Coventry

Im driving up for this one. First visit to the Ricoh Arena, cant say i am particularly looking forward to it as it seems on TV one of the worst atmospheres in the country with poor crowds. Should win and hopefully get 3k plus up there.

My tickets have arrived. Another new ground to tick off.

Anyone remember the Ska bands on at Cov' when we played them in an evening game before Xmas, about 15 years ago. The Selector if I remember correctly, and The Beat.

i don't remember them, but i remember it being a friday night, they must have moved it for the Christmas shoppers, and we stopped for a pint in the Rocket (for those who remember pub by the station) and a bit of a moody Christmas do was going on, we stood out a bit and didn't look welcome so supped up and got on the train back to London.

Used to like going to Highfield Road.

My tickets have arrived. Another new ground to tick off.

Anyone remember the Ska bands on at Cov' when we played them in an evening game before Xmas, about 15 years ago. The Selector if I remember correctly, and The Beat.

Yeah I remember that night, The Specials played without Terry and Neville sang Concrete Jungle whilst wearing a grass skirt.

Was going to get the train but think I'll drive now...31/2 hrs e/w on train from Norfolk and 5 changes in total, and £65, bugger that.

went there with Saints a couple of years back when the Ricoh first opened, the whole place is a soulless dump. The one pub we went into was worse than that bar on Tatooine, utter freakshow.

There's cheap parking just off the M6 Jn3 in a field. About 3/4 mile walk to ground but easy getaway - have used it before. Book online http://www.walktrot.com/new_page_4.htm

The Blackhorse as recommended on the site is also good, if you're not the driver.

We done this a few years ago, the pub served a purpose and was handy for parking.

Going by train for the first time this season. Anyone know of a boozer close to the station that I can kill half an hour in as will be waiting for mates to arrive on different train?

We done this a few years ago, the pub served a purpose and was handy for parking.

Going by train for the first time this season. Anyone know of a boozer close to the station that I can kill half an hour in as will be waiting for mates to arrive on different train?

The Rocket. Bit of a s**t hole, but you can't miss it and it does the trick.

Cheers but I just checked it and one of the comments says it closed last year, going by the other amusing comments I don't think it is a bad thing.

As far as i'm aware, it's still open. Yes, confirmed.

Edited by Colinjb

Anyone know if they run buses up to the ground from the train station or do they only go from the Pool Meadow bus station in town?

actually thinking about it, when i went there before had to go to the bus station to get the football bus, there was a wetherspoons very close to it which might be a good stop off point for a pint.

actually thinking about it, when i went there before had to go to the bus station to get the football bus, there was a wetherspoons very close to it which might be a good stop off point for a pint.
Yeah had a look through the usual bits and pieces and think that's the option, stroll down to Spoons, couple in there, then an earlyish bus up the ground. Exciting :D

Hi Mate. check out this page. good advice in here....

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/coventry_city/

This bit caught my eye "Again just when you think on your travels that you have seen it all.... I couldn't quite believe seeing near to the stadium 'Bubbles Car Wash' which advertised topless car washes for £15! Considering it was a cold November night, I thought that they should be charging more than £15 for that!"

This bit caught my eye "Again just when you think on your travels that you have seen it all.... I couldn't quite believe seeing near to the stadium 'Bubbles Car Wash' which advertised topless car washes for £15! Considering it was a cold November night, I thought that they should be charging more than £15 for that!"

Looks as if me and EW will be stopping off there...

£30 for a car washed by a bunch of pikey m1nge, rip off!

bubblesca.jpg

Well after all of the negative reports about Coventry as an away day on here prior to yesterday, have to say me & my mates had a cracking day. Got up there at about half 9, went to the Flying Standard in the city centre, probably the best spoons' breakfast I've ever had. Few beers there, moved onto the Longford Engine which was a nice little boozer, right by the canal. Add the game & a win on top of that and there being 3k Saints up there, great day all round really.

Well after all of the negative reports about Coventry as an away day on here prior to yesterday, have to say me & my mates had a cracking day. Got up there at about half 9, went to the Flying Standard in the city centre, probably the best spoons' breakfast I've ever had. Few beers there, moved onto the Longford Engine which was a nice little boozer, right by the canal. Add the game & a win on top of that and there being 3k Saints up there, great day all round really.
I was in both those pubs on Saturday and they were average at best, the whole day reminded me what a dump of a city Coventry is. Hopefully we won't be going back there in a hurry!