, his WORST EVER BUSINESS DECISION ............ because we lost our Prem status, AND all the Prem money that went with it

So, are you saying that Southampton has been the ONLY Club that 'Arry Boy could NOT get players to come to ????? ............ NO WAY ......... he has ALWAYS done well re getting players

Lowe (SFC) DID have Funds, but for some reason Lowe chickened out and did not sanction any, and THAT was, at the time, his WORST EVER BUSINESS DECISION ............ because we lost our Prem status, AND all the Prem money that went with it

Talk about rewriting history.

I guess you're referring to th £70K that HR spent AFTER we were relegated.

How much did HR splash in the january transfer window, BEFORE we were relegated, on loan players and permmies, Quashie, Davenport, Redknapp etc. etc. etc. etc.

Talk about rewriting history.

I guess you're referring to th £70K that HR spent AFTER we were relegated.

How much did HR splash in the january transfer window, BEFORE we were relegated, on loan players and permmies, Quashie, Davenport, Redknapp etc. etc. etc. etc.

Everybody knows how much was actually "splashed out" as you put it

Read my post again ............

WHY did 'Arry Boy, with a PROVEN TRACK RECORD of "splashing" money out on Transfers, FAIL to do so ???????

LOWE CHICKENED OUT in releasing any, it's as simple as that

Name ANY other Club that HR has been Manager of, where he DIDN'T spend his way out of a problem ??? ..........

WHY did 'Arry Boy, with a PROVEN TRACK RECORD of "splashing" money out on Transfers, FAIL to do so ???????

Name ANY other Club that HR has been Manager of, where he DIDN'T spend his way out of a problem ??? ..........

Really? I thought we had a bid for Morrison accepted only for him to reject us over CP (or something like that at least). That would mean that Lowe was prepared to pay spend on transferfees only 'Arry couldn't find any suitable targets.

I always remeber an interview Redknapp gave in where he said he always loves the cut and thrust of buying/selling players. To me that shows a manager not interested in developing youth!

I know they are in the Prem but I haven't seen many young players breaking into the Portsmouth senior squad since he has been there.

Sometimes I find your arguments hard to follow, I can't quite get what you're driving at here. Slow down and think what you want to say.

Oh, and what was the £2M bid for Morrison about, but that was AFTER we were relegated.

As I said before Lowe obviously sanctioned a fair bit of dosh to get the Loanees and Permies in that HR identified.

After relegation HR just couldn't be arsed...

From what I've heard, Gaydamak has actually put very little of his/his Dad's cash in to Pompey, but rather everything is funded on the never-never with loans taken out against Fratton Park. With Gaydamak Senior's finances having been frozen, the banks are far less willing to continue to give them cash for fear of not getting anything back - hence the sudden drying up of their spending.

If that is right, I think it's basically a case of Gaydamak Sr acting as guarantor on Junior's spending - but then I'm no economist.

If you think that the sums he spent is funded from loans secured against Fratton Park, how much do you think that dump is actually worth?

He has probably spent more on players at Poopy than St Marys cost to build.

And what we got for the Dell didn't come close to paying for St Marys.

Of course the chairman can say 'no' to hm. At which point he picks up the phone (or gets his media advisor Phil Hall to make the call) to his poodles in the national media and with a knowing nudge and a wink gets himself linked to a job, thereby placing pressure on the chairman who knows what fan reaction would be like if HR were to up sticks.

You can almost time it like clockwork. Every summer when Harry wants a fairly large amount of spends, he is suddenly linked elsewhere, like, when the January transfer window opens, there's always a bleat in the national media from him about his squad "being down to the bare bones".

A couple of summers ago it was England, then Newcastle, then a return to West Ham was touted.

If there is one thing HR does well, it is to play the media game, and poor old Gaydamak is left bewildered and at the starting stalls when it comes to that. HR outfoxes him every time.

Couldn't agree more. Spot on observation.

Sometimes I find your arguments hard to follow, I can't quite get what you're driving at here. Slow down and think what you want to say.

Oh, and what was the £2M bid for Morrison about, but that was AFTER we were relegated.

As I said before Lowe obviously sanctioned a fair bit of dosh to get the Loanees and Permies in that HR identified.

After relegation HR just couldn't be arsed...

During HR's stint at St Mary's, it was obvious to most, that the Squad needed to be strengthened if we were to avoid Relegation from the Prem

In EVERY other Team that HR has been involved with, I think it fair to say that he has "Spent his way out of trouble" ...... and has avoided Relegation

Whilst at Saints ....... he did not bring in any Big signings to help stave off the obvious ............. WHY NOT

IMHO, I am convinced that Lowe, with absolutely no TRUST whatsoever in HR, DID NOT nor WOULD NOT sanction any Big Money player(s) that HR wanted to get

........... "After relegation HR couldn't be arsed "" ............ of course not .......... would you have been ??? ........... he was already ****ed off with Lowe for NO allowing action when it had been needed most ..... DURING THE RELEGATION FIGHT

During HR's stint at St Mary's, it was obvious to most, that the Squad needed to be strengthened if we were to avoid Relegation from the Prem

In EVERY other Team that HR has been involved with, I think it fair to say that he has "Spent his way out of trouble" ...... and has avoided Relegation

Whilst at Saints ....... he did not bring in any Big signings to help stave off the obvious ............. WHY NOT

IMHO, I am convinced that Lowe, with absolutely no TRUST whatsoever in HR, DID NOT nor WOULD NOT sanction any Big Money player(s) that HR wanted to get

........... "After relegation HR couldn't be arsed "" ............ of course not .......... would you have been ??? ........... he was already ****ed off with Lowe for NO allowing action when it had been needed most ..... DURING THE RELEGATION FIGHT

I'm not sure if I remember Redknapp making any 'big' name signings at any club to be honest. He's generally bought foreigners in cheap, initially Eastern Bloc then African, and some have worked, most haven't.

As for RL not supporting HR in the January window. I state again, Redknapp, Quashie, Bernard, Camara and how about this snippet when he was trying to get Andy Reid in

Saints are said to have offered Brett Ormerod and Darren Kenton plus cash in a deal valued at around £3.5m but manager Harry Redknapp is not optimistic.

He said: "I would love to have Andy Reid but I don't think it is going to happen.

"I think the chairman has done a deal with them, he has pushed the boat out for this one but I think Tottenham are in the background.

And weren't we chasing Mido too???

That, to me, doesn't seem like Lowe wasn't backing HR..

I always remeber an interview Redknapp gave in where he said he always loves the cut and thrust of buying/selling players. To me that shows a manager not interested in developing youth!

I know they are in the Prem but I haven't seen many young players breaking into the Portsmouth senior squad since he has been there.

Never mind the squad how about actually playing:

Matthew Taylor played regularly from the age of 21

Glen johnson played regularly from the age of 22

Armand Traore played regularly from the age of 18

HTH

Guest Hacienda

I thought him a c u n t at West Ham.

I thought him a c u n t at pompey.

I thought him a c u n t at SFC

I think he's a c u n t now.

Why didn't the tosser f*ck off at that point then!? Instead he decided to collect a wage for 6 months when we could have had someone motivated to get Saints promoted. In fact why didn't Lord Lowe sack him - it must have been glaringly obvious that there was a lack of motivation from the Saggy Faced git.

I wonder what name Scooby would have given him had he been around then? If Nigel Pearson was a 'Boot Boy', God knows what that makes Redknapp!

Speaking as someone whose father knew Brian Tiler and his family quite well, I find this statement one of the most offensive I've ever seen on here. You really should be ashamed of yourself.....
i agree just put it down to some sad cases,i do not hate harry and he has raised lots of money for charities over the years ,most our southampton based ,and i doubt he will be worried by arsholes wishing him dead.harry was not the reason for our relegation but haveing wigley in charge for so many games after hoddle not being reappointed.

Sh1tc&nt, it ******es me off when people say we'd be in a different position if he'd had the chairmans backing, how do you 'back' someone who needs an open cheque book in respect of purchases and wages, give me the back bone of that hammers side(Ferdinand,Lampard, Cole, Defoe and I reckon I could have had similar 'success' to what he had.

He would have been great down here if he had a chairman who didn't call him by his surname, didn't bring an egg-chaser in over his head, didn't bring in a failed schoolteacher as a youth coach, and let him spend a bit more of the £7million parachute payment plus £7million Crouch fee, than the £90k it took to sign Fuller.

i agree just put it down to some sad cases,i do not hate harry and he has raised lots of money for charities over the years ,most our southampton based ,and i doubt he will be worried by arsholes wishing him dead.harry was not the reason for our relegation but haveing wigley in charge for so many games after hoddle not being reappointed.

I'm yet another sad case (as you eloquantly put it) who thinks bagpuss is a prize ****. I despise his bull**** and self-interest with a passion. As long as you're enjoying his charity work???

He would have been great down here if he had a chairman who didn't call him by his surname, didn't bring an egg-chaser in over his head, didn't bring in a failed schoolteacher as a youth coach, and let him spend a bit more of the £7million parachute payment plus £7million Crouch fee, than the £90k it took to sign Fuller.

Well they were willing to let him spend £1.8m on Clinton Morrison and a million on Darren purse both of whom went elsewhere.

Neither SCW or Clifford were allowed near the first team and what has what the chairman's name calling got to do with it?

And for someone to suggest it wasn't his fault we got relegated is as laughable as suggesting the players had no hand in it.

FFS let's not rake this crap up again!!!

Never mind the squad how about actually playing:

Matthew Taylor played regularly from the age of 21

Glen johnson played regularly from the age of 22

Armand Traore played regularly from the age of 18

HTH

MT sold to Bolton.....

Glen Johnson...... so what, right up there with Phil Neville as an England player for me... (not good enough to lace most players boots at the highest level) proved by the fact he is not playing for one of the big four!!

Traore...... on loan only if he is any good will go back to Arsenal - else see above.

Let's move on.... Crouch........ sold by Redknapp how many times until he was how old!!!!

Look at the playres he has signed..... Campbell over the hill and reputed to be on 60k a week, Distin always been a mercenary, proved that by not going to Liverpool when he had the chance.

Defoe.... soon to be found out bby Coppello (like every other England manager) that he is no more than an average striker

David James...... worst England keeper ever!!!!!! Gordon Banks would be better with two glass eyes!!!

Redknapp is a dinosaur....... and will soon be extinct along with all the other traditional English managers. He epitomises everything that is wrong with football in this country and will soon find himself unemployed as Poopey announce bankruptcy and end up back in administration.

MT sold to Bolton.....

Glen Johnson...... so what, right up there with Phil Neville as an England player for me... (not good enough to lace most players boots at the highest level) proved by the fact he is not playing for one of the big four!!

Traore...... on loan only if he is any good will go back to Arsenal - else see above.

Let's move on.... Crouch........ sold by Redknapp how many times until he was how old!!!!

Look at the playres he has signed..... Campbell over the hill and reputed to be on 60k a week, Distin always been a mercenary, proved that by not going to Liverpool when he had the chance.

Defoe.... soon to be found out bby Coppello (like every other England manager) that he is no more than an average striker

David James...... worst England keeper ever!!!!!! Gordon Banks would be better with two glass eyes!!!

Redknapp is a dinosaur....... and will soon be extinct along with all the other traditional English managers. He epitomises everything that is wrong with football in this country and will soon find himself unemployed as Poopey announce bankruptcy and end up back in administration.

That my friend is ****ing hilarious! Top marks