Billy Sharp ' Saints deal wasn't right'

Dazza82

Well, that'll work, now that it's in the press Cortese will be rushing to negotiate, *****!

Wasn't saying we should go back, just stating that he maybe thinks he has made a mistake and would like the chance to speak again, I also dont think that is the way to go about it either

Wasn't saying we should go back, just stating that he maybe thinks he has made a mistake and would like the chance to speak again, I also dont think that is the way to go about it either

I realised what he was saying, but he obviously didn't bother to find out the Saints Chairman's predictable attitude to the media. Unless Adkins is capable of persuading Cortese to overlook it, it's a dead deal.

I realised what he was saying, but he obviously didn't bother to find out the Saints Chairman's predictable attitude to the media. Unless Adkins is capable of persuading Cortese to overlook it, it's a dead deal.

Yeah i know that, i was just pointing out what Billy Sharp has said about it and given my view of why he may of said it, I think MLG may have a point in what he said though

It's a little bit of a weird statement isn't it? Noticeable that he doesn't make any mention of pulling out of the deal because he wanted to stay or it would be a wrench to leave Doncaster! Reading between the lines, I think his agent has been whispering in his ear about the wages he could earn if he moved and we weren't offering him anything near that, hence a breakdown. Maybe his agent thought we would come crawling back with a better offer, but we simply shut it down. If he is that interested in chasing money, not sure we would want him anyway.

He must be gutted Leicester or West Ham aren't interested. They seem to be the two clubs prepared to chuck money around in the division this year.

Possibly - but don't be surprised if this still comes off. Donny have just signed another 'prolific' striker in the form of Chris Brown from PNE (a brave signing given his reputation).

Yes it did occur to me that this might come back in the future but I wouldn't want us to divert time away from getting in other targets to renegotiate. If Sharp is the best option in the eyes of Adkins and Cortese then fair enough, but if there's someone out there who's better, then let's go for them before going over old ground.

Maybe because Adkins said that Saints choose to pull out rather than the player rejecting the offer. I think this is just Sharp's attempt to save face.

Or maybe we're the ones who are trying to save face?

Remember the first reports of the deal breaking down was that Sharp rejected us.

3.25 million suggests we are not too hard up then!

For me thats too much for that player anyway, but good to know however we can compete in that market.

I wonder what 3.25m would buy you if we were looking overseas? Better than Sharp I wager ............. though think Delgado cost 3.25m ;-)

" ..... the deal wasn't right".

Translation, 'Southampton made me a very attractive offer - my agent told me to turn it down and expect a higher offer - Southampton said no thanks and moved on'.

How very like 'Four Rooms' this all sounds.

Interesting comments from Sharp. He definately wants to come here. My guess is that he and Saints think that Donny are despertate for the money & therefore might sweeten the deal from their end to make the deal happen.

Interesting comments from Sharp. He definately wants to come here. My guess is that he and Saints think that Donny are despertate for the money & therefore might sweeten the deal from their end to make the deal happen.

Eh? They accepted the bid - what more can they do at their end? They're not going to pay him to join us.

Its not always all about cold hard cash (though I would imagine it played a big part).

Perhaps he wasn't thrilled about moving south ? Perhaps he wasn't promised to be first choice (I think a large part of the reasoning) ? Perhaps it was indeed money related.

Either way I admire the fact that we are not throwing cash around at anything that moves and are trying to piece together a squad that hopefully has more ambition than greed. It would be nice to think we have other irons in the fire aswell.

We have Lambert, Barnard and Guly on our books, all of which I think are very able strikers potentially in this division.

Its not always all about cold hard cash (though I would imagine it played a big part).

Perhaps he wasn't thrilled about moving south ? Perhaps he wasn't promised to be first choice (I think a large part of the reasoning) ? Perhaps it was indeed money related.

Either way I admire the fact that we are not throwing cash around at anything that moves and are trying to piece together a squad that hopefully has more ambition than greed. It would be nice to think we have other irons in the fire aswell.

We have Lambert, Barnard and Guly on our books, all of which I think are very able strikers potentially in this division.

And Connolly, who is our best player.

3.25 million suggests we are not too hard up then!

For me thats too much for that player anyway, but good to know however we can compete in that market.

I wonder what 3.25m would buy you if we were looking overseas? Better than Sharp I wager ............. though think Delgado cost 3.25m ;-)

A lot of teh Delgado 'fee' dissapeared into the pockets of others, and at a time when Forlan was available and willing for a modest 400k, but hey ho

I had this conversation last night when discussing the possible clubs interested in Maynard, his fee I would suspect may be north of 4 mill, and as said last night, english players are pricey these days.

What makes you say that?

The mention of us being a big club, his link with Adkins being an advantage etc. No mention of how much he loves it at Doncaster. The fact is Doncaster accepted our offer so they would rather have the money than him. We have gone as far as we are willing to go financially. It's up to Donny to make it worth his while to leave. Happens all the time in football.

A lot of teh Delgado 'fee' dissapeared into the pockets of others, and at a time when Forlan was available and willing for a modest 400k, but hey ho

I had this conversation last night when discussing the possible clubs interested in Maynard, his fee I would suspect may be north of 4 mill, and as said last night, english players are pricey these days.

I can see a newly promoted Premier League club paying £4 - £5 million for Maynard. Would a Championship club (other than Leicester) pay that money for him? No. City are holding out for a Premier League club to buy him.

Danny Graham has a better goalscoring record and went for just over £3 million.

I've met him a couple of times socially and I think it might be to do with the fact hat he's a real Northerner and I recon it might be just that he's not sure about coming down here. I know he's good mates with Beatts so I would of thought he could of sold him on the area?

I've met him a couple of times socially and I think it might be to do with the fact hat he's a real Northerner and I recon it might be just that he's not sure about coming down here. I know he's good mates with Beatts so I would of thought he could of sold him on the area?

He won't be laughed at when wearing his flat cap.

Whippets/geryhounds are allowed on the Common.

He could probably race pigeons.

Fish and chips are just as good down here.

The (proper) real ales down here are just as good and the head lasts just as long

They might. Players often get paid to move on. Supposing the agreed fee is 3.25mil, Donny give him £500K to leave, still a nice fee for a club their size.

No, that makes no sense at all. Clubs might pay a player to leave when they just want to get their wages off their books, but not when they are one of their best assets and moving on to a bigger club. If Donny said, "we will pay you £500k to leave", Saints would say "hang on, we're not paying £3.25m if you are willing to accept £2.75m". It's a complete nonsense.

If they were desperate for the cash they would accept Ipswich's bid as well.

Edited by benjii

No, that makes no sense at all. Clubs might pay a player to leave when they just want to get their wages off their books, but not when they are one of their best assets and moving on to a bigger club. If Donny said, we will pay you £500k to leave, Saints would say "hang on, we're not paying £3.25m if you are willing to accept £2.75m". It's a complete nonsense.

they do offer players part or all of their loyalty bonus when they leave...if they have not put a transfer request in

players who do put a transfer request in negate that money

lets look at modric and will he/wont he go to chelea...if he does NOT put a transfer request in, spurs will have to stump up large amount to satisfy an acceptable part of his loyalty bonus should he move to chelsea...probably why modric has yet to put in a transfer request

Perhaps his problem was that what we were offering him is more than he is on now but less than Lallana, KD, Fonte etc are on and he wanted a "top earner match" clause or something.

It's hard enough for us fans to know what those players are on so how would BS know? I guess he could have asked

BS - Hey Nige, you're offering me £25K, is that as much as KD is getting

NA - Not on this bus

BS - Then, I'm afraid, I'm out

they do offer players part or all of their loyalty bonus when they leave...if they have not put a transfer request in

lets look at modric and will he/wont he go to chelea...if he does NOT put a transfer request in, spurs will have to stump up large amount to satisfy an acceptable part of his loyalty bonus should he move to chelsea...probably why modric has yet to put in a transfer request

That's correct, which is why players make all the noise in the papers and hardly ever hand in a transfer request.

I see Downing handed one in, bet 'pool will give him a higher salary for the money they've saved though

No, that makes no sense at all. Clubs might pay a player to leave when they just want to get their wages off their books, but not when they are one of their best assets and moving on to a bigger club. If Donny said, we will pay you £500k to leave, Saints would say "hang on, we're not paying £3.25m if you are willing to accept £2.75m". It's a complete nonsense.

It depends how much Donny need the money. Any arrangements between Sharp & Donny will be nothing to do with Saints. Donny accepted our bid because they want the money. Saints will be happy because Sharp will sign on our terms. £2.75m is a lot of money to a club the size of Doncaster.

Yes, but any payments due like that will be priced into the deal when the selling club decides what they will or won't accept.

Having already accepted £3.25m, Donny aren't now going to go, "tell you what Billy, we'll give you £500k of that if you leave".