the Billy Sharp thread...

david in sweden

Would love to see us sign Sharp - I think he is exactly what we need. If we pushed Guly wide right and then had Lambo and Sharp up top we'd be pretty formidable I think.

Sharp is a great finisher and would put away some of the chances Guly has fluffed over the past few weeks. He would also hopefully be a damn sight more reliable in away games.

Of the names mentioned I think Sharp is the most likely, but knowing the new Saints way - we'll end up with some Italian we haven't heard of who will still turn out to be good even though everyone on here will get through the roof when he signs.

Gully is not a wide player, id only play him wide if there was no one else he;s too lazy to be a wing midfielder. Id drop Gully for a sub role/reserve to lambo.

right time and place seems to be his main attribute, with some decent finishing. He doesn't have any great pace, but he's er, sharp. If we create chances he'll take them, but will he help us create more chances?

That would be Gary Lineker, Kevin Phillips, Micky Quinn, Dean Windass and a whole host of others for you. They don't really create chances because it's not their job, and they don't have any real pace either. Of course I'm not putting Sharp in the same category as those I've mentioned but he's a similar style of player and for my money it's not creating chances that's a problem but converting them. In any case if the rumour that we're looking at a wide right player is true then that is hopefully where the pace and opportunities come from - Matt Phillips or McGuggan can do that job easily. Personally I also think an orhodox striker helps Lambert as well.

A question regarding Sharp, if any have seen him play or know, what is his style of play, and what does he bring to the team ? He clearly has a good scoring record, but I don't think he has blistering pace, so does he also offer some aggression up front (as Barnard might), or guile (as Connolly) ? Or is he just an out and out scorer as someone described Austin above, "right place, right time" ? which in itself is a pretty good skill to have.

Before anyone answers, I accept he is currently available for selection whereas LB is not, and it will probably be only another five matches before DC also runs out of steam. So not intended merely as comparison with these two

sadly the comparison has to be between a fit Sharp and a fit Barnard. We all remember how hot Barnard was last season and a couple of really good spells, but not only does he have to recover his fitness ? (dubious),but he has to regain the sharpness in front of goal he had previously!

and draw the lucky card in MONOPOLY ! Either way don't expect to see him back regularly this season.

As for being an-out and out scorer who is in the right place at the right time..personally, I think that is the single, most important quality for any striker. I've watched decades of " pretty passing", and " skilful" football - hard working players who run their guts out (and even throw up on the pitch)..and nothing to show for it. (Once in a generation, you may get a MLT or similar type - but otherwise most strikers are like the weather.).

No !...give me a striker who can get the ball in the back of the net regularly... and get the points every week.

Edited by david in sweden

Wish Leicester would p*ss off and find their own transfer targets. I assume that when someone has a set amount that releases them from their contract there is no need to outbid anyone else in terms of transfer fee' date=' but rather we must compete in personal terms?[/quote']

I am sure Leicester are sitting around just waiting to see who we are linked with and then bidding for those players rather than bothering to scout them themselves.

I watched S****horpe a fair bit a few years ago as a couple of my cousins are big Scunny fans. Sharp was playing for them back then and he looked fantastic - he has a brilliant eye for goal (a proper poacher's eye) but has some good movement too. He was outstanding in an average team, which is presumably why he was spotted and snapped up by Sheffield United (?) but for whatever reason, that move didn't work out for him.

Would love him at Saints!

Regarding Sharp I know he would come to us over any other club as he was speaking recently to Beattie at his christening.

They are the best of mates from the Sheffield days and Beatts has sold the club to him.

He hopes Saints can do a deal with Doncaster as he needs a fresh start,

I know someone who was at the christening.

Also Fontaine has been mentioned. (pinch of salt that one)

Regarding Sharp I know he would come to us over any other club as he was speaking recently to Beattie at his christening.

They are the best of mates from the Sheffield days and Beatts has sold the club to him.

Err didn't we do a deal with Doncaster last summer??

Are we requiring players to get baptised before they sign for us now? I know Markus was big on the god squad stuff but that seems a bit excessive....

Led to believe we did but it wasbecausehis wife was 5 months pregnant at the time & he thought it was the wrong timing.

This is exactly what i was told by someone up north who is involved with Doncaster with the agreement to talk again in January.

Out injured for up to 6 weeks apparently so doubt that one will happen. Think Sharp would be perfect for us if we can do a deal. How long ago was this christening? Is this recent stuff - although I'm guessing prior to Leicester's quoted interest?

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Out injured for up to 6 weeks apparently so doubt that one will happen. Think Sharp would be perfect for us if we can do a deal. How long ago was this christening? Is this recent stuff - although I'm guessing prior to Leicester's quoted interest?

Week before Xmas & Fontaine is not injured anymore I was told. (from another source) pinch of salt with Fontaine as he has been wrong before.

In where?

In fact I'd rather let them have Sharp and get Beckford for ourselves. Got this niggly feeling that Sharp wouldn't be consistently good enough for us.

Beckford over Sharp? No thanks. Beckford is League 1 with an awful attitude, wouldn't want him anywhere near our squad.

Sharp is a down to earth guy who I believe will thrive off Rickie's knock downs and score a lot of goals for us. Rather have Sharp for £3m compared to Jay Rod and Maynard (Bristol reportedly after £6m).

Beckford over Sharp? No thanks. Beckford is League 1 with an awful attitude, wouldn't want him anywhere near our squad.

Sharp is a down to earth guy who I believe will thrive off Rickie's knock downs and score a lot of goals for us. Rather have Sharp for £3m compared to Jay Rod and Maynard (Bristol reportedly after £6m).

Same. I'd far rather have Sharp in the team, I'm not convinced by Beckford as a player or person - just my opinion though.

Of course not, Leicester probably don't have the type of midfield you need to get the best out of Beckford, we do.

Disagree- Beckford might offer us some pace and we'd be able to exploit the ball over the top but he doesn't have the touch or control to fit into our normal game which would rely on him playing with his back to goal. If anyone's unsuited to our game, its Beckford.

Beckford reportedly has a terrible attitude. For this reason I don't want him. He has played in the Prem but my Everton supporting mate said he was the laziest player he'd ever seen who was most definitely NOT good enough for the Premiership. He's hardly doing it in the Championship either, Leicester might not have as good a midfield as us but its still better than the majority in the Championship. Even David Nugent is scoring a few goals for the Foxes and he really is ****e.

Would rather have Sharp, someone who has proved his worth in the Championship this season even in a team which isn't really very good. He hasn't had the chance to prove himself in the Prem either.

Can't see why anyone would want Beckford over Sharp - although it would take the heat of Guly (if you think he's lazy just wait until you see Beckford)

Beckford reportedly has a terrible attitude. For this reason I don't want him. He has played in the Prem but my Everton supporting mate said he was the laziest player he'd ever seen who was most definitely NOT good enough for the Premiership. He's hardly doing it in the Championship either, Leicester might not have as good a midfield as us but its still better than the majority in the Championship. Even David Nugent is scoring a few goals for the Foxes and he really is ****e.

Would rather have Sharp, someone who has proved his worth in the Championship this season even in a team which isn't really very good. He hasn't had the chance to prove himself in the Prem either.

Can't see why anyone would want Beckford over Sharp - although it would take the heat of Guly (if you think he's lazy just wait until you see Beckford)

I wouldn't get yourself at it too much about him. The only people talking about Beckford are ones on here. It aint gonna happen.

For those who don't know, we did bid 3 million + for Beckford last August you know, we wanted him,our price wasn't enough for Everton,Leicester added the couple of quid more that they wanted.Beckford is a good player and I've no doubt that Nigel can handle "attitudes".

He did previously deal with Beckford whilst he was on loan at Scun-thorpe.