Brian McDermott being disrespectful

jasoneuelllfanclub

If football were sex... I kinda see Reading as the missionary position with a long standing partner - cant argue that its good' date=' effective and gets the job done and enjoyable. Saints are more like the Karma sutra - do it any which way you can, exciting and adventurous, much more enjoyable, but not every position is that comfortable but you gotta try it at least one.[/quote']I think I might try this analogy when arguing the toss with the locals tonight.

If we go up, I would like to bet we finish higher than them next year.

Thhink that will depend an whether their new set of Ruskies get the nod and spend like tehre is no tomorrow or not... can see it now, the 2014/15 Reading takeover thread - as we alll point out no one has learned anything form the the Potsmouth Saga....

He's not being disrespectful at all. He's right.

After 7 games:

1 - Saints - 18 pts

13 - Reading - 7 pts

Now:

1 - Reading - 88 pts

2 - Saints - 85 pts

They've won 14 more points than us since then. He's not saying the season only started after 7 games, he's merely pointing out that they've gone on a bloody good run since then. He's not saying they've won the league yet- of course he knows they haven't. He's just indirectly stating that they got off to a slow start to the season, but have some back well since then, and are now top of the league...which suggests over the course of the season (so far) they have been best. I'm a firm believer that the table never lies.

I'm sure when we went on our amazing run at the end of last season Nigel said something along the lines of we'd been best since Christmas. Which we were. We were still runners up to Brighton though.

Anyway, lets not get upset about it. We're not up yet. They are. But we've still got a lot of hard work to do, and can still have a chance to prove to ourselves that we are better than them if we win our next two games.

Glad someone posted the stats but I took his "since the 7th game" comment to mean that after the 6th game they've been better.

So if you look at the stats after 6 games it's

2 - Saints - 15pts

23 - Reading - 3 pts

From McDermott's perspective they've been a promotion, 15 points (5 wins) and a 3-1 victory away at their promotion rivals better than us since their 7th game.

Does that make them the best team by a long, long way?

I don't know. Do we think that we are better than Blackpool or Cardiff (14 points behind us) by a long, long way?

Originally I thought the long, long way term was over the top. But I can see where he's coming from, it just doesn't feel right to hear that given the great season we've had.

Glad someone posted the stats but I took his "since the 7th game" comment to mean that after the 6th game they've been better.

2 - Saints - 15pts

23 - Reading - 3 pts

From McDermott's perspective they've been a promotion, 15 points (5 wins) and a 3-1 victory away at their promotion rivals better than us since their 7th game.

I don't know. Do we think that we are better than Blackpool or Cardiff (14 points behind us) by a long, long way?

Originally I thought the long, long way term was over the top. But I can see where he's coming from, it just doesn't feel right to hear that given the great season we've had.

Classic case of where the facts support his claim, but not sure it was 'diplomatic' and either way, we all know that judging the quality of a side is a subjective thing and depends on the criteria - he has chosen points scored in that period, and he''s not wrong, but naturally we saints fans lok at other criteria in which we believe we are better; more entertaining, create more chances, score more golas etc... swings and roundabouts - but ultimately the table is based on points.

So for me, given all they have achieved and the excellent form they have shown, not really sure it was necessary as its the kind of comment, which as we have seen, tends to wind up folk if the contect is wrong... even if we were to win the final day, can see many 'pundits suggesting they had taken their foot off the gas anyway' - they deserve their spot in the limelight, fantastic achievement, but must admit that I find it odd that no one in the media mentioned that their 'new owners' have yet to passteh FAPPT.... and that the delays are due to the 'funding' source not being completely transparent.... where have we seen that before...

As a Reading supporter, I would first and foremost like to wish the Saints all the very best and I sincerely hope you go up with us - and that West Ham blow it in the playoffs, but that's another story. If it helps you to know where I am coming from, my brother-in-law was on the books at Saints a fair few years ago now, but he never quite made the grade, mainly due to a knee injury. Please don't ask me his name, no-one will know him and I wouldn't embarrass him by naming him!

As far as Mr McDermott goes, I am humbled to see a lot of replies from fair-minded Saints in defence of the slating he received in the opening post and saddened at the odd irrationally stupid comment dotted throughout the replies. Brian is a thoughtful man of the highest integrity and is not and never has been "disrespectful" to any other club. You will note he did not name Southampton - or any other club - in his response and therefore, those of you who have taken offence at his "slight" are over-reacting badly, probably due to the nerves you may still be feeling about going up. I repeat again, I would like to see you go up - AND YOU WILL.

There is no doubt that you have been consistently the best team over the ENTIRE season, for which I congratulate you, especially as you only came up last season and have maintained that momentum all season long. However, the run we have been on, particularly since the end of January, deserves its own reward, which we have now gained. I would be thrilled to win the title, but frankly, that would be a bonus and if we don't, then there is only one team that deserves it and that is Southampton FC.

See you in the Premiership.

As a Reading supporter, I would first and foremost like to wish the Saints all the very best and I sincerely hope you go up with us - and that West Ham blow it in the playoffs, but that's another story. If it helps you to know where I am coming from, my brother-in-law was on the books at Saints a fair few years ago now, but he never quite made the grade, mainly due to a knee injury. Please don't ask me his name, no-one will know him and I wouldn't embarrass him by naming him!

As far as Mr McDermott goes, I am humbled to see a lot of replies from fair-minded Saints in defence of the slating he received in the opening post and saddened at the odd irrationally stupid comment dotted throughout the replies. Brian is a thoughtful man of the highest integrity and is not and never has been "disrespectful" to any other club. You will note he did not name Southampton - or any other club - in his response and therefore, those of you who have taken offence at his "slight" are over-reacting badly, probably due to the nerves you may still be feeling about going up. I repeat again, I would like to see you go up - AND YOU WILL.

There is no doubt that you have been consistently the best team over the ENTIRE season, for which I congratulate you, especially as you only came up last season and have maintained that momentum all season long. However, the run we have been on, particularly since the end of January, deserves its own reward, which we have now gained. I would be thrilled to win the title, but frankly, that would be a bonus and if we don't, then there is only one team that deserves it and that is Southampton FC.

What end are you going in when you play Chelsea next season?

Nice post, and respect - I dont think anyone doubts that what Reading have achieved is a fantastic run and well deserved promotion, and yes we can all be a little sensitive about these things - hopefully you will take the 'missionary position' joke as it was intended - I think the reponse to Mcdermotts quote is perhaps slightly more negative than would be expected because its seemed so out of character - asyou point out, most on here would agree he has been terrific, humble and calm and a refreshing change from the majority. Well done and good luck in the prem.

Still be interested to know what your fans think about the potential new owners - there is some 'interesting' backgorund to the family floating around - cant comment on its accuracy, but given all that has happened down the road form us, the issue of transparency of any funding, does raise a few questions?

Thanks for the well-thought out response.

I'm 48 years old and first watched Reading in 1967. I don't have a second club, sorry to disappoint you.

Ahh, so there are one or two.

I like McDermot and all the ones on here whinging about him being disrepectful are hysterical tarts. 15 wins out of 17 and 4 points against us say you have been by far the best team, certainly since christmas anyway.

What they've acheived after missing out in the playoffs and then starting this season badly has been amazing, similar to what we acheived last season but in a more competitive league. He has every right to be shouting about it.

Fair enough, but like I said above, seemed a bit out of character and was always likely to wind up a few, and I include myself in that - although have mellowed on the issue since. Given where Reading sit in the table right now, and the run they have been on to achieve that, maybe just thought that this would have done all the talking necessary. Anyway, has no real impact and he derserves the plaudits.

Must admit, if we get promoted, I wont give a monkeys!

Precisely. Once the season is over everything goes into the past and can be utterly disregarded in terms of results.

The value of the championship is purely instrumental; promotion to the Premier League.

In terms of the Russians, I have to say I am still nervous about them. I don't ever want to see Skategate happening to us.

The Football League were due to complete their investigations any day now, but, of course, going up means the Premier League now want their own examination of the situation and rightly so. I have to admit the Chelsea/Man City situation of simply buying your way to glory has always bothered me and I had hoped we might be invested in by someone other than the Mafiaski, but as long as everything comes out clean-smelling, then I've got to be happy. You'll never see me gracelessly waving wads of tenners at other fans, though. I hope we have enough class to rise above that.

In terms of the Russians, I have to say I am still nervous about them. I don't ever want to see Skategate happening to us.

The Football League were due to complete their investigations any day now, but, of course, going up means the Premier League now want their own examination of the situation and rightly so. I have to admit the Chelsea/Man City situation of simply buying your way to glory has always bothered me and I had hoped we might be invested in by someone other than the Mafiaski, but as long as everything comes out clean-smelling, then I've got to be happy. You'll never see me gracelessly waving wads of tenners at other fans, though. I hope we have enough class to rise above that.

don't be so excited

Boris Zingarevich

Deputy Director General of Ilim Group

He has been waging commercial wars for years

Surname: Zingarevich

Name: Boris

Fathername: Gennadievich

Position: Deputy Director General of Ilim Group

Biography:

Date of Birth: 08 July 1959.

Place of Birth: Sebezh (Pskov region).

1981: Graduated from the Leningrad Technological Institute of Pulp and Paper Industry (specialty: machines and apparatus of PPI)

1991-1992: "Tekhnoferm”, the CEO

1985-1991: Leningrad carton factory, Master of cardboard shop, Production Manager

1981-1985: Kondopozhsky PPM, mechanic

Since 1992 - Deputy Director General of Ilim

Source: www.forbesrussia.ru

Dossier:

Until the early 90's Boris Zingarevich, along with his brother Michael worked as a mechanic at the Leningrad cardboard factory. In 1992 they created "Ilim Pulp" - a company for export of paper products. Then they got reassigned to the woods production, and over the years have bought about 30 logging companies - then timber industry enterprises were sold at very low prices.

Easy money in the timber industry caused competition that turned into criminal fights. Most of them appeared to be in Arkhangelsk region, where the main enterprise of the holding - Kotlas PPM was. In the region, the company has developed a bad reputation to the extent that one day in January 2002, half the guests did not appear on the anniversary of the governor Anatoly Efremov, having learnt that Zingarevich brothers and their partner Zakhar Smushkin were going to be there.

In spring 1999 the house of the head of the Arkhangelsk PPC Vladimir Krupchak was bombed. In the summer of 1999 the head of OAO “Solombalskiy LDK" Evgeny Drachev and his driver were kidnapped by unknown. A few months later director general of forestry complex the department of the regional administration, Alexander Bulatov was beaten. It’s difficult to say whether those events were connected to the activities of Ilim Pulp. However, its top managers- Smushkin and the Zingareviches could have argued with those people, because the struggle for supremacy in the timber industry was very tough, and Arkhangelsk region was considered a "fiefdom" of Ilim Pulp in the field. The regional law enforcement agencies had a huge dirt on the heads of the holding, but for some reason the case went "down on the brakes" every time.

For example, the same story happened with the murder of Dmitry Varvarin, Director General of ZAP "Concern" Orimi”, the main competitor of Ilim Pulp. He was shot in St. Petersburg in March of 2000. The heads of Ilim Pulp, including Boris Zingarevich had sufficient motives for the killing, including the competition and the fact that Varvarin supported the campaign of Yuri Boldyrev for the post of mayor of St. Petersburg, which was obviously to fail. In addition, Varvarin owned shares of Ilim Pulp, so he begged Smushkin and Zingarevichey as his partners to allocate money for it.

A few days after the murder of Varvarin, unknown people killed another founder of "Orimi”, Sergey Krizhan together with his family.

Law enforcement agencies considered the version according to which the two murders were connected with the management of Ilim Pulp, as the most probable, but somehow forgot about it; the team of investigators was excluded from the investigation.

Source: Kompromat.ru from 31.07.2002

The involvement of the heads of "Ilim Pulp" in the second killing has not been confirmed, as in 2005, Andrey Yurevich - the son of commercial director of “Plastpolymer", Victor Yurevich, and two accomplices - Alexander Ulyanov and Vyacheslav Shinkarev were sentenced for that murder. Krizhan was chairman of the board of directors of the company and clashed with Viktor Yurevich.

The newspaper "Kommersant-Petersburg" № 216 (3300) on 17.11.2005

In spring and autumn of 2000, a new wave of crime passed.

In March, the director of Agency Company, lumber exporter - Vladimir Malkov was attacked. And in October, the hotel "Polina", owned by Krupchak was set on fire. As leader of the Arkhangelsk Pulp and Paper Mill, he was a major player in timber market and he could have possibly conflicted to the Zingarevicheses and Smushkin quite often. In 2001 Dmitry Belyaev, External Manager of LDK-4 was attacked. Again, the connection with the management of Ilim Pulp was not confirmed, but it was on the cards, as Ilim Pulp had been seeking for the rule in the forest sector, and Belyaev could have threatened the interests of their company by his business, or could have simply competed with its leaders.

Boris Zingarevich together with the companions did the business of "Ilim Pulp" not very successful, at least for their enterprises. The main one was the debts of Kotlas pulp and paper mill in Arkhangelsk region, Bratsk Timber Complex in the Irkutsk region, as well as others, they had ruthlessly cut down the forest, accidents happened frequently, the equipment was worn out or even broken. At the same salaries were miserable.

Until 2000, the shareholders of Ilim Pulp had not received dividends. Ostensibly, they were invested in production development, but in reality everything was falling apart. The problem was that all the investments in production then were exempt from taxation. Once the tax credit was abolished, dividends went.

In addition, it became clear that Kotlas Pulp came under the control of Ilim Pulp illegally: during the investment competition the money, which the company pledged to invest in a company, were transferred to its account for one day and then were sent back to the accounts of Smushkin and the Zingarevicheses. But formally everything looked legitimate.

They purchased equipment for the companies in an interesting way: at very high prices, while in fact only half of it was brought. The money also flowed to foreign accounts of the firms affiliated with Ilim Pulp.

Other financial frauds by the Zingarevicheses and Smushkin were turned in the Bratsk Timber Industry Complex (BTIC). First they formed huge debts for electricity for the budget of Bratsk and many others. And in 1998 the company established a subsidiary company OAO "Pulp and Cardboard Plant (PCP) and began to place there their liquid assets. Thus, BTIC eventually had unprofitable production and debts. The state had a stake in BTIC and did not impede the withdrawal of assets.

Only Dmitry Medvedev, the current president objected that, then in 1993 he was Director of Legal Affairs "Ilim Pulp", and since 1998 -a member of the Board of Directors in BTIC. His relationship with the Zingarevicheses and Smushkin worsened, and in 1999 they were completely stopped - he was distracted by new concerns associated with climbing the career ladder.

In October 2001 it became known that Ilim Pulp committed deals for the sale of pulp and paper factory to offshore companies. Then the shareholders of OAO “Irkutskenergo" which was the main creditor of BTIC - appealed to the federal agencies. They failed to find out the truth because of the legal tricks: documents submitted to the commission, were valid, but for the period prior to the fraud.

After that the minority shareholders of BTIC went to court, and it ordered to reinstate the dismissed general director BTIC George Trifonov. He restored an order, paid the debts. The Zingarevicheses and Smushkin were defeated. But when in 2002 BTIC came under their control again, they began to restore the old order by dismissing disloyal people and replacing them with loyal ones, uncomprehending in the timber industry.

In addition, the holding company began the blockade of the Ust-Ilim Timber Complex (UiLPK) by not sending paid commodity to the company. All forces were driven to expell the head of the trade union, Yuri Savinkov, they wrote denunciations to the prosecutor's office against the former Complex director Andrey Prokopov. The new head of UiLPK Vladimir Batishchev reported that Prokopov took away the production equipment. It was a slander - he just took jeeps belonging to the management company “Continental Invest”.

In early February 2002 UILPK was entirely under the control of Ilim Pulp.

Source: Kompromat.ru from 13.02.2002

In April 2002, Ilim Pulp lost control over Kotlas and Bratsk pulp and paper mills. There were two lawsuits from shareholders, after which the company’s shares were arrested, and then purchased for the benefit of companies affiliated with the actual new owners - "Basic Element", "Continental management" and "Banking House" Sankt-Petersburg". Oleg Deripaska was behind those machinations, who wanted to get a strategic advantage in the industry.

Source: corp-gov.ru from 29.09.2003

Fair enough. Its the lottery that comes whenever a club is for sale. At least I would hope that with the criticism of the FAPPT following both the first Man City purchase and ultimately the portsmouth history, hopefully, it will be more rigorous, so if passed, you will be a able to feel confident that its all above board.

I always thought McDermott was down to earth honest guy and is obviously a very good manager, but my opinion of him has been somewhat lowered after he disrespected us by claiming his team were the best team in the league by a "long long way".

"Since the seventh game of the season we've been the best team in this division by a long, long way"

In my mind the table does not lie so come 28th April we will know who the best team was. Ok his team have been on an amazing run and have arguably been the better team since November however the only true indicator of which team being the best is by final league placing. Maybe he got lost in the moment due to the euphoria of getting promoted.

I reckon his words should be used as extra motivation to go on and win the league. No one can deny us being the best team should we do it and vice versa for reading.

not something I'm going to lose much sleep over......he's always struck me as a pretty down-to-earth bloke and am not going to change my opinion based on him blowing some smoke up his own team's a*se and making them feel good......NA does it for us in every interview, positively reinforcing how good our players are and what a great club we are and how we're moving in right direction.....I'd call it good management tbh....

If football were sex... I kinda see Reading as the missionary position with a long standing partner - cant argue that its good' date=' effective and gets the job done and enjoyable. Saints are more like the Karma sutra - do it any which way you can, exciting and adventurous, much more enjoyable, but not every position is that comfortable but you gotta try it at least one.[/quote']

Perv.

a sensible and balanced response, good on ya mate and well done to all at Reading - hope we join you at the top table next season :o)

2 - Saints - 15pts

23 - Reading - 3 pts

It's futile and almost pointless to try to calculate a points per game since the 7th game stat, but I've never let futility or pointlessness stop me from doing something.

If our form over the entire season is projected out we would finish on 89 points (88.9 - currently 1.93 points per game)

If Reading's form after the 6th game is projected out then they would finish on 102 points (101.7 @ 2.21 points per game)

To continue the futile assumptions, if a team finished the Championship on 102 and their nearest rival was on 89 points, would we complain if the pundits said they had been the best team by a long, long way?

Technically they've got a 14.5% better points per game return in the 37 games that McDermott is citing.

but not sure it was 'diplomatic'

Yep I'd agree with that but he'd just got his team promoted and won £50M+ on the Premiership Lotto. I can forgive him that. But as it's a pointless stat anyway, we'd do best to congratulate them and ignore it. #irony

Please feel free to check my sums - or not.

It's futile and almost pointless to try to calculate a points per game since the 7th game stat, but I've never let futility or pointlessness stop me from doing something.

If our form over the entire season is projected out we would finish on 89 points (88.9 - currently 1.93 points per game)

If Reading's form after the 6th game is projected out then they would finish on 102 points (101.7 @ 2.21 points per game)

To continue the futile assumptions, if a team finished the Championship on 102 and their nearest rival was on 89 points, would we complain if the pundits said they had been the best team by a long, long way?

Technically they've got a 14.5% better points per game return in the 37 games that McDermott is citing.

Yep I'd agree with that but he'd just got his team promoted and won £50M+ on the Premiership Lotto. I can forgive him that. But as it's a pointless stat anyway, we'd do best to congratulate them and ignore it. #irony

Please feel free to check my sums - or not.

Think the 'diplomatic' thing is because like too many, my immeduate reaction was to get wound up about it.... with the benfit of reflection, as you say, its a case of manager bigs up his team - so a non-story, unless we make it one... Would still love to finish top though :D

But can they keep up?!

Always makes me laught that one - given how much it wound Brighton up.... especially as teh actual quote went something ike this:

Interviewer: do you think you can keep up with Brighton?

NA: Can they keep up with us!...(tongue in cheek)... then into the usual about focusing on us, positives, one game at a time etc... they seemed to think it would have been better for NA to so, 'no we cant they are too good and so mucj better than us!'

It's a throw away comment really.

How can you make such comparison unless you've seen all 44 games of all 24 clubs, it's impossible to tell.

Of course being top of the league, beating us & West Ham away & having been on such a tremendous run he's got every right to make that assumption IMHO, but that's all it is... an assumption.

He sees his players everyday in training so of course he's going to say these things. He is obviously a top manager, full credit to him & his players.

There's little difference in the comments he has made here and those that Adkins made about Brighton last season that infuriated their fans. It's mind games, games men ship, all this comment suggests is confidence in his only players & rightly so

This wholly depends on your definition of best.

I haven't met anyone sane (which rules out half of this board, granted) who thinks we weren't head and shoulders the best football team against Reading.

Truth is though that they were the winners...

Take last night, were Chelsea the better team? No, but they won...

Fair play to Reading, they have made inspired signings (Gorks and Roberts) and play a style of football I would hate to watch but which is effective...for now...

I think that occasionally the best team can lose a game but over a season the best team usually ends up top cos they're the best team. It's quite simple really.

With regards to mcdermott's comment, well, the facts back him up, but I don't see that as disrespecting us at all. He's right. But the season is 46 games, not 40. If we could leave out 6 defeats or 5 and 1 draw, whatever it is Reading got in those 6 games, then it would be a different story again.

Really, who cares? He's done a great job at Reading. Fair play to them.

We're Southampton, let's move on.

I'd say they've got the most points, but as Friday (and our win at Leeds) showed, getting the most points doesn't necessarily always happen to the best team.

In fact they've been pretty spawny since the West Ham game - but you can't argue with results.

Might also be worth pointing out that we'd have by far the best record if you took out our 7 worst performances as well -say lose some of December and January from our season the way McDermott wants to drop August/September from theirs. That's kinda why there's a League table and everyone plays everyone twice.

If they are so much better how do you explain the battering we gave them at SMS? OK they won the game, but didn't deserve it. Personally I would have waited until the end of the season before giving it the big I am. Congrats and all and the play off final was tough on you so good stuff this year, but please **** off with the ********.

And his claim is that, after the first 7 games, Reading have been the best team. .

I wish people would stop missquoting him. Half the people on here are missing the key point - "long, long way" were his words.

I for one dispute that, and we can all select periods of the season that put us in the best light, so it's an academic exercise ("lies, damn lies and statistics").

Let's see who the "best" team is after next weekend; and even if it turns out to be them, it still won't be by a "long, long way".

I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

The way they celebrated on Tuesday, you'd think they had already won the League. History shows that teams have a tendency to take their foot off the gas once the main "job" is done. I think they have done fantastic to get where they are but I am not personally convinced they will have the focus to win their last two now, so it is up to us to win our last two and hopefully nick the title at home against Coventry!:lol:

Imo the stats make interesting reading.

I've have looked at the records for the top 6 since the 1st March, which I view as the run in.

Brum & Cardiff have records of 4w-6d-2l = 1.5 points a game.

Blackpool has been 4-4-3 = 1.45 ppg.

Hoof Ball Sam has been 4-7-1 = 1.58 ppg.

Reading have a record of 10-1-1 = 2.58 ppg.

Nigel has been like Nigel of last season 7w-2d-2l = 2.09 ppg.

We have averaged near to 2 ppg for most of last season and the early part of this season, so we have been consistent, but Reading record of 10-1-1 has just been too good for us.

However if you look at some of those matches they have been second best in the game yet have still gone on to win the game and the 3pts.

I.e. the game against us we had 19 attempts of which 12 were on target i.e.(19,12) and they had (6,4) yet they scored 3 out of their 4 attempts on target. Likewise against Brighton it was Brighton (13,7) against Reading (7,2) i.e they scored from 1 of their 2 attempts on target. Against HoofBall they had (11,8 ) and scored 4 from their 8 attempts on target (Stats from the BBC web pages).

So as far a McDermott saying they have been the best side by a "long long way", I think not.

As a team they know how to "weather the storm" when the opposition are on top and be "very clinical" with their limited chances they get. (Even on tuesday in their home game against Forest the stats were Reading (7,4) - Forest (15,8 ) (and I believe Forest had a shot cleared off the line late in the game). Things could have so easily have gone against them in some of those games i.e. Jos missing 3 near post headers (2 into the crowd and 1 he just missed the ball) yet he scored on Tuesday within 3 mins from his only chance.

IMO they know how to get the "best results" but are a long way from being the "best team", because they have been "outplayed" by a number of teams.

Who cares anyway. Beating us last Friday has made them think they've earned bragging rights for the time being,it's what happens when you get beaten by your nearest (and probably only real) rival.Happened with us and Brighton last season, weren't we supposed to have been disrespectful when we wouldn't give them a guard of honour.We shall see who is the better side next season anyway.

Imo the stats make interesting reading.

I've have looked at the records for the top 6 since the 1st March, which I view as the run in.

Brum & Cardiff have records of 4w-6d-2l = 1.5 points a game.

Blackpool has been 4-4-3 = 1.45 ppg.

Hoof Ball Sam has been 4-7-1 = 1.58 ppg.

Reading have a record of 10-1-1 = 2.58 ppg.

Nigel has been like Nigel of last season 7w-2d-2l = 2.09 ppg.

We have averaged near to 2 ppg for most of last season and the early part of this season, so we have been consistent, but Reading record of 10-1-1 has just been too good for us.

However if you look at some of those matches they have been second best in the game yet have still gone on to win the game and the 3pts.

I.e. the game against us we had 19 attempts of which 12 were on target i.e.(19,12) and they had (6,4) yet they scored 3 out of their 4 attempts on target. Likewise against Brighton it was Brighton (13,7) against Reading (7,2) i.e they scored from 1 of their 2 attempts on target. Against HoofBall they had (11,8 ) and scored 4 from their 8 attempts on target (Stats from the BBC web pages).

So as far a McDermott saying they have been the best side by a "long long way", I think not.

As a team they know how to "weather the storm" when the opposition are on top and be "very clinical" with their limited chances they get. (Even on tuesday in their home game against Forest the stats were Reading (7,4) - Forest (15,8 ) (and I believe Forest had a shot cleared off the line late in the game). Things could have so easily have gone against them in some of those games i.e. Jos missing 3 near post headers (2 into the crowd and 1 he just missed the ball) yet he scored on Tuesday within 3 mins from his only chance.

IMO they know how to get the "best results" but are a long way from being the "best team", because they have been "outplayed" by a number of teams.

Exactly what I was thinking but you've taken time to find the evidence so thank you.

It all depends on how you judge the best team.

If you judge the best team to be the one that wins in style, dominating most of their opposition and playing in high scoring matches, it's us.

If you judge the best team to be the team that gets the most points, it's them.

Personally, I think the best team is the one that sits at the top of the league table after 46 games. Hopefully that will be us.

Edited by Barry the Badger