the Billy Sharp thread...

david in sweden

Seems unlikely Sharp will be coming here if there is Prem interest.

Sure we have a few targets, if indeed we want a striker which although likely has not been confirmed anywhere!

I think it is pretty much common knowledge we want another striker.

I think it is pretty much common knowledge we want another striker.

at least one. I just hope its a player either based in England or knows English football. We need someone to step up to the plate straight away, not someone who needs time to settle, adapt, learn the language and football etc.

Having said that, he wasn't prolific and certainly didn't have a good chances to goals record.

Having played without setting the place alight is no recommendation as far as I am concerned and for the money not worth the risk.

For what it's worth I see no problem in trying a player at this level to see if he can make this jump. If he can, he could probably make the next one and it wouldn't break the bank either way. If he can't it wouldn't cost as much and he would be saleable if only to return to a lower level. Lots of quality players start at a lower level.

We all rave about Sharp and Maynard in either positive or negative fashion. For me the question I would ask is would having Rickie in either of their teams make them better in their place. If the answer is yes then they are not what we want. If either is likely to be better as a partner than Lee or Guly then possibly.

What we need is another goalscoring striker but one that can adapt to our manner of play. One that can lead the line if and when Rickie is unavailable as well as play with him. Such a player will not be easy to find and I guess our Nigel will have his own thoughts. Just pray we don't see another Forte.

Indeed, I think people are setting their sights too low. In principal we're only in the NPC for another 4 months, don't want to have to start all over again in May. That's why I said I'd personally prefer Beckford to Sharp, because he's got previous in the PL.[/QUOTE]

well it's rather limited .. and not very impressive either !¨

Since moving to Everton he's scored 8 times in 34 starts--not earth shattering, and his record at Leicester this season (in NPC) is 2 goals in 16 games !

Edited by david in sweden

we could perhaps loan Beckford. No one is going to buy him and pay those wages, so Leicester are effectively stuck with him and I'm sure they'd be happy to lose his wages (or a large part of them) for a while - although maybe not to a promotion rival.

Indeed, I think people are setting their sights too low. In principal we're only in the NPC for another 4 months, don't want to have to start all over again in May. That's why I said I'd personally prefer Beckford to Sharp, because he's got previous in the PL.[/QUOTE]

well it's rather limited .. and not very impressive either !

Played above 30 times for Everton and got about 8 goals. More prolific than modern day Torres if you just look at stats.

Beckford has pace,he's not just a finisher,we already have a finisher.

I think it must mean he can leave - as long as the fee is at least £3 million ....

- but if a number of clubs are interested to buy him, there will be an auction situation and the final price will surely be higher.

Absolute tripe.

He's got a £3 million release clause, meaning if he wants to leave, he can talk to anyone matching that offer. It's shoddy journalism. No-one in their right mind would pay more than £3 million now they know about this clause.

BId £3.5m? Why would anyone bid £3.5m when he can leave for £3m?

Spot on. As you say there is no need to be the other 500k.

So I guess you can conclude the papers are making it up or it is just lazy journalism and I suppose neither would surprise any of us.

Absolute tripe.

He's got a £3 million release clause, meaning if he wants to leave, he can talk to anyone matching that offer. It's shoddy journalism. No-one in their right mind would pay more than £3 million now they know about this clause.

So it's 3 million to Donny and then whoever offers most to Sharp that will obtain his services I guess. Doubt if were going to be front runners in that sort of auction,unless of course he wants to come to the best club and will yake less to do so. Still think lack of a guaranteed start will be a stumbling block with us.

So it's 3 million to Donny and then whoever offers most to Sharp that will obtain his services I guess. Doubt if were going to be front runners in that sort of auction,unless of course he wants to come to the best club and will yake less to do so. Still think lack of a guaranteed start will be a stumbling block with us.

How many players are guaranteed a start in the Prem? Not many that have been purchased from the Championship. And how many players would have a guaranteed start in their contract? Every player worth his salt has to fight for his place wherever he is. If he were a Rooney he wouldn't need the guarantee because his talent would guarantee it, provided club rules haven't been broken.

And even Rickie was subbed recently.

So it's 3 million to Donny and then whoever offers most to Sharp that will obtain his services I guess. Doubt if were going to be front runners in that sort of auction,unless of course he wants to come to the best club and will take less to do so.

Still think lack of a guaranteed start will be a stumbling block with us.

with Barnard out for an indefinite period (injury + eventual court judgement) and Connolly's (uncertain fitness + a contract that goes out in June), that may not be an issue. Taking that into account, we should be looking for TWO new strikers.

I wouldn't pay £3 million for someone - and not play him (unless it was Delgado)..and if he (Sharp) didn't deliver the goals, he'd expect to be "rested" now and again.

Regarding Sharp I know he would come to us over any other club as he was speaking recently to Beattie at his christening.

They are the best of mates from the Sheffield days and Beatts has sold the club to him.

He hopes Saints can do a deal with Doncaster as he needs a furesh start,

I know someone who was at the christening.

Also Fontaine has been mentioned. (pinch of salt that one)

Going to add my bit on this.

Not at any time did I say this was a done deal, I have said we are his number one choice if Saints can sort out a deal with Doncaster.

Seems like we was not interested then after that Solent Tweet.

Can someone dig out my comments on the Lucas situation as I posted something about 3 weeks ago on the forum, my iPhone is too much hard work to find it.

Cheers

This one Pilchards

Okay my go for the gossip bit.

Lucas from Coventry, just needs to agree personal terms according to someone who knows Lucas very well.

Never had gossip from this guy before but his son knows him.

That's the one you superstar.

I work with this guy who's son is best mates with Lucas, Lucas was down on Xmas eve to see his folks & friends, I shall ask him tonight if we have an update on this.

That's the one you superstar.

I work with this guy who's son is best mates with Lucas, Lucas was down on Xmas eve to see his folks & friends, I shall ask him tonight if we have an update on this.

blimey, if this goes through next week then Dalek will be pleased.

to be honest, they're going the wrong way about it. Sharp is a decent player but I don't think he'll be a potent premiership player.

They're filling their squad up with too many players on big money, who arguably won't be good enough for the league above. Good management.

I much prefer the way we go about it if I'm honest...

Latest on Sharp as of a week ago, Saints are his number one choice and he only wants 20k a week.

I've no idea if we are interested in him though.

I suppose it's some consolation -in that NA does know him and will make a decision based on that .- and we trust in him, so whatever happens (longer term) - we say it was right (at this time).

Edited by david in sweden

Latest on Sharp as of a week ago, Saints are his number one choice and he only wants 20k a week.

I've no idea if we are interested in him though.

We should be. Proven at this level, banging them in for a team bottom of the league, he has played for our manager before, and if to be believed has a release clause of just £1.8m which is peanuts compared to the fortune we received for Oxo.

Indeed, I think people are setting their sights too low. In principal we're only in the NPC for another 4 months, don't want to have to start all over again in May. That's why I said I'd personally prefer Beckford to Sharp, because he's got previous in the PL.

I'm with this

We are within licking distance of promotion,might as well bed in a prem quality striker now in anticipation,it would also send out a clear message of intent to the likes of west ham and boro.

My son works with the West Ham first team as a performance analyst coach and played in the same teams as Lukas when they were both at school down here and knows Lukas really well.I spoke to my son last night about there game with Coventry today and asked if he was going to speak to Lukas today.He said he would and I asked him to confirm with Lukas Saints interest in him and he said he would ask him and so I am intrested to see his reply to the question.

This one Pilchards

Okay my go for the gossip bit.

Lucas from Coventry, just needs to agree personal terms according to someone who knows Lucas very well.

Never had gossip from this guy before but his son knows him.

My son works with the West Ham first team as a performance analyst coach and played in the same teams as Lukas when they were both at school down here and knows Lukas really well.I spoke to my son last night about there game with Coventry today and asked if he was going to speak to Lukas today.He said he would and I asked him to confirm with Lukas Saints interest in him and he said he would ask him and so I am intrested to see his reply to the question.

Dave, pm me if you hear anything worthwhile.

Football fans or not, that's a cold-hearted and sickening thing to chant. I've had a moan about our own fans getting on our players back, but I truly believe no Saints supported would sink to such disgusting levels.

Any news on Jutkiewicz then fella? Think we've got a rather urgent need for a new striker or 2 after today's events.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

He did speak to Lukas before the game but they didnt discuss any move to Saints. He did say that Lukas got injured in the first minute and eventually went off in the 60 min so sorry guys no news.

Any news on Jutkiewicz then fella? Think we've got a rather urgent need for a new striker or 2 after today's events.