P'Boro 1 V 3 Saints Post Match Chat!!

SOTONS EAST SIDE

Well done to Reading. They have been on a fantastic run including maximum points away to us and West Ham. If they become Champions, which I am sure they will it will be deserved. Cannot see them easing off. Winning breeds confidence and they will need that in the Premier.

As for us, who really cares if we finish second. The prize is Premiership football and all that goes with it. Losing to Reading when we looked the better side could have knocked our confidence but yet again this side believe in themselves and remind me very much of the way Norwich have approached the game for the last few seasons.

We will need to strengthen but not too much. Norwich way should be our model although we may have a little more to spend than them so can bring in a better quality of player. A new goalkeeper with Davis acting as reserve and giving him a chance to move into coaching and a midfield box to box man. Cork should have been that man but I am not sure he is good enough for Premier. Surman is doing that well for Norwich. He will not come back but someone with his quality but better.

This is not just about the team nor the Manager. This is about the whole ethos of Southampton Football Club.

Strange thing about internet footy. When the second goal went in I was taking a bucket pee in the garage. I had to cut it short to get to the laptop to "cheer". What kind of idiot am I!? Somehow, I just have to be heard cheering? The internetz is nutz. Or at least, I am.

I've just (finally) seen the scores. I'm so overwhelmed the way it worked out last night, I've just used up one of those little packs of tissues.

Fantastic results. Fantastic performance, it sounds like, from our lads. Very pleased for Billy, if he can get a bit fitter and get a bit more focused, you have to say he could have a rosy future with us in the PL. Also pleased to hear that several other players, most notably Hammond, stood up and did their bit.

So, one win away. Would be fantastic to do it on Saturday, so all of you that have been through thick-and-thin with the team this season can have a f**king good party against Coventry - you guys deserve it as much as the players.

Very, very touched to hear someone wished me well on Solent; wasnt expecting that. I know I infuriate some of you but its great to realise that not only do we all bleed red-and-white, but that we can step back and recognise that we are all on the same side.

I would love to be watching us earning promotion against Middlesbrough on TV over here on Saturday evening, just a pity I cant have a drink to celebrate..

I really enjoyed that last night. After the mistakes against Reading I was hoping for a response & boy did we get it. Hammond was poo on Friday, but came roaring back last night & played really well.

Sharp is starting to look fit. He was running the channel all night. He may not always win the ball, but it give us an outlet.

Couple of very good saves from KD.

One point Saints fans. Can we stop with the fish f u c k e r songs. Who cares? It's all about Saints not the blue few up the road.

I think we are going up on Saturday at Boro!!

Edited by corky morris

I've just (finally) seen the scores. I'm so overwhelmed the way it worked out last night, I've just used up one of those little packs of tissues.

Fantastic results. Fantastic performance, it sounds like, from our lads. Very pleased for Billy, if he can get a bit fitter and get a bit more focused, you have to say he could have a rosy future with us in the PL. Also pleased to hear that several other players, most notably Hammond, stood up and did their bit.

So, one win away. Would be fantastic to do it on Saturday, so all of you that have been through thick-and-thin with the team this season can have a f**king good party against Coventry - you guys deserve it as much as the players.

Very, very touched to hear someone wished me well on Solent; wasnt expecting that. I know I infuriate some of you but its great to realise that not only do we all bleed red-and-white, but that we can step back and recognise that we are all on the same side.

I would love to be watching us earning promotion against Middlesbrough on TV over here on Saturday evening, just a pity I cant have a drink to celebrate..

Agree that the people at St. Mary's deserve a HUGE party against Coventry, not 90 minutes of radio listening and butt clenching. "See" you Saturday when we finish the job at Riverside! :)

I didn't get in until 3am so I'm a bit sleepy.

But that league table looks mighty fine this morning!

A thoroughly professional job last night, in total control, nerve-wracking to watch, but this side is playing well enough to reclaim the title if Reading don't deal with Birmingham.

IF we can finish the job on Saturday it will be an astonishing achievement by Markus, Nicola, Nige and the rest of the staff.

To turn the business and the club around in such a short space of time would be remarkable.

And as a nice little side order, I can see Bristol City relegating pompey the same day.

The world is a much happier place than it was last weekend. :)

Well done to Reading. They have been on a fantastic run including maximum points away to us and West Ham. If they become Champions, which I am sure they will it will be deserved. Cannot see them easing off. Winning breeds confidence and they will need that in the Premier.

As for us, who really cares if we finish second. The prize is Premiership football and all that goes with it. Losing to Reading when we looked the better side could have knocked our confidence but yet again this side believe in themselves and remind me very much of the way Norwich have approached the game for the last few seasons.

We will need to strengthen but not too much. Norwich way should be our model although we may have a little more to spend than them so can bring in a better quality of player. A new goalkeeper with Davis acting as reserve and giving him a chance to move into coaching and a midfield box to box man. Cork should have been that man but I am not sure he is good enough for Premier. Surman is doing that well for Norwich. He will not come back but someone with his quality but better.

This is not just about the team nor the Manager. This is about the whole ethos of Southampton Football Club.

I do I don't understand why people say this surely we all want saints to win stuff? I couldn't care less about being in the PL but I really wanted saints to be champions.

Our two center mids sit to allow the wingers and front two more freedom. The box to box midfielder you talk about would envisage a change to a successful formation. I doubt many have a better engine than Cork in any event..... he was everywhere once again last night.

Fair play to you Alps, well said :toppa:

Up at 4:45am to follow the game, and far too nervous to come on here. Followed it on the mobile from behind the sofa, then straight out the door to work at FT, just back now. Couldn't sleep last night. Absolutely awesome morning with the way the results went. Nearly there now - hopefully get it over the line with a win at Boro, which would keep the title on the boil too. Fantastic performance at Posh given the context. Delighted.

I do I don't understand why people say this surely we all want saints to win stuff? I couldn't care less about being in the PL but I really wanted saints to be champions.

As with anything in life, the more something is wanted the greater value goes alongside that commodity. If you were to ask any Championship club at the beginning of the season "would you take second place now or prefer to fight it out for the opportunity of the title?" the answer would be over whelming. So your value scale is totally out of kilter with the majority where the title has little significance and not even viewed as a prize in many cases.

I am not even sure if you get a prize for winning the Championship, where the real prize is promotion to the Premier and £100M+ in future revenue automatically from finishing the 21st or 22nd best club in the land.

As with anything in life, the more something is wanted the greater value goes alongside that commodity. If you were to ask any Championship club at the beginning of the season "would you take second place now or prefer to fight it out for the opportunity of the title?" the answer would be over whelming. So your value scale is totally out of kilter with the majority where the title has little significance and not even viewed as a prize in many cases.

I am not even sure if you get a prize for winning the Championship, where the real prize is promotion to the Premier and £100M+ in future revenue automatically from finishing the 21st or 22nd best club in the land.

I spoke with the Chairman & Chief Executive of another large sporting club on Sunday who is also a Saints supporter and he felt the same way as me. It is not about being top other than for an ego trip, it is about getting to the Premier. Playoffs are a lottery. 2nd is as good as first in that context.

I spoke with the Chairman & Chief Executive of another large sporting club on Sunday who is also a Saints supporter and he felt the same way as me. It is not about being top other than for an ego trip, it is about getting to the Premier. Playoffs are a lottery. 2nd is as good as first in that context.

I agree...although I will absolutely love it if we win it still...should we don't and have to put up with being 2nd...losing out on the top spot will bother me for about 30 seconds as I stumble over advertisement boards onto the pitch next weekend

I totally get why clubs want the PL I'm just not sure as a football fan I get much out of it (high ticket prices, stupid kick off times and a inferior matchday experince aside)....and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in wanting saints to win stuff

I agree...although I will absolutely love it if we win it still...should we don't and have to put up with being 2nd...losing out on the top spot will bother me for about 30 seconds as I stumble over advertisement boards onto the pitch next weekend

30 seconds to get over an advertisement board? YOU FAT BASTARD

Does anyone else think they should scrap the playoffs and just allow top 3?

I would make the rule more dynamic

Top 3 promoted if the gap between 3rd and 4th is more than, say 3 wins (9pts), otherwise top 2 auto and play-offs.

I feel quite sorry for West Ham (assuming a last minute catastrophe for us).

haha Adrian Durham is very bitter

saying we are just average but with lambert

and that the ref was scared to give anything against us.

lambert was not even the best player on the pitch yesterday

and lambert was battered all game and got almost nothing from the ref

brilliant

brilliant

Adrian Durham deserves only to be ignored. Anything more than that and he has fulfilled his duty, and I wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction.

brilliant

What a muppet he is.

So bitter, but face the facts mr Durham, your team have not been consistent enough over the course of the season. You slipped out of the top 2 when the pressure told.

Ourselves and Reading stuck to our guns and remained consistent, therefore we're the better teams. You can spend all the money on big stars, but nothing can beat a team - which is what ourselves and Reading have.

Deservedly promoted, WHU will deservedly fail.

What a muppet he is.

So bitter, but face the facts mr Durham, your team have not been consistent enough over the course of the season. You slipped out of the top 2 when the pressure told.

Ourselves and Reading stuck to our guns and remained consistent, therefore we're the better teams. You can spend all the money on big stars, but nothing can beat a team - which is what ourselves and Reading have.

Deservedly promoted, WHU will deservedly fail.

durham is a posh fan

the Moose is the hammer

Adrian Durham deserves only to be ignored. Anything more than that and he has fulfilled his duty, and I wouldn't want to give him the satisfaction.

Totally agree - he is, without doubt, one of the worst radio presenters that it has been my misfortune to listen to - shocking presenter.

ah ok, that can go to Moose then.

I wonder what that makes his beloved Posh team, if we still thump them but Lambert doesn't score. Boy they must be dross.

yeah they were pretty poor

however, at times they knocked it about quite nicely with out really threatening....that did change when McCann came on..he immediately made them more dangerous

how lambert never got 10 more free kicks is beyond me....their CB was all over him constantly...

thought they were a pretty friendly club..I was stuck where to park and one of the stewards sorted me out right outside the ground and they never really caused a stir what so ever with our fans..

walking out, was talking to a big group of their fans and they were pretty honest with defeat and not bitter at all..just said we were far too good for them and hope we went up as we play football the right way

they were genuinely happy they stayed up..which is a great achievement for them

Great result by Saints - let's win the last two!

I am starting to serriosuly dislike Reading and their arrogance - apart from biscuits what has Reading ever done for the world?

John I thought you would know the answer to that one .. John Bunyan was imprisoned in Reading jail....and much later Stacey Keech !!b

John I thought you would know the answer to that one .. John Bunyan was imprisoned in Reading jail....and much later Stacey Keech !!b

Not to mention Oscar Wilde who on his release from that establishment wrote the Ballad of Reading Gaol.

In Reading Gaol by Reading Town

there lies a pit of shame

now would he be a meaning Elm Park by that?

Edited by Window Cleaner

Alpine I came back from Vienna just to be at the game last night. My Sixth away game this season and all of them wins!

I just had to be there.

Simply buzzing today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder if I travelled the furthest to be at the game?

Edited by Andy Durman