Man on the Moon.

Dog

We live in a world of cynicism. It used to be the province of the jaded and political. Now it seems cynicism is so cool people will try to debunk anything that smacks of purity. The U.S. moon landings were aimed by the Whiite House as a political statement to the rest of the world that Western Democracy [and especially America] was more powerful than the Communist Eastern bloc. When the media and populaced interest had died, the Apollo Project were well into the scientific missions. Excellent work was done, and there are still many years of research to come out of the rock and soil samples brought back. Nowadays, the origins of the Moon and the Earth are far clearer than they were prior to the Apollo Project, and as a direct result of the missions.

In all honesty, if you look hard enough, you'll find overwhelming evidence that the Apollo missions took place. It should take you at least 5 minutes to do so.

What about the Russians that got there first, but didn't slow down quick enough? ;-)

NASA Announces Plans For A REAL Moon Landing

No More Fake Landings: "We're Going To The Moon For Real This Time"

CAPE CANAVAREL-- NASA spokesman Brian Kirk announced Monday that NASA is scheduled to attempt the world's first moon landing in the year 2006.

"We're going to the moon for real this time," said Kirk. "There will be no sound stages or doubled-up footage. We really are going to go to the moon."

After Kirk confirmed that NASA's 1969 moon landing was a fake, he made no apologies on their behalf for misleading the public.

"We embellished the first moon landing at the height of the Cold War and we had absolutely no moral qualms about doing it," stated Krik. "We gave America an edge in the 'world view' with our moon landing. We believe that it was a fantastic piece of [public relations] for America, Americans, and capitalism--when we needed it most."

Kirk conceded that there was one regret about the 1969 moon landing facade. NASA's only disappointment about the faked moon landing was in the gross underestimation of the American public and those idiots on The Saints Forum.

"I really think that we should have done a better job in faking the first moon landing. When we look back, it's really kind of embarrassing how poor a job was done in 1969. We didn't draw the star constellations correctly in the background; we simply doubled the footage in slow motion and thought that everyone would believe that everything was exactly half as slow on the moon's surface; we tried to make the public believe that we would spend 30 billion dollars to send a couple of astronauts to the moon to hit a bucket of golf balls and drive around in a lunar dune buggy. And, we used the exact camera angles that were used in the 1968 film, 2001: A Space Odyssey."

"I'm sure half of the people watching our historic 'live' broadcast of the 'first man on the moon' were having feelings of déjà vu," added Kirk. "It was just ridiculous."

"After the 1969 moon landing, NASA was questioned and mocked by astronomers and physicists--even slapped in the face by Hollywood with the movie Capricorn One," said Kirk. "We promise that this is not going to happen again. We regret and apologize for our poor job of portraying the 1969 'moon landing' and we plan to make it up to the public by going there 'for real' this time."

"We are fully prepared to really go to the moon in 2006 and do intensive geological and atmospheric testing," said Kirk. "We want to know everything about the moon's mineral make-up and its structure."

"And we're going to leave the golf clubs at home," Kirk quipped.

nasa.png

Previously unreleased photo of the moon landing set inside a mocked-up NASA hangar.

Discovery Channel right now:

Moonwalk One - Theo Kamecke's film of the moon landing. I remember the day and I was only five years old at the time, brilliant.

If you don't believe it really happened, I feel sorry for you as it is to this day up there with the most amazing things that 'Man' has achieved.

NOTE:

I met Buzz Aldrin in T1 at Heathrow, nice chap and he joked about being afraid of flying. I think he was joking.

Edited by hamster

I may be risking a 'visit' in the early hours, but doubt very much that NASA monitors SWF, but Buzz told me this. One of the best kept secrets from the moon landings was that they actually did find a life-form.

The dead specimen was placed in a vacuum canister and put to one side whilst the astronauts collected further rock and dust samples. Prior to re-entering the ship, Neil apparently insisted on going looking for the golf ball (imagine how much it would be worth today). Anyway, overloaded and climbing the stairs he almost lost his grip on the artefacts and he had to choose between the golf ball and the vacuum canister. You guessed it, he dropped a major langer and kept the ball. Idiot.

Secret unseen image here:

http://www.collectablesltd.com/acatalog/major_clanger.jpg

What about the Russians that got there first, but didn't slow down quick enough? ;-)

The Russians might not have got there first [or at all in a manned way], but by the next year they did send Lunokhod I. They kind of got it together in a hurried way when they realised they weren't going to win any races to get to the moon, because they simply couldn't develop the necessary technology in time. Lunokhod was fairly effective, and for a short while did re-ignite the debate of why manned flights were necessary. Later Apollo science mssions put that argument firmly to bed. Robots can't stand next to rocks and choose the one that tells the geological story. It just picks up any old bit of rock and soil. Hence why geologist Harrison Schmitt got to be be in the Apollo 17 [and last] crew.

During one of Schmitt's stoops to pick up a notable rock with his trowel, he picked up the rock of all the missions, because that rock sample has become the central evidence that suggests that the moon once had an active magnetic field. It took a geologist to recognise a certain rock, and not another, might have those properties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunokhod_1

EDIT: Hamster - Amazing how Armstrong picked up a golf ball shot by Alan Shepard 3 missions later. ;)

Edited by St Landrew

I may be risking a 'visit' in the early hours, but doubt very much that NASA monitors SWF, but Buzz told me this. One of the best kept secrets from the moon landings was that they actually did find a life-form.

The dead specimen was placed in a vacuum canister and put to one side whilst the astronauts collected further rock and dust samples. Prior to re-entering the ship, Neil apparently insisted on going looking for the golf ball (imagine how much it would be worth today). Anyway, overloaded and climbing the stairs he almost lost his grip on the artefacts and he had to choose between the golf ball and the vacuum canister. You guessed it, he dropped a major langer and kept the ball. Idiot.

Secret unseen image here:

http://www.collectablesltd.com/acatalog/major_clanger.jpg

I suspect the only visit you are likely to get is from men in white coats ;)

Whats harder, faking the biggest event of the 20th century infront of billions and making the lie last for 40 years, or actually putting a man on the moon! I think NASA went for the easy option, actually doing it!

Indeed they did land on the moon. If not a friend of mine who worked for NASA for 40+ years has been telling me porkies for many years! Fair to say I believe him rather than the loony tunes who spout conspiracy theories!

Discovery Channel right now:

Moonwalk One - Theo Kamecke's film of the moon landing. I remember the day and I was only five years old at the time, brilliant.

If you don't believe it really happened, I feel sorry for you as it is to this day up there with the most amazing things that 'Man' has achieved.

NOTE:

I met Buzz Aldrin in T1 at Heathrow, nice chap and he joked about being afraid of flying. I think he was joking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU

Charming.

EDIT: Hamster - Amazing how Armstrong picked up a golf ball shot by Alan Shepard 3 missions later. ;)

Details SL, mere details.

On the subject of golf balls, does everyone agree that 'that' golf ball hit was the farthest that a golf ball has ever been struck? Do not answer too quickly, this is a test.

On the subject of golf balls, does everyone agree that 'that' golf ball hit was the farthest that a golf ball has ever been struck? Do not answer too quickly, this is a test.

No, it seems unlikely.

Golf ball travels further in the atmosphere of the earth than in a vacuum, due to the little dimples.

Golf ball travels further in the atmosphere of the earth than in a vacuum' date=' due to the little dimples.[/quote']

Seriously B? I would have thought that there is little or no air resistance in a vacuum, added to the low gravitational pull on a golf ball. I am obviously wary of being 'whooooshed' here, so will stress that I was chucked out of cse phsics and was not even 'allowed' to sit the exam.

Anyway, I am fairly confident that that the answer to the original question is not the one hit on the moon, so where was it hit?

Seriously B? I would have thought that there is little or no air resistance in a vacuum, added to the low gravitational pull on a golf ball. I am obviously wary of being 'whooooshed' here, so will stress that I was chucked out of cse phsics and was not even 'allowed' to sit the exam.

Anyway, I am fairly confident that that the answer to the original question is not the one hit on the moon, so where was it hit?

Off of the top of a mountain? That'd travel a long way - admittedly most of the journey would be downwards :D

It is true. My flatmate did his Uni dissertation on that very subject.

The golf ball's dimples actually uses the air drag from preventing it from falling as quick as it should - due to the fact when you hit the ball with the inclined club face you automatically impart some backspin on it.

Ponty's suggestion of off a mountain would almost certainly win it in my mind.

On a mere detail then - Alan Shepard of Apollo 14 [i will have my little details], the hitter of said golf ball, lifted up his visor, as the ball raced away, and proclaimed that it went... miles and miles and miles.

Now whether that qualifies it as the furthest a golf ball has ever been struck, I don't know. It apparently went upto 400 yards, which wasn't at all bad. I remember that it went off at a fantastic rate for a golf ball being struck one handed by a bloke in a cumbersome spacesuit holding a long trowel with the head removed and a 6 iron club head attached instead. Of course, it wouldn't have had anything to do with there being one sixth the gravity. He just must have got a fantastic shot off and at the third attempt, if I'm not mistaken. The first attempt was a mis-hit, which, IIRC elicited a very American... got more dirt than ball..! The second one went fairly straight.

EDIT: Little Realplayer clip here: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/a14v.1350811.rm

Edited by St Landrew

Is it the ball that was hit by someone on an airport runway?

Travelled over a mile IIRC...

Very close Weston Super Saint, very close indeed.

The curry was lovely btw, and for my very first attempt at not using a jar of sauce, I am chuffed. Next time I will use real cream as on this occasion I went for the low-cal fromage frais (idiot).

The furthest that a golf ball has travelled when hit was aboard a flight of Concorde.

Putted down the aisle whilst travelling at really fast, it was estimated to have travelled more than NINE miles. IIRC it was hit by someone on the Sue Ryder Cup team in the late nineties. When I worked there (Thieth Row) in the early 90's I remember that Suggs (Madness) hit one for charity that travelled quite some distance too.

Feel free to add deatils from Google. I am currently boycotting Google to see exactly how much I know (or not) with a view to sueing Kent County Council Educacion Authority for not doing their job properly.

I don't believe it happened. Perhaps someone can tell me how they operated those Cameras in those space suits? I've seen the Cameras that they were supposed to have used and there's no way they could be operated by someone in a spacesuit. The other thing is that all the pictures are perfectly in frame. A near impossible task given that the Astronauts were unable to use a viewfinder at eyelevel.

Anyway, on a lighter note. This has to be my favourite Moon Landing story...

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" statement but followed it by several remarks, usual com traffic between him, the other astronauts and Mission Control. Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled.

On July 5, 1995 (in Tampa Bay, FL) while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball which landed in the front of his neighbor's bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. & Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex! You want oral sex?! You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

...I am currently boycotting Google to see exactly how much I know (or not) with a view to sueing Kent County Council Educacion Authority for not doing their job properly.

Sorry for picking this up, Hammy, I liked the suing, but I loved the Education.

You couldn't have placed the second typo better if you had tried. We all do them occasionally, but that's a beaut. ;)

I don't believe it happened. Perhaps someone can tell me how they operated those Cameras in those space suits? I've seen the Cameras that they were supposed to have used and there's no way they could be operated by someone in a spacesuit. The other thing is that all the pictures are perfectly in frame. A near impossible task given that the Astronauts were unable to use a viewfinder at eyelevel.

Anyway, on a lighter note. This has to be my favourite Moon Landing story...

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" statement but followed it by several remarks, usual com traffic between him, the other astronauts and Mission Control. Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled.

On July 5, 1995 (in Tampa Bay, FL) while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball which landed in the front of his neighbor's bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. & Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex! You want oral sex?! You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

So you don't believe the moon landing happened but completely believe the most apocryphal story in the history of urban myths. Brilliant.

So you don't believe the moon landing happened but completely believe the most apocryphal story in the history of urban myths. Brilliant.

You obviously have a problem understanding what did, or didn't happen, as you seem to think that I said I believed that story. At what point did I say that I believed that story? I simply said it was my favourite Moon landing story. I believe that as much as I believe the moon landings happened. It's quite amusing. That's all.

You obviously have a problem understanding what did, or didn't happen, as you seem to think that I said I believed that story. At what point did I say that I believed that story? I simply said it was my favourite Moon landing story. I believe that as much as I believe the moon landings happened. It's quite amusing. That's all.

if you think it was faked...care to have a bash at explaining this (my points on anothert thread)

it is not a fake..do you not think the russians, who at the time wanted to wipe the yanks off of the face of the earth, who were in the race to get to the moon first would have spilt the beans if it was fake..?

they (along with us) tracked the whole mission using radio telescopes...the radio waves were being tracked from the rocket/shuttle and using the doppler effect it could determin the position within something like 10 meters...

there is no way the russians at the time or even now, would have kept quiet

There are no stars in the pictures because the exposure times of the cameras were far too short. The stars are simply too faint to show up. This is something that can easily tested back on Earth; set a manual camera for a daylight exposure and take a picture of the night sky. The Moon would show up, but stars wouldn't.

The astronauts didn't report seeing stars from the surface because their eyes were adjusted to the bright surface of the Moon. In bright light, the iris of the eye contracts to limit the amount of light that goes into the eye. This severely limits the ability of the eye to simultaneously see bright objects - like the lunar surface - and faint objects, like stars. So they couldn't see stars while on the Moon's surface, and for good reason.

If you don't believe this, wait for a clear night. Go stand under a bright streetlight, and look up. Your eyes will adjust to the brightness of the light and, in doing so, prevent you from seeing stars. The astronauts reported seeing stars when they were away from bright light, especially when on the night side of the Moon.

This could go on forever, and to be perfectly honest I can't be arsed. You, like many others think it happened. I, like others do not. I've heard both sides of the story over the years and have drawn my conclusions from that.

Now, about that guy whith the white beard and the red suit. You say he comes once a year, and he enters your house via the chimney...

Absolute rubbish! I one saw a plastic flower in a plant pot that danced when you played music. If that's not the most amazing thaing that 'Man' has achieved then I don't know what is?

Absolute rubbish! I one saw a plastic flower in a plant pot that danced when you played music. If that's not the most amazing thaing that 'Man' has achieved then I don't know what is?

And the technology for said 'dancing flower' was developed on the moon, so there.

Jilly, do you still have your flower? :D

This could go on forever, and to be perfectly honest I can't be arsed. You, like many others think it happened. I, like others do not. I've heard both sides of the story over the years and have drawn my conclusions from that.

Now, about that guy whith the white beard and the red suit. You say he comes once a year, and he enters your house via the chimney...

the russians sydney...what about the russians

Oh no, there is a difference, Sidney. You think it didn't happen. We know it did. Get the idea..? ;)

• 11 months later...
How was the camera put into

position before armstrong came down the steps, it seems away from the craft, there again I was only 9 when it happened and have not studied the film since.Isnt there alos a radiation belt between the earth and moon that would kill humans? The Van something belt

That is Buzz Aldrin coming down the steps - photographed by Armstrong. The picture of Armstrong stepping off the LEM was photographed by a TV camera attached to the LEM.

That is Buzz Aldrin coming down the steps - photographed by Armstrong. The picture of Armstrong stepping off the LEM was photographed by a TV camera attached to the LEM.

Good boy. :)

Most famous person I have ever met in person, seemed nice.

I was helping someone with their kiddies homework a while back and it was about the moon landing.

What we did was print out the wiki page about Buzz and then the one about Neil Armstrong. The slant of his homework was 'what is the difference between being first man to walk on the moon and being the second man to walk on the moon?'

Answer about 10 pages. He got an A.

• 9 months later...

Pot Noodle.