Saints V Cov. Post match reaction.

simo

All in all, apart from the result, I felt we were excellent and deserved to win. If we can keep dominating teams like that and a couple of players step up with a goal, so that we are not completly reliant on McG, then we could end the season in a safe position.

Agree with your review of the game....the only trouble is, in shipping out Stern John, we've probably just lost our main hope of achieving the ultimate goal (pun intended) of your last sentence.

The words 'ourselves', 'foot' and 'shooting' and/or 'nose', 'spite', 'cutting' and 'face' spring to mind....

By the way, what's happened to the "best catering in the world" mantle?

They've gone from doing nice, round deep-dish pizzas to some pop-tart look-alike 'pizza pod'. About half the size, half the taste and half the value. WTF is that all about?

And, where-oh-where were the Mexican chicken wraps? They were superb last season but nowhere to be seen last night.

Best catering my ar5e

Good in parts but Poortvleit's decision to switch Euell and Schneiderlin, front to back, at 70 mins was a disaster, which cost us the goal. Too late he reverted but only thanks to Euell giving him a right b*ll*cking. Unfortunately it rather seems as 'though he is clueless on tactics.

Trouble is brewing as the dressing room now appears to be telling management how to run things on the field. I had a feeling Poortvleit was losing the dressing room, seems that feeling was right so unless things change soon, i.e, new manager, then we will not recover.

Nothing on display last night convinces me we can go on a winning run and reverse our situation. We will struggle all year and if we get cut adrift at the bottom by a half-dozen points, there'll be no way back.

You don't screw Keira Knightley, but I doubt if that would stop you posting about how good she was in bed, on the basis that you toss yourself off, over a poster of her....

Is this sort of unprovoked hostility really necessary, John ?

Btw, she's not my type, and I have no idea what she is like in bed, though I doubt she is much cop - she's too thin.

Now tell me, what subconscious Freudian motive made YOU think of her ???

Now tell me, what subconscious Freudian motive made YOU think of her ???

I wasn't thinking of her, TBH. Every time you provide your opinion on yet another Saints performance, you failed to attend, I think of a sad ex-pat tossing themselves off in front of a computer monitor, with a soiled photo of Matt Le Tissier in his left hand.

If your wife catches you again, it'll be another week of washing dishes, you mark my words....

I started to read this thread when I got in from the game last night and could not believe the rubbish being written by people who obviously were not at the game. I had to leave my post until this morning because I could not be calm and reasoning.

I thought we were excellent and by far the most attractive team I have seen home or away this season. That being said we are lightwieght and naive at times, but we are running other teams ragged. Coventry were wilting in the first half where they had been chasing shadows for 40 minutes and we needed to score in that period 25 - 40 minutes. This thing many have with a 4-5-1 formation is not doing our team justice. Most of the time last night we were either 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 and the reason I am most encouraged is the fact that we managed to get forward in numbers. However, we cannot keep blaming McG for all of our goaless problems as he has scored - it is others who need to put some in the net. Lallana is a powder puff shooter and proved that again last night as did everyone else. We need to take more shots with some of them having some power in them rather than the back passes to the keeper.

I also think the criticism of Schniderlin is unfounded. He made himself available to receive the ball all of the time and I cannot remember him giving it away once. I thought he was very effective at pulling everything together. I agree that Wotton is not the greatest defender in the league but last night he talked to the youngsters all of the time pointing and telling them where the danger is likely to be. He was a huge influence and I think he would be more use to us playing just in front of the back four.

All in all, apart from the result, I felt we were excellent and deserved to win. If we can keep dominating teams like that and a couple of players step up with a goal, so that we are not completly reliant on McG, then we could end the season in a safe position.

Good post, too many non attending and bitter message board warriors who build an argument around the result and/or radio commentary. Not a clue a lot of them......

I would agree with you. I thought the team and Morgan in particular was excellent last night. McG worked his nuts off (for a change) and Euell was lively. A bit of shooting practice would not go amiss but if they keep playing that well every match with that degree of effort our luck will change.

Good post, too many non attending and bitter message board warriors who build an argument around the result and/or radio commentary. Not a clue a lot of them......

I would agree with you. I thought the team and Morgan in particular was excellent last night. McG worked his nuts off (for a change) and Euell was lively. A bit of shooting practice would not go amiss but if they keep playing that well every match with that degree of effort our luck will change.

I am really surprised that there is so much gloom and doom this morning.When I saw the team I thought we'd get a right dicking,we didn't and could have won, it.

To me that is progress, there are far far too many biased judgements on this forum.

Will it? Or will this be the story of our season that we played pretty, pretty football most matches but didn't come away with the result? This isn't the first time that teams allowed us to flatter to deceive, to pass the ball around the midfield, but to have very little cutting edge in the box. Don't they have enough shooting practice in training? Don't they practice penalties either? What exactly does Poortvliet do in those training sessions?

When push comes to shove, for all of our possession and for all that Coventry were poor, the three points should have been ours. Whatever our formation was, whether 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-2-1 or any other permutation, many of the fans and indeed the pundits reckon that we ought to play 4-4-2 home and 4-5-1 away. All season, our defence has not been strong enough to allow teams to exploit our defensive frailties by attacking from out wide, as we are simply not good enough at defending high balls from out wide.

We looked half decent last night because we had a spine of tougher experienced players, from Davies to Wotton to Euell. All we lacked was the experienced striker, but hey, we loaned them all out didn't we? The three points would probably have been ours last night with John playing, as he would have tucked away more of them than McGoldrick, some of whose misses were frankly embarassing.

I am really surprised that there is so much gloom and doom this morning.When I saw the team I thought we'd get a right dicking,we didn't and could have won, it.

To me that is progress, there are far far too many biased judgements on this forum.

Exactly right!! We played some decent football; they just need to shot on target a buit more often. Euell looked good, plenty of work and got stuck in. Would prefer to see AL in the hole, Euell sitting in a more defensive role. What struck me was the panic in the team once we had scored. We went from trying toplay the ball out to lumping the forward to no one. Once Coventry scored, we tried to play football again.

Good performnace, a game we should have won but plenty to build upon....

Whatever.

You've made a fool of yourself. :rolleyes:

Alpine as you have that crown I very much doubt it. You are the Patsy who keeps banging on about Rudi, I made an observation but you tried to make something of it.

You have told us you live in Austria, we take that as good faith for all we know you still live in Southampton and use the excuse of moving to save fielding the 'can't be bothered to go' posts which you never could answer. You want others to spend and pay so you can enjoy the fruits of it.

Sorry but that is wrong. The name of the game is getting points. Teams like Coventry at home you have to get those points. To win only once at home in what 7-8 games now? Is bad bad form. We have Preston which is a must win game then it is 3 tough games. Meaning if we can't beat a side like Coventry who had only won against us, at home then where are the points going to come from? So i understand your point but if you feel 1 point at home to Coventry and the performance was something to be happy about then your be happy with relegation. We need wins and we need them bad. There is a chance we could be 5 points adrift this saturday in the relegation zone. Then if we go into those 3 games and lose all 3 we could be anything like 8 points adrift etc.. which if that happens all the draws in the world will most likely not save us. We have to win and win our home games. I don't know who said it but "draws are the killers".

Sorry but that is wrong. The name of the game is getting points. Teams like Coventry at home you have to get those points. To win only once at home in what 7-8 games now? Is bad bad form. We have Preston which is a must win game then it is 3 tough games. Meaning if we can't beat a side like Coventry who had only won against us, at home then where are the points going to come from? So i understand your point but if you feel 1 point at home to Coventry and the performance was something to be happy about then your be happy with relegation. We need wins and we need them bad. There is a chance we could be 5 points adrift this saturday in the relegation zone. Then if we go into those 3 games and lose all 3 we could be anything like 8 points adrift etc.. which if that happens all the draws in the world will most likely not save us. We have to win and win our home games. I don't know who said it but "draws are the killers".
StM, whilst I agree with some of what you say I suggest you and about 20 others go onto the predictions thread and read what you all thought the result would be. For then to come on and criticise after what would be seemed as a far better result than you expected seems churlish to me.

StM, whilst I agree with some of what you say I suggest you and about 20 others go onto the predictions thread and read what you all thought the result would be. For then to come on and criticise after what would be seemed as a far better result than you expected seems churlish to me.

Nickh i think you may have misunderstood what people were thinking. Most people including myself could not see us winning the game. They didn't win the game. They in my opinion didn't deserve to win the game neither did Coventry. So in comparison to my prediction and others gaining a point looks better then losing obviously. But that doesn't mean we should be happy about it because we didn't lose. We should of won the game and that is why people are unhappy. In Jans interview he said "im happy about the performance but not happy about the result. If you have 20 draws in a season it makes things difficult". That is how most of us see it. If we had won then i would as im sure others would be happy, but we had to win that game, it was important to. So while i agree those who had us down for like 0-5 will be happy with a point, i'm not. Preston and Coventry and really the only 2 games we can look at and say we could get something. The rest i think our misfiring will cost us. The team need to start proving the people who say they can't win wrong and right now they are not doing it. Lets hope they get something on saturday because if we go 3-5 points adrift in the relegation zone i can't see where the goals,points will come from to get us out of it. That is why home games especially against the teams around us is vital to win. We will just run out of games if we keep the "always next week mentality".

Alpine as you have that crown I very much doubt it. You are the Patsy who keeps banging on about Rudi, I made an observation but you tried to make something of it.

You have told us you live in Austria, we take that as good faith for all we know you still live in Southampton and use the excuse of moving to save fielding the 'can't be bothered to go' posts which you never could answer. You want others to spend and pay so you can enjoy the fruits of it.

Dear oh dear.

In a desperate attempt to distract attention from yourself for being a smart-arse self-appointed know-it-all with an unhealthy interest in sniffing seats that Rupert Lowe has sat on, who states facts about Rudi Skacel without having a clue and who then dares to criticise the expression of an opposing opinion, you take a scatter-gun approach making loads of really stupid and eminently disprovable accusations.

Can I suggest you gently e-mail an administrator who can put you embarassingly straight on which country the two IP addresses I regularly login in from are registered to ?

The non-attendance defence is running embarassingly thin, nicky... As I have said before, we are shiit whether I or the other 18,000-odd fans that have decided not to go are sitting there or not.

You are the one with an obsession about Skacel. You tried to pick holes in his performance last night, with deliberate reference to his pay in support of your Messiah's position. You will not rest until he is out of the club. I, and many of the other saner people who follow this clubs fortunes, of couse recognise that he is one our few quality or near-quality players left that can do a job, and should be playing if we are paying him.

You carry on with your pathetic defence of the club direction, whilst the situation gets more and more desperate and you get proved more and more wrong, why dont you ?

I wasn't thinking of her, TBH. Every time you provide your opinion on yet another Saints performance, you failed to attend, I think of a sad ex-pat tossing themselves off in front of a computer monitor, with a soiled photo of Matt Le Tissier in his left hand.

If your wife catches you again, it'll be another week of washing dishes, you mark my words....

You wrote Keira Knightley, not Matt Le Tissier. I never denied tossing off to Matty....

Got a bit of a chip on your shoulder about ex-pats, have you ? Lost lots of money in the credit crunch and business not going too well, no doubt...

Never mind, you can do planty of this tossing off you refer to with all that spare time you will have on your hands following going bust...

Dear oh dear.

In a desperate attempt to distract attention from yourself for being a smart-arse self-appointed know-it-all with an unhealthy interest in sniffing seats that Rupert Lowe has sat on, who states facts about Rudi Skacel without having a clue and who then dares to criticise the expression of an opposing opinion, you take a scatter-gun approach making loads of really stupid and eminently disprovable accusations.

Can I suggest you gently e-mail an administrator who can put you embarassingly straight on which country the two IP addresses I regularly login in from are registered to ?

The non-attendance defence is running embarassingly thin, nicky... As I have said before, we are shiit whether I or the other 18,000-odd fans that have decided not to go are sitting there or not.

You are the one with an obsession about Skacel. You tried to pick holes in his performance last night, with deliberate reference to his pay in support of your Messiah's position. You will not rest until he is out of the club. I, and many of the other saner people who follow this clubs fortunes, of couse recognise that he is one our few quality or near-quality players left that can do a job, and should be playing if we are paying him.

You carry on with your pathetic defence of the club direction, whilst the situation gets more and more desperate and you get proved more and more wrong, why dont you ?

I managed to get under your ribs, that made the day even better. Your achilles heel is and always will be your postion not to bother to go to matches even when you were here ( 2 IP addresses!! I dont understand what they are but if you have 2 addresses you may have 2 user names then Corp Ho would never surprise me being your other one)

You wish for us to play all the star names (wouldnt we all) but at the same time criticise whoever for not wanting to pay them to do so, at the same time not yourself putting into the pot. If you cant see the nonsense in that then I can see why we often clash.

You are not bright enough to see Iam a supporter who defends the club against unfair abuse and understand that subversives like yourself add nothing to the clubs health but are just there to erode away at the clubs fibre. Yes RL has done some dire things but also some good.

I can sift through the 2 things and also see what bad was done when you and others followed blindly into the arms of the Wilde bunch and took up the banner and abused others who were warning of the perils of doing so. (I do not mean myself but good posters like Frank's cousin)

Rudi seems to be your most recent love, Rasiak and Saga have been shunned while you pander to Rudi.

As i said Rudi was OK last night and he helped the side look more balanced, he also nearly cost us the game and for his wage did not stand above James who is on a fraction of his wages, wheras Euell did look worth his salary.You brought Rudi s name onto other threads not me by the way. i of course countered your posts.

As you have not told us the Alpine plan of how to cut costs whilst playing the star players and keeping NP on then until I get persuaded by that bit of brilliance i will support the clubs efforts to keep us from administration.When the accounts come out then we may get a better picture of how things are and if we can afford to pay the appearance monies etc. Then if we are in the land of milk and hiney tyou will be able to tell me I am rong, but wauit until then.

I managed to get under your ribs, that made the day even better. Your achilles heel is and always will be your postion not to bother to go to matches even when you were here ( 2 IP addresses!! I dont understand what they are but if you have 2 addresses you may have 2 user names then Corp Ho would never surprise me being your other one)

You wish for us to play all the star names (wouldnt we all) but at the same time criticise whoever for not wanting to pay them to do so, at the same time not yourself putting into the pot. If you cant see the nonsense in that then I can see why we often clash.

You are not bright enough to see Iam a supporter who defends the club against unfair abuse and understand that subversives like yourself add nothing to the clubs health but are just there to erode away at the clubs fibre. Yes RL has done some dire things but also some good.

I can sift through the 2 things and also see what bad was done when you and others followed blindly into the arms of the Wilde bunch and took up the banner and abused others who were warning of the perils of doing so. (I do not mean myself but good posters like Frank's cousin)

Rudi seems to be your most recent love, Rasiak and Saga have been shunned while you pander to Rudi.

As i said Rudi was OK last night and he helped the side look more balanced, he also nearly cost us the game and for his wage did not stand above James who is on a fraction of his wages, wheras Euell did look worth his salary.You brought Rudi s name onto other threads not me by the way. i of course countered your posts.

As you have not told us the Alpine plan of how to cut costs whilst playing the star players and keeping NP on then until I get persuaded by that bit of brilliance i will support the clubs efforts to keep us from administration.When the accounts come out then we may get a better picture of how things are and if we can afford to pay the appearance monies etc. Then if we are in the land of milk and hiney tyou will be able to tell me I am rong, but wauit until then.

Au contraire.

It is you that has the intelligence problem, since you consistently fail to see that it is idiots like you that take anything that the club throws at them or serves up in the name of "football", that have led to this situation. Lowe relies and exploits your "loyalty" knowing he can offer up any old shiit and half-baked strategy and people like you who have a colossal vanity problem will claim to be the Über Fan and stick with it. When the results get so bad and the progress so non-existent that even the least fanatical of your ilk stop going and the attendance drops to really dangerous levels, then maye that idiot chairman will realise the footballing product is as important as short-term cost cutting.

Yes, my latest bugbear is Rudi Skacel, just as he is your latest crusade. So f**king what ? Saga and Rasiak are gone, we can only moan about them, there is still time to integrate Rudi into the team and use him to help build an stronger and more balanced team. Lest you conveniently forget, two of my biggest gripes with drunken Jock was the way he dropped Skacel and Rasiak during our play-off season.

I have pointed out to you time and again that short-term cost cutting is going to achieve absolutely nothing except prolong the inevitable where this club is concerned due to the impact of demotivated, unimpressed and falling attendances. You say I have no plan, but what about yours ? What's your masterplan when all the family silver like Lallana, Skacel, Davis and Euell have gone, and the club are trying to survive on sub-10,000 attendances with 5000 ST holders next season in League 1 ?

Yep, you have none. So dont lecture me sonny jim.

Au contraire.

It is you that has the intelligence problem, since you consistently fail to see that it is idiots like you that take anything that the club throws at them or serves up in the name of "football", that have led to this situation. Lowe relies and exploits your "loyalty" knowing he can offer up any old shiit and half-baked strategy and people like you who have a colossal vanity problem will claim to be the Über Fan and stick with it. When the results get so bad and the progress so non-existent that even the least fanatical of your ilk stop going and the attendance drops to really dangerous levels, then maye that idiot chairman will realise the footballing product is as important as short-term cost cutting.

Yes, my latest bugbear is Rudi Skacel, just as he is your latest crusade. So f**king what ? Saga and Rasiak are gone, we can only moan about them, there is still time to integrate Rudi into the team and use him to help build an stronger and more balanced team. Lest you conveniently forget, two of my biggest gripes with drunken Jock was the way he dropped Skacel and Rasiak during our play-off season.

I have pointed out to you time and again that short-term cost cutting is going to achieve absolutely nothing except prolong the inevitable where this club is concerned due to the impact of demotivated, unimpressed and falling attendances. You say I have no plan, but what about yours ? What's your masterplan when all the family silver like Lallana, Skacel, Davis and Euell have gone, and the club are trying to survive on sub-10,000 attendances with 5000 ST holders next season in League 1 ?

Yep, you have none. So dont lecture me sonny jim.

If you like to class me as an uber fan thats fine. I go to games yes that makes me more uber than you, I pay to go to games, that makes me more uber than you, I defend the club against subversives like you, yes i am an uber fan.

I dont disrespect our away fans like you, that doesnt make me an uber fan, i dont think my opinions are sounder than yours , that doesnt make me an uber fan, I can see we are in the mire financiall y and on the pitch, that doesnt make me an uber fan.

I stood/sat in the ground last night with 14k plus of decent people who were behind the team they support, they all care and worry about our future but i tell you what they werent booing or moaning but got behind the team as they know it is at times like now they are needed.

At times some of the songs that aree sung I dont agree with but those lads keep singing and keep the players heads up. What do fans like you do, get on your computer and moan and criticise and be subversive whilst pretending you care.

If you like to class me as an uber fan thats fine. I go to games yes that makes me more uber than you, I pay to go to games, that makes me more uber than you, I defend the club against subversives like you, yes i am an uber fan.

I dont disrespect our away fans like you, that doesnt make me an uber fan, i dont think my opinions are sounder than yours , that doesnt make me an uber fan, I can see we are in the mire financiall y and on the pitch, that doesnt make me an uber fan.

I stood/sat in the ground last night with 14k plus of decent people who were behind the team they support, they all care and worry about our future but i tell you what they werent booing or moaning but got behind the team as they know it is at times like now they are needed.

At times some of the songs that aree sung I dont agree with but those lads keep singing and keep the players heads up. What do fans like you do, get on your computer and moan and criticise and be subversive whilst pretending you care.

Jesus, talk about broken record.

Try to make an example of me as much as you want, the fact is there are 18,000 fans missing - meaning more of me than you. If that gives you some special warm "belonging" feeling, very good...

You deny it, but of course you think your opinion is superior to mine - look how you refer to us as "subversives". Sounds uncannily like "lunatic fringe" to me....

Anyway, back to my question : What's the master plan when in 6 months times the money from flogging any decent players we had has gone and we are relegated to League 1 with 5000 ST holders ?

Come on Mr. Einstein, I'm waiting.........

Ah bless.

Who needs an opposition to turn up each week when we have each other eh?

Another few weeks of this and I'm gonna start looking to get a sponsor for TSW Unlimited. Reckon we could get enough cash in selling the tv rights to global satellite channels to watch some of our supposedly more knowledgeable and wiser posters beat the cr*p out of each other for real.

We drew last night, and from what i read, although we may have been lightweight we did not collapse or play badly, so to me that was a result because in the past few weeks it looked like we were falling apart.

Leave it for the opposition gang, it's getting boring

Jesus, talk about broken record.

Try to make an example of me as much as you want, the fact is there are 18,000 fans missing - meaning more of me than you. If that gives you some special warm "belonging" feeling, very good...

You deny it, but of course you think your opinion is superior to mine - look how you refer to us as "subversives". Sounds uncannily like "lunatic fringe" to me....

Anyway, back to my question : What's the master plan when in 6 months times the money from flogging any decent players we had has gone and we are relegated to League 1 with 5000 ST holders ?

Come on Mr. Einstein, I'm waiting.........

The 18k are not on your side, many dont go for various reasons mainly I believe as we are not in the PL or wanting to watch a train crash.

Well if we carried on playing Rudi Rasiak Saga etc we would now be -10 or more points down.

Those players were in the squad that survived on the last day of the season in case you have forgotten (whicjh I know you havent, but I thought i'd better add it) the promising players would have been sold by the administrator and so it would be down to the players in the youth team to field a team, akka Bournemouth last term.

You ask what do we do in 6 months, which is a fair question, we hope to keep the banks on board and if we have gone down almost certainly what would have happened 2 months ago will happen then.

5000 s/t holders and other loyal fans will go along and cheer and watch L1 and if the club did not take the points deduction this season they would be -15 next. There is no pretty way of getting out of a financial pit of despair.

If we stay up, the club would have utilised its youth policy and saved the day, but whatever happens this season the top players will leave, it has happened for decades and so whoever is in charge it will happen again.Even the Wilde bunch sold dont forget.

ps You may think I think I know more than you or vice versa but in all thses things nobody is right or wrong because it is impossible to prove either way. Iam right that your postings are in the main subversive and are there to erode fans belief.

Edited by OldNick

Ah bless.

Who needs an opposition to turn up each week when we have each other eh?

Another few weeks of this and I'm gonna start looking to get a sponsor for TSW Unlimited. Reckon we could get enough cash in selling the tv rights to global satellite channels to watch some of our supposedly more knowledgeable and wiser posters beat the cr*p out of each other for real.

We drew last night, and from what i read, although we may have been lightweight we did not collapse or play badly, so to me that was a result because in the past few weeks it looked like we were falling apart.

Leave it for the opposition gang, it's getting boring

Sorry DP Alp and me do enjoy our little scrapes but he loves me really.

Vectis very true and you should accpet that nobody wants to offload the best however much you dislike RL. As I have pointed out before if we manage to avoid administration then those players getting off our wage bill have saved us -10 / -15 points this season and that is more than they would gain us if they played. We are hardly cut adrift yet although if we fail to pick up points in the coming weeks then we will be so.

Find it hard to believe that neither John, Saga or Ras individually would help us pick up 10 points in a season. Most people know thats what strikers do. Recall SJ's hattrick against Hull last season, that was 3 points, its not hard to find 3 wins and a draw gained by an experienced striker, even Ras who I like least of these 3 would surely do enough in a season to add 10 points to our total. Incidentally I don't believe that we will go into administration during the season, there is too much that can be done to avoid it, but if we are relegated then administration will follow as sure as night follows day.

By the way, I never said we were "cut adrift" - this is a term that implies no way back (cut being the operative word). We are undoubtedly "adrift", there is a gap of 2 points between us and a non-relegation place.

The problem also is where you think we will pick up points. A home draw is not "picking up points", it is and always has been "points dropped". We cannot win at home, and we won't while we effectively play 1 up front (whether or not that transforms into 2 or 3 or even 4 for short periods), especially when the 1 up front is an inexperienced youngster.

Average performance some good some bad

good

skacel tried to get forward

cork solid comfortable on the ball great player

mcgoldrick good goal

bad

mcgoaldrick lazy cant hold the ball up

james he is not a right back

Nobody marks at set pieces free heder for ward? from a corner first half

Good in parts but Poortvleit's decision to switch Euell and Schneiderlin, front to back, at 70 mins was a disaster, which cost us the goal. Too late he reverted but only thanks to Euell giving him a right b*ll*cking. Unfortunately it rather seems as 'though he is clueless on tactics.

Trouble is brewing as the dressing room now appears to be telling management how to run things on the field. I had a feeling Poortvleit was losing the dressing room, seems that feeling was right so unless things change soon, i.e, new manager, then we will not recover.

Nothing on display last night convinces me we can go on a winning run and reverse our situation. We will struggle all year and if we get cut adrift at the bottom by a half-dozen points, there'll be no way back.

I have certainly heard this too.....................

For what it's worth, my thoughts on the team on Tuesday

Davis - 7 - not much to do, but did nothing wrong

James - 7 - I watched him closely all match, because he has become a real scapegoat on here & I really couldn't see much wrong with him. Not the greatest defender, perhaps, but attacks well (ie our goal) & does seem to get left exposed by our various right-wingers this season

Skacel - 6 - did fine, but as earlier posters mentioned, hardly stood out as the million pound player in our squad of kids

Cork & Wotton - 6.5 - generally okay, but we do seem a bit lightweight in this area

Thomson - 6.5 - like Nathan Dyer with a brain

Schneiderlin & Surman -7 - classiest players on the pitch. I think Surman has found his true position in central midfield

Lallana - 6 - wasted out wide

Euell -7 - pleasantly surprised & he worked hard, too

McGoldrick - 7.5 - took his goal brilliantly & put in the level of effort that is needed every week

Peckhart, Smith & BWP - 6 - hardly made an impact

Poortvliet -6.5 - got a response from Saturday, but his substitutions were a) odd & b) poorly timed

Overall, an entertaining, open game. We do play better against other footballing teams & we deserved to win, but they had about three chances for one goal & we had about twenty

For what it's worth, my thoughts on the team on Tuesday

Davis - 7 - not much to do, but did nothing wrong

James - 7 - I watched him closely all match, because he has become a real scapegoat on here & I really couldn't see much wrong with him. Not the greatest defender, perhaps, but attacks well (ie our goal) & does seem to get left exposed by our various right-wingers this season

Skacel - 6 - did fine, but as earlier posters mentioned, hardly stood out as the million pound player in our squad of kids

Cork & Wotton - 6.5 - generally okay, but we do seem a bit lightweight in this area

Thomson - 6.5 - like Nathan Dyer with a brain

Schneiderlin & Surman -7 - classiest players on the pitch. I think Surman has found his true position in central midfield

Lallana - 6 - wasted out wide

Euell -7 - pleasantly surprised & he worked hard, too

McGoldrick - 7.5 - took his goal brilliantly & put in the level of effort that is needed every week

Peckhart, Smith & BWP - 6 - hardly made an impact

Poortvliet -6.5 - got a response from Saturday, but his substitutions were a) odd & b) poorly timed

Overall, an entertaining, open game. We do play better against other footballing teams & we deserved to win, but they had about three chances for one goal & we had about twenty

Its good to read from those at the game that we didn't play badly, that we had the better of the game with the obvious deficiencies. Listening to the game from far away, it didn't sound like a good performance but what can we tell when we can't see it!

Looking forward to taking my family to the Plymouth game in a month. Hope we won't be the only ones there! :)

Oh, and that it will be warmer.

Well, a point is better than nothing. How does everyone think we'll line up against Preston? I reckon:

---------Davis-----------

Cork--Perry--Pearce--Rudi

----Morgan--James-------

-Euell---Lallana----Surman

---------DMG-------------

Subs: Bart, Mills, Lancashire, BWP, Robertson