BBC Bias/vendetta

Deppo

It was mentioned on the football league highlites (sic) thread that the BBC seems to have a vendetta against us. There is further evidence of this on the Saints page in the BBC football section.

Take a look at this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/club_stats/default.stm

It's the Saints stats page from the BBC and there are some clearly deliberate mistakes. Having just reported on our 2-0 victory they claim that our games since conceding a goal is 0. They also say "games since win = 0" as well. This is crazy. The casual visitor to the Saints stats page would get completely the wrong idea about us. If those casual visitors don't look at the tabe after looking at our stats page they will think we're some rubblish lower/mid table team (is this the BBCs agenda?) and those that do look at the table after our stats page will see us in 2nd and say "Hey! This doesn't tally with the stats.....whats going on here.....have Southampton been cheating?". Now some of you may bury your heads and say that sounds silly, but a Saints fan themself has mentioned how we've managed to overtake Huddersfield despite Huddersfields amazing run and wondering if we've been cheating (can't get the thread right now, but will dig it out in a bit). If one of own can think this, why wouldn't the casual Saints Stat viewer on the BBC? Again, what are the BBC up to? Part of a vendetta?

To this end, I am going to fire off an email to the Director General of the BBC and what would be great is if I could say that 3000 people from SWF agree with me. I'll draft an email later and post it up. If you agree then say so and I'll add your name to it when I send it off.

Quite funny, but in your quest to be so you've misread the Beeb. It HAS been 0 games since a win, because we won the last game. And there is no stat for conceding goals, although it does say it's been 0 games since a clean sheet - which again is right.

Unless you're just trying to highlight how stupid some of our fans are ;) Yeah, let's go with that.

It was mentioned on the football league highlites (sic) thread that the BBC seems to have a vendetta against us. There is further evidence of this on the Saints page in the BBC football section.

Take a look at this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/club_stats/default.stm

It's the Saints stats page from the BBC and there are some clearly deliberate mistakes. Having just reported on our 2-0 victory they claim that our games since conceding a goal is 0. They also say "games since win = 0" as well. This is crazy. The casual visitor to the Saints stats page would get completely the wrong idea about us. If those casual visitors don't look at the tabe after looking at our stats page they will think we're some rubblish lower/mid table team (is this the BBCs agenda?) and those that do look at the table after our stats page will see us in 2nd and say "Hey! This doesn't tally with the stats.....whats going on here.....have Southampton been cheating?". Now some of you may bury your heads and say that sounds silly, but a Saints fan themself has mentioned how we've managed to overtake Huddersfield despite Huddersfields amazing run and wondering if we've been cheating (can't get the thread right now, but will dig it out in a bit). If one of own can think this, why wouldn't the casual Saints Stat viewer on the BBC? Again, what are the BBC up to? Part of a vendetta?

To this end, I am going to fire off an email to the Director General of the BBC and what would be great is if I could say that 3000 people from SWF agree with me. I'll draft an email later and post it up. If you agree then say so and I'll add your name to it when I send it off.

If "one of our own" doesn't know our form and how we have been doing id be more inclined to question his following of the Saints and not a BBC website, as for "casual stats viewer" i couldn't care less what they think about us and i would tell them that only one stat matters and thats the league table, in which we are currently second!

Take a look at this:

Often you make me laugh Deppo, not this time :D

Well, the BBC apologists need not sign up to this letter - just bury your heads and let the damage be inflicted. Anyone else who cares about the club, read this email I'm going to send off and let me know if you think I should add anything to it/remove anything from it:

Dear Mr Thompson,

RE: BBC website - League 1 football section, Southampton FC pages

I am writing to you regarding the Southampton FC stats page which can be found on the BBC League 1 football pages (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/club_stats/default.stm). I was studying this information today (Sunday 10th April 2011) and was taken aback when I looked closely at some of the "statistics". For example, despite being on a winning run which has taken Southampton to 2nd in the table (7 wins out of 8 games) we are informed that the "games since win" statistic is 0. Well, this is clearly wrong. It hasn't been 0 games since a win - how would a team rise to 2nd in the table with such a figure? Another stat on the site is "games since clean sheet" which is recorded as zero again. This is the day after we won 2-0! How on earth can this be justified? When this abuse of statistics is combined with the pathetic coverage of the Saints game on the FL show, it is not surprising that many Southampton fans are coming to the conclusion that the BBC has some kind of vendetta against the club. This isn't just a handful of people, literally thousands have expressed the same opinion on the Saints fans forum (Saints Web Forum). I would appreciate it if you could explain your organisations actions against my club and I am more than willing to discuss the Saints Web Forum opinions with you, either via email, over the phone or in a face to face meeting.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Deppo

Well, the BBC apologists need not sign up to this letter - just bury your heads and let the damage be inflicted. Anyone else who cares about the club, read this email I'm going to send off and let me know if you think I should add anything to it/remove anything from it:

Dear Mr Thompson,

I am writing to you regarding the Southampton FC stats page which can be found on the BBC League 1 football pages (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/club_stats/default.stm). I was studying this information today (Sunday 10th April 2011) and was taken aback when I looked closely at some of the "statistics". For example, despite being on a winning run which has taken Southampton to 2nd in the table (7 wins out of 8 games) we are informed that the "games since win" statistic is 0. Well, this is clearly wrong. It hasn't been 0 games since a win - how would a team rise to 2nd in the table with such a figure? Another stat on the site is "games since clean sheet" which is recorded as zero again. This is the day after we won 2-0! How on earth can this be justified? When this abuse of statistics is combined with the pathetic coverage of the Saints game on the FL show, it is not surprising that many Southampton fans are coming to the conclusion that the BBC has some kind of vendetta against the club. This isn't just a handful of people, literally thousands have expressed the same opinion on the Saints fans forum (Saints Web Forum). I would appreciate it if you could explain your organisations actions against my club and I am more than willing to discuss the Saints Web Forum opinions with you, either via email, over the phone or in a face to face meeting.

Deppo

Perhaps you could add a note to get Brighton's stats fixed as well if you think our are wrong. Brighton also have Games since win = 0. How do you square that one? Perhaps the BBC have a vendetta against South Coast Clubs. I suggest you actually have a bit more of a think before you make yourself look a bit silly.

Dear Mr Thompson,

Deppo

Have you considered what having 8 in that box means? It mean 8 games since we won! Which isn't right

Also if you look at the Brighton stats they have a 0 since a win too! so much for an agenda..Actually there stats are right and it's the same for all the teams..

Have a look at Bournemouth they have got a 7 in there as they haven't won for 7 games!!

I think you've made yourself look a bit daft there!

Perhaps you could add a note to get Brighton's stats fixed as well if you think our are wrong. Brighton also have Games since win = 0. How do you square that one? Perhaps the BBC have a vendetta against South Coast Clubs. I suggest you actually have a bit more of a think before you make yourself look a bit silly.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Deppo - how many games do YOU think it is since we've won, likewise since we've kept a clean sheet? Please do have a think about it before sending this, fella.

Look, it's fair enough if you don't agree. You are entitled to your opinion, but I will not sit back and watch my club be misrepresented in this way, especially when it's obviously not an accident but part of some sort of campaign. I know some people will say "just leave it, there's more important things to worry about in life" and they may be right - but just because something is not as important as other things doesn't mean we it should be ignored. You've both made it clear that you don't mind the BBC manipulating figures and such like, but I pay my licence, I care about the club and what outsiders think of it and I will not let this one go.

Thanks to the couple of members who have PM'd me their names to add to the letter. Others who are interested can either add their names to this thread or PM me (if they want to avoid the abuse that some people seem to think it is fair to hand out)

Look, it's fair enough if you don't agree. You are entitled to your opinion, but I will not sit back and watch my club be misrepresented in this way, especially when it's obviously not an accident but part of some sort of campaign. I know some people will say "just leave it, there's more important things to worry about in life" and they may be right - but just because something is not as important as other things doesn't mean we it should be ignored. You've both made it clear that you don't mind the BBC manipulating figures and such like, but I pay my licence, I care about the club and what outsiders think of it and I will not let this one go.

Thanks to the couple of members who have PM'd me their names to add to the letter. Others who are interested can either add their names to this thread or PM me (if they want to avoid the abuse that some people seem to think it is fair to hand out)

OK, I'm laughing now as you had me fooled before. Very good.

Have you been through all the stats for every club yet?

All the teams that won yesterday have a 0 against number of games since a win...

I can't make my mind up if you are on a wind up or whether you really think you are right?

Can't you change your letter to be from league 1 fans instead of anything to do with Southampton as I don't want to be associated with a letter which is making the fans of that club look a right bunch of numpties!

I don't see why you can't see that what the stats say are correct?

Number of games since Saints won a game is 0.

The number of games since Brighton won a game is 0.

The number of games since Bournemouth won a game is 7.

The number of games since Saints lost is 8.

The number of games since we had a clean sheet is 0.

The BBC are correct and you shouldn't send this letter as where are the "thousands" who have complained?

IMO you are really in danger of making all Saints fans look like fools!

Can't you change your letter to be from league 1 fans instead of anything to do with Southampton as I don't want to be associated with a letter which is making the fans of that club look a right bunch of numpties!

Fine, you are entitled to your opinion. However, I don't know if you're familiar with the Nobel Prize winner, Elie Wiesel? This is something he said, which I think is completely appropriate right now:

I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

Have you been through all the stats for every club yet?

All the teams that won yesterday have a 0 against number of games since a win...

I can't make my mind up if you are on a wind up or whether you really think you are right?

I don't see why you can't see that what the stats say are correct?

Number of games since Saints won a game is 0.

The number of games since Brighton won a game is 0.

The number of games since Bournemouth won a game is 7.

The number of games since Saints lost is 8.

The number of games since we had a clean sheet is 0.

The BBC are correct and you shouldn't send this letter as where are the "thousands" who have complained?

Deppo, look at it this way.

Number of days since I posted on here = 0, because I have posted on here, today.

Is this guy for real?

If so, what makes me laugh is not the fact you have misread the BBC website, more that when people keep highlighting your mistake, you still dont get it.

You're obviously a committed Saints fan though and care about our club, so i dont want to take the pish too much, but you have certainly brightened up my Sunday lunchtime, thanks ;-)

Lol you're an idiot if you think anyone at the BBC gives a toss about us or any other league 1 club.

You ahould get out more, this really is just an embarrassing thread

We didn't get much press even when we finished runners up to Liverpool in the old Div 1 days. We have never been a "big club" hence have never really been on the media's radar. They couldn't avoid us in 1976 though :)

Heavy night last night? Deppo, can you please clarify which of those statistics is wrong? I agree that we don't seem to get any good press coverage lately but this is making you look a tad foolish.

We have won 7 games out 8 - it hasn't been 0 games since a win. The BBC is trying to make us look bad.

I think I've made my point pretty clearly. I've quoted myself above, to give you a short and simple summary that you might be able to understand.

Lol you're an idiot if you think anyone at the BBC gives a toss about us or any other league 1 club.

You ahould get out more, this really is just an embarrassing thread

No need for the personal insults.

Deppo, I'm right behind you. Standing tall and proud and firm.

Thanks Benji. There's been a few PMs so there's certainly support for the email I'm going to send. I must say, I'm a bit surprised by how little saints "fans" seem to care about the way we are represented in the media and by the BBC.

why has this thread been moved? Who moved it?

An answer/explanation would be nice.

Well I was going to suggest that you were a) being paranoid or b) on a complete wind-up.

But now I've seen that this thread has been moved, I'm coming round to your way of thinking Deppo.

The question now though is whether the forum owners are in the employ of the Director General of the BBC.

No smoke without fire.

Depot you really are an unfunny tw*t. Thanks for listening.

Exactly. I strongly resent the implication here, mocking the clear and consistent bias against Saints shown by the BBC, all of it orchestrated from the very top. I hear Mark Thompson regularly convenes executives' meetings to work out their anti-Saints strategy. I am with dune - he and others who share his planet-view should withhold their licence fee and tell the licensing authorities that they are doing so. Then we'll really see some changes around here.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the terrifying conclusion that this transcends the BBC.

When was the last time you saw some positive Saints coverage on Channel 4? Channel 5? Dave?

Need I say more. The real, terrible, most potent of questions is: where does this stop?

The more I think about it, the more I come to the terrifying conclusion that this transcends the BBC.

When was the last time you saw some positive Saints coverage on Channel 4? Channel 5? Dave?

Need I say more. The real, terrible, most potent of questions is: where does this stop?

What about GOD TV? We should be their number one news story, being the one and only living Saints!!

Dear Mr Thompson,

Deppo

Just send "Dear Mr Thompson" and "I look forward to hearing from you soon," as they are only sensible bits.

I can just imagine Mark Thompson phoning you or arranging a meeting with you to discuss this - in your dreams.

Say whatever you like mate, I've already got 10 names to put on the email when I send it (tomorrow). I'm sure by the time it's sent, I'll have a few hundred names - would have been thousands if this thread were left on the main board. And why wouldn't Mark Thompson reply to me? The email isn't aggressive or offensive. I have a valid complaint and he, as the man in charge, is ultimately responsible.