the Billy Sharp thread...

david in sweden

Well I've been told the Sharp transfer is a done deal as well, source is tenous I guess - friend of someone who works at the training ground. They were also correct on Chappy being out for another four weeks. Could of course be wrong but thought I'd pass it on. FWIW I'd have preferred Maynard but I really think Sharp has something to offer as well and that it would be a good deal for us.

No way should we sit with what we have...how can we? Barnard out for months, Connolly just come back from ages out, Guly the enigma...did we learn nothing from the Doncaster game?

We will never have a better chance of promotion..sitting on your hands is not an option.

read my post again. I said sit tight with what we have with a loan. i.e. don't spend £3-5m on a player that is not good enough for the Premiership.

I have to say I'm not that excited by the thought if signing Sharp or Maynard to be honest. Neither grab me nor look value for money. The championship seems to have a lack of really outstanding strikers and we are just on one of those periods when you overspend on almost everyone. The right time to look abroad if you ask me, or sit tight with what we have plus a loan and buy in the summer.

Promotion this season is there to be taken and ours to lose. I very much doubt we could get a January loan of a better goalscorer than Sharp and a foreign player will likely take time to acclimatise. Clearly its possible to get promoted without any additions, but getting Sharp in will make it more likely - and if he cant cut it in the premiership we could easily sell him again for £3m.

Edited by buctootim

we seemed to be so close last time that it feels like it has be us that is buying him. The Adkins link is so strong, he can't go anywhere else can he?

TBF I have no inside info on why it fell down in the summer but there does seem to be extenuating circumstances. I agree though that the fact we were so open about the bid, and Adkins links to the player makes it an easy link this January but also believable as well. Personally I think it's a good move - Sharp will help our ball retention up front for a start. People can praise Guly as much as they like but I think an orthodox striker would be a bit cuter at keeping the ball and giving Lambert a bit more of a chance (and I'm not knocking Guly). Of course the other thing is that Sharp can score from half chances. We're still making chances but we need to put more away and from what I've seen Sharp could do that. Could he cut it in the prem? Who knows but I wouldn't rule it out.

and if he cant cut it in the premiership we could easily sell him again for £3m.
maybe that's what Sheffield United thought when they spent over £2m on him, only for him to under perform and get only half back.

He's not a bad player, I just wonder if we could get better for £3m.

Would love to see us sign Sharp - I think he is exactly what we need. If we pushed Guly wide right and then had Lambo and Sharp up top we'd be pretty formidable I think.

Sharp is a great finisher and would put away some of the chances Guly has fluffed over the past few weeks. He would also hopefully be a damn sight more reliable in away games.

Of the names mentioned I think Sharp is the most likely, but knowing the new Saints way - we'll end up with some Italian we haven't heard of who will still turn out to be good even though everyone on here will get through the roof when he signs.

Sure =

free from doubt as to the reliability, character, action, etc., of something: to be sure of one's data.

confident, as of something expected: sure of success.

convinced, fully persuaded, or positive: to be sure of a person's guilt.

assured or certain beyond question: a sure victory.

worthy of confidence; reliable; stable: a sure messenger.

There is a player at Chelsea who they are looking to loan out in the 2nd half of the season. He's young, powerful, pacey....Romelu lukaku

Worth a quick loan offer for a few months? I can't see many premiership teams giving him lots of games, and what better way for him to adjust to English football than to come a few miles down the Motorway to top of the table Southampton...

Stoke tried to sign him at the back end of August, but they were told 'no' because he'd already played for 2 clubs during that transfer window (then they went out and brought Jerome anyway). AFAIK he's free to be loaned out after January, and I doubt Chelsea see much benefit in him going abroad when they'd probably prefer him to adjust to english football.

I have to say I'm not that excited by the thought if signing Sharp or Maynard to be honest. Neither grab me nor look value for money. The championship seems to have a lack of really outstanding strikers and we are just on one of those periods when you overspend on almost everyone. The right time to look abroad if you ask me, or sit tight with what we have plus a loan and buy in the summer.

The outstanding Championship striker already plays for us. Most of the strikers that come close play for teams in the promotion race as well and wouldn't sign for us. Of the rest, there's Jutkiewicz, Sharp, Maynard, Sordell and Jay Rod. Rhodes from L1 too. I'm sure that any one of those could do a job. We're not in the PL yet and if one of those can get us there (which I think they can) it will be money well spent. All of those are good players with enough dimensions to their game to adapt to the PL in the right setup.

Let's imagine that we haven't found a suitable striker from abroad yet, who do you suggest bringing in?

you can't just pick anyone up for £3m.......what if they are not for sale

sharp and maynard are (it seems) and the players available they would be good bets for us I'm sure

Good point, if they are the only two strikers available then so be it, but the championship is full of sides talking a good game but most in desperate financial strife, so £3m might twist a lot of chairman's arms.

What makes you sure, by the way? Neither looked all that in the recent games against us.

Let's imagine that we haven't found a suitable striker from abroad yet, who do you suggest bringing in?
DJ Cambell. Proven in the Premiership. Pace and finishing. QPR looking to spend might mean he surplus to requirements. As Delldays say availability is the most important thing, but Matt Phillips would kill two birds with one stone as he could play up front or out wide. Charlie Austin has impressed me whenever I've seen him. Not liked as a person, but he has ability and in our side would score goals.

I wonder what Jay Rod is worth now? He's having a cracking season to be fair, think he's on 14 in all comps now.

I think Burnley were interested in what we had to offer, but we weren't interested on what they then demanded.

he scored five of them against lower league teams int he cup. He's on 9 in the league and he's their penalty taker. not stellar. If it weren't for his dodg shoulder, Austin would be the guy we should be looking at.

I wonder what Jay Rod is worth now? He's having a cracking season to be fair, think he's on 14 in all comps now.

I think Burnley were interested in what we had to offer, but we weren't interested on what they then demanded.

Any idea what we actually offered for Jay-Rod? I can't remember what was legit, and what was "ITK" on here.

Lukaku would be unbelievable, but gotta believe someone like Everton/Wigan/Bolton would get the march on us for him.

DJ Cambell. Proven in the Premiership. Pace and finishing. QPR looking to spend might mean he surplus to requirements. As Delldays say availability is the most important thing, but Matt Phillips would kill two birds with one stone as he could play up front or out wide. Charlie Austin has impressed me whenever I've seen him. Not liked as a person, but he has ability and in our side would score goals.

I'm surprised to learn that DJ Campbell is 30 He must have been older than I thought he was when he came from the non-league. He wouldn't fit with our plan of building for the future.

Austin is no better than those others mentioned. I personally don't really like him as a player either. Too much like Rasiak for my liking - always in the right place for a ball in the box, but not a team player.

I'd take Sharp or Maynard over either of those.

Austin is no better than those others mentioned. I personally don't really like him as a player either. Too much like Rasiak for my liking - always in the right place for a ball in the box, but not a team player. I'd take Sharp or Maynard over either of those.

I used to think that, but listening to reports on 5live after a few Burnley matches, I have heard comments as to how hardworking the bloke is for the team and compliments paid to his 'link up play' etc. Personally I'm not sure about the other two either due to injury record (Sharp) and whether Maynard despite his pace,would fit into our team ethic and style of play.

Good point, if they are the only two strikers available then so be it, but the championship is full of sides talking a good game but most in desperate financial strife, so £3m might twist a lot of chairman's arms.

What makes you sure, by the way? Neither looked all that in the recent games against us.

Maynard has been crap all season according to Brizzle fans but Sharp has been very solid in a poor Donnie side. Now that they're just starting to pick up form and should easily finish outside the relegation places I'm not sure they'd be too willing to sell him and rock the boat though they are in financial trouble.

A question regarding Sharp, if any have seen him play or know, what is his style of play, and what does he bring to the team ?

He clearly has a good scoring record, but I don't think he has blistering pace, so does he also offer some aggression up front (as Barnard might), or guile (as Connolly) ? Or is he just an out and out scorer as someone described Austin above, "right place, right time" ? which in itself is a pretty good skill to have.

Before anyone answers, I accept he is currently available for selection whereas LB is not, and it will probably be only another five matches before DC also runs out of steam. So not intended merely as comparison with these two

I used to think that, but listening to reports on 5live after a few Burnley matches, I have heard comments as to how hardworking the bloke is for the team and compliments paid to his 'link up play' etc. Personally I'm not sure about the other two either due to injury record (Sharp) and whether Maynard despite his pace,would fit into our team ethic and style of play.

A lot of decent modern footballers are just what there manager wants them to be. Players don't decide tactics and game plans, they comply with the wishes of the manager and coaching staff.Most decent players have a lot in their respective lockers but you don't always see all of it in any given match.You only have to look at Lambert to know that,he has the ability to do virtually anything he's asked, it's up to the manager to ask the right questions of his players.

Maynard has been crap all season according to Brizzle fans but Sharp has been very solid in a poor Donnie side. Now that they're just starting to pick up form and should easily finish outside the relegation places I'm not sure they'd be too willing to sell him and rock the boat though they are in financial trouble.

Donny aren't picking up form really,they keep losing, they beat us in their cup final it's true but they lost again yesterday and are still next to bottom.They've lost Fortune back to wherever he came from and without him there's nothing to provide Sharp with the ammunition he needs.

Edited by Window Cleaner

There is a player at Chelsea who they are looking to loan out in the 2nd half of the season. He's young, powerful, pacey....Romelu lukaku

Worth a quick loan offer for a few months? I can't see many premiership teams giving him lots of games, and what better way for him to adjust to English football than to come a few miles down the Motorway to top of the table Southampton...

Stoke tried to sign him at the back end of August, but they were told 'no' because he'd already played for 2 clubs during that transfer window (then they went out and brought Jerome anyway). AFAIK he's free to be loaned out after January, and I doubt Chelsea see much benefit in him going abroad when they'd probably prefer him to adjust to english football.

OK who's just been on Wiki? - it says:

Personal information

Full name Romelu Benjamin Lukaku

Date of birth 13 May 1993 (age 18)[1]

Place of birth Antwerp, Belgium

Height 1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)[2]

Playing position Striker

Club information

Current club Chelsea

Number 18

Youth career

1999–2003 Rupel Boom

2003–2006 Lierse

2006–2009 Anderlecht

Senior career*

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†

2009–2011 Anderlecht 73 (33)

2011– Chelsea 3 (0)

2012- Southampton (loan) 0 (0)

National team‡

2008– Belgium U21 5 (2)

2010– Belgium 13 (2)

A question regarding Sharp, if any have seen him play or know, what is his style of play, and what does he bring to the team ?

He clearly has a good scoring record, but I don't think he has blistering pace, so does he also offer some aggression up front (as Barnard might), or guile (as Connolly) ? Or is he just an out and out scorer as someone described Austin above, "right place, right time" ? which in itself is a pretty good skill to have.

Before anyone answers, I accept he is currently available for selection whereas LB is not, and it will probably be only another five matches before DC also runs out of steam. So not intended merely as comparison with these two[/sZE]

He works very hard and finishes his chances. Not the quickest, but he often finds space behind defences. He's basically an upgrade on Barnard.

up here Ipswich fans firmly believe Sharp will be signing for us

the local is reporting that ITFC are not pursuing him now

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/billy_sharp_out_of_town_s_price_range_claims_jewell_1_1162184

I was told by someone at Ipswich (some of you know my connections with that club)

"We might as well just all pack up and give you lot the Championship title"

right time and place seems to be his main attribute, with some decent finishing. He doesn't have any great pace, but he's er, sharp. If we create chances he'll take them, but will he help us create more chances? Edited by Chez

up here Ipswich fans firmly believe Sharp will be signing for us

the local is reporting that ITFC are not pursuing him now

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/billy_sharp_out_of_town_s_price_range_claims_jewell_1_1162184

I was told by someone at Ipswich (some of you know my connections with that club)

"We might as well just all pack up and give you lot the Championship title"

Can't say I'm overfussed whether we sign Sharp or not really, don't think he'll add a great deal that we don't already have,lacks dynamism for me.

He works very hard and finishes his chances. Not the quickest, but he often finds space behind defences. He's basically an upgrade on Barnard.

That's pretty accurate actually. He literally would be a very similar move in the sense of snapping up one of the divisions best strikers.

(3m doesn't really compare to the 250k we got Barney for, though).

right time and place seems to be his main attribute, with some decent finishing. He doesn't have any great pace, but he's er, sharp. If we create chances he'll take them, but will he help us create more chances?

Chez. By a long chalk you consistently provide the most objective and insightful analyisis of players and games on this board.