Harry Redknapp

slickmick

Hate having to admit I read this paper, but in the Sun today Harry quoted the following:

'I have always taken over poor teams and made them better.

Bournemouth were in the old fourth division, West Ham were a yo-yo club, Portsmouth were struggling in what is now the Championship and Southampton were on their way down'.

Now, which part has Harry got wrong ?

At least he has acknowledged he managed us this time.

Football365's Mediawatch section noticed that strange bit of history re-writing today as well. I'd say I'm surprised, but given that he's probably still banging the "I took over Pompey when they were fourth from bottom and kept them up" drum (despite the fact that they were actually 16th when he took over and they ended closer to the bottom 3 that season than when he took over), that would clearly be a lie.

Yeah I saw this on Mediawatch as well. He does seem to gloss over his complete failure to turn us around. There's an article elsewhere on F365 talking about finances (might be one of Sarah Winterburn's pieces) that highlights Pompey as paying Champion's league wages to their players (it alleges Diarra is on 90k p/w), despite being nowhere near the champion's league places.

I cannot wait for the Pompey bubble to burst.

I had a bloke down the pub trying to tell me that Harry Redknapp had been a good manager for us...

I told him several times to "f::ck off" and then had a laughing fit...

Needless to say i was veh, veh drunk...

I certainly don't think we got the best out of Harry.

He has a certain style of football management, he needs to spray money about liberally. At the end of the day you might well come out on the + side of the ledger but it's no good saying to him "you've got 1.5 million, do what you can with it", that's not the way he does things.

Harry Redknapp is a self self publicist, who twists facts to suit himself, he was also a crap Manager for us.

That said, in this instance the statement he made was pretty accurate. Boscombe were in the 4th Div, Pompey were langishing in the CCC, and we were on the way down, following some awful results in winnable games under Wiggley. Yes, he did fail to halt our slide, but we were heading downwards..

There is no doubt he took Boscombe to heights they've never been before and he has, with a lot of money, got the Skates in a better position. However it is the position he leaves Clubs in that he fails to mention. Boscombe were £4 mil in debt, West Ham went down soon afterwards, and the true story of his sacking has never come out. Hopefully, he'll leave the Skates in the ****e as well....

However it is the position he leaves Clubs in that he fails to mention. Boscombe were £4 mil in debt, West Ham went down soon afterwards, and the true story of his sacking has never come out. Hopefully, he'll leave the Skates in the ****e as well....

Dunno. He left us in a pretty good position...

Yeah I saw this on Mediawatch as well. He does seem to gloss over his complete failure to turn us around. There's an article elsewhere on F365 talking about finances (might be one of Sarah Winterburn's pieces) that highlights Pompey as paying Champion's league wages to their players (it alleges Diarra is on 90k p/w), despite being nowhere near the champion's league places.

Can someone enlighten me, has Gadymak (you know who I mean) senior had his bank accounts frozen ?

I think I might have heard it somewhere that he had his accounts frozen in Israel due to investigations into money laundering or arms dealings, or something similar.

If so that would explain why Gadamanyk junior has not been able to provide further funds for the skates. Lets hope the bubble bursts very soon.

Sh1tc&nt, it ******es me off when people say we'd be in a different position if he'd had the chairmans backing, how do you 'back' someone who needs an open cheque book in respect of purchases and wages, give me the back bone of that hammers side(Ferdinand,Lampard, Cole, Defoe and I reckon I could have had similar 'success' to what he had.

Edited by INFLUENCED.COM

Harry Rednapp knows how to play the media and always plays the victim.

He needs a lot of money to be succesfull and a bit of luck but then most managers do.

I heard some big money wanted to take Portsmouth over but if that happens they will have been incredibkly lucky to find three different people ready to put cash into them.

**** ground, **** crowd **** town and limited branding potential

Find it hard to believe Portsmouth can sustain themselves in the Premiership.

Can someone enlighten me, has Gadymak (you know who I mean) senior had his bank accounts frozen ?

I think I might have heard it somewhere that he had his accounts frozen in Israel due to investigations into money laundering or arms dealings, or something similar.

If so that would explain why Gadamanyk junior has not been able to provide further funds for the skates. Lets hope the bubble bursts very soon.

You are correct, but look at the Accounts of Portsmouth Football Club Ltd, who have a negative net worth of £30M and who are owned by Milan Developments Ltd who also have a negative net worth of £30M and who in turn is owned by an offshore Company. Young Gaydamak is a director ,with others, of both these companies but to keep injecting money of this magnitude by way of Directors/Company Loans, simply cannot be sustained at such a little outfit.

Apart from the kiss of death from Mr Lowe ....... whjat ELSE did @Arry boy actually HAVE to turn us around ......... NEW PLAYERS (Two), sanctioned by Rosy Cheeks for example ??? ......... and I don't mean £90K

Saints went down because, (for once) Lowe did not look at the "Business" side of the Prem Cash, and FAILED to invest

We are now Reaping that Bleak Harvest

Harry Rednapp knows how to play the media and always plays the victim.

He needs a lot of money to be succesfull and a bit of luck but then most managers do.

I heard some big money wanted to take Portsmouth over but if that happens they will have been incredibkly lucky to find three different people ready to put cash into them.

**** ground, **** crowd **** town and limited branding potential

Find it hard to believe Portsmouth can sustain themselves in the Premiership.

According to SSN they spent 90% of their turnover on wages (06/07 I believe) and only Wigan spent more (100%). With their summer acquisitions of Crouch etc you'd have to imagine this has changed again. So clearly it's not sustainable but then it's the case for virtually all teams.

Apart from the kiss of death from Mr Lowe ....... whjat ELSE did @Arry boy actually HAVE to turn us around ......... NEW PLAYERS (Two), sanctioned by Rosy Cheeks for example ??? ......... and I don't mean £90K

Saints went down because, (for once) Lowe did not look at the "Business" side of the Prem Cash, and FAILED to invest

We are now Reaping that Bleak Harvest

There was money at his disposal which he didn't spend (didn't we have big bids in for players who didn't want to come?). His scattershot approach to signing players on reputation didn't have time to take effect. And the only decent player he did bring in was his son, who was crocked.

I don't think you can blame Lowe for a lack of funds, but he was ultimately in charge of hiring the man.

he might well be but he is still a half decent manager given reasonable support.

Reasonable for him to his job of management means many 10's of millions, I appreciate that may be considered the case for premiership life now but he could not work with limited resource in a competitive division

Reasonable for him to his job of management means many 10's of millions, I appreciate that may be considered the case for premiership life now but he could not work with limited resource in a competitive division

Really? How many tens of millions did he spend to get us promoted as champions from the championship when we got promoted to the Premier League? :D

Really? How many tens of millions did he spend to get us promoted as champions from the championship when we got promoted to the Premier League? :D

Quite a lot, if not 10s of millions, it's where the structure and wages started that sees 90% of turnover go on player wages.

Still other clubs he's graced with his presence and have 'supported' his approach are in rosey states now - or are they?

A crapload on wages Corp is the answer, they had by far the biggest wagebill at that level. How many other clubs, apart from Boro, could have brought Merson and Festa on £20k a week in the second tier. He does create a good party but watch out Corp for when it's over - he might have taken Bournemouth to what was the CCC but look where they are now because they've never recovered from the debt and also West Ham were left in a terrible hole with the Rio money squandered and had something like the 4th biggest wage bill in the PL. Enjoy AC Milan but do expect a difficult few years coming up after because Harry won't take any of the blame when you're lumbered with dinosaurs on gigantic wages.

I'd say Harry was a bit like Kevin Keegan but with less scruples.

A crapload on wages Corp is the answer, they had by far the biggest wagebill at that level. How many other clubs, apart from Boro, could have brought Merson and Festa on £20k a week in the second tier. He does create a good party but watch out Corp for when it's over - he might have taken Bournemouth to what was the CCC but look where they are now because they've never recovered from the debt and also West Ham were left in a terrible hole with the Rio money squandered and had something like the 4th biggest wage bill in the PL. Enjoy AC Milan but do expect a difficult few years coming up after because Harry won't take any of the blame when you're lumbered with dinosaurs on gigantic wages.

I'd say Harry was a bit like Kevin Keegan but with less scruples.

Redknapp buys the players but to blame him for crippling clubs is stupid. He doesn't hold the purse strings, the chairmen do. If he says he wants to sign Diarra and pay him £90K a week it's the chairman's decision, not his. They can say no to him. And who are all these dinosaurs on huge wages? Campbell yes but are you saying that players like Crouch, Defoe, Kranjcar, Diarra, Johnson, Davies etc are over the hill? Most of those would deliver us a healthy profit over what we bought them for if we wanted to cash in on them. But you need a blend of younger and older players and no-one can say that Campbell, James Kanu and Distin (signed for a combined fee of £500K between them) haven't delivered spectacularly for the club.

He was the wrong choice for you, of that there's no doubt but to blame him for the woes of West Ham and Bournemouth is either blinkered or very naive. Lay the blame for those clubs ills at chairmen with poor control over their finances or poor choice of managers to succeed Redknapp (Roeder at West Ham for example).

Harry Redcrapp is a ******.....................FACT

I think you're being too charitable...he's a total **** in my opinion!

When we went down he had more money to spend on a striker than the £90K (or was it £900K?) he spent on Fuller. Our main priority at that point was to get a decent striker in. He couldn't be arsed to put the effort in as his heart wasn't in it. Saggy faced tosser!

I am sure I have said it before on here, but the worst thing that twitchy did was after relegation. We had the FA youth cup final team, many of who were ready for the first team and many more that would have been by the end of the season, plus Kenwyne Jones, Chris Baird and Andrew Surnam.

They were all frozen out, barring the odd game for KJ, in favour of some Polish mercanaries, Dennis Wise and Ricardo Fuller. As a result, we ended up losing Crannie, Mills and Blackstock who all got tired of waiting.

He had the chance to build something for the future, but decided to wheel and deal instead. Perhaps he couldn't get his cut if a youngster earned a new contract ?

The easiest thing in the world is to blame HR. Lowe is very fond of doing it.

Yes he made mistakes but much bigger mistakes were made above his head.

Most who slag Harry now were probably singing Harry and Jim chants with fervour after we beat Pompey. But, hey lets look for a fall guy who is convenient to kick. It makes us feel better if we can blame someone no longer connected.

No doubt Redknapp is a flawed man and no doubt he has a "questionable" history when it comes to money (as have most in football) but actually if you ever meet him you will find him a man with a friendly personality who loves football and is totally without arrogance. But that doesn't count, it seems.

When I read Saints fans talking about HR on this forum, I am reminded of a book I studied for O level - "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding. "Let's all hate the easiest of people to hate" philosophy sort sums it all up.

Most who slag Harry now were probably singing Harry and Jim chants with fervour after we beat Pompey. But, hey lets look for a fall guy who is convenient to kick. It makes us feel better if we can blame someone no longer connected.

No doubt Redknapp is a flawed man and no doubt he has a "questionable" history when it comes to money (as have most in football) but actually if you ever meet him you will find him a man with a friendly personality who loves football and is totally without arrogance. But that doesn't count, it seems.

When I read Saints fans talking about HR on this forum, I am reminded of a book I studied for O level - "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding. "Let's all hate the easiest of people to hate" philosophy sort sums it all up.

That would go with any manager should you get relegated/fail dismally. Had we stayed up he would have been the flavour of the season but relegation and the link to them down the road leaves a bitter taste in the mouth to most. Saying that he has done a decent job at all the other places he has been at, just failed with us.

Harry failed to keep us up. Rupert failed to get shot of harry when it was clear he had no interest in our position as a club let alone the club it's self. It is no small wonder as to why many Saints fans despise Harry( he fukced them over ). Lord of the Flies is a bit of an obscure comparison, Dr Smith from Lost in Space would be more apt.

He was also pretty popular after we won 4-3 against Norwich.

He was also pretty popular after we won 4-3 against Norwich.

Not really Camara was pretty popular after we beat Norwich 4-3. While he was by no means a "hate figure" there was consistent criticism of HR during that period mainly on his negative attitude. It's been well documented on here that his **** poor management in our first championship season and disgraceful disrespect towards Saints.

"Totally without arrogance"!!!!!! you are effing joking.

Hate having to admit I read this paper, but in the Sun today Harry quoted the following:

'I have always taken over poor teams and made them better.

Bournemouth were in the old fourth division, West Ham were a yo-yo club, Portsmouth were struggling in what is now the Championship and Southampton were on their way down'.

Now, which part has Harry got wrong ?

At least he has acknowledged he managed us this time.

Is he saying he made Saints better at getting worse?