F1 goes to Sky.

Pancake

Good point, adverts were my first thought as I have sky.....I forget there are still people that don't have the sky option!

Indeed. I could have Sky Sports if I wanted, but I refuse to. Not because I'm a Luddite, I just cant stand giving even more money to that bloody organisation. Dumping Sky entirely soon when the Freeview signal round here gets boosted; so no F1 for me from this season.

Indeed. I could have Sky Sports if I wanted, but I refuse to. Not because I'm a Luddite, I just cant stand giving even more money to that bloody organisation. Dumping Sky entirely soon when the Freeview signal round here gets boosted; so no F1 for me from this season.

You could always do some decorating instead. There's more than one way to watch paint dry.... ;-)

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

Seriously, just who is he trying to kid?

Hopefully by 2018 the worst of the recession will have gone by the BBC will go back to broadcasting it exclusively once they have some money. Sadly I think it's far more likely F1 and every other sport by then will be only be broadcast exclusively by Sky

Some suggestion that the concorde agreement includes clauses re free to air tv, which could lead the team to challenge it.

Ultimately though they will follow the money so assuming the Sky deal is big enough I can't see them bothering.

Alas:

"This agreement says that, in countries with the biggest audiences, F1 must not only be shown on pay television, though the current agreement runs out at the end of 2012 and the signatories are in the process of negotiating a new one."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13285715.stm

Alas:

"This agreement says that, in countries with the biggest audiences, F1 must not only be shown on pay television, though the current agreement runs out at the end of 2012 and the signatories are in the process of negotiating a new one."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13285715.stm

Even that's a bit ambigous really. F1 is not only going to be shown on pay TV, but half of the races ARE only going to be on pay TV. Maybe that's just Bernie being sneaky.

Even that's a bit ambigous really. F1 is not only going to be shown on pay TV, but half of the races ARE only going to be on pay TV. Maybe that's just Bernie being sneaky.

Oh indeed. I would love to know FOTAs view son this. The UK is one of the major TV audiences and the majority (if not all) of the teams sponsors have interests in this territory.

of course it will be live. Adverts are neither here nor there.

Well a lot of people might of thought they would do the whole itv thing and have breaks. So for them to confirm it won't is pretty good in my book. Sky get a bad rep from people but personally i quite like it. I have the choice of paying for it or not. Unlike the BBC of course.

Just over 5 million people watched the British GP a couple of weeks ago (If you factor in the 180,000 at the track who would have watched it on TV). I'm sure the sponsors will be absolutely delighted that their brands are being seen by 3 or 4 '00,000 as of next season.

**** that, i'd rather stream it off the net than get sky, shame too as the bbc format has been the best in years.

Aye we finally get great coverage then lose half the races, damn sky.

The Beeb should see if they can get the rights to show the celebs, the first corner and any crashes. I don't mind F1, and was really into it back when Jacques Villeneuve hit the scene, but essentially, the rest of the race is gash.

The Beeb should see if they can get the rights to show the celebs, the first corner and any crashes. I don't mind F1, and was really into it back when Jacques Villeneuve hit the scene, but essentially, the rest of the race is gash.

In other words, the highlights. (Well, take the pointless celebs out....)

They have them for every race.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Did not realise they were dedicating a whole new channel to it but I guess they are trying to screw with people who take sky sports 1 and 2 on BT vision etc. If they put it on sky sports 3 or 4 then they might get into trouble with ofcom as they previously said they would put the main sporting events on 1 and 2 (and once that was agreed and they were not forced to sell 3 or 4 they promptly moved some of the champions league over to them but putting F1 as well would possibly push things to far).

Anyway good news for Virgin Media customers like wot I am is that VM are carrying it from the start as part of their sports package:

http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/Stories/Formula-1-fans-on-pole-with-Virgin-Media-and-Sky-Sports-F1-2328.aspx

Just get sky & problem solved. If you cannot afford it either go watch the race at a pub or get a better paid job.

Highly suspect that the formula 1TM grand prixTM that the BBC will show will be the ones close to home which are close to the UK time zone. Not sure how many pubs are going to open at 2am to show the japanese grand prixTM

Since the Japanese grand prix isnt on at 2am, none, I should imagine.

Well given sky claim to be showing everything the grand prix includes the practice sessions and at least one will be on at 2am so there yaa boo sucks!

Anyway exact time is irrelevant my point was that with the BBC cutbacks they will cover the races in around Europe mainly one would expect where there is little difference in time zone to the UK. So its likely that a fair number of the Sky only ones will be at times that are inconvenient to watch live, especially in a pub or the like.

Edited by pedg

Well given sky claim to be showing everything the grand prix includes the practice sessions and at least one will be on at 2am so there yaa boo sucks!

Sorry, didn't realise you were referring to practise 1. No, you're absolutely right, I dont think many pubs will open to televise Practise session 1 to the public

Virgin better have it in HD!

It does not mention HD in the press release so I am guessing that sky have decided to either not offer VM the HD version or, more likely, offer it at a price that they know VM will not pay. One assumes that Sky have spent quite a bit on the rights and want to use it like sky atlantic to drive people to buy satellite dishes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...