Billy Sharp ' Saints deal wasn't right'

Dazza82

Maynard, Rodriguez and Sharp have all been playing for teams that have been struggling and not creating many chances for their strikers. If any of them do sign they wouldn't be "back ups", they'd be joining to partner Lambert in most games.
Really, a Burnley side who are 3rd in the form table at present? Good players do not only score goals they also make goals for others. None of the three come near to our front 3! Ours have 11 the three "targets" have 3

Poor sides or not our three would get in ahead of these players. I appreciate we need another forward, particularly with Barnard injury problems but as impact players only in my opinion

More stats for you (On target/Off target/Hit Woodwork):

Lambert 20/17/4

Rodriguez 13/17/1

Maynard 17/11/2

Sharp 6/3/0

Only started 5 out of 14 games though, couldn't say why that is, perhaps he just ain't all that good.

Mind you if your club hires a knob like EHD to replace you it can't be good.

Lambert has 9 in the league, Do Prado & Connolly 5 Lallana 4

Our suggested targets Maynard 4, Rodriguez 3, Sharp 2.

So our front 3 all have a better record than our supposed targets who are the "stars" of their respective teams. One of the 3 would be a good impact player perhaps but no more than that in my opinion!

To be fair, though, Sharp did have a spell out with a broken leg!

None of the three come near to our front 3!

But let's not forget that 1 of our "3" is already of the way through what will probably be his last season at this level.

We need to start settling-in a replacement for DC sooner rather than later. Not saying Sharp is the one, though.

I think its also a bit of a dillemma with respect to teh impact it has on the current squad morale - sure when assessing teh merits of a player in isolation, there are plenty in this division that we could say would be improvements on some of the existing squad players, but the key to our success so far has been that even our 'average player's become 'better' as part of this 'team' - they fit in and play an important role. I know Adkins does go on a bit about it, but to be fair it cant be stressed enough - we are one, a whole and the spirit and togetherness as we have seen is what is driving some of our players to out perform their level 'on paper'.

Yes we can always improve - everyone should be looking to do so, but in some respects, I like what we have. Injuries aside, we have created a squad that wants to be here, is not disruptive when players are on teh bench or in the reserves, as they know they have a part to play at some point and need to be ready when called upon. I think that is the key element when the club considers doing transfer business and why it might be perceived by some as slow or less 'active' than say the likes of leicester - who spent 12 mil on umpteen players. IMHO teh approach we have taken is reaping the rewards.

Lambert has 9 in the league, Do Prado & Connolly 5 Lallana 4

Our suggested targets Maynard 4, Rodriguez 3, Sharp 2.

So our front 3 all have a better record than our supposed targets who are the "stars" of their respective teams. One of the 3 would be a good impact player perhaps but no more than that in my opinion!

I don't feel you are that far wrong, but I get the feeling we will be looking equally at the future as the now for the player developing. I feel we need something different for those games where things are not all going our way, where we are not at our best and that little bit sluggish. For that I believe we need a pacey central attacker that can take a defence on his own, a good counter attacker. De Ridder has his possibilities but not there yet, good at coming in from the wing but I feel we need someone more direct that's going to push their back four closer to their goal or pay a high price.

As highly as I rated Oxo and wanted to keep him, sometimes I felt we had too many attacking options and the midfield suffered as a result, it's all about balance. In my mind the formation we put out against Middlesbrough was perfect, with more than enough attacking options when you have that midfield control. Take all those attackers and midfielders and substitute one of the candidates and I am not sure you have improved the team given that all are on form?

Go back to the games where we have struggled and it's that pacey lone striker that looks to give us a new dimension. As you have pointed out, the proposed targets would not add greatly to those times when we need something different. I would take a punt on Maynard because his fee will come down to realistic levels but just cannot get my head round the fee for Rodriquez with what he offers. And Sharp I have never seen any value in given what we have already.

It certainly seems with Donny signing Diouf, & Sharp not playing for "psychological" reasons on Sat. That he seems destined to leave sooner rather than later. Whether its Saints or Ipswich, who knows, I'm not convinced that Sharp is the right one for us. But what do I know if NA & NC think he is right then I'd back their judgement. Personally I'd prefer us to try to get Maynard in, I think his fee will be more realistic in Jan & I think he looks more capable of growing with the team.

Adkins has said he is only interested in signing 'better' than we already have. If he signs Sharp, Rodriguez or anyone else he will view them as better than we have. Wether we go up or not, I cant see him giving DC another contract next year. Therefore RL, Guly, LB & an other will be our 4 attackers. That is how many you need.

Their plan to bring in short term players who don't give a toss about Donnie and just want a move elsewhere? Genius. Heard him trying to justify it, made zero sense other than lining agents pockets and helping players. If a player is putting himself in the shop window, he's an individual, he doesn't much care about the results or what happens to the team. In effect there will be no team.

I feel bad for their fans. They should be looking at youth players if they haven't much money, or giving lower league players a chance. With decent management and scouting it has a chance of working, and the players they do bring in will at least try and play for the team. They at least have a chance that way. Instead, they have the treat of players like Diouf for a few months. Most fans worst nightmare.

Agreed, but desperate times call for desperate measures. They must be in a poor state to go down this route, and Saunders is going to have to be some sort of miracle worker to constantly be rebuilding a team.

Personally I'd hate this approach.

Their plan to bring in short term players who don't give a toss about Donnie and just want a move elsewhere? Genius. Heard him trying to justify it, made zero sense other than lining agents pockets and helping players. If a player is putting himself in the shop window, he's an individual, he doesn't much care about the results or what happens to the team. In effect there will be no team.

I feel bad for their fans. They should be looking at youth players if they haven't much money, or giving lower league players a chance. With decent management and scouting it has a chance of working, and the players they do bring in will at least try and play for the team. They at least have a chance that way. Instead, they have the treat of players like Diouf for a few months. Most fans worst nightmare.

I'd be gutted if that was us being used in that way. I guess acceptance of the scheme will boil down to whether the fans tolerate these turnstile pros coming in and going out so frequently in exchange for (hoped for) progress up the League. Be interesting to see what their existing playing staff think. Sorry [insert name] we're not picking you for 3 months whilst we showcase [insert name] to make a profit. How would that affect morale? Forget all that Billy, come "darn sarf" to a team where the team spirit is top notch...

Didn't we do something similar in the 80s?

Did we? I thought we did the opposite - signed quality players who had already made their name, reputation and money and fancied a challenge. Bit different to signing a bunch of arses who need rehabilitation before anyone else will touch them.

I meant he's a bit injury prone in general - he's had a few injuries in the last couple of seasons (knee, hamstring).

Any player can get injured at any time. It's all down to how quickly they recover and whether they " stay fit " afterwards.

The longer your career goes on, the greater the chances of a long recovery time.

Alan Shearer was quoted as saying there is a world of difference between being " fit enough to play " and being properly " match-fit ".

Players (however talented) who get injured often and are slow to recover each time get tainted with that phrase.

Darren Anderton (Sicknote) was a prime example at Spu*s, and the older they get.... the longer recovery can take. David Connolly an example.

Would anyone use the phrase " injury prone " about Lee Barnard whose played 20 mins. of competitive football in the last 6 months?

Some injuries by their very nature take longer. ankle and knee / ligaments especially, but that's not the same as being injury-prone,

and as Nigel Adkins would surely admit (with his physio experience) that the correct treatment is most important.

If Sharp has had injuries in the past ...so be it, but if NA is still keen on getting him, he'll want to know that his (Sharp's) " mindset " is just important as his physical condition.

Edited by david in sweden

The real reason he didn't play at the weekend. Thoughts and condolences are with Billy and his partner.

Doncaster Rovers' popular striker Billy Sharp suffered a tragic bereavement last weekend when his two day old baby died on Saturday. Billy has asked to lead players and supporters in a minute's applause before tonight's home game against Middlesbrough to celebrate his son's brief life.

His message to be announced to the fans reads 'this is a minute's applause to celebrate the short life of Billy and Jade's son Louie Jacob Sharp.

'Born 27th October.

'Taken by the angels on the 29th.

'Sleep tight son.'

Billy is in contention to play tonight for them and i'm now pretty sure he isn't on the move anywhere on loan at least unless he wants a clean start.

I would also like to pass on my thoughts to Billy Sharp and his family after hearing the news about his baby son that's just passed away and when things like this happen

into perspective!

Am pleased that he scored tonight though which will give a boost to his confidence!