How many other clubs would have.......

Thedelldays

appointed Jan..?

seriously?

no one in the prem...cant see any other CCC club not even a league 1 club...

even thinking a bit more....cant see anyone in england appointing him at all..

:rolleyes:

I agree with you, but we've dug our hole and now we are forced to lie in it.

How many clubs would have put up with Lowe again?

Only Lowe could come up with an idea of appointing two unknown and untried Dutchmen.

I think Saints fans have had more than enough,but instead of the protests of last time,people are just staying away and seem to be resigned to failure.

After all we can protest as much as we want and it wont make much difference,where as if fans stay away,then at least they are making a statement of sorts against whats happening.

I agree with you, but we've dug our hole and now we are forced to lie in it.

But the problem is that fewer and fewer people are lying in the bed that Lowe made.

Now of course you can blame the fans for not turning up, but ultimately this experiment is having a detrimental effect on attendances.

appointed Jan..?

seriously?

Can I also add how may clubs would also loan out their top goalscorers for the past 2 seasons when the ones they have can't hit a cows arse with a banjo!

Use lack of money as an excuse yet bring in 5 loanees who cannot get near the side.

Can I also add how may clubs would also loan out their top goalscorers for the past 2 seasons when the ones they have can't hit a cows arse with a banjo!

Use lack of money as an excuse yet bring in 5 loanees who cannot get near the side.

thats unfair on lallana

Or Hoddle when he was a washed out weirdo....

I think JP is a good coach.

Unfortunately in England football teams need to be run by Managers working with good coaches

UP is our guru. He led the "worried about the cv" campaign

I actually think JP could be a good coach/manager for us, but as I said at the time of his appointment, Lowe took a heck of a lot of gambles all at the same time, for whatever reasons, untried manager with untried kids just seemed one leap of faith too many....

Unfortunately in England football teams need to be run by Managers working with good coaches

I actually think JP could be a good coach/manager for us, but as I said at the time of his appointment, Lowe took a heck of a lot of gambles all at the same time, for whatever reasons, untried manager with untried kids just seemed one leap of faith too many....

Not being funny, but how do you know JP is a good coach?

JP is probably a good youth coach. That's his level. I'd be quite happy with him coaching the youngsters, but not managing the first team. The fact that the first team is mainly the youngsters is the reason why the wheels have fallen off. It's just plain barmy.

Correct Phil, look at that shower of shîte up Lunnun way.

Ramos is a good coach, couldn't do anything with them, spiv Harry steps in,

talks to them for 30 seconds in a way they can understand,no doubt using phrases like "up for it" and "'it im ard" and they win 3 out of 4 and draw the other one.

English football is a law unto itself,filled with beer swilling, lap dancing,stay out chavs.You don't learn to deal with that on European UEFA courses;

Only Lowe could come up with an idea of appointing two unknown and untried Dutchmen.

I think Saints fans have had more than enough,but instead of the protests of last time,people are just staying away and seem to be resigned to failure.

After all we can protest as much as we want and it wont make much difference,where as if fans stay away,then at least they are making a statement of sorts against whats happening.

The problem has ALWAYS been that the majority of Saints FANS would not have had Lowe back.

His return was down to the Devil's Alliance that Judas Wilde forged, thereby creating a shift in the Share Balance of Power

TWO things amaze me as regards Wilde :-

1) How he could go against ALL the rheteric he gave to US Supporters about never allowing Lowe back

2) How he has ( so far) not got cold feet, and bailed out

The "Worm" turned once ...... surely it can't be long before he does it again ???

I do not know that JP is a good coach....

I THINK he is a good coach...

Equally pedantic I know, but as an example, I THINK NP is going to become a very good manager. I don't know it yet and neither does anyone else.

Oh and before you class me in the wrong box, I have said that I think JP needs a mentor, a wise experienced head. I also haven't gone fully in support for our structure.

A good coach can work for a good manager. Burley's best spell with us co-incided with an assistant manager/coach working alongside him - Glyn Snodin.......

Then we had Jason Dodd...

On that basis I think Snodin was a better coach than Dodd, but I have no way of KNOWING

Interesting post and from the other Dutch set ups in the UK, the answer on that one is pretty clear. But realistically, what are the objectives for this season? From everything I saw last season, just about avoiding relegation is the only realistic target. If we bring on the youth at the same time we will have a far better chance next season, depending upon how many we can keep. Lowe has been down this road before with the double Dutch and backed out at the last minute, so I am pretty sure he was aware of the risks. Additionally both he and Wilde must know how much shiete we are in and that would have been the over riding factor.

Interesting post and from the other Dutch set ups in the UK, the answer on that one is pretty clear. But realistically, what are the objectives for this season? From everything I saw last season, just about avoiding relegation is the only realistic target. If we bring on the youth at the same time we will have a far better chance next season, depending upon how many we can keep. Lowe has been down this road before with the double Dutch and backed out at the last minute, so I am pretty sure he was aware of the risks. Additionally both he and Wilde must know how much shiete we are in and that would have been the over riding factor.

Avoiding relegation is our only concern this season, we just about did it last season with a player/coach salary mass amounting to just over 12million. If we can do the same this season for only 6.5 million well all those involved will have done a f**king fantastic job. Unfortunately the quality of the football will be at best inconsistent and at worst what the french call "minable".

Trouble is when January comes, Morgan and Surman will probably be moving on and that's the heart of our midfield. In fact those are the only 2 players, along with davis, that we really need to keep. All the rest can go and we won't even notice the difference.Still Saga will be coming back, maybe John as well, the fans will be pleased.

I would probably agree with teh majority more, if there was at least an acknowledgement, that just because something fails does not make it wrong to try. I think its perfectly valid to accept that the reasons for Lowes decisions are NOT purely footballing based. I think he would probably have tried this idea even if it were NOT for financial reasons - he has always fancied himself as someone who could/should/would be able to 'revolutionise' the coaching and management structure of the English game - be it SCW and the 'science' or his ideas on youth development and DOF/Head coach set up.

I believe he has always fancied himself as the man to bring A Amsterdam model to Saints and believe thats why he wanted Hoddle back before, someone who was happy coaching and developing youth rather than managing by cheque book - Lowes likes to control the purse strings as we all know.

Now my dilemma is this. If I take Lowe completely out of the equation, and take a club of our size in the prem, steady mid table and breaking even, what does one do to maintatin that? The current crop due to the ever spiralling cost of players and wgaes seem to be borrowing money and increasing debts or rely on the desired sugar daddy - Lowes answer was not to join the debt race and develop our own kids.... Now froma purist logical perspective, that is not a bad way to go - avoid debt and develop talent - trouble is its a long term thing and the moment you stop improving the squad as everyone else is doing (funded usually through debt) you begin to lag behind and eventually panic and relegation - its a very fine line. Thats where Lowe dropped the biggest boll**k IMHO, the failure to continue to provide investment with experienced players whilst the youngsters develop.

I feel kinda sad about it really, because I LIKE the idea. I dislike the way the prem and the Sky millions have driven clubs into the ever increasing need to spend just to stand still, and I have to say irrespective of any pros or cons of Lowe as a chairman, I can see the logic. I can also understand that as fans seeing the theory is one thing, if its fails then it was wrong and its a big mistake so Chairmen carries the can. Whether its right or wrong that as fans we have no patience or are sceptical of new approaches, given that the majority of us are Traditionalists generally (and the media reinforce that that is the only way to go - given that media is full of pundits who themselves are traditionalists etc....), the fact reamisn thats how we are and thats how it is. Failure to ensure your key supporters are shown the ambition we see as our right means any new ideals or strategy which stutters or takes time is doomed to be ridiculed if set up in isolation of the core business of ensuring points on the board.

That is where the board failed - does that mean they should be given the abuse that was handed out? Probably not, but then they are thick enough skinned anyway.

Which brings us to the NOW and another experiment - this time out of financial necessity (yet probably exactly as Lowe has always wanted to see it done) - and we see almost the same pattern emerging - optimists like myself who see the logic hioping not to be let down, whilst secretly acknowledging that the nature of the game is likely to render it very rapidly to the wastebasket of history - there are also many in football who will be happy - those gorging themselves on the money and the new order, dont like upstarts who are threatening the 'way its always been'.

So on to Jan and who would have appointed him? Well from what I have seen, I certainly would recommend him as a coach probably at youth development and resverve level as the style he likes to play (well originally at teh seasons's start anyway) is a positive thing - perhaps the one positive thing we have right now which the desire to see a passing game. He has presented himself with dignity and professionalism and does not deserve to be made the scapegoat for a plan that is not working as well as all involved hoped it would - perhaps naively, perhaps because we had no other choice, but the faith in it has long since evaporated. Sad, but nonetheless true.

I would probably agree with teh majority more, if there was at least an acknowledgement, that just because something fails does not make it wrong to try. I think its perfectly valid to accept that the reasons for Lowes decisions are NOT purely footballing based. I think he would probably have tried this idea even if it were NOT for financial reasons - he has always fancied himself as someone who could/should/would be able to 'revolutionise' the coaching and management structure of the English game - be it SCW and the 'science' or his ideas on youth development and DOF/Head coach set up.

I believe he has always fancied himself as the man to bring A Amsterdam model to Saints and believe thats why he wanted Hoddle back before, someone who was happy coaching and developing youth rather than managing by cheque book - Lowes likes to control the purse strings as we all know.

Now my dilemma is this. If I take Lowe completely out of the equation, and take a club of our size in the prem, steady mid table and breaking even, what does one do to maintatin that? The current crop due to the ever spiralling cost of players and wgaes seem to be borrowing money and increasing debts or rely on the desired sugar daddy - Lowes answer was not to join the debt race and develop our own kids.... Now froma purist logical perspective, that is not a bad way to go - avoid debt and develop talent - trouble is its a long term thing and the moment you stop improving the squad as everyone else is doing (funded usually through debt) you begin to lag behind and eventually panic and relegation - its a very fine line. Thats where Lowe dropped the biggest boll**k IMHO, the failure to continue to provide investment with experienced players whilst the youngsters develop.

I feel kinda sad about it really, because I LIKE the idea. I dislike the way the prem and the Sky millions have driven clubs into the ever increasing need to spend just to stand still, and I have to say irrespective of any pros or cons of Lowe as a chairman, I can see the logic. I can also understand that as fans seeing the theory is one thing, if its fails then it was wrong and its a big mistake so Chairmen carries the can. Whether its right or wrong that as fans we have no patience or are sceptical of new approaches, given that the majority of us are Traditionalists generally (and the media reinforce that that is the only way to go - given that media is full of pundits who themselves are traditionalists etc....), the fact reamisn thats how we are and thats how it is. Failure to ensure your key supporters are shown the ambition we see as our right means any new ideals or strategy which stutters or takes time is doomed to be ridiculed if set up in isolation of the core business of ensuring points on the board.

That is where the board failed - does that mean they should be given the abuse that was handed out? Probably not, but then they are thick enough skinned anyway.

Which brings us to the NOW and another experiment - this time out of financial necessity (yet probably exactly as Lowe has always wanted to see it done) - and we see almost the same pattern emerging - optimists like myself who see the logic hioping not to be let down, whilst secretly acknowledging that the nature of the game is likely to render it very rapidly to the wastebasket of history - there are also many in football who will be happy - those gorging themselves on the money and the new order, dont like upstarts who are threatening the 'way its always been'.

So on to Jan and who would have appointed him? Well from what I have seen, I certainly would recommend him as a coach probably at youth development and resverve level as the style he likes to play (well originally at teh seasons's start anyway) is a positive thing - perhaps the one positive thing we have right now which the desire to see a passing game. He has presented himself with dignity and professionalism and does not deserve to be made the scapegoat for a plan that is not working as well as all involved hoped it would - perhaps naively, perhaps because we had no other choice, but the faith in it has long since evaporated. Sad, but nonetheless true.

Well put FC..

What we need now is some way to give us back Faith, Hope and a heck of a lot of Charity...

I don´t understand why people think that JP has something to give as far as coaching is involved.

yes, nice guy and all that, but he has done nothing to prove to me that he can coach at this level. Ok, you might well say that he is working under terrible restraints and is having to play inexperienced kids, but that was the exact reason why he was brought in was'nt it?

I feel that there are some promising kids in our side but the results tell a different picture. Lone striker up front at a home game, is that the sign of good coaching? Constant changing of player positions and even playing guys out of position. What on earth gives anyone the idea that he is or could be a good coach?

still not sure, get good feeling about him from the way he supports his players and the style of football - BUT there are clear problems to.

As we have never had such a wholesale movement out of players it is hard to say how much of performance is not having the quality and how much is him.

Remember we were lower than this a game to go last season with Ostlund, JW, Vignal, Makin, Licka, II, Safri, Rasiak, Saga, John

still not sure, get good feeling about him from the way he supports his players and the style of football - BUT there are clear problems to.

As we have never had such a wholesale movement out of players it is hard to say how much of performance is not having the quality and how much is him.

Remember we were lower than this a game to go last season with Ostlund, JW, Vignal, Makin, Licka, II, Safri, Rasiak, Saga, John

True its easy to forget that - and a shiocking fact when you think about iot - we had all this 'experience', yet stll in the same boat!

I would probably agree with teh majority more' date=' if there was at least an acknowledgement, that just because something fails does not make it wrong to try. [/quote']

In this case it was wrong to experiment IMO, relegation will mean certain administration, and in the current climate maybe liquidation - who knows?

A reckless gamble IMO - there are no excuses. Having a good manager has always been the best way to make the most of limited resources.

appointed Jan..?

seriously?

Perhaps the clubs with insurmountable levels of debt?

I still can't believe we didn't get Scolari while he was available.

Perhaps the clubs with insurmountable levels of debt?

I still can't believe we didn't get Scolari while he was available.

lol

i guess we are the club saddled with the most debt and had no choice but to appoint a no mar from a part time league in holland...i guess we are that skint we were given schneiderlin and all the loanees cost nothing too..

utter bullsh*t stay away fans are making everything WORSE, we're having to sell more players as gate recipts are down.... this also leading to lack of sales of food, at least you guys showing up and singing rupert lowe out all match would give the club some much needed money... instead of being sulky whiney tw*ts who feel they have the right to complain but can't even be bothered to get off your arses to go watch YOUR team play

Every other club in the country is in debt, not too many taking crazy gambles like Saints though.

I bet we're about the only club in the land who's income was entirely spent before we paid a single player a single pound though.

When you think about this and it's consequences, you will have grasped the truely catastrophic situation in which we found ourselves and understand why things are as they are.

Understanding this simple fact is the key, until you do ,well then you'll carry on moaning about loans and not having "stars" and big name managers.

appointed Jan..?

seriously?

nonsense...........what about who would have appointed Mcmenemy when we did,and the seriously tainted hoddle?,WGS after he took coventry down,alan ball only had minimal experience and that is just SFC.

what about many numerous clubs in the league.....keane at sunderland,southgate at boro,ince at blackburn all inexperienced managers,they have to start somewhere.

the only thing i can say about the JP situation is that we were not really in a position for experiments,but that could also be said about pearson,he was an experiment as well.

we needed a proven manager when we employed pearson and we didnt get it,we also needed one when we employed JP and we didnt get it,now i fear it is too late.

appointed Jan..?

seriously?

That in itself is of no significance. Lowe has made good unexpected choices (Jones, Hoddle,Strachan) as well as bad ones. You could only truly judge JP as a manager if he was given a balanced team to work with. (Balanced in terms of Age and experience as well as youth and enthusiasm.) Given what he has to work with I cannot condemn him as a mistake. Is there anyone else who could a do a better job with the youngsters? Perhaps - but could somebody name him - and it would still be speculation.

I do not know that JP is a good coach....

I THINK he is a good coach...

Equally pedantic I know, but as an example, I THINK NP is going to become a very good manager. I don't know it yet and neither does anyone else.

Oh and before you class me in the wrong box, I have said that I think JP needs a mentor, a wise experienced head. I also haven't gone fully in support for our structure.

A good coach can work for a good manager. Burley's best spell with us co-incided with an assistant manager/coach working alongside him - Glyn Snodin.......

Then we had Jason Dodd...

On that basis I think Snodin was a better coach than Dodd, but I have no way of KNOWING

Nice to see a post from someone who does not believe that their opinion is the intractable truth.

i fail to see how appointing Jan is on the same level as taking a gamble on...

WGS - years of prem experience

Hoddle - Ex england manager

and others who have been involved in english football

appointing Jan was/is a bigger risk than wiggles and gray

ffs

Take into account his experience and knowledge of the CCC and I don't think any club would go for it. Take into account our financial hole and all of a sudden it starts to look attractive.

Any other manager who came in would have to put up with all the senior players on a decent wage disappearing or the remote possibility of commanding a fee. Failure to move on any of them and you are then forced into selling off any of the youth that shows the slightest promise. There are two ways of going about this, fit the youth in and about what ever older pro's you can get on a free or fit some older pro's around the youth. Now seeing as the double Dutch are used to a very similar system that the youth have been brought up on, there is logic there.

But why the sudden concern? Why not complain when we were heading into this mess at a rate of knots, when we would have had other options open to us.

I bet we're about the only club in the land who's income was entirely spent before we paid a single player a single pound though.

When you think about this and it's consequences, you will have grasped the truely catastrophic situation in which we found ourselves and understand why things are as they are.

Understanding this simple fact is the key, until you do ,well then you'll carry on moaning about loans and not having "stars" and big name managers.

Sorry, what is this simple fact?

We're in the financial poo, but so are huge numbers of other clubs, many of which are worse off than we are.

Some Saints fans need to get over the "simple fact" that we are not unique.

I'd like to see you telling, say, a Luton fan how our "truly catastrophic situation" (I mean pur-lease) is so much worse than theirs.

I love this forum.

appointed Jan..?

seriously?

i think the the same was said of arsene wenger ,when he was appointed at arsenal so who cares has long has he can do the job

I don´t understand why people think that JP has something to give as far as coaching is involved.

yes, nice guy and all that, but he has done nothing to prove to me that he can coach at this level. Ok, you might well say that he is working under terrible restraints and is having to play inexperienced kids, but that was the exact reason why he was brought in was'nt it?

I feel that there are some promising kids in our side but the results tell a different picture. Lone striker up front at a home game, is that the sign of good coaching? Constant changing of player positions and even playing guys out of position. What on earth gives anyone the idea that he is or could be a good coach?

Agree. It becomes clearer with each match that JP is not the man for the job and never was, The fans don't believe in him and the players certainly don't, he is not the long term answer to are problems, the question is who is? i thought it was pearson but our wise DOF knew better

Lowe interferes with the managers job always has always will, it's why WGS left truth be told.

i think the the same was said of arsene wenger ,when he was appointed at arsenal so who cares has long has he can do the job

Do yourself a favour and read Wenger's record before he went to Arsenal and then bone up on JP's managerial record and then have the humility to admit that you're talking out of your posterior orifice.

And anyway, the reason that we care is because JP cannot do the job.

Do yourself a favour and read Wenger's record before he went to Arsenal and then bone up on JP's managerial record and then have the humility to admit that you're talking out of your posterior orifice.

And anyway, the reason that we care is because JP cannot do the job.

yes but when wenger came to england he was derided coaching in japan etc ,you do not know if jan is a good or bad coach and what he had to work with at these clubs.

yes but when wenger came to england he was derided coaching in japan etc ,you do not know if jan is a good or bad coach and what he had to work with at these clubs.

When Wenger joined the arse he was relatively unknown in English football but was known to the rest of europe. Apparently he turned down approaches by Bayern Munich and the French national team before he chose Arsenal.

As far as JP is concerned, If I remember correctly, the Dutch fans did not rate him much either. You can hardly compare his previous to that of Wenger´s.

When Wenger joined the arse he was relatively unknown in English football but was known to the rest of europe. Apparently he turned down approaches by Bayern Munich and the French national team before he chose Arsenal.

As far as JP is concerned, If I remember correctly, the Dutch fans did not rate him much either. You can hardly compare his previous to that of Wenger´s.

Agreed completely.

Comparing the arrival of JP here to Wenger at Arsenal wasn't exactly the irrefutable argument you thought, was it Solentstars? I would also assume that had Wenger produced the results that JP has, he would have been replaced long ago. The old adage that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys still holds firm.